News:

Main Menu

Great Game, Lame Rule?

Started by Spookie Monster, September 15, 2008, 05:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Yeah, that'd be the ones. I always found it amusing you could get a decapitation result with a sling stone.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MadPanda

Of course, RuneQuest's fumble tables were about as silly.

(I forget the percentages, but in a unit of 1000 veteran warriors armed with axes, you could expect 6 of them to self-decapitate every round.  Let me go check my copy of Murphy's Rules...)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Revolverman

Quote from: MadPanda on October 29, 2008, 02:15:49 PM
Of course, RuneQuest's fumble tables were about as silly.

(I forget the percentages, but in a unit of 1000 veteran warriors armed with axes, you could expect 6 of them to self-decapitate every round.  Let me go check my copy of Murphy's Rules...)

Ok... how are axes swung in the game? All the ways I know to swing an axe, the edge is no where near the neck, or is in a way where it cant touch it.

Oniya

I think that's the point about how silly it is.  Kind of like shooting yourself in the face with an arrow takes rare talent. *points to HH's post above*

I did once take out a buffalo in-game with a slingstone.  Critical hit, with the lucky-shot house rules that our GM implemented to make people think farther than 'Heavy crossbow maxes out at 18 hp of damage.  I can take it even without armor.'  We always explained it as the stone went in one ear and out the other.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MadPanda

I remembered incorrectly.

(ahem)

Murphy's Rules, Second Edition 1988 (Steve Jackson Games)
Page 21

"In a 30 minute Runequest battle involving 6000 armored, experienced warriors using Great Axes, more than 150 will decapitate themselves and another 600 will chop off their own arms or legs."

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Quote from: MadPanda on October 29, 2008, 05:53:52 PM
I remembered incorrectly.

(ahem)

Murphy's Rules, Second Edition 1988 (Steve Jackson Games)
Page 21

"In a 30 minute Runequest battle involving 6000 armored, experienced warriors using Great Axes, more than 150 will decapitate themselves and another 600 will chop off their own arms or legs."

I heard once that that was entirely deliberate, but I'm not very familiar with RuneQuest or its designers, so I have no idea how good my information is.

MadPanda

Basically if you extrapolate from the critical fumble tables, a large enough number of contestants over a long enough period of time will give the mentioned results.   :)  I dread to see what would happen were we to replicate this with, say, anything from the Roll-master line of rules...

In Memory of Bishrook