News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Siege of Carisbrooke Castle [Complete]

Started by Valerian, December 11, 2009, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

More trouble and more death; she knew that the king's death couldn't have been the 'accident' that all the healers and royal family had claimed it was. Sir Edward was proof of that - he'd been a staunch and vocal supporter of the young queen, who had known her since she was a young girl claiming she would slay all manner of evil dragons from atop her rugged mountain pony. Now she was older, and from atop her splendid gray stallion, her poise and strength eased many of the fears of the people, who had worried that she might not be fit for the position of Queen.

But of course, that wouldn't satisfy some of the Councilors. There had been murmurs and whisperings of rebellion for days, and Caeli was certain that there were some conservative councilors who did not wish to see such a young, liberally-minded Queen on the throne.

She raised her goblet of white wine and sipped, taking her measure of the group. "It seems there is already a majority, but I would rather agree with Mithlomwen and Ket - Amberghylles has always seemed the level-headed sort, and he is a close confidante of Her Majesty, to boot. I think he would make a fine Regent."
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Valerian

Final Voting (Regent):

LadySky (6) - sinera, Haibane, Teno, Winterborn, country, Moirae
Ket (Ribbons & Bows) (4) - Remiel, Imogen, SleepyWei, Marguerite
Amberghylles (3) - Mith, Ket, Caeli
Remiel (3) - Elandra, Xandi, Kip
Aiden (1) - Aiden
Mithlomwen (1) - Amberghylles
Moirae (1) - LadySky
Ryven (1) - Ryven
Caeli (0)
country (0)
Elandra (0)
Haibane (0)
Imogen (0)
Kip (0)
Marguerite (0)
sinera (0)
SleepyWei (0)
Teno (0)
Winterborn (0)
Xandi (0)

With LadySky officially named as Regent, the court turned its attention to the excellent food provided for them.  The rest of the day was filled with matters of state, all of which seemed to go well, and by the time the group retired for the night, all were pleased at what they had accomplished.

The next morning, however, brought further grim news.  Remiel, a loyal Councilor, was dead in his bed, brutally killed as he slept.  The court was in turmoil.  Action had to be taken, swiftly.

• Aiden
  • Amberghylles
  • Caeli
  • country
  • Elandra
  • Haibane
  • Imogen
  • Ket
  • Kip
  • *LadySky
  • Marguerite
  • Mithlomwen
  • Moirae
  • Remiel - Councilor, killed by rebels
  • Ryven
  • sinera
  • SleepyWei
  • Teno
  • Winterborn
  • Xandi

There are 7 Rebels, 1 Weaponsmaster, 1 Historian, 1 Alchemist, 1 Healer, and 8 Councilors.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

LadySky

A frantic knock sounded at LadySky's chamber door and she rushed to see what could be so important at so early an hour. Finding out the Remiel had been murdered made her blood run cold and she trembled worriedly while she dressed in her mourning clothes. At this rate the kingdom would be swathed in black for years.

Once she had made her way downstairs and met with her new advisers she stated her vote for Aiden, he was the only one yesterday who openly showed such a hostile attitude towards those trying to serve the Queen. She sat down in her newly assigned seat and tried to eat her breakfast but her hand shook so badly barely a bite made it to her lips.
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Ryven

"I rather think Marguerite was more likely to pull off such a deed.  I have nothing to go on though."  Ryven said before going to pay respects to a fellow knight.

Autumn52

Lady Xandi terrified by the events of the evening, Lord Remiel a loyal servant of the crown found dead in his bed was terrifying indeed. As Lady Xandi scanned the others she remembered that in the vote yesterday, "Marguerite" had seemed more interested in the peasant boy with the strong arms and large thighs than she was in the vote for a New Regent. Lady Xandi placed her vote for her since her behavior was so suspious.

After placing her vote Lady Xandi, exhausted from mourning over her dear friend Lord Remiel, left the others so that she could mourn in silence.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Imogen

"Marguerite is far too busy with stable boys." Imogen toyed with the crucifix she wore on a delicate chain around her neck. "If there's anyone we know where she was last night, it's the "lady" Marguerite." Her voice was a bit petulant as she devoutly lowered her eyes.

"As for Lord Aiden, I agree he's a brute. But he was right to trust no one. Lord Remiel has been murdered by stealthily hands in the night. If Lord Aiden had killed him, he'd have butchered him in the open.. Even in the courtyard maybe...." The lady shivered and her fingers tightened around the plain cross.

"I believe the lady Moirae to be the murderer. Perhaps in her evil ways, she has sought to repay Ladysky for her vote by removing the regent's closest competition."

Lady Imogen rose and bowed her head to those present. "If you'll excuse me... I will be in the chapel, praying for us all."
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Valerian

Current Voting (Lynch):

Haibane (4) - Mithlomwen, Amberghylles, Elandra, Caeli
Marguerite (2) - Ryven, Xandi
Aiden (1) - LadySky
Amberghylles (1) - SleepyWei
Imogen (1) - Moirae
Mithlomwen (1) - Teno
Moirae (1) - Imogen
Caeli (0)
country (0)
Elandra (0)
Ket (Ribbons & Bows) (0)
Kip (0)
LadySky (0)
Remiel (0)
Ryven (0)
sinera (0)
SleepyWei (0)
Teno (0)
Winterborn (0)
Xandi (0)

Yet to vote: Aiden, country, Haibane, Ket, Kip, Marguerite, sinera, Winterborn

There are 7 Rebels, 1 Weaponsmaster, 1 Historian, 1 Alchemist, 1 Healer, and 8 Councilors.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

desert ashes

Perhaps in her evil ways?  Moirae stood stunned in the doorway, having just heard of her dear Remiel's death and then Imogen's slander.  While the loss of the King was grave, indeed, to lose a beloved was even worse.  The loss was acute and wore heavily on the woman's frame.  Yet, she could say nothing to Imogen, merely turn her head away to hide the tears and quietly find a place at the end of the table. 

"That my fondness for Remiel would be so smeared is heartbreaking," she murmured and drew in a quiet breath.  "Thus, I vote for Imogen."  She hadn't an inkling who the real killer was, but she was hurting enough to lash back.
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Mithlomwen

The Lady Mith stared in shock and disbelief as word reached her ears of Remiel's death.  How could this have happened?  She listened as the threats and accusations flew around, not knowing who to believe or who she could trust.  There was no way to know who was responsible for the murder of one of their own, at this moment everyone was a suspect. 

She pointed a finger at Haibane not having any real idea if she was guilty, but the paranoia of having a murder among them caused her to place blame where there possibly was none.   
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Amberghylles

Amberghylles watched the exchange between Imogen and Moirae as accusations about Marguerite floated in the air, though which was the more unflattering version of her actions the night before was hard to be sure of.

"Regent Ladysky," he said quietly, "I do have to agree that while Lord Aiden might have been inclined to harm the departed Lord Remiel, he does not strike me as a man who would act in under the cover of night in such a cowardly manner.  My own suspicions lie with a motive less passionate.  I think there are those who would seek to subvert the rightful rule of the young Queen in favor of a less willful choice.  Lacking clear proof, I will say that Lady Haibane has lost certain valuable lands to the crown.  I hate to cast such aspirations, as many others have been given similar motive to violate their oaths of fealty by the late King and remained loyal to the crown."

Haibane

Given the votes against her in the council chamber, Lady Haibane stood up and straightened her back.

"My Lady Regent, my Lords, Ladies, Knights, Gentlemen..." her gaze swiftly measured the room, "And you other lowly curs... I see there is a motion to vote me as the murderer. May I say a few words?"

The lady looked about the room, silence was her witness.

"I thank you."

"Among us we have a rebel party, some group of persons undesirable who are about some dark mischief, for a purpose for I know what end. However given our youthful Princess and our Lady Regent I would vouch that they seek their own form of power. They have already struck! The blood of Sir Edward and Lord Remiel is already on their hands! We, my friends, sit among murderers."

"Takers of noble blood! The basest of crimes."

"This is not a time to point fingers randomly or in panic at those we might personally distrust. This is a time for those loyal to the Princess to stand together and strike back at the cancerous rebels within our noble court. For it is a noble court. A Royal court. And in its hour of need it beseeches of noble people."

The lady drew herself higher, lifting her chin. "I am no rebel! I swear allegiance on all that is holy - the Good Book itself - that I am pure and loyal of heart and will serve our Princess. I would ask those yet to cast their votes to search their hearts and look at the votes already cast for the Regent. Look at the names. Study these things and dwell on them. There is to be seen in the voting pattern I fear, a story writ by the guilty!"

"I am a loyal councillor. I believe there is meaning in those who voted in the majority for either Lady Sky or Lord Remiel (may the Lord have mercy on his soul). Lady Sinera, myself, Lord Teno, Lord Winterborn, Lord Country, Lady Moirae all voted for Lady Sky. If Lady Sky is a rebel then there, my kinsmen are your Rebels!"

"Should you put me to death then my death, being innocent shall have served its purpose! Look to those who voted me to the gallows."

"Lord Ket was voted for by Lord Remiel, Lady Imogen, Lady SleepyWei and Lady Marguerite. We know that Lord Remiel has fallen to the Rebels already. I believe that the above names are pure and loyal."

"Look at the names and the voting that has gone before. Choose nobly, my friends. Choose wisely. Only your conscience will lie on your shoulders..."

Casting a further glance around the room Lady Haibane sat down having still not cast her vote.

SleepyWei

"I do not know whether or not I should take your words for compliment or insult, Lady Haibane." Lord Sleepywei snorted and crossed his legs while he idly fingered his goblet of wine. "I do hope that you spoke that merely in jest or I shall take your comment as a blow to my masculinity."

"But aside from that all..." He cast an eye to the Lady who had just spoken so fervently. "Surely, no one here aside from the assailants themselves would know who killed the late Lord Remiel. We have no evidence, no proof... merely speculation. Of course hysteria will rouse us to call for death. For it is in our nature to seek closure, no matter how baseless it might be."

The humorless lord then turned his gaze to the other party that had voted for their lady regent. "Your argument bares good judgment, my Lady Haibane. Merely the fact that those two agreed so quickly to cast you into the gallows may be proof enough that they are not as innocent as they might appear."

He then offered Lady Haibane a smile and nodded. "I shall trust your words today then and place my vote for our dear Lord Amberghylles."

Haibane

The Lady Haibane demurely bowed to Lord SleepyWei. "A thousand apologies, my Lord for the error over your gender. It has been a most distracting time..."

Quote"Your argument bares good judgment, my Lady Haibane. Merely the fact that those two agreed so quickly to cast you into the gallows may be proof enough that they are not as innocent as they might appear."
If two persons were to so quickly align to smear the name of another without proof does that not in itself imply they are in league? Or know something we do not? And the only party here in league - or who know something - are the Rebels."

"I rest my case."

The Lady bowed again and returned to her seat.

Amberghylles

Lord Amberghylles scoffed.  "By the logic of voting in unison, you would accuse Lady Xandi and Lord Ryven of being rebels for both suspecting Lady Marguerite and voicing their opinions together.  I will confess, I do count Lady Mithlomwen as a close friend and we did confer in private about our suspicions before voting.  However, casting doubt upon me for merely failing to vote for  your choice of regent is little more than a thinly veiled power play at best and a childish slur at worst."

Haibane

Lady Haibane remained silent, merely fixing Lord Amberghylles with a calm gaze. Clearly emotions were running so high that reason was departing people's minds. All it required was calm logic. Of course, if those speaking were Rebels already, then the discussion was fruitless. Or worse than that.

Teno

"I think perhaps Lady Haibane has a point there." Teno began. He looked to all in the court, taking in to account the votes which had gone before. "There is truth in you words I feel, but we should still go with caution. Untill otherwise proven innocent, we are all as suspect as the next person. However, after saying that, blindly pointing the finger at people can lead to loyal people being unfairly punished. I feel Mithlowmen may be trying to misdirect us all."

Mithlomwen

Mithlomwen shook her head at the accusation.  "I am most certainly not."  Glancing around the room, she swept her hand wide to encompass the whole group.  "Can you good sir, pinpoint exactly who the murder is?  If so, then pray please enlighten us as to who you think it is, for I would most certainly vote for them instead of an innocent.  Who says that the Lady Haibane is not in fact the one trying to lead us astray for trying to cast doubt amongst us already in regards to whom we have voted for."  She quirked an eyebrow at Teno awaiting his answer to that.  "Someone here is guilty of murder, and until it can be proven who in fact did such a horrific deed, everyone is suspect are they not?" 
Baby, it's all I know,

Elandra

There was no question, there was a murderer or murderers amongst them, rebels who clearly wanted to disrupt the way of things. Lady Elandra had no clue whom these rebels were, she only certain that she was not one.

Listening to the words of others, she became convinced that Mith spoke truth and so she voted with her, “Haibane is guilty of this despicable act.”
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Caeli

Guildmaster Caeli's bark of laughter was sharp, as she strode into the dining hall after Lady Haibane finished her drivel-ridden speech. The follies of sheltered nobles - they all thought everything was black and white, that good and evil could be split so evenly. "Oh, please. Would any rebels against the throne be so obvious? If all those councilors who voted for LadySky are rebels, I'll eat my grandmaster's pin whole." The sword-and-shield pin featuring prominently on her lapel marked her as a grandmaster of the Weaponsmith's Guild; there were a number of other guildmasters on the Queen's council, though she was one of the only women. "If LadySky is a rebel, nobody but she and the other traitors would know it; if you look at the simple probability, there are bound to be faithful councilors who would fall into the vote unknowingly. We have every one of us served the Crown faithfully until now, after all.

"And likewise - just because Lord Remiel is now dead, does not mean that those who voted for him to be Regent were innocent. There is no way any of us can know who is traitor, unless that person is also a traitor."

Caeli sipped her goblet of wine and shrugged as she took a seat. "I don't know who supports the princess, and who plots to overthrow her - but don't you think you're protesting a little too much, milady?" For better or worse, she'd cast her vote for Haibane; there simply was no way to tell who was on Her Majesty's side, and who was not.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

country

Argument and discourse.  Would the court ever be different?  It seemed that every decision was always preceded by endless rounds of rhetoric.  We seemed doomed to endure sessions of innuendo, gossip, and even scurrilous comments about members of our court.  Occasionally, we see a flash of wit and even an odd attempt at logic. 

But. as the day progresses with the court consuming more wine, the dialogue becomes ever more intertwined and interwoven.  With some arguments, it is difficult to determine if the intent is to confuse or clarify the minds of the listeners.  Are we to be wooed or put to sleep?

How are we to know that Lord Ryven, Lady Sinera, Lord SleepyWei, Lord Teno, or Lord Winterborn, to name but a few at random, are not involved?  I look to Lord Winterborn and ask where his loyalty lies?

sinera

sinera entered quietly, as was her wont, taking her accustomed place at the table. She'd heard many of the arguments as she'd made her way to the hall - the castle was great for acoustics.

She thought about what Haibane said, and her words moved sinera... however Amberghylles also made a good point about ambition and removing competition. Although Aiden was the type to strike openly, was Lord Ryven also that type?

If he were working with the rebels to remove those who would be considered effective regents for the land, then all those who received 3 or 4 votes had better sleep lightly and with a dagger under their pillows. She herself had taken to sleeping with one, even though she prayed she was of small enough importance for the rebels to overlook.
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Haibane

Lady Haibane rose again with a sigh. It seemed the rebels were gathering and making no effort to hide their intent.

"I am innocent. I know this, yet there is no proof except what is in my heart. It is plain to me that the rebels among us are circling to kill off the one innocent party here who dares to speak against them. Note well their names: Mithlomwen, Amberghylles, Caeli, Elandra... and whomsover else votes that I should die an innocent death. These are your rebels. These are the guilty. At dawn, should I walk to the executioner's block I shall do so with a light step and a glad heart for I know that my death would not be in vain, for my blood will spill out and writ the names of the guilty. When my innocence is proven, so shall their wicked deeds."

"I state before you all that Amberghylles is guilty - a person who has demonstrated this fact by alluding to private conversations between himself and Mithlomwen, for none of us can be sure of the identity of any other except the rebels who communicate by hidden signs and proofs. To claim you trust another in a private room is to prove you both are rebels. I ask those remaining loyal to Her Majesty to note these my views and to stand together to vote en-bloc for the wicked Amberghylles, for the time will soon come when there are precious few of those loyal left to affect the outcome."

"I go now to rest in my private chambers, though I know those of true heart will report to me the discussions of import in my absence. Good day to all of you who have honour."

With this Lady Haibane withdrew with her personal chambermaid and bodyguard.

Mithlomwen

"So you draw your conclusion that he is guilty simply because he confers with me?  What about the rest of the good folk here who have spoken privately with another?  Does that make them guilty as well?"  Lady Mithlomwen asked her curiously.  "I can assure you that I am no rebel, and I suspect that if Amberghylles was a rebel he would not be speaking with me about whom the killer was." 

She glanced around the room once more, looking each and every person in the eye and then sat down.  "Me thinks you protest so loudly because you are trying to place blame elsewhere, instead of where it belongs. On the rebel's shoulders." 
Baby, it's all I know,

Valerian

Current Voting (Lynch):

Haibane (4) - Mithlomwen, Amberghylles, Elandra, Caeli
Amberghylles (2) - SleepyWei, Haibane
Marguerite (2) - Ryven, Xandi
Aiden (1) - LadySky
Imogen (1) - Moirae
Mithlomwen (1) - Teno
Moirae (1) - Imogen
Ryven (1) - sinera
Winterborn (1) - country
Caeli (0)
country (0)
Elandra (0)
Ket (Ribbons & Bows) (0)
Kip (0)
LadySky (0)
Remiel (0)
sinera (0)
SleepyWei (0)
Teno (0)
Xandi (0)

Yet to vote: Aiden, Ket, Kip, Marguerite, Winterborn

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Winterborn

The least experienced of the councilors sat slightly apart from his colleagues, carving idly on the table with his dirk as they bickered over right and wrong, rebel and patriot. He decided himself safe from the accusation of conspiracy, since he had neither sought council nor given it to others, instead remaining -- as he was now -- apart. It was obvious to him that he had to cast a vote along with the others, but he had no desire to strike down another without just cause. There were no rivalries between his house and any of the others, nor any alliances. Were there any, he would leap at the chance to bring them down.

What was not apparent was the purpose behind this panicking, reminiscent to him of the bleating of frightened sheep. Sheep who sniff wolves on the air, he thought to himself, and with that he stood, his mind cleared.

"Without further evidence of malignance by any of the lords and ladies here, I can do naught but trust to the wisdom of our newly elected regent." Here, he bowed to Lady Sky. "As such, I cast my vote in with hers. I denounce Lord Aiden as a rebel and a murderer." Sitting, he picked up his long bladed dagger again, setting it's tip on the table and turning it with his fingers so that it dug into the wood. This satisfied both honor, and his own personal aversion to throw his lot in with panicky civilians.