Voices From Below and the Long Stairs

Started by Celestial Goblin, May 19, 2008, 11:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celestial Goblin

This is a really awesome stuff some people on rpg.net wrote up.
Modern military in nightmarish Gygaxian dungeons. Just read it yourself, it's really cool:)
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=391379

HairyHeretic

Only read the first page so far, but it sounds like a great idea for a campaign.

Who wants to run it?  ;D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

NightBird

Jeramiahh

I'm so tempted to toss aside my current campaign idea and run this, instead. Seriously, that is *amazing*.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

HairyHeretic

I finished reading the thread (63 pages) in work. I want to play this game :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NightBird

I even have a character concept in mind. Admittedly, it borrows to a certain extent from a certain character in a Geiger-inspired horror film, but it would so fit.

HairyHeretic

Read the thread, if you haven't already. There are some excellent characters developed in there. Especially Martinet  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NightBird

I haven't gotten through all of it yet, just the first three pages, but I'm plugging away a page at a time when I have a few minutes.

Celestial Goblin

Once I take care about all the !@$%@% I'm dealing right now, I'm willing to run this.
My idea of system would be Savage Worlds or Microlite20.

NightBird

I'm familiar with Savage Worlds and have enjoyed the few games I've played using it. What's Microlite20?

Celestial Goblin

Microlite d20 is an 'ultra light' version of d20.
http://wiki.greywulf.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Macropedia/Microlite20
Not a bad thing for a game that's got a lot to do with D&D, especially old D&D.

I really love Savage Worlds, though. It's cool that I'm not alone in enjoying this game:)

HairyHeretic

Not sure how good a fit Savage Worlds would be.

We're talking about running it in my local club, possibly using Call of Cthulhu.

The GM isn't telling the other players what it will be though  ;D I'll be the ringer, the vet assigned to take care of the rookies. I just need to find a suitable military phrase for the acronym DCF so I can refer to us as Dungeon Crawling Fools and have a shoulder flash with Belkar on it  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Celestial Goblin

Savage Worlds is good for military vs monsters action and I'd add one of the insanity mechanics to simulate acclimation. Though CoC could work nice enough for a more serious, less heroic game.

HairyHeretic

I tried Savage Worlds while doing Necessary Evil, and its an ok system, but I don't think it a great one. My own initial thoughts were towards d20 Modern or something like that. I've only ever tried CoC at cons, so wouldn't call myself any way familiar with it. I wonder how well nWoD might do?

Cattle die, kinsmen die