[nWoD] The Omerta Masquerade [Recruiting!]

Started by Angie, November 25, 2014, 08:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

I had a thought. World of Darkness is a lot of fun, but there's a weakness to the setting: It's in modern day. And modern day, while fun, is a little boring-we LIVE in modern day. And one of my favorite things to do is take an established system and throw it into a crazier setting.

So with that in mind, here's the set up: World of Darkness in 1920s era Atlantic City. Boardwalk Empire meets Supernatural, in a way. Vampires with tommy guns, Changlings making magical booze, werewolves in goddamn suits!

So come on. Who's interested? Who wants to ride the everflowing river of booze and sex all the way to the top? Who can take control of Atlantic City, while everyone from the Seers of the Throne to the True Fae to every single Vampire Coterie try to take it from you?

Alright, so, some rules:

Approved Books: All 'core' splats (WtF, MtA, etc) with the exceptions of Demon and Mummy. Additionally, Changing Breeds has also been approved. Everything else, PM me.

Use Pre-GMC rules (if you don't know what it is, then don't worry. Just make a character according to the Core Book and your preferred splat) for creation.

All characters will receive an additional 5 Experience Points. Not much, but it's meant to reflect your character's 'lived' experience up to this point in the game. Additionally, everyone will start with full pools of whatever you use to power your, well, power-Vitae, Essence, Mana, Plasm, whatever.

Approved Sheets go here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=218456.0

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=218457.0
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Artema

I'm interested.
As for crazier settings, there's also Umbra in the WoD.   ;)

Muse

Interesting concept, Angie. 

I'm pretty burned on vampires right now, and terrified of anything that smacks of PVP, but you have my attention. 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Angie

Quote from: Muse on November 25, 2014, 08:37:50 PM
  Interesting concept, Angie. 

I'm pretty burned on vampires right now, and terrified of anything that smacks of PVP, but you have my attention.

I encourage people to play anything that ISN'T vampires, to be honest. This may reflect poorly on me as a GM, but I really fucking hate nWoD vampires and want them all to burn. That being said, if you wanna play a vampire, go ahead.

As for PvP...I dunno. I encourage people to work together, as there's going to be stuff you can't handle, like spirits being the domain of mostly Werewolves and Thrysus Mages, or ghosts being the realm of Sin-Eaters and Moros Mages (Mages can do a lot, but eh). Plus, everyone will have talents and Merits related to certain things, so I encourage negotiation and deals more then fighting.

Crash

I really need to get done with school.  Roarin' 20's Changeling would be a lot of fun.  Unfortunately I have 5 more months to go. 

Great concept though!

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

AndyZ

Still using all the stuff like 5/4/3 starting stats?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Angie

Character building will be as normal, with two things:

1: I'm tossing out GMC for now. I could try to convert everything over, but I'm not about to kill myself over it. So, we're using regular, vanilla, caffeine free WoD.

2: Everyone will get 5 XP at start, to reflect that you've been around the block in either mortal or supernatural life (or both!). It won't be much, but you can probably get a couple things with that.

And 3: I said two, yes, but my game my rules. Demon is the only 'official' WoD splat I'm disallowing, mostly because I haven't played with it yet. The fan-made supplements are also disallowed as well. I'd love to let Geniuses and Princesses in, but Genius is a little overpowered and Princesses don't exist in 1920.

deadmanshand

Interesting. I've always wanted to play in a roarin 20's game. What are your thoughts on the Changing Breed book? On all the minor official splats really. I love the off kilter by the wayside splats better than I do any of the major splats for NWOD.

Angie

Huh, it's new, but it looks well done. Changing Breeds hereby receives the official stamp of approval!

Stamp!

If anyone else wants to involve the smaller, minor books, check it over with me.

Artema

QuoteI encourage people to play anything that ISN'T vampires, to be honest.
Well, that's cool, because I prefer playing a Mage.

Muse

yay!  :) 

All right, I'll give it a go. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Angie

This thing was up for three hours and got quite a bit of response, imagine if I posted this when people weren't busy with Thanksgiving!

Anyway, this is now an official recruitment threads. Bring me your sheets! Myth-Weavers has an amazing one if you're over there!

wander

Only just noticed this... Why you no poke me about it Angie? xD

I'm in... Not sure what splat yet, but likely a Sin-Eater. :)

Angie

Quote from: wander on November 26, 2014, 02:22:25 AM
Only just noticed this... Why you no poke me about it Angie? xD

I'm in... Not sure what splat yet, but likely a Sin-Eater. :)

I wanted to, but I didn't wanna poke in the public SB.

indarkestknight

An evil voice inside me whispers 'Mummy'. It must have the nefarious intent of throwing any and all inter-splat balance out the window. Of a helicopter. Above a volcano. Someone, help me resist the siren call!

Angie

Isn't Mummy a fan-made splat? Anyway, your evil voice is denied as I disapprove Mummy with the Giant Middle Finger of GM Disapproval!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Angie

Quote from: deadmanshand on November 26, 2014, 10:20:03 AM
Mummy is an official book.

Then it gets the Middle Finger because, like Demon, I haven't played it yet.

Muse

*chuckles* I'm currently thinking about a mage girl who's either a bootlegger or a burlesque performer--or just a torch singer.  :) 

Some questions: 

Do you have a plot in mind?  Or is this mostly just a romp? 

Will there be much sexual content?  If so, what category?  Player initiated only?

Angie

There will be plots, though not much of an overarching plot-this is mostly you guys trying to wrestle power away from a myriad number of groups that don't want you to have it.

Sexual content: I'm going to put this in extreme just so I'm covered regardless of what happens. I may have an NPC try to seduce a player or two, but you have my word that I won't do anything NC. Like, it's not even a thing where I'll ask your permission, I just will not do it. I personally ask that you guys shy away from it, but I also won't stop you.

Muse

*nods* 

Good to k now that ahead of time.   In that case I'd like to know some of the gender mix of the applying characters so I can contribute accordingly. 

Angie

*Shrugs* So far, no one's sent me a sheet.

Sheets can be posted here or sent to me via PM, whatever works.

deadmanshand

My sheet will be done tonight or tomorrow but I'll be playing a guy.

ArtemisHighmore

Angie

Oh, I've been meaning to say this, but part of the "5 experience-you guys have been around the block" also includes that you know about the major supernatural types (the various splats allowed, basically) so we don't have to have a million scenes where everyone explains their gorram powers. Except for Changing Breeds (I think that deadmanshand is doing that?), that stuff is rare enough that you'll cock you head at it.

TheGlyphstone

This sounds amazing. Count me in all the way.

Artema

Here you go: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=62843
That's male for you.    :D

P.S. Thinking about a Heretic flaw.

Marie Reynolds

Oh god yes a non god machine chronicle finally! I have been waiting for this!

Angie

All honesty, I don't care much for Flaws. There's not much reason to take 'em, but if you want them, have at it.

And I have some things, I'll PM you

Angie

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 26, 2014, 06:30:05 PM
Oh god yes a non god machine chronicle finally! I have been waiting for this!

Yes, non GMC! To be honest, all I use out of GMC are the rule updates-the actual God Machine and angels can kiss my ass.

Marie Reynolds

Kind of sad at the nwod vampire dislike. Maybe i should resist the urge to play a sanctified or a member of the first estate.

TheGlyphstone

Don't bother picking up Demon then - the core premise is being rogue/fallen angels of the GM.

Angie

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 26, 2014, 06:41:21 PM
Don't bother picking up Demon then - the core premise is being rogue/fallen angels of the GM.

Demon is forever banned from my table.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 26, 2014, 06:53:21 PM
Demon is forever banned from my table.

Twilight Zone Twist: YOU are the God-Machine.

Incidentally, for anyone else making characters, I'm working on a Sin-Eater. He's a beat cop who was caught in a crossfire between rival gangs/mob factions. Now he's a Reaper, partnered to a man-shaped cloud of smoke wearing a trenchcoat and fedora, punching his time card in the A.C.P.D. while actually enforcing a set of laws you won't find in any earthly precinct.

EDIT: Dudes of Legend, approved? ;D

Angie

I get you're having a laugh, Glyph, but no. No. Maybe in a comedy campaign.

TheGlyphstone

I'm pretty sure the only way to use Dudes of Legend is alongside copious amounts of alcohol. And we can't get drunk over the internet.

(for the uninitiated - Dudes of Legend is the April Fool's supplement for NWoD. It features character perks like Hammerspace Trenchcoats, Stripper Magic, and Katanas Are Just Better, all the tools you need to transform WoD from gritty gothic horror into slapstick action-comedy.)

Angie

Now someone stop me before I make a Shawn of the Dead Campaign.

indarkestknight

For those who don't know, NWoD Mummies are... different than other supernaturals. Each time they awaken (someone breaks into their tomb, their cult summons them, Sothic Turn) they arise with their Power Stat (think Blood Potency or Gnosis) at 10... and it begins to go down over time. When it's gone, they become inactive again until called on again.

Angie

I think I'll leave them out of my superstar tag team crossover games except as enemies.

TheGlyphstone

Mummies are another one of the splats that just don't play very well with others, like Vampires and Prometheans. To start with, they're obscenely powerful but also effectively insane at 'character creation', and they 'burn out' rather fast. It's hard to have a group where the Mummy is not the most plot-centric character simply because if they are not the most plot-centric, they would be off dealing with their own problems while they can rather than bumming around with other supers.

A circle of mummies working together is very functional, since their goals will usually align or overlap (along with their enemies), and a solo Mummy can make for an extremely dangerous antagonist - both as a behind-the-scenes manipulator and during the inevitable combat confrontation. They're just problematic in a cross-splat teamup.

TheGlyphstone

Angie, are you allowing us to buy-down Morality for extra experience? It'd fit my character to be a little tarnished inside, and the +5 XP grant for a 1-level drop combined with the starting award would be enough to start me off with a third Key and improve my versatility.

Angie

I've already allowed it in PM, so yeah, go ahead.

(And now to wait for everyone to play 5 Morality serial killers...)

RubySlippers

Is the Second Sight book available both for psychics and thaumaturges among the enlightened mortals?

TheGlyphstone

Hey - I'm going to be playing a Morality 6 serial killer, thank you very much!

Synergy is awesome. I only make degeneration checks for accidental death; premediated murder is perfectly cool, as long as I don't do it too frequently.

Angie

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 26, 2014, 09:13:26 PM
Is the Second Sight book available both for psychics and thaumaturges among the enlightened mortals?

Gimme a minute. I used to have all this stuff, now I have to go find it all again. My old hard drive crashed, and I'm still recovering.

Hmmm....I'd prefer everyone to have the Major supernatural templates. I won't disallow it, but I will say you're gonna be at a disadvantage if you roll with an enlightened mortal.

TheGlyphstone

So, something else just occurred to me. Are you going to be modifying the Anacrotech Modifier thresholds for the Industrial Key, since they're written for a 21st-century era setting?

Angie

Yeah, I kinda have to. "Invented in the last 10 years" will apply to anything from September 1910 to now, and then just walk it back. The +0 mod would be "invented in the 1880s". So if you manage to find a Karl Benz automobile from fuck-mothering Germany, it'll be a +0 mod. Hooray.

TheGlyphstone

Perfectly fine by me - I wasn't entirely on board with an automatic +2 or +3 to all my Industrial manifestations just because we were historical. But a Colt .45 Peacemaker revolver will still do me just fine as a sidearm, at a net +0 for being created in 1873 (the first cartridge revolver was made in the 1850's, but I'm not sure I would trust a cutting-edge gun like that). Plus, there will be plenty of them around, the .45 never really goes away.

A good set of Civil War-era iron or brass knuckles (1860's) will be my melee weapon, and net me a +1 when I meld them via Industrial Caul. I suppose anything else I end up using I can ask for a spot-ruling on.

Angie

You should add a +1 to each of those for using your Industrial power-"1870s" would be a +1, and 1860s would be a +2. It's 1880-1889 that's the +0.

TheGlyphstone

Hm, okay. Will not turn down free bonuses.

I think I'll be an adequate pistoleer then. With Keystone in hand, I'll have a 14-die pool to meld my revolver via Industrial Caul, with successes becoming bonuses to my 8-die base attack pool. Stigmata Caul lets me (creepily) scout inaccessible places, and Stillness Caul makes me stealthy and able to teleport short distances. Can only use one of them at a time, but that should still be a flexible enough power set to stay relevant when the problem cannot be shot at.

Angie

...I have so gotta see this sheet. You're pulling what Angelo does (and he will not be joining us for this game, he isn't born for like, 60 years)

TheGlyphstone

Almost done, I'm just calculating secondary stats and filling in descriptive details for things like his Geist, The Captain.

...I have so gotta see this sheet. You're pulling what Angelo does (and he will not be joining us for this game, he isn't born for like, 60 years)

Need moar Time magic.

Angie

wander

I'll wait to see who plays what... On one side I kinda feel like playing a Morbus Vampire... The other I want to play a Sin-Eater, though seems that's becoming a popular vote. I'm a bit bleh on Changeling recently, but that as a Darkling is likely my third option.

My character would be a male if that comes into people's choices.

Angie

Quote from: wander on November 27, 2014, 02:07:51 AM
I'll wait to see who plays what... On one side I kinda feel like playing a Morbus Vampire... The other I want to play a Sin-Eater, though seems that's becoming a popular vote. I'm a bit bleh on Changeling recently, but that as a Darkling is likely my third option.

My character would be a male if that comes into people's choices.

Well like, you'd be the second Sin-Eater. I haven't heard what other people want, but so far, only one Sin-Eater's been approved.

RubySlippers

Waiting to see if Second Sight is okay to use as a source book.

Angie

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 27, 2014, 02:23:55 AM
Waiting to see if Second Sight is okay to use as a source book.

I edited it in so you probably missed it. To repeat-it's good, I don't mind you using it, but just know you're very likely gonna be at a massive disadvantage.

indarkestknight

Well, on the upside, you don't have to worry about anyone playing a Holy Engineer and combining the two things you despise: nWoD vampires and the God Machine, given that conspiracy-covenant originated in the 1960s.  >:)

Still not sure what I'd like to play, though. I'll mull it over. Demons and Mummies are verboten, Prometheans are less than ideal for cross-splat play, you'd be least happy with Vampires... Which leaves Changelings, Hunters, Mages, Sin-Eaters, and Werewolves. Pity Beast: the Primordial is still in first draft. This is exactly the kind of game that sounds like they're aiming for. Then again, it'd be post GMC rules anyway, so it would likely be equally verboten.  :-(

Muse

Well, I know so far that my character will be she, and will probably be a mage.  ^_^;; 

Changeling is also possible. 

wander

Thought I'd mention about skills incase of overlap, to see what we're all doing.

I think my character will be Socially gifted.

I tend to keep physical skills on tertiary, just getting a few basics. Probably looking at... Athletics 1, Stealth and Firearms (one having 1, the other 2) with some specialty in there to help. I expect there will be combat though I quite like scouty characters...

I can change depending on what people wanna be specialists in, thats my first thoughts anyway. As a Sin-Eater, I'll probably go for Stillness as a main Key, it's pretty useful in group games that are mixed. Not sure yet on Manifestations and other Key stuff. Depends on what kind of forces we'll be fighting and what everyone else would like to do.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 27, 2014, 02:25:28 AM
I edited it in so you probably missed it. To repeat-it's good, I don't mind you using it, but just know you're very likely gonna be at a massive disadvantage.

Subtle can be its own powerful weapon in such a game, no one would know what she is while the others gladly power game away she can have her own more modest life enjoying the color of the city as a writer perhaps.

Marie Reynolds

Hmm, So I have three  choices to make a Invictus vampire that is a member of the knightly order of the thorned wreath or the burning wreath Possibly a Nosferatu maybe with a bloodline if allowed might also play a ghoul of the characters as well so I can be active in the rp during the day. Go a changeling of some color not sure yet what would strike my fancy.The changeling might be a Dusk courtier though. Third option A werewolf of the Ghost wolves might be a park ranger if the Forestry service was created by the 1920's. I would welcome any input on what direction to go to break the impasse i am stuck at.

wander

Just realised with this being a 1920s game I can make my hard-up '20s PI from my CoC games into a nwod character! ^__^

So brilliant! I have a backstory and some general ways to place my dots. I figure a Bonepicker or Reaper Archetype would be best fitting a use of their Keyed Manifestations.

RubySlippers

I'm going to play a struggling writer with very little going for her, except for her psychic power of Mind Control not she will know its a power just if she wants someone to do something for her they tend to do it with some focus on the person. Well there is no reason she would think her "persuasive talents" are special with strong social skills already.

Well she can only get better and should slip nicely under the radar, and a young writer working on fame and resources would fit in nicely she could work someplace as she tries to get her first novel published (when she writes it). Why does this sound like lots of young writers in the history of literature?  ;D

Angie

What's this? People are planning?! TEAMWORK?!!! Interesting. I didn't think this would happen.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: wander on November 27, 2014, 08:09:14 AM
Just realised with this being a 1920s game I can make my hard-up '20s PI from my CoC games into a nwod character! ^__^

So brilliant! I have a backstory and some general ways to place my dots. I figure a Bonepicker or Reaper Archetype would be best fitting a use of their Keyed Manifestations.

Sounds like we have some excellent overlap, then - both thematically and in background. My character is a Reaper, a local cop killed by gang-on-gang violence. He's a pretty physical build; high Firearms and Dexterity/Stamina, with the Industrial Caul to turn him into Revolver Megaman.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 27, 2014, 07:39:08 AM
Hmm, So I have three  choices to make a Invictus vampire that is a member of the knightly order of the thorned wreath or the burning wreath Possibly a Nosferatu maybe with a bloodline if allowed might also play a ghoul of the characters as well so I can be active in the rp during the day. Go a changeling of some color not sure yet what would strike my fancy.The changeling might be a Dusk courtier though. Third option A werewolf of the Ghost wolves might be a park ranger if the Forestry service was created by the 1920's. I would welcome any input on what direction to go to break the impasse i am stuck at.

The U.S. Forest Service was formed in 1905. Of the options, I'd advocate for the Werewolf simply because they're the most 'team-friendly' towards outside supernaturals on average between their mechanics and their social attitudes. And having an expert in Spirits will definitely help us.

Angie

Then we can have some fun overlap between the Sin-Eaters and Werewolves when I start chucking Death-Spirits at you. MUAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

indarkestknight

Funny thing. Ghost-spirit hybrids are basically geists or nascent geists...

TheGlyphstone

More accurately - they look from the outside like they're the same thing, even though they come from very different origins and have entirely different means of interacting with the world. Hybrids are literally that, fusions between ghost and spirit - a geist is a ghost that has catalyzed into a more elemental spirit-like form of its own accord. So they appear identical, though magic powers that effect spirits can't influence a geist, or vice versa.

RubySlippers

Forgot the 5xp, so is on the radar with a little fame and a writer who is at least not going hungry - that's something.  ;D

And I found a picture, she is kind of non-descript:

Working on her background now.

Marie Reynolds

Alright thanks for the input now I have weeded it down to the Werewolf or the Vampire. Angiejuusan may I pm with some questions that will help me make up my mind?

Angie

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 27, 2014, 02:14:30 PM
Alright thanks for the input now I have weeded it down to the Werewolf or the Vampire. Angiejuusan may I pm with some questions that will help me make up my mind?

My inbox is always open.

wander

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 27, 2014, 11:51:53 AM
Then we can have some fun overlap between the Sin-Eaters and Werewolves when I start chucking Death-Spirits at you. MUAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yes, someone remembered our SB conversation... ;)

@Glyph, I was gravitating towards Bonepicker, so that's sealed that then. I'm going to be more thinky-facey with my character, so I'll likely have some Manifestations etc to centre around that, whilst keeping the PI thing going. I think I'm gonna have a similar backstory to your char, with my char in CoC formerly being a federal agent. I may have some link to the Great War in there, but my CoC guy never fought due to being low down in the draft listings.

ReijiTabibito

*pokes nose in*  Okay.  Question for the group.  Sounds like we've got a few Sin-Eaters (To be fair, I would play one, too, they're on my list of what I'd play for this game).  What about Hunters?  A lot of the Hunter Conspiracies didn't exist until the latter half of the 20th.  The Loyalists of Thule, for example, grew right out of Nazi Germany & the 30s and 40s...so I would imagine they don't exist yet...how would we handle that?

Angie

You could play a Hunter if you wanted, you just wouldn't be a member of the conspiracies-at least, none of the ones that aren't around.

To be fair, Sin-Eaters kinda work perfectly in the party/noir style that we've painted the 20s in, though we do have a Moros Mage, a Physic writer, a Werewolf smuggler, and a potential shapechanger (I.E. weaker Werewolf-no offense).

Huh, maybe I should make an Approved characters thread.

ReijiTabibito

Yeah.  I was planning on playing a Sin-Eater myself, since they're one of the new supernatural types that came out with the NWoD.  Prometheans are another, but I can see that they'd cause a major problem in the setting, since Promes are typically insular.

Physic?  You lost me.

Angie

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 27, 2014, 06:55:08 PM
Yeah.  I was planning on playing a Sin-Eater myself, since they're one of the new supernatural types that came out with the NWoD.  Prometheans are another, but I can see that they'd cause a major problem in the setting, since Promes are typically insular.

Physic?  You lost me.

Second Sight book. She's mortal except for that power, and she's incredibly weak compared to you guys. Think along the lines of a ghoul.

ReijiTabibito

Got it.  Yeah, I actually considered playing a mortal...then I realized I would pretty much be dogmeat for anything else that came along.  Okay, so, Sin-Eaters, a Mage, a Werewolf, a...whatever splat shapechangers belong in...no Vampires, and you don't have to worry about me being one either...

Angie

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 27, 2014, 06:59:31 PM
Got it.  Yeah, I actually considered playing a mortal...then I realized I would pretty much be dogmeat for anything else that came along.  Okay, so, Sin-Eaters, a Mage, a Werewolf, a...whatever splat shapechangers belong in...no Vampires, and you don't have to worry about me being one either...

It's another side book called Changing Breeds.

ReijiTabibito

Just as a question - what's the primary plotline of the story?  Also, what Sin-Eaters have we got, already?

Angie

Not much in way of plot, I just thought it would be kinda cool to throw everyone in 1920s Atlantic City, throw a combination of mortal and supernatural antagonists at them (running the gamut from nosy reporters to OH GOD GNOSIS 10 MAGE THE PAIN!) and see what happens.

You'd be better talking to Glyph and wander about their Sin-Eaters.

wander

I'm thinking Passion and Stigmata Keys. I kinda wanna get Stillness in there too though. So I likely will have some kind of charm happening with Merits... I can do that with spending a Merit on a Charm and then getting Ceremony lv.3: Dedicate Charm to get it's Key.

Likely using the Caul, Curse... Oracle due to being a PI. Those three, possibly Shroud depending on how I feel and how the xp falls, also depending on what Manifestations Glyph wants to use (can you tell me so I know??).

They'll be Synergy 6, so 10xp to spend there. I'll likely spend 6xp of that for a single dot in a Manifestation, to be covered. I use the other 4xp to cover for the 4 Merit pts spent on the Charm for a third Key. So outside of that, I'll have 3 Merit Points and another 2 from the xp...

Angie

Quote from: wander on November 27, 2014, 07:33:48 PM
I'm thinking Passion and Stigmata Keys. I kinda wanna get Stillness in there too though. So I likely will have some kind of charm happening with Merits... I can do that with spending a Merit on a Charm and then getting Ceremony lv.3: Dedicate Charm to get it's Key.

Likely using the Caul, Curse... Oracle due to being a PI. Those three, possibly Shroud depending on how I feel and how the xp falls, also depending on what Manifestations Glyph wants to use (can you tell me so I know??).

They'll be Synergy 6, so 10xp to spend there. I'll likely spend 6xp of that for a single dot in a Manifestation, to be covered. I use the other 4xp to cover for the 4 Merit pts spent on the Charm for a third Key. So outside of that, I'll have 3 Merit Points and another 2 from the xp...

Merits cost 2 per dot.

Anyway, I believe Glyph went Industrial, Stillness, and Stigmata, but all of his stuff is Caul.

ReijiTabibito

A cop, a PI...it sounds like my character concept (Mafia hitman killed and left for dead back for vengeance) is right up the trifecta.

Angie

Eris just sent me a sheet-we have a club singin' Fairest Changling, my friends.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 27, 2014, 07:43:52 PM
A cop, a PI...it sounds like my character concept (Mafia hitman killed and left for dead back for vengeance) is right up the trifecta.

IF we have 3 Sin-Eaters, we could start in a Krewe together...

RubySlippers

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 27, 2014, 06:56:09 PM
Second Sight book. She's mortal except for that power, and she's incredibly weak compared to you guys. Think along the lines of a ghoul.

There is a benefit to NOT being a power in the city, that is being below the Supernaturals respective radar. That and my access to the books is limited so want to play what I know.

ReijiTabibito

I'd be up for that.  Angie?  If we have 3 Sin-Eaters, can we start as a Krewe?

Angie

If one of you starts with Krewe Binding, I'll allow it. Otherwise, you'll form in play.

wander

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 27, 2014, 07:37:01 PM
Merits cost 2 per dot.

Anyway, I believe Glyph went Industrial, Stillness, and Stigmata, but all of his stuff is Caul.

Yep, I know... I mentioned 4xp would give me 2 Merit dots, probably got some confusion because a Charm and Dedicate Charm ceremony happens to cost 4 Merit points, which is why I mentioned it... ^^ In essence, once I get Charm and Dedicate Charm, if I dedicate the 4xp to Merits, I'll have 5 Merit dots left, so I can get basics such as Resources and Barfly etc.

I am so up for forming a krewe!!!

Someone else get Krewe Binding though. Then if you both get Charms, I can dedicate them to pay back ;)

Secondary from the Krewe... Are we gonna pool some Merits into a Haunt together?

I'll get Curse, Oracle and Shroud as Manifestations then, with them being 1dot versions, except one will be at 2dots.

TheGlyphstone

I would have to drop another Morality dot to afford a Ceremony, I spent my initial allotment buying my third Key.

I've got Caul 3, with Industrial, Stigmata, and Stillness Keys.

Honestly, I actually like the idea of forming the Krewe in-play. Since we're literally starting characters who have maybe like seen a ghost once or something (5 XP = roughly one RL game session), it would make sense if we aren't close enough to each other to krewe up.

ReijiTabibito

Alright.  I'll buy what we need to form a Krewe.  Makes sense, anyways.  I'd be the guy looking for vengeance against the mob.  Who better to help me than a cop and a PI?  What do I need for it?

Angie

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 27, 2014, 08:42:06 PM
Alright.  I'll buy what we need to form a Krewe.  Makes sense, anyways.  I'd be the guy looking for vengeance against the mob.  Who better to help me than a cop and a PI?  What do I need for it?

Krewe Binding is a 1 dot ceremony, so it only costs 1 Merit dot. Or 2 XP.

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Cool.  I can get that and my Psyche upgrade, then...or two, if I really wanted it, but then I'd only have two Merits left, which would be ones bought with XP.

TheGlyphstone

I edited in above, but while you can buy the ceremony now, I'm not against the idea of forming the Krewe in-story if other people are, since we are basically fresh out of our Bargains.

Angie

Apple of Eris

Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Angie

Apple of Eris

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Angie

Muse

Angie

Haven't even started. Plus, the sandbox-y nature means late arrivals are totally cool.

Muse

With all these cops and detectives will a bootlegger be an issue? 

Angie

Quote from: Muse on November 28, 2014, 12:54:12 AM

Do you know how fucking corrupt the cops were during Prohibition? They only enforced it to get a paycheck, they were drinkin' like everyone else!

RubySlippers

Cops usually took payments to look the other way as long as the crime was ,well, stupid to go after like dealing on booze and whoring.

Muse

Angie

Muse

Yep. 

I need to figure out an order she'd belong too, thouhg. 

Anything that would facilitate the story? 

Muse

wander

So I have for Merits:

Charm o
Dedicate Charm Ceremony ooo
Pass On Ceremony o
Resources o
Barfly o
Contact (local stooly) o (2xp)
Allies (old Fed buddies) o (2xp)

They'll be Psyche 1 and Synergy 6 going in. I might need some help in clarifying the Contact a bit better there Angie. Now also I know the game is going places, I can work on a character and PM the rest of the stuff, like skill points and attributes hopefully later but at least this weekend to you :)

Angie

Quote from: wander on November 28, 2014, 09:21:09 AM
So I have for Merits:

Charm o
Dedicate Charm Ceremony ooo
Pass On Ceremony o
Resources o
Barfly o
Contact (local stooly) o (2xp)
Allies (old Fed buddies) o (2xp)

They'll be Psyche 1 and Synergy 6 going in. I might need some help in clarifying the Contact a bit better there Angie. Now also I know the game is going places, I can work on a character and PM the rest of the stuff, like skill points and attributes hopefully later but at least this weekend to you :)

Why Synergy 6? You're getting 5 XP for free, just wanting more?

wander

Yup, I wanted to snag an extra dot for Manifestations and they cost 6xp per dot. So with the 4xp there in Merits, thats where my starting and Synergy xp is going... :) It's only at Synergy 5 the penalties come in, so at 6 I'm still good... ^^

Angie

Quote from: Muse on November 28, 2014, 03:11:40 AM
Yep. 

I need to figure out an order she'd belong too, thouhg. 

Anything that would facilitate the story?

No one order is really any bigger then any others. However, there are some accusations leveled at the Silver Ladder that they are the ones behind Prohibition, but there's no evidence to show that or not as Prohibition has only been active for three months (we're starting in April of 1920). The Free Council is (unsurprisingly) behind most of these accusations. The Arrows are enjoying the chance to flex their muscle on both sides of the Law. The Guardians are mostly content that the rampant crime caused by Prohibition is making people less interested in getting close to the supernatural. And the Mysterium want EVERYONE to shut the fuck up so they can go back to reading.

wander

Quote from: Muse on November 28, 2014, 12:54:12 AM

No issue from my character, he's a simple dick that has generally been called to do things like check on cheating spouses etc. Occasionally he may get a bigger job, so he packs some heat, missing persons tend to run afoul of some powerful people after all, but a bootlegger... Nah, my Sin-Eater is a Bonepicker, if there's no gain in it he's gonna leave you alone. :)

Angie

Quote from: wander on November 28, 2014, 04:19:37 PM
No issue from my character, he's a simple dick that has generally been called to do things like check on cheating spouses etc. Occasionally he may get a bigger job, so he packs some heat, missing persons tend to run afoul of some powerful people after all, but a bootlegger... Nah, my Sin-Eater is a Bonepicker, if there's no gain in it he's gonna leave you alone. :)

And hey, leave him alone, get booze. Hooray!

wander

Its a win-win situation! :)

But I think continual booze over a pat on the back wins it ;)

Crash

Angie - I may have to step aside once in a while when school gets nuts but a would love to play a changeling bartender (brewer).  Would that be a problem?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Angie

Quote from: Crash on November 28, 2014, 09:18:08 PM
Angie - I may have to step aside once in a while when school gets nuts but a would love to play a changeling bartender (brewer).  Would that be a problem?

As long as everyone else doesn't mind. Could work at the same club Apple does!

Crash

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 28, 2014, 09:25:42 PM
As long as everyone else doesn't mind. Could work at the same club Apple does!

It would make sense.  I will wait to see if others mind.  I would keep her to scenes in the club until school is over so I don't tie people up if I need time away.

Angie

Speaking of clubs, in the real world Club Harlem isn't around for a few years, but does anyone mind if I throw it in anyway as a sort of central landmark?

Apple of Eris

I think we can safely fudge a few details of 1920.

And a changeling bartender and singer, this club is going to be hoppin. lol

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

TheGlyphstone

Changelings, werewolves, vampires, and ghost-possessed necromancers didn't exist in the 1920's either. I think we can handle an anachronistically built nightclub.

Angie

And it's all run by a black woman (who might be a supernatural herself) and financed by the mob.

WHICH REMINDS ME: How, uh, comfortable would you guys be dealing with race issues? I know it's the 1920s and blacks are still viewed as second class citizens, but if you guys aren't comfortable with dealing with it, I'll keep it off-screen. On the other hand, it does mean the chance to beat up a ton of KKK members. They're like Nazis, no matter how many you beat up you don't feel bad.

TheGlyphstone

No 'might be' about it. She's a bartender in a RPG campaign with a bunch of adventurers, her badass credentials are automatic - she'll be some retired Imperial Mage or something.

Crash

I am fine with it and the speakeasies were some of the few places where color was less of an issue. 

Angie

Easy fodder for combat. KKK bust in with tommy guns, you guys just go "nice guns...think I'll keep 'em."

Crash

Hah changelings are paper. Bartender will be hiding behind the bar thank you. ;)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Crash on November 28, 2014, 09:55:19 PM
Hah changelings are paper. Bartender will be hiding behind the bar thank you. ;)

Need moar Pledges.

Crash

Get patrons drunk on faerie liquor and make bargains...gotcha!

Crash

Quote from: Apple of Eris on November 28, 2014, 09:36:28 PM
I think we can safely fudge a few details of 1920.

And a changeling bartender and singer, this club is going to be hoppin. lol

Yep, should be fun!

Angie

Crash

Angie - You okay with the bartender having a contact in the goblin market.  ;D

Angie

Quote from: Crash on November 28, 2014, 10:07:05 PM
Angie - You okay with the bartender having a contact in the goblin market.  ;D

I'm relatively new to Changeling, so, I guess it's okay?

Crash

Think Fae black market. Full of all sorts of things that usually carry unforeseen costs for unusual gains all run by goblins.  If you don't want to worry about it I can certainly do away with the contact.

Angie

Quote from: Crash on November 28, 2014, 10:12:37 PM
Think Fae black market. Full of all sorts of things that usually carry unforeseen costs for unusual gains all run by goblins.  If you don't want to worry about it I can certainly do away with the contact.

I think it'd be fun, let me just find wherever it is in the book so I know how to run it.

Crash

Main book. Goblin Market 16, 41, 226. 279-285

Muse

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 28, 2014, 10:41:28 AM
No one order is really any bigger then any others. However, there are some accusations leveled at the Silver Ladder that they are the ones behind Prohibition, but there's no evidence to show that or not as Prohibition has only been active for three months (we're starting in April of 1920). The Free Council is (unsurprisingly) behind most of these accusations. The Arrows are enjoying the chance to flex their muscle on both sides of the Law. The Guardians are mostly content that the rampant crime caused by Prohibition is making people less interested in getting close to the supernatural. And the Mysterium want EVERYONE to shut the fuck up so they can go back to reading.

Oh...  I wonder if I should tweak a little.  I'd envisioned my girl being a bootlegger for a year or two... 

deadmanshand

Bootlegging is a thing even when booze is legal. The money is just better when it's against the law.

Angie

Quote from: Muse on November 28, 2014, 11:35:21 PM
Oh...  I wonder if I should tweak a little.  I'd envisioned my girl being a bootlegger for a year or two...

What DMH said. You've just experienced a surge in demand.

Muse

wander

How combatty are we looking Angie?

I'm debating whether to do Firearms 1 with a specialty in pistols or 2 with the same. My character is gonna be more a Face and PI than a gunslinger though... So I'm balancing four dots between Athletics, Firearms and Stealth. I also want to get Larceny but I'm not sure I'm good having all four of those skills at 1 dot each.

Crash

My bartender is going to be mostly social.

TheGlyphstone

I'm very shooty - 3 Firearms with a Pistol spec, and a big buff to that when I activate Industrial Caul, with a smattering of face-y skills to back it up.

Crash

Angie

I try to do a little of everything in a WoD game. This is sorta my first time running a more sandbox style game, so combat will probably mostly be something you go looking for. That being said, fights-very lethal fights, even-will be around.

Lockepick

Posting interest here! I'll probably consider a Geist, because I'm a big fan and there's not a lot of chances to play them!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Angie

Quote from: lockepick on November 29, 2014, 03:00:28 PM
Posting interest here! I'll probably consider a Geist, because I'm a big fan and there's not a lot of chances to play them!

And that's 4 Sin Eaters! Hey, i don't mind, i love Sin-Eaters.

Apple of Eris

We are so going to need a lot more sin or they'll be going hungry.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Angie

Crash

I need to wrap up my background and I should be ready to submit.

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Crash

Apple - I was looking at Vivian.  You get one dot in Mantle (Spring) for free for starting out in the court.  It looks like you paid for it.

Muse

You do?  Wow, I didn't know that.  ^_^;;   

Is my application all right? 

So what are Sin Eaters anyway? 

TheGlyphstone

A Sin-Eater, one of the Bound.

You died. Almost. At the moment of death, something came to you - a geist, a ghost that has transcended death and become a spiritual manifestation of the manner in which it died. It says that you don't have to die, that you can return to life - but the price is that you have to bring it with you. It attaches itself to your soul, reanimating you as a living person with one foot permanently in the grave. Your Geist lends you its powers, and whispers in the back of your mind, coaxing you to empower the type of death it embodies. How you deal with your second lease on life is your problem, but you have another problem - you can see ghosts, they know you can, and they want you to help solve their problems first.

Apple of Eris

Quote from: Crash on November 29, 2014, 09:14:14 PM
Apple - I was looking at Vivian.  You get one dot in Mantle (Spring) for free for starting out in the court.  It looks like you paid for it.

OOOOOOOOH... I have a point to spend still? yay!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Crash

I forgot to spend the xp on the sheet I sent to Angie. I need to fix and resend.

Angie - PM'd a finished character to you.

Proposed Character

Name: Absinthia “Abbie” Hiver
Court: Winter
Seeming/Kith: Wizen/Brewer
Brewer

Brewer — Changelings who spent their durance in Faerie learning how to create mind-bendingly potent drinks or peculiar alchemies. Due to long exposure and gradual immunity, a Brewer gains four bonus dice to any Stamina roll made to resist poisons or intoxication. In addition, the Brewers know the recipe for The Inebriating Elixir: once per scene, the changeling can instantly ferment one pint of any drink with Glamour, turning it into a powerfully intoxicating brew. The changeling needs to be able to touch the container holding the drink to do this. The changeling’s player rolls Wits + Crafts. If the roll is successful, the player may spend one Glamour point to invest the drink with a Potency rating equal to the changeling’s Wyrd rating, plus the number of successes the player rolled. If the Potency of the brew is higher than the Health of the person drinking the brew, the person gets very drunk, and in five turns falls unconscious. If the Potency doesn’t exceed the drinker’s Health, the drinker must roll Stamina + Resolve, or suffer the effects of having drunk one more drink than her Stamina (see the World of Darkness Rule-book, p. 177). The brew’s effects last for the rest of the scene.

Blessing: Nimble (1 Glamour = 9 gain all Dex pools for 1 scene)
Curse: Spite (No 10 again on presence rolls.  -2 Untrained presence skills)
Player: Crash
Concept: Speakeasy Bartender
Virtue: Charity
Vice: Gluttony
Chronicle: The Omerta Masquerade
Experience: 5 (Used: 4)

APPEARANCE

FAE MEIN

ATTRIBUTES

MENTAL
Intelligence [2]
Wits [3]
Resolve [2]

PHYSICAL
Strength [2]
Dexterity [2]
Stamina [2]

SOCIAL
Presence [3]
Manipulation [3]
Composure [2]

SKILLS

MENTAL
Crafts [3] Specialty: Brewing
Occult [1]

PHYSICAL
Athletics [3]
Brawl [2]
Drive [1]
Stealth [2]

SOCIAL
Empathy [3] Specialty: Emotions
Persuasion [2]
Subterfuge [2] Specialty: Lying
Socialize [2]
Streetwise [2]

MERITS
Mantle (Winter) [2]
Hollow [3]: 1 Size, 1 Furnishings  and 1 Ward
Token [3]: Hedgespun Wardrobe
Rules

This item may appear as a battered wardrobe, steamer trunk or other well-used receptacle for clothing. The Wardrobe always possesses a lock, and its key hangs from a chain attached to the object. The key will not turn in the lock, however, unless the token is activated. Its owner may command it to produce a new Hedgespun outfit (p. 203) once per day. The garments provided roughly suit the changeling’s  demands  (“a  courtly  Winter  gown,”  “something  in dark leather”), but the Wardrobe cannot create protective garments sturdy enough to count as armor.
Action: Standard
Mien: The Wardrobe rattles slightly, and may shift as if alive. A chest with clawed feet may flex its toes slightly from time to time, and the moths engraved on a wardrobe’s door may seem to move their wings. Opening the object releases a musty, warm (or cold) rush of air like a breath.
Drawback:  The garments produced are physically real, but temporary in nature. Each one dissolves into mist, smoke or dust at the next sunrise, whether it’s worn at the time or simply lying on someone’s bedroom floor.
Catch: The user must moisten the key with his blood.  The wound aches slightly while the Wardrobe’s clothing is worn, distracting the wearer and imposing a –1 die penalty to any Composure rolls. A user who cannot see through the Mask cannot request a specific outfit, not that she could see it for what it is anyway; she simply sees a quaint old dress or elegant suit within the Wardrobe once it’s open.

Contacts [1]: Goblin Market (2xp)
Harvest [1]: Emotions (2xp)

DEFENSE [2]
HEALTH [7]
INITIATIVE [4]
SIZE [5]
SPEED [9]
CLARITY [7]
WILLPOWER [4]
WYRD [1]
GLAMOUR [5]10 Max

CONTRACTS
Contracts of Animation[2]
Knowing Touch

The character talks to an object or device and learns of any damage it has suffered and the location and nature of all of its weak points. The object also tells her about any hidden spaces or secret compartments within it. To use this clause, the character must handle, examine and talk or whisper to the object or device for at least half a minute.
Cost: 1 Glamour
Dice Pool: Wyrd + Crafts
Action: Instant
Catch: The owner of the device asked the changeling to examine it. This catch does not function if the change-ling owns the object in question.
Roll Results
Dramatic  Failure:  The  changeling  misunderstands the device and for the next scene gains a penalty of –2 to any roll to repair or modify this device.
Failure: The clause provides the character with no in-formation about the object or device.
Success: The character understands the details of the object’s construction. She gains a bonus equal to her Wyrd to repair or modify a damaged object or device. In addition, she knows what piece to remove to most effectively disable a device, or exactly where to hit an object to do the most damage. She can halve the object’s Durability (round down) for any attack she makes on it during the next scene.
Exceptional Success: The character also automatically learns of any hidden compartments or spaces within the object she is examining.
Instant Expertise

By touching a device and listening to its spirit, the changeling gains an instinctive knowledge of how to use it. This clause allows characters who have no idea how to use a particular device to use it without penalty and also provides characters trained in its use with additional expertise. To use this clause, the character must touch and fiddle with the device for two full turns before using it.  This clause can be used on weapons, vehicles, scientific instruments, individual computer programs or any other device or tool. Changelings can even use this to gain bonuses at picking locks or disarming security systems.
Dice Pool: Wits + Wyrd
Catch: The character has at least 10 minutes to talk with the device to learn the secrets of its use.
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure:  The character misinterprets the device’s suggestions and suffers a –2 penalty when using the device for the next scene.
Failure: The clause does not affect the character’s use of the device.
Success: The character gains a temporary specialty with the device she is touching.  This supernatural benefit manifests as a bonus to dice rolls made to use the  specific  object  equal  to  the  number  of  successes. Thus,  if  the  player  rolled  three  successes  to  have  his Wizened learn to ride a particular motorcycle, the Wizened would gain three dice to any Drive rolls made to drive  that  specific  vehicle.  This bonus lasts for three turns per point of the character’s Wyrd. It also counts as temporary dots in a Skill for the purpose of eliminating untrained penalties.
Exceptional Success:  The bonus lasts for the entire scene.

Contracts of Eternal Winter[2]
Jack’s Breath

The character cools a room considerably, or an area roughly the size of a room.
Prerequisites: None
Dice Pool: Wyrd + Survival
Catch: The character hears someone shiver or tastes someone’s sweat.
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure: The room grows warmer instead of colder.
Failure: The character fails to cool the room.
Success: The room cools by a degree decided by the character before the dice roll. See the list of suggested modifiers below for guidelines on how far a character can reduce the temperature, and in how large a room. The cooling lasts for one scene before the room gradually returns to normal temperature.
Exceptional Success: The cooling lasts as long as the character desires before returning to normal.
Touch of Winter

Liquid freezes with just a caress of the changeling’s fingertips.
Prerequisites: Mantle (Winter) 1
Dice Pool: Intelligence + Science + Mantle (Winter)
Catch: The character first spells out a name or idea he hates with the liquid on a dry surface.
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure:  The character’s hand grows very cold, and the character suffers a point of bashing damage from early frostbite.
Failure: The character fails to freeze the liquid.
Success:  The liquid freezes over.  The liquid has an effective Strength (for purposes of supporting people on a frozen pond, for example) equal to the number of successes rolled. (See the World of Darkness Rulebook, p. 47, for Strength and weight information.) This Strength is effective over a few square feet, not the entire surface, so a group can walk across the frozen pond as long as they give each other distance. A character may distribute his weight (cutting it approximately in half) by lying down on the frozen surface. The liquid’s surface remains frozen until it melts naturally.
Exceptional Success: The character may instantly return the frozen liquid to its original liquid form, as long as he chooses to do so within the same scene.

Contracts of Fleeting Winter[1]
The Dragon Knows

The character can tell why a person is sorrowful, guessing her regrets with but a glance.
Prerequisites: None
Dice Pool: Wyrd + Empathy – subject’s Composure
Catch: The character looks into the subject’s eyes for a moment.
Roll Results
Dramatic  Failure:  The character cannot figure ou why the subject is sad, but it afflicts the character as well. His mood lasts the rest of the scene and inflicts a –1 die penalty on his Social dice pools.
Failure:  The character fails to discover the subject’s regrets.
Success: The character discovers the root of the subject’s sorrow. This Clause reveals only the cause of the sorrow the subject feels now, and returns no result at all (even if successfully used) if the subject is not currently experiencing sorrow (or sadness or another similar emotion).
Exceptional Success: If the subject is not currently sad but was within the last hour, the character finds out the cause of that and why it ended.

PLEDGES

EQUIPMENT
Stiletto
Ordinary Clothing
Personal Grooming Items
Cigarette Holder
Cigarette Case
Pack of Cigarettes

BACKGROUND
Her life before her durance is a blur Absinthia.  She remembers Paris, the beautiful lights and the raucous sounds of her favorite café. She can remember she had a family though their visages are a blur, but what she remembers most is that joyously bitter verte that filled her veins and made her light as a feather the night she was taken.

If her life before her durance was a blur her durance is but fleeting dreams that intrudes upon her waking hours in frightful flashes.  There was pain, lots of pain. Being pulled and squeezed and crushed for the sweet bitter in her veins.  Terribly beautiful things suckling her until she shriveled and her seed burst from her husk to be planted and cared for until she was ripe to be plucked again.  For a time the beautiful things were happy to enjoy the nectar of her veins, but they grew tired of the same old libation and blended her with others to form even more delightful concoctions for their revelries. 

Absinthia had no concept of time in Arcadia, she was reborn from her own seed time and time again knowing only happiness in the garden where she grew under the stars.  Those stars reminded her of another time, of the lights of a city distantly remembered of faces she loved, not feared.  Her escape she was sure was nothing more than happenstance.  The fae gardener tripped and spilled Abbie from its basket where she rolled under a prickly hedge.  She had been planted for so long she had almost forgotten she had legs, but the gardener hurriedly collected the other and missed the anise and wormwood that lay under the thorny briar afraid to move until the gardener turned its back.

Abbie ran, ran through the thorny hedge that torn at her fibrous form. Her only guild the flickers of starlight above and the memory of twinkling lights in the fog of her memory.  One moment the brambles clutched at her emerald skin and the next she was free, but the place was not how she remembers, was not where she remembers at least that was what she thought.  Perhaps it was the ambiguity of her memories that brought her through the hedge so far from home.

If the fae court had not found her, Abbie would likely have meant another unfortunate end, but a local winter court lady ran a local orphanage and took her for a time to acquaint her with changeling society.  She was given the name Absinthia be her courtly patron and took her last name in gratitude towards the court that saved her.  Abbie’s durance reinforced her cravings for the excesses she indulged in in her former life and she was fascinated be how far women had come in her absence.  She embraced the roaring 20’s with enthusiasm landing a job as a bartender at a local club. Her time in Arcadia made her uniquely qualified for the job even if the irony is a painful reminder of the suffering she endured.

Oh lord the typos.  I really should have proofread that. 
<----Is embarrassed.

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Crash

Yeah I didn't have the points for the merit or I would have taken it.

Angie

Considering the supernatural nature of all of you, if you can come up with a decent explanation for it, I might let you buy Merits that are marked "only available at Creation". Behold your GM is most fair.

Crash

I have been wanting to use those pics for a while.

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Angie

TheGlyphstone

Apple of Eris

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 30, 2014, 01:39:08 AM
Not around in the 20s.

Early traces of plastic surgery can be found in India since the Indus Valley Civilization(3300 BCE).

And modern facial repairs were started in 1917, though looking at some pictures, yikes!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

RubySlippers

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 30, 2014, 01:25:27 AM
Considering the supernatural nature of all of you, if you can come up with a decent explanation for it, I might let you buy Merits that are marked "only available at Creation". Behold your GM is most fair.

My character is not Supernatural she has a knack to get people to do things for her, that's all.  ;D

wander

Just a reminder to the Changeling characters they gain a free specialty, either in Athletics, Brawl or Stealth to represent how they escaped Arcadia... Don't forget about it! ;)

Should have my character up in your PM box later today Angie... Currently gonna look for a character pic for my Dick and then I can get to writing :)

Crash

Quote from: wander on November 30, 2014, 09:28:52 AM
Just a reminder to the Changeling characters they gain a free specialty, either in Athletics, Brawl or Stealth to represent how they escaped Arcadia... Don't forget about it! ;)

Should have my character up in your PM box later today Angie... Currently gonna look for a character pic for my Dick and then I can get to writing :)

Doh!  Thanks for the reminder!

Angie

Quote from: wander on November 30, 2014, 09:28:52 AM

I don't wanna see your-oh, oh, you mean private investigator. Carry on!

Angie

The game has begun, my dears! If you are still making a character, do not fret, we will always be recruiting. Hooray for sandboxing!

RafeRavel

Hey, sorry for the late App! Hope this (likely familiar) character is an acceptable member of this midnight crew!

Dean Smith

Name: Dean Smith
Profession: Soldier
Affiliations: None
Player: RafeRavel
Concept: Bootlegger Soldier of the Night
Virtue: Justice
Vice: Wrath
Chronicle: The Omerta Masquerade
Experience: 1

ATTRIBUTES

MENTAL
Intelligence •
Wits •••
Resolve •••

PHYSICAL
Strength ••
Dexterity •••
Stamina •••

SOCIAL
Presence ••
Manipulation ••
Composure ••

SKILLS

MENTAL
Crafts ••
- Specialty: Brewing
- Specialty: Gunsmithing
Investigation ••
Medicine •
Occult ••

PHYSICAL
Athletics •••
Brawl ••
Drive ••
Firearms ••
- Specialty: Pistol Grip
Survival •
Weaponry •

SOCIAL
Intimidation ••
- Specialty: Torture
Socialize •
Subterfuge •

MERITS
Ally (Robert Kaine) ••
- Robert Kaine is a godfather, and something of a mentor to Dean. He's still considers himself a hunter, but he's past his physical prime and sticks mostly to research on the supernatural. He owns a bookstore, with 'special reading' available to clientele who are in the know. Most of these books are research Robert has collected himself in previous hunts, or discoveries he's made on weaknesses of the spooks (dynamite is a typical weakness). Gruff, but compassionate to those in his inner circle - Dean included

Fast Reflexes
- Dean has learned that staying alive typically means shooting first. +1 Initiative

Resources ••
- While not being any sort of rich, Dean has a fair amount of assets at his disposal for the confrontation of the dark forces. The most significant thing he owns being a Black 1914 Chevrolet Model H Roadster, with a hidden compartment in the bench seating for smuggling booze and weapons. In the storage space, he keeps a Thompson, a sawed-off double barrel, a small bundle of dynamite, and a few books from Robert's collection. On his person, he has a Bowie Knife, a false Pinkerton ID, a wooden stake, a cigarette case holding silver bullets, a flask of whiskey, and his faithful 1835 Texan Patterson.

Signature Weapon ••
- Dean trusts his 1835 Texan Patterson more than he trusts most people, and keeps it on his person at all times. It's evident by the customization that the weapon was designed by someone who fought the spooks, but it shows no sign of being more capable than any other weapon of it's model. It has seen Dean through many a firefight, however, and for that he trusts it with his life.

Torture Suite ••
- In his home, Dean has a little Nook special for visitors with information he needs. While not the most intimidating environment, there's still something unnerving about the room. Restraints on the walls, a table with sharp instruments (as well as items for harming the spooks) lined up in a row, and a dangling lightbulb that doesn't offer much illumination. Despite the poor lighting, Dean always seems to find just the right spot to make them squeal...

Derived Stats
Defense 3
Health 8
Initiative 6
Size 5
Speed 10
Humanity 7
Willpower 5

EQUIPMENT
1914 Chevrolet Model H Roadster
1835 Texan Patterson
Bowie Knife
Brass Knuckles
Thompson Sub-Machinegun
Sawed-off Shotgun
Dynamite (6)
Jar of Moonshine
Fitted Suit
Trench Coat
Fedora
Case of Silver Bullets (12)
Wooden Stake
False Pinkerton ID's
Box of Matches
Flask

BACKGROUND
From childhood, Dean was raised to hunt the spooks that go bump in the night by his father, Jackson Smith. His mother and brother had died when a vampire attacked, and Dean's father hadn't been the same since - dedicating his and his son's life to destroying the dark creatures of the world. Though he was trained to hunt by his father, Robert Kaine took care of him whenever Jackson went 'hunting'. Between the two men, Dean learned of both the legwork and the physical strain in their line of work. He grew up unable to connect with most children his age, and instead focused himself on being the best soldier his father could ask for.

Over the years, Dean and Jackson became more distant to each other, not having any real father/son relationship developed. Dean, however, was dedicated to the idea that family comes first, and would do whatever his father needed of him - illegal or otherwise. When his father disappeared for too long, he went looking far and wide for the man. After a year of searching he found Jackson - in the middle of a lair of vampires. Dean struggled to save his father, but Jackson was killed in the conflict - and Dean was left alone. And yet, the only thing that had changed was that he wasn't taking orders from anyone now.

The next few years, he traveled around the states trying to find a city with enough spook activity to settle down and try to do some real good. When he found Atlantic City, it was perfect - plenty of creeps, and no one seemed bothered by how he did his job. When the prohibition started, he started working as a rum-runner to fund himself and became a natural at brewing alcohol. He could get plenty of leads at the speakeasys, no one looked to hard at his 'ID's, and there were plenty of guns, if you knew where to look. Plus, Robert had his bookshop in town, which meant that Dean could get quick info when necessary. A perfect place to settle indeed...

Angie

Dean Smith receives the official GM Stamp of Approval! Let him in.

Muse

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 28, 2014, 09:37:45 PM
And it's all run by a black woman (who might be a supernatural herself) and financed by the mob.

WHICH REMINDS ME: How, uh, comfortable would you guys be dealing with race issues? I know it's the 1920s and blacks are still viewed as second class citizens, but if you guys aren't comfortable with dealing with it, I'll keep it off-screen. On the other hand, it does mean the chance to beat up a ton of KKK members. They're like Nazis, no matter how many you beat up you don't feel bad.

By the way, I don't think I ever answered this. 

I decided not to make a minority character cause I didn't want to bring those issues into the spotlight, but I do like the idea of throwing down with the Klan. 

Marie Reynolds

Sorry i have been slow in building my character. I should have her up shortly .

HopeFox

Hey guys! Been looking for a new game, and some of you know how much I love my World of Darkness. Mind if I jump in?

I've got all sorts of ideas, but the one that's sticking with me the most right now is a werewolf businesslady, a Blood Talon Ithaeur who sees business and the stock market as just another battlefield. Sharp and determined and riding the wave of Roaring Twenties corporate success that definitely isn't going to collapse in nine years' time.

(I also have ideas for a Spring Ogre jazz cellist, a Lucifuge cop, and a Ventrue suffragette, so I can fit around lots of other concepts, but the Blood Talon is my current lead idea.)
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=358012.0

Angie

I would recommend the Werewolf or the Hunter.

HopeFox

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 04, 2014, 07:05:15 PM
I would recommend the Werewolf or the Hunter.

Ooh, there we go - the Hunter just solidified in my mind. A cop who is most definitely on the take from the bootleggers and brothels, but will pursue the more heinous crimes. He generally isn't hostile to other supernatural types unless they cross that line. Descendent of Mammon, naturally. Probably actually quite wealthy, since he's been doing this for a while - Lucifuge can live for a long time.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HopeFox on December 04, 2014, 07:41:18 PM
Ooh, there we go - the Hunter just solidified in my mind. A cop who is most definitely on the take from the bootleggers and brothels, but will pursue the more heinous crimes. He generally isn't hostile to other supernatural types unless they cross that line. Descendent of Mammon, naturally. Probably actually quite wealthy, since he's been doing this for a while - Lucifuge can live for a long time.

Ooh, I like this - it dovetails quite nicely with my character, an 'honest' cop who came back from the dead and now pursues a secret life as a vigilante murdering particularly bad or dangerous criminals.

HopeFox

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 04, 2014, 08:13:56 PM
Ooh, I like this - it dovetails quite nicely with my character, an 'honest' cop who came back from the dead and now pursues a secret life as a vigilante murdering particularly bad or dangerous criminals.

Cool! There will be some potential for friction there, as my lad has never been described as "honest", but at least they agree on the big picture.

Okay, definitely doing this now. I'll get a sheet to Angie soon.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HopeFox on December 04, 2014, 08:32:52 PM
Cool! There will be some potential for friction there, as my lad has never been described as "honest", but at least they agree on the big picture.

Okay, definitely doing this now. I'll get a sheet to Angie soon.

Well, he's 'honest' only in that he won't actively take bribes. But he'll leave you alone if you're not drawing attention to yourself. And if you are causing lots of problems and/or committing serious crimes, well, the Iron Ghost might walk in through your bedroom wall one night and shoot you in the head.