News:

Main Menu

Avengers the Movie

Started by Callie Del Noire, April 05, 2012, 02:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Looking for seriousness in Deadpool is doing it wrong. He's not non-canon, it's the rest of the Marvelverse that's non-canon. ;D

Callie Del Noire

PotAtoe.. POTato.. I just simply despise him. He was okay in the beginning but he's the marvel version of Ambush Bug..

Jag

*just finished watching the movie*

So freaking awesome.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 11, 2012, 05:18:19 PM
PotAtoe.. POTato.. I just simply despise him. He was okay in the beginning but he's the marvel version of Ambush Bug..

Which is why he's so popular.  God, I hate him.

I'll have to wait till Monday to go watch the movie now.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sabby

Wait... Thanos... isn't he that one with the power to do anything and everything, so he could snap his fingers and make the universe stop existing, but he unconsciously loses on purpose?

...I read a lot of Cracked.

Will

Quote from: AllieCat on May 04, 2012, 02:42:48 AM
My review of the Avengers movie: GLEE GLEE GLEE GLEE GLEE GLEE!

I'm just pissed I apparently missed the best one liner of the movie..

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
When Loki finally snaps and tells the Hulk that he will not be touched by such a degenerate (or something similar), and Hulk casually beats him into the ground.. and says something.. the whole audience was laughing so hard I missed it

Man, the exact same thing happened when I went to see it.  I'll admit, the scene was SO FUNNY, I fucking loved it.  But the guy sitting right directly behind me apparently thought it was funny enough to blow out a lung and spew soda spittle at the back of my head.  I just... come on, you know?  I'm trying to watch the movie, too.

Awesome movie, though!  Very funny, full of the smarmy, quippy humor that I associate with Marvel.  Most of the Marvelverse movies disappoint me in that regard, but I thought this one was really on point.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Jag

Quote from: Will on May 12, 2012, 04:52:56 PM
Man, the exact same thing happened when I went to see it.  I'll admit, the scene was SO FUNNY, I fucking loved it.  But the guy sitting right directly behind me apparently thought it was funny enough to blow out a lung and spew soda spittle at the back of my head.  I just... come on, you know?  I'm trying to watch the movie, too.

You should have told said man that you would beat him like Hulk did to Loki. :P

Inkidu

What the Hulk said after beating the crap out of Loki
Heh, puny god

EDIT: I looked up that Thanos Cracked article.

Are you joking! That would make a terrible movie villain. I don't care if you're basically the master of time, space, and towels. If you are constantly defeated by yourself, what's the point? Is there more to this "subconscious desire to lose"? I hope so because he'd be beaten by the paper boy, because ha has to lose.

I know that not all comics are the bastion of writing, but if you have a subconscious desire to lose doesn't it make any plan a foregone conclusion? No wonder he can't get in Death's pants...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Will

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 12, 2012, 04:54:43 PM
You should have told said man that you would beat him like Hulk did to Loki. :P

I considered turning around and saying something, but it would have been at least as disruptive as his laugh, so I spared the other movie-goers the drama. : /
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Will on May 12, 2012, 04:52:56 PM

Awesome movie, though!  Very funny, full of the smarmy, quippy humor that I associate with Marvel.  Most of the Marvelverse movies disappoint me in that regard, but I thought this one was really on point.

Don't feel bad.. EVERYONE missed it..

Wolfy

Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet is all powerful. However, without that he's just a big, strong guy.

That being said, I know what they'll do now.

If they don't go straight to "The Avenger's 2: Electric Buggaloo", they'll make 4-5 more movies.

And, since the Infinity gaunlet is made of five gems, or 'rings', one for each finger (And thumb, of course), each Seperate movie could have a plot based on one of the gems, which are slowly brought together, until The Avenger's 2, when Thanos seizes them all to assemble the infinity gauntlet.

Now, that's all speculation....as is whether or not they'll add on new avengers for the sequel, like Wolverine, Spiderman, Antman, etc, etc.

anais nin

It was awesome! Where can I get a cool  t-shirt?  I hope they don't ruin it with future films and start making them dark and depressing.
"It is not enough to conquer; one must know how to seduce."

LunarSage

Quote from: Wolfy on May 13, 2012, 01:59:57 AM
Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet is all powerful. However, without that he's just a big, strong guy.

Just a big strong guy?

Whoa, hold the phone.

Thanos is virtually indestructible.

Note that's the Silver Surfer unleashing nearly everything he's got on him.

He's also stronger than the Hulk in any circumstance other than Banner being completely off the charts enraged.

Yes, that supports your statement, but Thanos is so much more than that.

He is a mutant Eternal (Eternals being a race of god-like beings created by the cosmic entities known as the Celestials) with more power than any other Eternal has ever possessed.  He used his vast intellect (yes, he's smarter than Dr Doom, Tony Stark or Reed Richards) to even further enhance his own abilities.  He can channel cosmic energy to boost his physical capabilities even further or to fire extremely powerful blasts of pure cosmic energy energy.  He has developed technology that would make Stark crap himself with envy. 

Hell, Thanos outwitted the freaking devil!

The writers put in that "he always defeats himself" crap because without it, there was no reason for him to have lost the Infinity Gauntlet or otherwise be defeated.

That said, I really hope they use Thanos in a way that doesn't involve the Infinity Gauntlet.  That's up there on the cosmic scale in a way that most mo0viegoers just aren't ready for in my opinion.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on May 13, 2012, 09:40:40 AM
Spoiler'd for Size and Images

Just a big strong guy?

Whoa, hold the phone.

Thanos is virtually indestructible.

Note that's the Silver Surfer unleashing nearly everything he's got on him.

He's also stronger than the Hulk in any circumstance other than Banner being completely off the charts enraged.

Yes, that supports your statement, but Thanos is so much more than that.

He is a mutant Eternal (Eternals being a race of god-like beings created by the cosmic entities known as the Celestials) with more power than any other Eternal has ever possessed.  He used his vast intellect (yes, he's smarter than Dr Doom, Tony Stark or Reed Richards) to even further enhance his own abilities.  He can channel cosmic energy to boost his physical capabilities even further or to fire extremely powerful blasts of pure cosmic energy energy.  He has developed technology that would make Stark crap himself with envy. 

Hell, Thanos outwitted the freaking devil!

The writers put in that "he always defeats himself" crap because without it, there was no reason for him to have lost the Infinity Gauntlet or otherwise be defeated.

That said, I really hope they use Thanos in a way that doesn't involve the Infinity Gauntlet.  That's up there on the cosmic scale in a way that most mo0viegoers just aren't ready for in my opinion.

You realize that makes him a poorly-conceived and stupid bad guy, right? I mean if it's all but futile to defeat the evil guy then there's no point. If the writer's have to add in the most absurd weakness I've ever heard of just to give him a chink then he's a crappy villain. He's a one-dimensional power trip that makes early-era one-dimensional bad guys look like the most complex character ever conceived.

It's not even that he has real character flaws. He's subconsciously wired to lose. I mean if his arrogance or hubris got in the way that's one thing, or if the Avengers had to kidnap Death or stalemate him (like Galactus, and I know I've probably spelled that wrong), but no... he'll always defeat himself. Well, call it a day guys. Let's wrap this up.

I see Avengers 2 falling into the old, "Where do we go from here?" trap. The need to come up with more and more powerful villains is probably what created Thanos in the first place, but eventually you're going to reach a limit.

Oh, and it's not exactly that hard to outsmart the devil of the Marvel universe. ;)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LunarSage

Eh, I still love him.  Dunno why.  Maybe it's the sheer badassery that he brings to the table.  My favorite villains are (in this order) Thanos, Dr Doom and Magneto.

Sabby

Comic books make so much sense! :3

Quote from: Cracked on lame villain weaknessesEarlier we said that Thor is the most powerful superhero in comics, but not the most powerful person -- that's because some of these villains aren't even in the same league. Take Thanos, a guy so insanely powerful that at one point he became the "living embodiment of the universe."

Even when Thanos isn't obliterating entire galaxies at whim, he still has other powers like matter manipulation, time travel, teleportation, telekinesis and, oh, immortality. He's also a super-genius in all fields of science, because what the hell, at this point he might as well be. And yet every time, the good guys manage to defeat him and undo the damage. How come?

The weakness?

"A subconscious desire to lose." Is it just us, or are these getting more and more abstract? Is there a superhero whose weakness is "any action that is described with an adverb?"
Anyway, this means Thanos "arranges for himself to be defeated" because deep down he knows he doesn't deserve to win. It's the same reason he can't maintain an erection.

the revelation does bring his older stories under new light...

Chris Brady

Coolest cover involving Thanos in a while.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Haloriel

Just saw it today (Monday) - went to the theatre in the middle of the day so it was pretty empty.  So awesome in every way!

Decided to wait until there were less people crowding.  O:)

Dragondancer

Okay, that was fun!  ;D

*leaves a few gifties for fellow Loki fans...you know who you are! ^.^ *

Lokipics

*nodnods*

This is by chemicalcurse on DA ~ I thought it was beautifully done!

hehe

Jag

Avengers Tribute - Burn it to the ground (HD)

I think this would have been a better movie music video than the one they did make. Just my opinion.

Diabolus Lupus

Quote from: Wolfy on May 13, 2012, 01:59:57 AM
Now, that's all speculation....as is whether or not they'll add on new avengers for the sequel, like Wolverine, Spiderman, Antman, etc, etc.

I think the chances of them adding certain Avengers to the roster, like any of the mutants or spiderman, will require Disney (who owns Marvel and the Avengers movie rights) to buy up those rights from the other movie studios. Last I knew, Fox owned the mutants which is why they didn't put Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch on the roster, and I believe Sony owns Spider-man rights. As for Antman, I'm not sure why he wasn't in the film, since he was one of the original Avengers.

Chris Brady

Yes, Fox owns everything Mutant related from Marvel, and Sony owns Spiderman and all his villains and cast members.

LunarSage

Sometimes the line gets blurred, though.  Is Hydro-Man a Spider-Man villain or a Fantastic Four villain?  What about the Wizard?

Is the Kingpin a Spider-Man villain or a Daredevil villain?

Not that those first two would likely ever be featured in a feature film, but I'm just saying not all villains 'belong' to a specific hero. 

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on May 16, 2012, 07:45:01 PM
Sometimes the line gets blurred, though.  Is Hydro-Man a Spider-Man villain or a Fantastic Four villain?  What about the Wizard?

Not that those first two would likely ever be featured in a feature film, but I'm just saying not all villains 'belong' to a specific hero.
It depends on who can make the best case for the most instances. Wolverine for example is a Avengers mainstay, but he's best known for being with the X-Men. That what really determines it.

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on May 16, 2012, 07:45:01 PM

It's pretty much spelled out in their contracts.  If the character name is not listed in the contract, than it's not part of the contract.  If Hydro-Man or Wizard are listed as part of say, Spiderman's list of characters, then they are hands off for other studios.  If not, then it's best case scenario, and careful for lawsuits.