Moving Itunes music from Windows 7 to Windows 10 machines?

Started by Blinkin, January 18, 2016, 02:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Hello all:

We just got a new notebook and my wife, who's a music nut, wants to move her massive music library from the old system (Windows 7) to the new system (Windows 10). We tried to copy and paste the music to a 2gb thumb drive a "few" files at a time, and it seemed to work, but when we put the thumb drive into the new system... no files.

So, we must be doing something wrong. As my wife is obsessive about her tunes,  is there a simple way to do this that will actually work? There are 2,500 songs on the old notebook.

Thanks,
Blinkin
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Beguile's Mistress

You might do better to use an external hard drive and move the files from one drive to the other rather than copy/paste.  When moving images I use the move option and transfer the folder rather than individual files.  It may take a few minutes for all of the data to move but it can be a cleaner operation.

jouzinka

What types of files are you copying? Is the music physically on the computer or is it bought music from iTunes?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Blinkin

As far as I know, it's  on the system; she's purchased and downloaded music for years, so I assume that it's on the system, she says it is at least.

I don't mess with her computer; she screws it up just fine on her own. lol
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

jouzinka

If it's music purchased through iTunes, then they don't download mp3s. As far as I understood it, you have to burn the music on CD through iTunes as a backup and then grab it into your comouter as a regular CD
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

RedPhoenix

Can't you just set up the new computer to be the new itunes host and then download them all again?
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Blinkin

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.