Split Topic Tutorial

Started by HockeyGod, September 06, 2011, 03:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

Is there a tutorial on splitting topics somewhere hidden? Every time I do it I woefully screw it up and have to request assistance. I'd like to know how to do it correctly  ???

Oreo

It's fairly straight forward if you are splitting the Topic from a certain point and everything after that or a Single Post. Simply check 'Split topic after and including this post' or 'Only split this post'.

Type in the title of the new thread and 'Split'. If the new thread needs to go to a different forum, contact a Purple Staff Minion to move it for you :D.

I have never selected specific posts though, I can't help you there.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

To split a selection of posts:

On the Split Topics page click the "Select Posts to Split" and click Split Topic.

A list of posts will be displayed with a small arrow in the upper right corner or each post.  Clicking the arrow will move the post to the right.

After selecting the posts to split off into a new thread click Split Topic at the bottom of the page and continue from there.

HockeyGod

Why thank you Sirens.

I do have a follow-up question. I seem to be able to easily split topics into a new thread - it's very user friendly and easy. My big problem is when I want to move a post from one thread to another. Perhaps the reason I'm having problems is that it can't be done. If it can be done, how?

Oreo

It needs Purple power. You need to get Staff to move the thread from one forum to the other. We're happy to oblige, just send the link.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Beguile's Mistress

To move a post from thread to thread I think you need to split the post into a new topic and then merge the new topic and the one where you want the post included.

It's going to insert the moved post in date order.

HockeyGod

Quote from: Oreo on September 06, 2011, 06:29:41 PM
It needs Purple power. You need to get Staff to move the thread from one forum to the other. We're happy to oblige, just send the link.

Bah...purple power...I prefer neon orange power  ::) *bows obediently* I just mean in the same forum, but different threads ;)

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on September 06, 2011, 06:32:45 PM
To move a post from thread to thread I think you need to split the post into a new topic and then merge the new topic and the one where you want the post included.

Yes, this is it...I always forget the merge step! I'll fail to do try that next time. Thanks BeMi!

*absconds with bwutiful sirens, tempting them with unicorns, puppies, ice cream and handcuffs*

Beguile's Mistress

*ponders handcuffed puppies licking ice cream while riding unicorns* ;D

Oreo

::) Like you need to bribe us. *hugs*