News:

Main Menu

Any A/V Experts?

Started by MagicalPen, November 20, 2014, 12:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Chances are, some one on E probably works doing A/V stuff.

I recently purchased a 42Inch LED HDTV and am now looking at getting some sort of 5.1 Surround Sound System. Currently have my PS4 hooked up to the TV, soon to have Cable hooked up as well.

So many different options. This is for my bedroom, so would prefer not to have a gazillion wires running all over the place. So, ideally, a 5.1 Surround System with Wireless Speaks. Any suggestions? I am hoping stuff pops up for sale on Amazon  next week during Black Friday. Got the TV from Amazon for $200 off the list price.

This is what I am looking at so far:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S4251w-B4-Soundbar-Subwoofer-Satellite/dp/B00CDIK908/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416505057&sr=8-3&keywords=surround+sound+bar
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IWEQ2M59E6XV&coliid=I1T3JK3K60BTMR
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAELUOS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IWEQ2M59E6XV&coliid=IF2DRSASMRYO9

Suggestions?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Valaesin

Have you thought about running the wires behind the walls/sheetrock?  I did this with the sound in my gameroom.  We already had the TV mounted and the cords running behind the wall from our AT&T box/Xbox/PS3 so when I dropped in a receiver and brought in the surround sound, I just went up into the attic and ran the lines there to keep from having either cords or those tacky covers on the wall/ceiling.  The other option if you're not comfortable with running it through the attic (or its not easy to access) is to run it along the baseboards (depending on your baseboards, there might be space if it stick out some) and then into the wall, up to the speaker-level, out of the wall, etc.  I've known some people to run it under carpet too, since the padding more or less hides it.

MagicalPen

I ended up getting the WiFi Surround Sound (and it works great!).

Only have a PS4 hooked up to it, still haven't gotten Cable, so I think I should be fine.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Valaesin

Glad it all worked out.  How are you liking the wireless?  I'm an old-school audiophile and never really liked the sound that came out of them.  Then again, I set up my media room/game room over six years ago - I'm sure the technology has gotten much better.

MagicalPen

Its a vast improvement over sound coming out of my TV, so I quite like it.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Valaesin

Yeah, I think a rope and cup would be an improvement over the sound coming out of most TVs.  Its kind of sad, in the quest for all things flat, most manufacturers have gone to putting the speakers on the sides - the actual flat sides - of the TV with just a bit of a surface to help reflect the sound toward the listener.  On some TVs, they actually don't use anything, instead assuming that the TV will be against the wall to reflect the sound.  It took forever to convince one of my friends to just get a soundbar... and when he finally did, he was shocked at how much nicer it sounded.