Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Started by RubySlippers, December 13, 2013, 03:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Okay saw it I will not try to spoil things. It was a fine transition movie but the last movie will be a MUST SEE for all the cool stuff. Still Smaug was AMAZING I mean perfectly done AMAZING a must see on the big screen wrath that vomits flame power and arrogance to boot.

Other things were true to the book but tied into the LotR Trilogy some were not, but the movie was there to connect the first and third film I would say it was good excluding Smaug near the last hour of the film.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

How about *four* movies, Peter Jackson? Or maybe five? After all, Hobbit is such a long book...  ::)

RubySlippers

Yes my guess is that one will have the: Spoiler Alert

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
1. Death of Smaug
2. Death of Sauron's Incarnation (expect an epic fight with several magical power houses, Gandalf maybe not he is in a cage right now minus destroyed staff)
3. Battle of the Five Armies

Lux12

Quote from: Beorning on December 13, 2013, 04:03:03 PM
Waitaminnit. There are going to be *three* Hobbit movies?  :o
I had the same reaction. Though after seeing the first some of my concerns were abated. Though it still seems a little awkward that they're stretching it out. They have done adaptations of novels noticeably longer than the Hobbit's 310 pages in one film after all.

RubySlippers

They also wanted LotR tie ins and they did not follow the book exactly.

Oniya

Quote from: Lux12 on December 13, 2013, 05:28:33 PM
I had the same reaction. Though after seeing the first some of my concerns were abated. Though it still seems a little awkward that they're stretching it out. They have done adaptations of novels noticeably longer than the Hobbit's 310 pages in one film after all.

Tolkein's work tends to be a bit dense, even with something written ostensibly for children.  Even with three movies, I'm betting they left out certain parts.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lux12

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 13, 2013, 05:32:12 PM
They also wanted LotR tie ins and they did not follow the book exactly.
Now it makes sense. That also explains why they focused on scenes I wasn't rightly certain were in the book or not. They seemed to handle it fairly well though.

Stella

I love that it's 3 movies. There's a lot of stuff that happens behind the scenes in the Hobbit that we'll get to see now, such as the White Council at Dol Guldur etc. And I love all the extra stuff PJ includes in the films, too - imo, these aren't books that directly translate well to screen.

*Counts down the days til Boxing Day*

RubySlippers

Anyone else here think the hippy Green Wizard is cool?

(shrooms baby)

I'm glad they got Smaug right on the money with nods to The Hobbit animated film that had me worried as a fan of the book.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on December 13, 2013, 05:49:10 PM
Tolkein's work tends to be a bit dense, even with something written ostensibly for children.  Even with three movies, I'm betting they left out certain parts.
Actually, Mr. Jackson is using Simillarion to fill the holes between LoTR and The Hobbit.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

The Golden Touch

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Stella

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 13, 2013, 08:58:07 PM
Actually, Mr. Jackson is using Simillarion to fill the holes between LoTR and The Hobbit.

Not quite. He doesn't have the rights to the Silmarillion. He's not allowed to mention anything from Tolkien's works outside of the Hobbit, Lotr and the Appendices in that volume (hence the comment about forgetting the names of the two other wizards, he could not legally mention them by name.) So extra canon material is coming only from the Appendices at the back of Lotr.

Besides, there is very little in the Silmarillion covering the years between the end of the Hobbit and the events in Lotr anyway. The bulk of the book covers the dawn of the ages up until that point. XD

Null

I watched the trilogy and it was amazing. Haven't watched the new hobbit movie. Should I watch that one before this one or am I good? ( sorry >_< Don't know my hobbit history as well as I should )
I was younger then, I wasn't afraid of anything, I didn't think about dying for a second. I thought I was invincible. Then I met her. Before me, my world shattered. I wanted to live, I started to think like that; for the first time I was afraid of death. I had never felt like that before.

The Golden Touch

There are some free sites you can watch the first one on. I only say watch it because I'm OCD that way and prefer to watch them in order.

In Conclusion... Just got out of the movie. Damn them and the trilogy. I get why they did it but damn it. Also... Crushing hard on Orlando bloom again- thanks for that Peter Jackson. Similarly... Thorin is hot in a dwarfish sort of way. Other than that, I give them props for a lot of this movie. Definitely more impressed with part two than I was of one.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Null

Well great! Thanks for the tip. You saved me a few hours of my life I wouldn't be getting back ^_^
I was younger then, I wasn't afraid of anything, I didn't think about dying for a second. I thought I was invincible. Then I met her. Before me, my world shattered. I wanted to live, I started to think like that; for the first time I was afraid of death. I had never felt like that before.

Lux12

Quote from: Stella on December 13, 2013, 09:04:03 PM
Not quite. He doesn't have the rights to the Silmarillion. He's not allowed to mention anything from Tolkien's works outside of the Hobbit, Lotr and the Appendices in that volume (hence the comment about forgetting the names of the two other wizards, he could not legally mention them by name.) So extra canon material is coming only from the Appendices at the back of Lotr.

Besides, there is very little in the Silmarillion covering the years between the end of the Hobbit and the events in Lotr anyway. The bulk of the book covers the dawn of the ages up until that point. XD
That seems really odd and arbitrary that they can't mention something in the same canon unless they have the rights to individual works. Maybe it's just me but that kind of bothers me.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Lux12 on December 14, 2013, 12:22:02 AM
That seems really odd and arbitrary that they can't mention something in the same canon unless they have the rights to individual works. Maybe it's just me but that kind of bothers me.
Welcome to the wild wooly world of licensing.

And the reason the Tolkien Estate won't EVER license out anything from the similiron (or however it's spelt) is because it's unfinished and people could 'extrapolate' thus 'polluting' the 'sacred ' canon of Middle Earth.  Which apparently goes counter to J.R.R. Tolkien's wishes because there was a rumour that he wanted ME to be a 'shared' setting at one point.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

IrishWolf

Just got back from seeing The Desolation of Smaug myself and it was awesome, just fucking awesome.

Stella

His son Christopher who now owns the rights to the Tolkien Estate finished the Silmarillion from Tolkien's own drafts, pulling together enough to make a publishable work. I'm not sure of the details exactly, but I believe that has a great deal to do with why the Silmarillion will never (at least within the period of copyright) find its way into any other media. Christopher Tolkien's never watched the films, and the Tolkien Estate's never been actively supportive of them.  They're very much "this is the book, those are the films, they are completely different and we're not endorsing them." < not actual quote. :P

So I'm not actually sure how permission was secured in the end to make the films - though I do know that it was in developmental hell with other filmmakers as far back as the sixties (when the Beatles were considering making it into a film, with John as Gollum. >>)

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Stella

Lux12

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 14, 2013, 06:02:36 PM
I just have to...
The dwarves could have solved this entire problem before they had to go on this grand quest if they had only given the dragon a snickers...That makes the whole story sort of tragic, albeit in a comedic way.... How many? How many people must die before the dragon is given a snickers? :p

Deamonbane

He would have turned into Sherlock Holmes... more people would have died from his Detective skillz, and Grammar Nazism...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."