Steffy's Magic Shop

Started by Steffy, July 04, 2018, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steffy

Stumped Stef (Wanna Know)
Hmmm.  Progress on the Kit Cat query, but still some possibilities of another approach.  Perhaps this calls for a witches' circle.  Join hands, circle and use some mantra.  Then when someone is further inspired they shout “How about this Kit Cat _____________?”  Hopefully without moving your lips.

Mechelle

Why am I thinking of people chanting for a chocolate bar?

Flower

Here's another option.

Hmm well first off you have a bunch of tds that you don't need. I removed them. I can't figure out how to do the titles though.

Word of the Day

Poems

Drabbles
*type text here*
*type text here*
*type text here*

Stories
*type text here*
*type text here*
*type text here*

Poetry Corner

*type text here*
*type text here*
*type text here*
*type text here*

And then...

WOTD                         Poetry Corner
Poem     Drabble     Story     Title

Amelita

Quote from: Kit Cat on July 08, 2018, 02:39:52 PM
Think I need more work lol!

I can get this far, but when I try and put list below the right title, it ends up coming to the side of it. Am I missing something?

Word of the Day

Poetry Corner

Poem                      Drabble           Story                                  Title

Is there a specific reason you want to include a list tag? When you're writing up information in a table, you've already defined the margins of a list as such. The list tag is a rather bulky extra unless it's part of a bigger text within each cell. For a simple list arranged neatly, you really don't need it.
Let me show you:

This is a table with a list tag inside it:
TITLE

• item in list
  • item in list
  • item in list
  • item in list
TITLE

• item in list
  • item in list
  • item in list
  • item in list

This is a table with no list tag inside it but a little symbol for the list effect:
TITLE
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
TITLE
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
✦ item in list

...and once we've added some extra td's and centered the titles...

TITLE
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
TITLE
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
✦ item in list
✦ item in list

While the list tagged table with centered titles will be:

TITLE

• item in list
  • item in list
  • item in list
  • item in list
TITLE

• item in list
  • item in list
  • item in list
  • item in list

The reason you can't center the titles and have them fit nicely over a list tagged list, is because the tag pulls the words in from the left, creating a space. The title doesn't account for that space, so when you center it it goes to the middle of empty space + the words. 

Edit: Errrmmm nevermind me, I misread  XD No list TAG problems, just lists. Well the info is valid anyway so I'll let it stay there. >.> Sorry about that!

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Flower

Amelita

Quote from: Kit Cat on July 08, 2018, 02:39:52 PM
Think I need more work lol!

I can get this far, but when I try and put list below the right title, it ends up coming to the side of it. Am I missing something?

Word of the Day

Poetry Corner

Poem                      Drabble           Story                                  Title

Okay, let's try this again and actually answer the question instead of some random stuff no one asked about...

Word of the Day

Poem
Some nice poem name
another poem
epic poetry of the heart
poems galore
Drabble
drabble dabble
this is what that is
no idea what drabble is
Story
story about a bird
story about grass
story about two lovely houses
just a story
Poetry Corner

Title
poem about birds
poem
some kind of poem

OR

Word of the Day

Poem
Some nice poem name
another poem
epic poetry of the heart
poems galore
Drabble
drabble dabble
this is what that is
no idea what drabble is
Story
story about a bird
story about grass
story about two lovely houses
just a story
Poetry Corner

Title
poem about birds
poem
some kind of poem

Does this solve your problem? At all? <3

~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~

Jaclyn

  So how does one get evenly spaced columns? If one wants three columns, how does one get them all the same width so list text inside and changes to the browser window doesn't mutate the width all over the place?

Steffy

Ames (nickname noted) I award thee:

S’More Award

Bravo Ames!  Bravo!!! A nice stick-to-it-ness!  There of course are potential downsides—our shop kitten now, more than ever, knows she deserves to be spoiled. The award is very much intended to indicate we’d love to see more whenever you’re so inclined.  I will also point out that (Post 29) there is the Magic Shop Big Challenge a/k/a The King Arthur Challenge.

Amelita

Quote from: Jaclyn on July 08, 2018, 07:15:15 PM

  So how does one get evenly spaced columns? If one wants three columns, how does one get them all the same width so list text inside and changes to the browser window doesn't mutate the width all over the place?

The code on E doesn't allow fixed column sizes unfortunately. What you can do is add an item into each column that stretches it to a certain width (I use both images, dots, images of page separators, etc) and make sure your text doesn't exceed that width. Manually splitting into lines to make text fit, or shorten words/sentences.

I have an example. Let me go link it.There, don't mind the rest in that thread, I never kept up adding stuff to it.
The table with the pictures, the pictures keep it neat and tidy.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
A page divider, not separator, sorry. Like this.

Always nice.

Jaclyn

Thanks Ames! So basically managing the width of the widest text or graphic. Hopefully the folks working on ElkAdy will incorporate some basic controls courtesy of CSS.

Amelita

Flower

Quote from: Steffy on July 09, 2018, 06:34:18 AM
Ames (nickname noted) I award thee:

S’More Award

Bravo Ames!  Bravo!!! A nice stick-to-it-ness!  There of course are potential downsides—our shop kitten now, more than ever, knows she deserves to be spoiled. The award is very much intended to indicate we’d love to see more whenever you’re so inclined.  I will also point out that (Post 29) there is the Magic Shop Big Challenge a/k/a The King Arthur Challenge.

Those s'mores look so good. I can eat 10 of those and not be satisfied.

Amelita

The award is lovely, I wish I could eat it if only to say I've tasted s'mores!

Also, the King Arthur challenge... The only hover effect E offers is text appearing (for translations and such). You can't make anything move by hovering over it, not even by clicking on it. Sorry  :-\

Flower

Ames, I only recently had them myself. 💝 Do they not have the stuff for them there?

Amelita

Probably, does it matter what kind of crackers you use?

Flower

Steffy

AutoCorrect

Step 1

AutoCorrect

Step 2

BITCHIN’ ABBREVIATION - I cannot just be a taker.  Soooo, I’m going to give a tip on how to use all of this cool coding we’re getting.  It’s a word-processing trick.  I first came up with it when I switched from WordPerfect to Word.  WordPerfect had a number of features that were helpful.   One was Abbreviations.  Word did not and does not as far as I know.  Howevuh, Word has Autocorrect.

Basically, you ‘mis-use’ autocorrect to substitute one word for something you want, such as coding.  It’s magical, at least light magic.  You decide what you want to save and reuse with an abbreviation (autocorrect).  For instance when I have Steffy dialogue, it’s formatted the same way each time: e.g. [*color=#FF1493]“ ”[/color].  Rather than format that each time, I use autocorrect.  Given the way I’ve formatted for an AutoCorrect on this, when I type colorx* (without an asterisk) I get [*color=#FF1493]“ ”[/color].

Here’s how you do it (Steps 1 and 2).  Block the coding or words you want, the ones you want to have a shortcut to.  Go to Tools.  Select autocorrect.  You will see a category of Replace; next to it is a box Replace With.  In the ‘Replace With’ box should be what you blocked (that’s what you want to end up with).  Type in the ‘Replace’ box what you want to have as the abbreviation.  My uniform technique is to type an abbreviation word ending in ‘x’.  For example, if I wanted to abbreviate coding for my picture, I’d block the image coding and type Steffyx for an abbreviation to get the imaging coding which I would have blocked.  The example in the pics uses ‘Red’x to illustrate.

You don’t have to use the ‘x’ approach, whatever you choose to have replaced will be replaced.  But remember if you choose something with lettering common to other words you might word correct your typing inadvertently.  I believe there is a limit to the amount you can encompass in the autocorrect, but I would sequence it, maybe something like autocorrect1x, autocorrect2x if more than one abbreviation is needed.

I don’t know about other word processing programs, but I suspect they’re susceptible.  Also, my Word program is WordMac 2008 if you’re seeing something different on your program when you try.  I’d say just get to AutoCorrect and buzz away! 

*I inserted the asterisk in the coding so it wouldn’t mislead in this post.

Steffy

A Word From Steffy's Bakeshop

I bestow cooking insights on s'mores to the coven.  There is no doubt about the basics of s'mores: chocolate, marshmallow and graham crackers.  One roasts the marshmallows over a fire until they're gooey (some prefer lightly tanned mallow, others singed, dark ones).  Then one sandwiches it with a thin bar of chocolate and then graham crackers on each side.  If one does not have a fire, one could conceivably use a gas-lit stove (be careful witches).  Or (goddess forbid) one might get that marshmallow stuff in a jar.  Once one has the basics, one might think to improvise, but would they be true s'mores? (p.s. No Steffy Bakeshop on E or elsewhere.)

Flower

Lol! I was always tempted to do it on the stove but...

Steffy

Cool, calm collected Steffy

Please be aware when I shouted WARNING, WARNING!!!! OMG!!! It’s a warning!”, the alert is completely over—we have seamlessly moved the shop.  If anyone sees our kitten, please offer assurances.  If you pet her, please make sure you have freed your hands of any sticky s’more remnants.  Plus, I would like to thank pilot Courtney (you may now know her full name since nothing bad happened).  She had nothing to do with the change, she sort of gets thanks so she feels encouraged on the indexing volunteer thing for the shop.

Our now identified pilot – Courtney

Jaclyn

Jaclyn Rosendahl
Entrepreneur
About Jaclyn

  So this is what it feels like to be moved! #Giggle

  Anyhoo, I've done Marshmallows for S'mores over gas and once over an electric burner. Safety suggests the electric burner was stupid kid stuff and the gas not far behind. But then I've dipped a bicycle chain into paraffin heated to just below the flash point several times and survived.

  I love the automisscorrect approach. I've used formulas in Excl to build big posts like the Stories I posted by at LiL. Using Word or Excel for moment by moment posts like this one though seems overkill and I took a different approach. I keep on my PC a file named Formats.html that looks like this when opened in a browser. And it looks clearer if you click on it, thanks Courtney!

  Those who played with me at LiL will recognize many of the things here and my alts too, plus lower right some stuff I've used periodically. I keep Formats open in a browser tab and when it's time to write a post, copy the text I need and fill in the content to get the appearance I want. The magic here is I edit that file using Notepad (actually I use Notepad++ but plain old Notepad will work.) I manually code the HTML as you can see if you download the file itself here.

  And where praytell does one learn HTML? w3schools.com of course!

Steffy

Dom Steffy

Bad Witch Jaclyn! 

Sure.  Very good on all the stuff, mucho wonderful!!! BUT did you not know Steffy wanted you to tell everyone about the free photo editing program you use?  I may have to rethink when someone raises her hand for a break ‘Until late Sunday or maybe Monday’.  I do believe your were more prescient before leaving.  (Sigh).  (Steffy FYI: Magicians have to deal with the whimsy of the owner.  She felt that Dom Steffy might fall into unfortunate misuse.  So any excuse really.  Thus, ‘bad Jaclyn’.)

Kit Cat

By Jove, I think I have it! It looks something like, anyway

Thank you SO much Ames!!!

Jaclyn

Jaclyn Rosendahl
Entrepreneur
About Jaclyn

  Hey there Chief! (Steffy to the rest of you.) I ain't psychic or y'ah ain't broadcastin' strong nuff! Still got a lump upside my head here from Ames earlier that I hope y'all missed. Stupid deleted. So you want to know about the free Photoshopish thingy I use? All y' had t'do is aks. Sorry, revertin' to Tammy an' my southern accent attemptin'.

  It's called GIMP – GNU Image Manipulation Program. You can go figure out what this GNU thing is all about on your own. GIMP runs on Windows and macOS and Linux and most other major operating systems and computers. It's free! It's actively in continuing development after many years.
  I use it along with PowerPoint for all the crappy little graphics I do. So that little graphic in the middle of my Siggy? This one? Please indulge a brief tutorial. First, I have a free font I found many years ago called A Lolita Scorned. It's free, not to worry. Anyway, I made three transparent background text boxes in PowerPoint, “Os/Os,” “&,” and “Stuff.” I smooshed those around in PowerPoint to get them looking cute, then Select the three boxes all together, and then Copy them to the Windows clipboard. Then over to GIMP and Paste as New Image. Used GIMP to crop that to get rid of the excessive space , change the size to 70 pixels high because that's like the biggest a Siggy image should be, and Save As a .png file because .jpg pictures don't do transparency and Elliquiy changes background colors from one comment to the next. Uploaded that picture to the Wiki cuz that's the rules here, and built my Siggy using floats left and right, and then centered the graphic with a URL to my Os/Os & Stuff.

  I mostly use GIMP for stuff like that and for removing backgrounds from images and to resize images. I'm not an artist! Would y'all like a thread like this to share practicing using GIMP? Happy to go at it if y'all want to actually do stuff instead of listening to a lecture.

Steffy

Kitten, I award thee:

Jaclyn, I award thee:
Don't worry about wearing these to the same events.  Magically, the hat does cute things, but there is no way you will look the same.  One of you is very cat-like.  (Steffy hint-reminder: Hats and other things are way fun to giggle about at a Girl's Night Out at the Steelhorse.  Mechelle!)