Benevolence (Interest thread)

Started by Wolfie, October 04, 2013, 07:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie

(I will be refining this idea over the next week or two)

So what I was thinking was having two parallel realms, one dark (eternal night), one light (eternal day). In each all creatures can use varied levels of magic. The light is ruled by a king, and the dark a queen. The two realms may not coexist as one world, or it would collapse into oblivion. The catch is that only the queen knows this. And the king has set out to collect a a pair of ritualistic tomes, one hidden in each realm, that would, in theory, allow him to combine the two realms.

The path between the two is called the Gate of Sacrifice. To cross into the opposite realm one must give up something crucial to them (such as one of the five senses or their magical prowess), that will not be returned until returning to their own world.

Obviously only nocturnal creatures in the dark realm and vice versa. For example, dwarves and humans would not be found in the dark realm, but elves and nekos can.

For character species I am willing to be lenient for you creative people, as long as their home realm makes sense.

Magic elements for the light realm: Wind, metal, ice, light, electric
Magic elements for the dark realm: earth, water, fire, shadow, forest

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I really want this to work, as it will be inspiration for my novel.
I'd prefer anyone interested to be able to post at least 2-4 decent paragraphs, but once again, I am lenient. Just no one liners.

Thanks for taking the time to look over my idea, and I also thank everyone in advance for any ideas you may provide me with!

Yukina

Seems interesting. :) Are the people in the dark realm evil or do they just have dark races?

Wolfie

Yukina

Ok. :) Thank you for answering my question. I think I'll make a meek neko then. :)

Wolfie

Well, it'll be a while before it's up. But thanks. Tally up one for the dark realm lol

Yukina

Not a problem. It seems like an interesting plot. :)

Wolfie

Thank you. I've been told it's rather unique.

Yukina

I think I might make my neko have a brave alter ego, though she's faking the brave persona. It truly wouldn't be that hard with magic. :)

Wolfie

Well, I'm going to have magic divided into categories and elements. That's what I plan to get done today.

Yukina

Interesting. I look forward to seeing your progress. :)

Charlotte Fox

I may be interested in the dark realm as well. What sort of creatures are you wanting to allow?

Wolfie

I was planning on allowing  pretty much anything you can come up with,  as long as the realm makes sense and the creature isn't godly. The only characters that should be that difficult to defeat, are the king and queen.
Also, each character will be allowed two magic elements from their realm.

Karasu

pretty interesting Wolfie. Color me interested.
Removed, due to vandalism.

Yukina

I can't wait to see which realm has which magic. :)

Wolfie

Actually I put it up earlier. Take a look.

Yukina

That looks great then, Wolfie! :) Just a question: is it possible to create metal armor with shadow magic despite there already being metal magic?

Wolfie

Yes and no. while not actually metal, the shadows could wrap around ones body, and harden rapidly to prevent damage to the caster. That would be the shadow armor spell.

Yukina

Quote from: Wolfie on October 04, 2013, 09:14:35 PM
Yes and no. while not actually metal, the shadows could wrap around ones body, and harden rapidly to prevent damage to the caster. That would be the shadow armor spell.

Ok. Thank you for clarifying. :) Are there spells that utilize two elements?

Wolfie

Well I'm going to list generic spells that are for all elements tomorrow (such as armor spells which will be immune to their own element), everything else will be up to your imagination. I won't force people to list them all off though.
Also each character will have a signature spell unique to their character. Guess you could call it a finishing move lol.

FATALITY! ;D

Yukina

That's sounds great then. :)

NEKOTALITY!! :)

Wolfie

I'm hoping that this creative freedom will lead to some creative characters and encounters.

Stygia

This sounds pretty interesting. It's definitely a unique idea. Would there be a space in between light and dark realms where people from the two realms can mingle, or is it a strictly one side or the other situation?

...how would you feel about bird-folk on the light side? Human form, but with wings, toe-talons, and hollow bones? *grin*

Wolfie

It would be one side or the other. There would be one space in between, but that is reserved for something special.

And avian characters would be a welcome addition to the roleplay.

Stygia

Most excellent. Count me in when you're ready to get it rolling :) I'll start thinking about a character.

Wolfie

It'll be a bit but I appreciate it.

Wolfie

So how many so far? 5 including myself?

Yukina

Correct. Five if you include yourself.

Wolfie

Alright, hopefully when I get it done we will have more

Wolfie

Alright, I'm going to ask for your input on ideas for expanding plot. I'm a bit stuck.

Stygia

In what direction? Towards an overarching theme? You've got your light and your dark, and the dark side knows to keep the two worlds apart, and the light side wants to merge them. Do you have a reason that the dark queen hasn't told the light king why they shouldn't merge, or a reason that he doesn't know that merging the two worlds would destroy them? Why is he bent on merging them?

It's hard in cases like this where you may have many people with different ideas about how the story should go. Ideally, you would provide whoever is playing the king/queen (if not yourself) the answer to those questions, as well as "at X point in the future, you will decide to do this thing" to further the plot in the direction you want it to go.

Maybe the queen finds out about what the king is doing, and instead of negotiating, or hiding the spellbooks, she thinks that he knows what he's doing. Maybe she decides to wage war on him in retaliation? Or she's more benevolent, and asks for some kind of truce. What if the people who cross over after giving up one of their senses/magics learns the truth? Is there a veil between that takes their memories once they cross back to their own side? What if they want to stay on the other side, regardless of what they've given up? Will it drain their powers or life force? 

Or is there a third, unknown force that wants the worlds to be destroyed, and he/she/it is manipulating both sides? Would the king or queen learn this? how do they combat the third party?

I'm just throwing out ideas here, because this is how I brainstorm for my own stories. Maybe something will spark a thought. If not feel free to ignore my rambling :)

MelisaArtemis

Seem pretty interesting. I have a lil question about the races though: Is it possible for the race to have light and dark counterpart? like... on the light side, we have the Winged Elf race while on the dark side, the Night Elf. Or different type of the same race like... Light side Kitsune that specialize on supporting type magic while the dark side Kitsune specialize in more aggressive magic.

Laughing Hyena

Awesome stuff. This reminds me a lot of words worth and a similar RPG that I cannot recall of the top of my head. Anyway I am interested in this to be sure. ^_^

Wolfie

Artemis that would be perfectly fine, but realize there would have to be noticeable differences in appearance.

And thank you stygia, let me take some time to write or the first chapter, then I will simply use that.

MelisaArtemis

Of course. Light Kitsune , I'm thinking something along the line of my current avatar

MagicalMayham

Im interested in the light, Maybe just a normal human or a light elf...
Rebellion against a tyrant is obedience to God. ~Benjamin Franklin
In this world its not faith that saves us but Defiance. ~Benjamin Franklin
Sex.  In America an obsession.  In other parts of the world a fact.  ~Marlene Dietrich
To hear many religious people talk, one would think God created the torso, head, legs and arms, but the devil slapped on the genitals.  ~Don Schrader
No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.  ~Abraham Lincoln

Laughing Hyena

I definitely want to be from the light world though I am not yet certain on what to do.

MelisaArtemis

lol, thats a surprise, Hyena. I kind of thought you'd be one of the dark ones :P

Laughing Hyena

Why would you say that? *confuzzled*

MelisaArtemis

just cause. You seem like someone who like the dark side of things XD

Wolfie

Hey guys, between finding a job, and just bullshit in general, I don't know when in going to be able to get this up.

Julles

Hey, Wolfie! Sorry it took me a while to respond, I lost among threads. :( But, alas, of course I would love to be apart of this little shenanigans. :)

Wolfie

I'm happy this looks like it will be successful, however I will start work again and I don't know when I will be able to be online within the next month. :(

Wolfie

Geez, six months I've been gone and I'm still at a loss for how to expand this idea

AndyZ

I would like to suggest some sort of neutral ground, a place where everyone can meet up without big losses but that isn't going to be seen as some sort of invasion.  That would help everyone get the chance to RP with each other without one side or the other having a huge disadvantage.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Wolfie

AndyZ

I offer it to you for your use ^_^
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Wolfie

Maybe  I'll throw in a Gate guardian who can arrange meetings between the worlds.

Karasu

Hey wolfy. Is it possible to make a nuetral character? Maybe one or two that do reside in this middle space? (well no one asked about it anyway!)

Wolfie

I was planning on making a guardian

Karasu

I am highly interested in helping witht his if I may. Perhaps a twin to your guardian?

I have been very much into playing the wise old type of guardian myself..

Wolfie

Well Karasu I will give you a Pm when I finally get back to working on it. I'm going to have a friend help me out, since I just don't have the time to work on this solo at this time.