AD&D 2nd Ed anyone?

Started by Blinkin, December 19, 2012, 02:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Greetings [you] and thank you for checking this topic.

This is only an attempt to see if there is interest out there in a concept that has been floating around in my mind for some time. The idea is not unique by any means, but I hope that I can make it different enough to be entertaining.

The premise:

A group of college aged role-players gather for their weekly session of dice rolling, pizza and adventure in the fantasy world provided by their DM. At the last minute, the DM decides to cut away from the established quest and begin a new one with a promise of an adventure like none before.

Shortly after the session begins and the players are getting into characters in the darkened room, the world suddenly begins to blur about them and an intense sensation of vertigo comes over the players. When the dizziness and stomach churning passes, the players find themselves in the world of their game, in the bodies of their characters and must find a way to get home, or simply survive while the personalities of their characters struggle to overwhelm that of the player. .

What I’m looking for:

Ideally, I’m looking for 4-6 players who can play a “real” mundane person who is suddenly thrust into not only a world that is not their own, but a body that isn’t their own… a body that may not even be the same sex or race as their own. He/she should be able to write the conflict between the “real” personality and his/her character and the emotional conflicts that it’ll create. I’m also looking for players who will not simply disappear or stop posting without notice for periods of time. I’m not asking for daily post, but a minimum of twice a week will be requested.

As a note, the “real” as well as the “characters” will have to work together and deal with interpersonal conflicts in order to get out of the mess that they find themselves in.

The system:

If there is enough real interest, I will run this in the system that I know the best; AD&D
2nd Ed and the various “Complete book of…” material. This will not be particularly combat heavy and focus more on the journey and how they deal with the world.

Character generation and mechanics will be discussed if there is enough interest to take the idea to the next step, but I will restrict the options to those normally accepted by the system. I will also, in an attempt to keep a balance in the group, limited the number of maical classes in the party based upon how many players I get. Anyone who has played AD&D knows that the magical classes aren’tas easy to play as in newer editions.

A point of note, ALL “players” will be human. Consider the effect that you might experience if you suddenly found yourself not only in the body of someone else, but not even the same race… or sex! Some humorous moments are bound to happen, but it’s not all fun and games.

Thank you for your patience and interest in this topic. Merry Christmas!
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

Whoo-hoo!  You finally decided to do something like this!  I'm so there. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Karasu

2d Ed confuses me somewhat.. But I'm willing to play <3
SEEKING Undertale/Deltarune RP, PM to discuss details.

Blinkin

I was waiting for you to appear Mr. Muse. *chuckles*

As the post said, if there's enough interest. So far, it's been out for for about a day, and not much interest in even peaking in at it.

It may be partly me though. I haven't run a D&D game in years and I don't want to give away too much too soon. I think that I got the gist out though. College students (One character) get dragged into a fantasy world and the bodies of the characters that they were playing (second character) and mischief abounds.

Of course, considering how common magic users are in the fantasy setting here, my statement that there'll be a limit on that may turn many away. Perhaps I should really slam the door closed and say no psionics either? ;)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Blinkin

Quote from: Karasu on December 21, 2012, 04:34:53 AM
2d Ed confuses me somewhat.. But I'm willing to play <3

The system is really only being used in a limited fashion. Most of the game will be fairly freeform and not combat oriented. There will be opportunities for fighting, thieving and magery, of course, but my overall idea deals more with the characters than what they may encounter.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Teo Torriatte

Karasu

Quote from: Blinkin on December 21, 2012, 04:36:36 AM
I was waiting for you to appear Mr. Muse. *chuckles*

As the post said, if there's enough interest. So far, it's been out for for about a day, and not much interest in even peaking in at it.

It may be partly me though. I haven't run a D&D game in years and I don't want to give away too much too soon. I think that I got the gist out though. College students (One character) get dragged into a fantasy world and the bodies of the characters that they were playing (second character) and mischief abounds.

Of course, considering how common magic users are in the fantasy setting here, my statement that there'll be a limit on that may turn many away. Perhaps I should really slam the door closed and say no psionics either? ;)

I know just how ya feel.. I'm trying to learn to DM 3.5ed just because I have a campaign I wanted to do

Muse

Oh, limited magic.  IS a bladesinger okay? 

Gabriel Brewer was an athletic skinny blond kid growing up.  He sucked at sports, but enjoyed tournament style taekwondo.  He was also an avid reader—way above his grade level.  School came too easily too him, he would have done better if he’d been more challenged. 

At puberty—though he was regularly participating in marital arts and eating minimal junk food—Gabriel began to gain weight.  One could nit pick about overly large portions or kinds of exercise he did, but in the end he was just biologically predisposed to be fat, and had higher priorities than fighting it. 

Coming from a family that was financially comfortable and valued education, Gabriel was able to enjoy his time in college.  He entered as an education major, switched to undecided after two years, and—three years of classes later—settled on Creative Writing with a double minor in theater and humanities.  Except for a weakness in upper level math, the higher level class he took the better he did. 

Gabriel was one of the older gamers in the D&D group.  His last character had been a priest.  This time, he decided to try something he hadn't done in some years.  With loving writer’s craft, he made an elf maid strong and beautiful, intelligent and heroic, and set himself the challenge of playing her believably without loosing the eye candy value. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Teo Torriatte

Would it be possible to play a dark elf?

Karasu

She was of a simple sort,  she was born of a middleclass family and actually worked a job full time in a daycare as well as study for her own education major, her education would in fact take a lot longer than normal considering that it was part-time but she enjoied the work.

Meeting Gabriel in education classes they developed a nice friendship. IT was through GAbriel that she had gotten started in D&D in truth. rather enjoying playing a fantasy game. Her name was Marie, and in this game she was playing a half-elf male, of the spellcasting type, not very strong but shy and cute.

Blinkin

Howdy and Merry Christmas!

Ok, I'll try to answer the questions in some order. Remember that this is still a "if" situation, although there appears to be enough initial interest to make me start to think about things.

I chose 2nd Ed because, while I enjoy Pathfinder, I don't know the system well enough to do more than play it, and I tend to make mistakes from time to time in that. I played 2nd Ed for years and while it's been years since then, I think that I can run the game as it's mainly freeform with the system as a support structure for the things the characters will do.

A Blade Singer is acceptible, but I'll have to take a closer look at it and see how the magic side of it works. As I said, I want to avoid a party that is too magic heavy because you'll need others to survive.

A Drow is acceptible if you can accept the following conditions:
1. the racial disadvantages will be enforced. All penalties as well as bonuses will be used.
2. You can come up with a background that explains why a dark elf is both on the surface and traveling with other elves... and not trying to kill each other.
3. The character may NOT worship the spider queen... there is the Trickster though, if you want to consider that.
4. I will use all of the reported prejustices, biases, rumors and distrust of dark elves, so her/his life may be... interesting...

The two examples of character cconcepts that I've seen are great. :) I'll need a little detail on the personality of both the "real" character and the "fantasy" character. They should be different enough that you're not just playing "yourself" in another body. Those who have gender switches will have some fun times ahead. ;)

I'm really easy to get along with, if you contact me with an idea, I'll hear it out and am open to discussion.

Attributes: 4D6, reroll 1's and drop the lowest. That should give you some decent stats.

Level: 6; if you're multi or duel classing, the maximum number of levels is still 6. IE: a 3/3 fighter mage, a 4/2 thief/ranger or a 5/1 fighter/mage.... whatever combination you want to use. The usual rules apply.

Equipment: All you'll need will be the basics for the class. Weapon/armour and tools of the trade. Everything else will be provided and I'll make a random roll to see if anything is magical.

Any questions?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Are we translating into a specific setting?  Like Forgotten Realms or Birthright?  Or should we build histories that contribute to the setting? 

Blinkin

The world will be one of my own. It's been far, far too long for me to remember very much about the established worlds. So, backgrounds should be more general in locations.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Blinkin', I gather your world will have it's own patheon. 

Will you allow any material from the Faiths of Faerun trilogy?  Like the Mystic, Crader, Shaman, and Monk?  Or even the adaptation of a priest of specific mythos to your setting? 

luna mentioned playing a  drow.  Might Eilistraee exist here? 

Blinkin

I'm not going to limit the options of dieties, so if you want to import a diety from elsewhere, feel free.

I've also considered sects, but haven't made a decision on that. I just don't want "evil" characters as that just complicates things and it's hard to be "good" when you're worshiping an evil god/goddess.

Someone has brought up an interesting point, and I need to address it.

Some multi-class characters will have significant different experience totals than some single class, or even dual class characters if I restrict the levels to 6 or a combination that adds up to 6 levels.

Therefore, after looking at the experience totals to reach level 6 for most classes, and to make it a little more fair in the experience totals earned. You can select your class and level based upon 36,000 EXP. With the exception of the mage, this will put everyone who plays a single class at level 6 and within fairly easy striking distance for mages.

For multi-classes, this gives you 18,000 to use in two classes, or 12,000 if you want to try three classes.

For the first level, take max HP for the class(es) and reroll 1's for each level afterward. warriors can only take the larger CON bonus when they advance in their warrior level, otherwise, it's the maximum +2. So, a fighter/mage advances a level in fighter, she gets the 1D10/2+ a CON bonus up to their con. When she goes up in Mage, it's 1D4/2+a max con bonus of +2.

Make any sense?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Makes perfect sense!  :) 

How do we do gear? 

My application so far: 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
   Gabriel Brewer was an athletic skinny blond kid growing up.  He sucked at sports, but enjoyed tournament style taekwondo.  He was also an avid reader—way above his grade level.  School came too easily too him, he would have done better if he’d been more challenged. 

At puberty—though he was regularly participating in marital arts and eating minimal junk food—Gabriel began to gain weight.  One could nit pick about overly large portions or kinds of exercise he did, but in the end he was just biologically predisposed to be fat, and had higher priorities than fighting it. 

Coming from a family that was financially comfortable and valued education, Gabriel was able to enjoy his time in college.  He entered as an education major, switched to undecided after two years, and—three years of classes later—settled on Creative Writing with a double minor in theater and humanities.  Except for a weakness in upper level math, the higher level class he took the better he did. 

Gabriel was one of the older gamers in the D&D group.  His last character had been a priest.  This time, he decided to try something he hadn't done in some years.  With loving writer’s craft, he made an elf maid strong and beautiful, intelligent and heroic, and set himself the challenge of playing her believably without loosing the eye candy value. 

Name:      Amarantha Evensong
Race:      Elf
Class:      Ranger 5/Mage 4
EXP      18,000/18,000
Kit:      Bladesinger

Strength   16
--Damage Adjustment +1
--Weight Allowance 55lbs
--Maximum Press 170lbs
--Open doors 8- on d20
--Bend Bars 10%

Dexterity   18
--Reaction Adjustment +2
--Defense Adjustment -4

Constitution   16
-Hit Point Adjustment +2
--System Shock 95%
--Resurrection Survival 96%

Intelligence   17
--Bonus Proficiencies +6
--Maximum Level of Spells: 8th
--Chance to Learn Spell 75%
--Maximum Spells/Level 14

Wisdom   14
--Magic Defense Adjustment +0-
--Bonus Spells 1, 1

Charisma   11
--Maximum Henchmen: 4

Hit Points   33

Armor Class:   1   (Armor Spell: AC 6.  Dexterity -4, +1 Single Sword Style)

Longsword: 
--#Attacks   3/2
--Thac0   13
--Damage   d8/d12 +4

Short Bow, Composite
--# Attacks   2
--Thac0   17
--Damage   d6+1
--Amo      20

Weapon Proficiencies:  (Thac0 16)
Bladesong Style Specialization X2
Longsword, Specialized
Singe Weapon Style Specialization

Non-Weapon Proficiencies: 
Blind Fighting         NA/NA
Dancing         Dexterity/18
Etiquette         Charisma/11
Hunting         Wisdom -1/13
Reading/Writing      Intelligence +1/18
Singing         Charisma/11
Spellcraft         Intelligence -2/15
Tightrope Waling      Dexterity/18
Tracking         Wisdom +1/15

Class Abilities: 
--Animal Empathy
--Nature Lore
--Primary Terrain: Forest
--Species Enemy:  Trolls
--Survival: Forest
--Thief Abilities: 
----Hide in Shadows      56%
----Move Silently      65%

Kit Abilities: 
+1 to hit and damage with the Long Sword. 
Additional +1 to special maneuvers. 
+1 to Armor Class while casting a spell. 

Languages: 
Common
Gnomish
High Elvish
Sylvan Elvish
Troll Speak

Racial Abilities: 
--Automatically searches for secret doors within 10 feet.  (Roll or 1 on a d6.)  If actively searching, will find a secret door on a 1-3 on a d6. 
--90% Resistance to Sleep and Charm
--Elven Martial Arts (Limited by kit.)  +1 to hit with long and short swords. 
--Virtual invisibility in wilderness terrain for non-combat purposes. 
--Elves impose a -4 on enemy surprise checks. 
--Reverie and Communion
--Infravision 60’

Saving Throws: 
Paralyzation, Poison or Death Magic:  11
Rod, Staff, or Wand: 11
Prettification or Polymorph 12
Breath Weapon 13
Spell 12

Spells/Day
L 2
1.  Acid Arrow
2.  Mirror Image

L 1
1.  Armor
2.  Grease
3.  Magic Missile

Spells desired in book: 
L 2:  Acid Arrow, Continual Light, Mirror Image, Rope Trick, Wizard Lock
L 1:  Armor, Cantrip, Detect Magic, Feather Fall, Find Familiar, Grease, Identify, Magic Missile, Read Magic

Hit Point Rolls Record: 
Mage:  4, 2, 4, 2   +Con=20
Ranger, 10, 8, 8, 7, 3   +Con=46

Gear: 
Sashling with spell book pouch. 
Wizard locked spellbook wrapped in honey leather. 

“Merry Met, stranger, welcome to Glenraven.  We welcome all who come in peace, in search of honest trade.  When the sun is above the trees, it is a time for business.  We trade both our own wares and those of our more reclusive cousins—the high elves of Crystal Keep and the sylvan elves of the deep woods.   If you’re coin is good and your need is sincere, you may also find you can hire elven mercenaries here, or commission the craft of magical items—though the second can run a goodly fortune.
   “The High Boughs Inn offers you its hospitality.  Let us know if you can’t make it up the rope ladder.  The price of the first drink is always a story.  When the stars shine bright it is time for singing.  We always love new songs.” 
   Amarantha Evensong grew up in a tree house outside the forest town of Glenraven.  Her father, Arthus, was a mage powerful enough to craft magical items, and he was known to sell a scroll or three in his time.  Her mother, Eelonwy, was a ranger skilled with the bow and a master of herb lore—especially the medicinal sort. 
   As a child, Amarantha played in the woods, but had to take care, for orcs, goblins, and especially trolls sometimes raided them out of the nearby hills.  The third child, Amerantha need not succeed her parents in either of their crafts.  With dreams of a strong and independent life protecting the elven way, she apprenticed to the local master of the Bladesong.  For a hundred years—beginning when she was just a slip of a girl of twenty, Amarantha endured ten hours a day of grueling mental and physical training.  Fortunately, she only needed four hours or rest every night, giving her time to dance, play and meet foreigners visiting Glenraven.  She and her family alike were never  more proud than when she was given the panther tattoo and took her oaths to defend the elven people and uphold the elven way. 

Blinkin

I'll accept her, but I need to ask if the spells listed are the ones that she regularly memorizes, or if it changes from day to day. If it changes, I'll need the new list each day.

Equipment: At this point, all that she needs is armor and weapon. Everything else will be provided. As a random roll, her magical item is a +3 longsword and +1 chain (not elven) If you like, I'll trade the chain for a +2 studded leather or leather.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

I think we could do that. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do about the book situation. I think that if I ask nicely, Mr. Muse will help you with the AD&D character generation part of it.

The game will be largely freeform; the system is more to set a mood and to add structure than anything. But, as I learned AD&D by playing it, I'm sure that you can pick it up as you go.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Quote from: Blinkin on December 21, 2012, 04:44:09 PM
I'll accept her, but I need to ask if the spells listed are the ones that she regularly memorizes, or if it changes from day to day. If it changes, I'll need the new list each day.

Equipment: At this point, all that she needs is armor and weapon. Everything else will be provided. As a random roll, her magical item is a +3 longsword and +1 chain (not elven) If you like, I'll trade the chain for a +2 studded leather or leather.

The spells change from day to day.  She tends to keep Acid Arrow wracked in case she runs into trolls.  (Or enemy spellcasters.) 

The longsword is VERY NICE. 

Could I trade the armor for Bracers of Defense?  Or just forge it and use the Armor spell?  It's both a stylistic thing and that I'd like to be able to cast my spells.  :) 

Phoenix, I'd be happy to help you with the mechanics. 

Teo Torriatte

Oh hey there Red! That would be awesome if you could play!

I will have a character(or at least the beginnings of one) up some time tomorrow. Pretty sure I will be playing a Dark Elf.  :-)

Blinkin

I'll offer to reroll the armour and see what you get on the random tables, or you can think about trading the chain with someone else for something they might get.

As a note, all of the magic items that I'm giving out are randomly rolled just for the variety. I have no idea what anyone gets until the dice stop. So, if someone gets a ring of wishes or a scroll of continual light is up to the dice.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

All right, I'll wait a bit to see if someone needs it. 

But I a miscellaneous wondrous item or ring would have much coolness.  :)

(Or a wand...  Magic Missiels...  Or maybe Wonder.  ;)  )

Blinkin

Ok, 1 ring of self delusion and wand of confusion coming up... just make sure that you're pointing the dangerous end at the bad guys. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Marie Reynolds

Hello I would like to throw my hat in. For the Modern World I was thinking someone in the that most likely makes custom order clothes with an online business  and a bondage model and goes to school partime for a batchelors in Fashion Design. In the Fantasy world she would be a bard flavor of which still deciding on and not quite sure of the race yet.

Blinkin

Your welcome to toss your hat in.

So much for that wanting to limit magic... why did I think that I could get away with that? lol

The make-up of the party so far is:

1. Muse: Elven ranger/mage (5/4) "Bladesinger"... magic-user
Karasu: Half-elf mage ... magic-user
Luna: Dark Elf unknown class... innate magic.
Red Pheonix: Unknown
Marie Reynolds: Unknown bard ... magic user.

I can see that we may be decidedly light on thieving abilities and devine intervention ability. So, I hope that these ladies can either charm their way out of things, or get use to being tied up and ravaged by who knows what. ;)

The pattern holds true! *chuckles* I must be the last hold out who doesn't care for magical characters. lol

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.