News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Caertal, City of Magic (Fantasy; see below) [UN]

Started by Vandren, May 14, 2009, 06:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Caertal Wiki Page

Caertal is an independent city-state located on the Akand Peninsula. To the east is the Dragon Sea, which the Old City and harbor lie along. To the west, the Cirian Sea toward which the New City stretches. The Eldwood, several miles north, protects the city from Valkiord, a barbaric land of semi-nomadic peoples and creatures. Caertal’s nearest civilized neighbor is Markesh, a kingdom to the south, across the Aille Strait. Between the small, somewhat rundown Old City and the vibrant New City is the Middle City, still within the old city walls. The New City stretches beyond the walls for some distance.

Caertal is known as the City of Magic because nearly all of the populace practices some form of magic (see Lexicon). Far from united, the citizens come from dozens of different societies—schools, orders, guilds—that vie for power and position. Some of these societies are highly exclusive, others are inclusive. Some forbid members of various races, some only allow specific types of magicians, others take anyone. All compete with each other in myriad ways to acquire a seat on the Council of Caertal from which they can control the course of the city.

(The rest of the world, beyond Markesh and Valkiord, is open for development.)

I'm looking for this to be freeform, probably in BON, but I'm open to other ideas.

Two things I have not developed, but would like input on are technology and species:

Tech
Open for discussion, here’re my two thoughts (others are welcome for consideration):

1) Technologic advancement is roughly equal to the seventeenth century (movable type, early flintlocks, advanced wheellocks). The addition of magic can lead to some technomagical devices that are more advanced, but should never enter the realm of the Industrial Revolution. Some clockpunk and early steampunk-sytle devices may be allowed.

2) Technologic advancement is roughly equal to the early-21st century (computers, cars, semi-auto firearms, etc.). Much of this development has come via technomagic—the fusion of magic and technology, thus Alchemy developed powerful propellants, sorcerous enchantment helps lift planes, etc.

Races
Completely open to discussion.  I'm thinking Human dominant region, openings for spirits, magical constructs, hybrids (human-animal), and magical genetic upgrades are already present (but can be removed).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei