A Question for Tech-Savvy Folks

Started by Avi, March 12, 2009, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

I have an HP dv2815nr laptop, and I'm wondering if it is at all practical for a laptop to be upgraded, say, with an enhanced processor.  I've never run into the problem myself, but I would like a faster computer, and I really don't want to have to go out and buy a whole new laptop.  It's less than a year old, so it's not really out-dated or anything like that.  Can Geek Squad or other fine folks upgrade laptops, or no?
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Oniya

The problem with upgrading laptops is that they are so tightly packed.  I used to work in a place where I would have to do things like swap hard drives in and out of computers, and it was a mess working on the laptops - the only thing worse was putting a new drive in an iMac.  Ram upgrades weren't too bad, but the lab I worked for never upgraded processor chips, and those aren't usually an end-user replacement either.

Possible, maybe - if you get the right geek (and based on other people's reports, Geek Squad may not be it).  However, I wouldn't be surprised if it is as pricey (or more so) as getting a new machine.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avi

Gah!  *curses my luck*  I just got Empire: Total War today, and I meet all of the system requirements EXCEPT the processor.  RAM is more than high enough, and the video card is fine.  The only thing is the damn processor, and I know from experience that it's the most important requirement.  2.0 ghz instead of 2.4 ghz. X_X

Oniya

http://www.pcworld.com/article/148910/replace_your_laptops_cpu.html

Found this article - if you have some local tech-savvy geek friends that are comfortable with doing it, this could help, and you might be able to barter with them.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

If you have a very tech-savvy friend (i.e., one who upgrades with his/her own laptop), I would suggest letting them do it rather than having it done professionally.

Personally, if you can afford it, I would suggest that build a desktop for gaming. It's way cheaper than buying a kick-ass laptop, and it's dozens of times easier to upgrade.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Avi

That's what I've come to understand... a desktop is just a massive hassle in college, though.  *thinks*  Might be ironic if my OLD laptop can run the game, though.  I'll have to check on that when I get home tomorrow.  Lol

Caeli

Quote from: Avi on March 12, 2009, 06:14:41 PM
That's what I've come to understand... a desktop is just a massive hassle in college, though.  *thinks*  Might be ironic if my OLD laptop can run the game, though.  I'll have to check on that when I get home tomorrow.  Lol

Only if you live in campus. If you live off campus and you plan on staying there for a good 1-2 years, it might be worth it to invest in it, especially if you're a gamer.

My friend put together the sickest desktop ever, for about $1000, and it runs practically silent - you can't even hear it, and it rocks to game with. :)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Avi

Hrrrrmmmm... *nods*  I'll have to think about that.  Especially once I'm in grad school, since now I'm sticking to living on campus for the sake of convenience.  My friend had a custom desktop built for him, and it's still really good three years later.

Caeli

Desktops are great because you can readily upgrade as necessary, and even if you get a bunch of really great parts, they don't cost nearly as much to upgrade as if you try to upgrade a laptop. -.-; I won't even tell you how much it would have cost me to soup up my new laptop - well over $2000, I'm sure, and probably more, since I'm interested in installing more RAM after I turn it into a 64 bit system.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

OldSchoolGamer

Yes, if performance and upgradability are priorities, definitely build a desktop.  Laptops are orders of magnitude more difficult to upgrade.