[D&D 3.5 high-level evil campaign] Project Blackguard

Started by Autocad, December 01, 2012, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimera

Cool

I'm still waiting for if the Tsochar is a go or not  :-\

Perhaps I should just go with one of the demons with known LA?

Marie Reynolds

So I was wondering if i could play an Aventi fallen paladin who dropped all his fallen paladin levels into the blackguard  prestige class and possibly took some  levels in rogue or ranger.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Kimera on December 08, 2012, 01:00:03 PM
Perhaps I should just go with one of the demons with known LA?

Hmm.  Well, you could always go the Fiend of Possession route, since I won't be taking that build choice.  You could even do the same thing you were planning to do and possess a Cleric in the order.  You'd probably want your charisma score to be as high as you could get it, though...

Kimera

Another succubus being the best road probably

A dybbuk or other Loummaru demon from Fiendish codex I - Hordes of the Abyss might also be interesting, since they have natural possession abilities. Sadly no LA for these guys as well

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 08, 2012, 03:49:49 PM
Hmm.  Well, you could always go the Fiend of Possession route, since I won't be taking that build choice.  You could even do the same thing you were planning to do and possess a Cleric in the order.  You'd probably want your charisma score to be as high as you could get it, though...

Not counting Kimera the only FOP in the party is my Dvati?
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 08, 2012, 05:12:36 PM
Not counting Kimera the only FOP in the party is my Dvati?

How are you doing that without a Half-Fiend template, anyways? Dvati are Humanoids in the Dragon Compendium, they're not Outsiders by default.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 08, 2012, 05:15:01 PM
How are you doing that without a Half-Fiend template, anyways? Dvati are Humanoids in the Dragon Compendium, they're not Outsiders by default.

Otherworldly + Ritual of alignment.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 08, 2012, 05:16:06 PM
Otherworldly + Ritual of alignment.

Otherworldly, right.

That is a really nifty combo, letting you possess two items for the price of one.

Incidentally, if you haven't already statted up your artificer cohort, let me spend one of my (eventual) three cohorts on the artificer; it's a bit more logical since I'll eventually have 3 cohorts - putting all players on equal footing in terms of PC+2 actual cohorts, mine can be a level higher than anyone else, and I get unlimited believers to feed into a Pain Extractor for XP to make magic items with.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 08, 2012, 05:16:57 PM
Otherworldly, right.

That is a really nifty combo, letting you possess two items for the price of one.

Incidentally, if you haven't already statted up your artificer cohort, let me spend one of my (eventual) three cohorts on the artificer; it's a bit more logical since I'll eventually have 3 cohorts - putting all players on equal footing in terms of PC+2 cohorts, mine can be a level higher than anyone else, and I get unlimited believers to feed into a Pain Extractor for XP to make magic items with.

I don't see why we shouldn't have 2 artificers. They are so versatile and we have so many individuals to outfit.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 08, 2012, 05:20:51 PM
I don't see why we shouldn't have 2 artificers. They are so versatile and we have so many individuals to outfit.

Because it doesn't really do anything to help us. The character's sole job will be sitting in a room somewhere cranking out magic items for us while we're out actually doing adventures, and he can do that during our long shifts of downtime/timeskips - there won't be any pressing need to manufacture items fast.

If we want a blastificer cohort, that can also work, but we only need one dedicated hyper-crafter. I'm saying let me spend one of my slots on the ubercrafter goon, and use both of your slots on characters who will make active contributions to our plan.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 08, 2012, 05:25:08 PM
Because it doesn't really do anything to help us. The character's sole job will be sitting in a room somewhere cranking out magic items for us while we're out actually doing adventures, and he can do that during our long shifts of downtime/timeskips - there won't be any pressing need to manufacture items fast.

If we want a blastificer cohort, that can also work, but we only need one dedicated hyper-crafter. I'm saying let me spend one of my slots on the ubercrafter goon, and use both of your slots on characters who will make active contributions to our plan.

AH well you can make the ubercrafter goon then. Mine was already investing some feats in metamagic and wand mastery to be able to do things like persistant buffs on the party.

PaleEnchantress

Anyway Other than the Dvati (who sadly only has 10k left after the ritual of alignment) I haven't done the shopping, but this should give everyone a bare bones idea of what I have.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 08, 2012, 12:50:09 PM
Aikaterine, a Succubus of many talents.  Character sheet is still a work in progress, though I've at least got skills and feats selected.

Looks like a decent character... but I don't quite understand the 1 level of Adept.

Kunoichi

The Magic Insight invocation functions as Detect Magic, except that it can be ended as a full-round action in exchange for an instant, cost-free Identify.  I figured such an ability would be both useful and flavorful for someone with as many hobbies as Aikaterine. ^^

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 08, 2012, 08:02:46 PM
The Magic Insight invocation functions as Detect Magic, except that it can be ended as a full-round action in exchange for an instant, cost-free Identify.  I figured such an ability would be both useful and flavorful for someone with as many hobbies as Aikaterine. ^^

Then you actually mean Warlock, not Adept. Adept is an NPC class with very minor spellcasting.

Kunoichi

Um...  Read a little more carefully. ^^; The one level I've got is in Dragonfire Adept, from Dragon Magic, not the NPC class from the DMG.  The Warlock class actually doesn't get the Magic Insight invocation, either, so...

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 08, 2012, 08:22:30 PM
Um...  Read a little more carefully. ^^; The one level I've got is in Dragonfire Adept, from Dragon Magic, not the NPC class from the DMG.  The Warlock class actually doesn't get the Magic Insight invocation, either, so...

AH the line mist keep scrolling by so fast it keeps missing the word Dragonfire. Now I understand!

Autocad

Further updates...

Go ahead with flaws; I'm not going to check them one-by-one.

Tsochar and Aventi are approved, see below for level handling.

Character creation summary

This is a massively souped-up "ECL 12" and I'll refer to it as ECL 12 for simplicity from here on.

Kunoichi - Succubus - 6 racial HD + 6 class levels + 0 LA
ExisD -  fallen Movanic Deva - 6 racial HD + 6 class levels + 0 LA
PaleEnchantress - Nymph - 6 racial HD + 5 class levels + 1 LA, wizard spellcasting substitution approved
Zaer Darkwail - Vampire Changeling - 0 racial HD + 10 class levels + 2 LA, you can take vampire lord later
TheGlphystone - Unbodied - 4 racial HD + 8 class levels + 0 LA, extra feat at level 1, 4 extra skill points at level 1 + 1 extra skill point per level thereafter, +2 to two ability scores of your choice
Kimera - Tsochar - 4 racial HD + 8 class levels + 0 LA
Marie Reynolds - Aventi - 0 racial HD + 12 class levels + 0 LA, extra feat at level 1, 4 extra skill points at level 1 + 1 extra skill point per level thereafter, +2 to all ability scores

For monsters with racial HD, base stats are those given in the monster manual. Then, add/subtract the following (+4, +3, +2, +2, +0, -2) to the ability scores of your choice to simulate an elite array. At 4 HD, 8 HD and 12 HD you get the usual +1 to an ability score of your choice. However the monster manual entry is assumed to already include the increases from existing HD. For example succubus only gets +1 for 8 HD and 12 HD.

For races without racial HD, use the elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) as the starting point and work from there.

You get feats at 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th HD, some of which may be accounted for in the monster manual entry if you have racial HD. You are free to swap those out for feats you actually want.

You can have up to 2 flaws. For each flaw you gain 1 bonus feat. You may insert these feats at any point you desire in the level progression when creating your character (i.e. you don't have to meet the requirements at level 1 because I'm nice) but you can't save them up for future levels.

If you have feats that grant cohorts or followers, you don't actually start out with them yet.

You begin with 88,000 gp worth of equipment and may have the opportunity to requisition more throughout the campaign or bill business expenses to the client. If you can afford it you can buy it; however intelligent items are not allowed in your starting equipment, and the cost of your equipment will not be reduced by any cost-reducing abilities that you or your future cohorts/followers may have.

The game is closed to new applicants for the PC slots.

I NEED CO-DMS THOUGH! FEEL FREE TO SIGN UP TO BE A CO-DM!

Kunoichi

I know I'll be playing as one of Pale's cohorts, at the very least.  I'm not sure if I'll have the time to take on any other responsibilities, though.

TheGlyphstone

You begin with 88,000 gp worth of equipment and may have the opportunity to requisition more throughout the campaign or bill business expenses to the client. If you can afford it you can buy it; however intelligent items are not allowed in your starting equipment, and the cost of your equipment will not be reduced by any cost-reducing abilities that you or your future cohorts/followers may have.

So we are not permitted to craft our own equipment?

ExisD

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: ExisD on December 08, 2012, 09:25:09 PM
I don't think we do for our starting equipment.

Standard rule is equipment you can make you get at 75% value, but the DM superseded that. So we don't get to craft out own starting gear.

Im curious what Autocad has planned as a beginning that out cohorts wouldn't be with us.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 08, 2012, 09:29:09 PM
Standard rule is equipment you can make you get at 75% value, but the DM superseded that. So we don't get to craft out own starting gear.

Im curious what Autocad has planned as a beginning that out cohorts wouldn't be with us.

I don't think there is any standard rule - the closest available is the default crafting rules. I'd certainly like to craft our own starting gear, but it's not that important. I would, however, be concerned about our ability to craft gear later, especially since our wealth will increase greatly at each milestone.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 08, 2012, 09:33:48 PM
I don't think there is any standard rule - the closest available is the default crafting rules. I'd certainly like to craft our own starting gear, but it's not that important. I would, however, be concerned about our ability to craft gear later, especially since our wealth will increase greatly at each milestone.

I know I read in one of the books that the way to deal with PC's buying items they can make is to charge them 75% of it. It's to balance that there shouldn't be an xp difference between PC's when starting a game so you don't want to have them pay the xp cost. Moot point though since we don't even get that.