News:

Main Menu

My anime crew?

Started by Koibito, January 20, 2012, 06:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koibito

While I'm well aware this is no anime-based forum, being a RP forum I know there must be anime fans around. I want to call ya'll out, meet and greet ya, and make some new friends with similar interests. All fans of anime should come and stop by to meet; my interests include shounen, the more actiony types of anime like DragonballZ although I do have more modern examples but I'll save those for conversation purpose when I get some people around here ^^

P.S. I do hope I posted this in the right place and that there isn't a similar thread somewhere, please correct me if I did something wrong here ^^
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=130125.msg5766879#msg5766879

Been sick the past couple days, will get to posts when I can~

ShanaTheIV

I'm quite the anime fan myself. I especially enjoy action, mecha, martial arts, super-natural, fan-service and yuri. Although I haven't watched THAT much, some of my favorites included DBZ, One Piece, Cowboy Bebop, Black Langoon, Samurai Champloo, Galaxy Angel, and Tenchi Muyo. It's kind of hard for me to get into romance but if in involves yuri, I'll definitely give it watch. ^^

And I actually do think there should be an anime forum of some sort. Maybe have a Movies and TV forum with anime as a sub-category. I think there should be a video games forums as well if there's none already.

Haruki

Yep, I'm definitely an anime fan, been so since 1996.

Unlike many who really got into it thanks to Dragonball Z when it aired on Cartoon Network, I came into it a few years earlier, and not with DBZ, but instead with a little-known series, Samurai Pizza Cats.  It just took that and the rest is history.

I don't keep up with newer series like I once used to, but I still collect and watch things I missed.

I seem to be the odd one out though when you get into genres, especially among fans who are more around my age.  I notice a lot of folks into more action-y things or stories that you almost need a dictionary-sized 'guide' to understand half of what's going on....psychological thrillers and stuff.  While I have gotten into more action-oriented stuff like Naruto (original series only), and Rurouni Kenshin both which I liked (Kenshin more than Naruto though), along with older mind-benders like Evangelion, more contemporary stuff like Death Note, Bebop and Champloo just never grabbed my interest.  Ditto the sci-fi and mecha side like the Gundam franchise.  I understand the historical significance of things like Bebop and Gundam, but they're not my cup of tea.

I suppose, like me with my gateway....a satirical, pun-laden comedy about a bunch of anthropomorphic feline crime-fighters who run a pizza parlor all day, most of the above are what got people into anime.

Sometimes, and especially moreso today, I feel like I'm alone in having gone a bit outside the box.....or used to.  When I started in the fandom, I went from Pizza Cats, to the classic Akira, and onto more comedy....,Ranma 1/2, and The Slayers specifically.  The former because it was just funny, the latter because its RPG/medieval fantasy setting grabbed me.  From there, I just kept on branching out and exploring past my comedy roots.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I love having a romance in what I watch (older anime like Fushigi Yuugi, and newer titles like the re-telling of Shakespeare's classic Romeo x Juliet do this well enough for me), even though it's not a dealbreaker if the series in question doesn't contain a hint of romance.  I enjoy settings that evoke a fictional world where one learns its history and inner-workings, like those of The Twelve Kingdoms.

Shoujo and slice-of-life are rather high up there on my list of favorite genres.  Not the current crop of slice-of-life favorites like K-on though.....not my thing.....girls in highschool uniforms as a rock/pop outfit just doesn't do it.....seems a bit pandering.....what's wrong with a series like Beck, which I enjoyed immensely?.  It's more 'adult' in tone and does the whole 'teens/young adults' in a rock band gig better and far more believable/realistically.  Instead of that, I'll take stuff like the aforementioned Fushigi Yuugi (in the shoujo area....the series also fits into the drama and romance angles), Someday's Dreamers, which is nice, if possibly too slow-paced for some, a more recent fave has been Petite Princess Yucie...a cute little comedy/adventure seemingly aimed at the female audience (but I've been enjoying it), and one can't forget Cardcaptor Sakura, which introduced me to the 'magical girl' sub-genre of shoujo, and also to CLAMP.  Perhaps oddly, Sailor Moon wasn't one that appealed to me.

There's of course the slew of visual-novel-to-anime adaptions I have.  Air, Kanon, and Clannad.  They're all fine, but I don't go actively seeking anything newer (or older) out.  These seem to only appeal to a certain sort of fan, due to their slow pace.

I mentioned Twelve Kingdoms, which gives me a nice character-and-world-building story.  I enjoy this stuff immensely.  Sadly, the Japanese culture....or the otaku base within it.....I don't know which, seem to be adverse to stories featuring strong-willed females in an uber-high positions.  As such, no one takes risks on these anymore.  This really is sad, because whilst we do this 'strong-willed/independent' female stereotype more in Western storytelling, it's almost always just 'superheroine' sorts of gigs in sci-fi.  I've never been one for comics.....the DC and Marvel realms.  While Twelve Kingdoms is more a series of short stories in a way, one of them does feature a young lady who is taken from her humdrum life as a typical high-schooler, to that of being crowned Queen and as such, having to deal with that whole new set of challenges.  Another series I can't seem to push enough is Saiunkoku Monogatari (The Story of Saiunkoku).  It got lost amongst all the "Haruhi mania" since it started air in Japan in 2006.  It's about a young lady with lofty goals, who through a stroke of luck, gets a chance at her dream....in the same, also being thrown into the nasty realm of politicing.  A little more recently, Spice & Wolf has become a favorite of mine.  It explores economics in a medieval-fantasy realm.  Moribito, yet another one in a past-time setting and with a strong female lead.

From time to time, I still revisited my comedy roots.  Azumanga Daioh! sticks out front-and-center for me.  It's the more obtuse sort of comedy though, the sort that often can get lost in translation.  While perhaps some maybe did (and thus you needed the booklets that came with the single-disc release run of the series), they still pull it off and it still gained a nice-sized following.  Love Hina applies the rom-com (romantic comedy) angle to a harem setup.....it's not one I make time to watch like I used to, but I still watch its Christmas special every year around the holidays.  Like many other 'fanboys' out there, I still swoon over Ah! My Goddess, both for its fun, easy-going, easy-to-follow premise, and a certain goddess.

I could go on, but I'll stop.  I ramble on so much.  ^^;;

Whilst I wish E! had an anime and gaming board, it's doubtful they'll bother.  This is mainly a role-playing/storywriting board.  That said, I'd love to RP based off these worlds, but I don't make up original characters to the themes or worlds.  I play the 'canon' roles, which seems to be highly unpopular (unless your a young teen and just beginning to discover the many worlds of anime.).  What doesn't help in anime's case around here is that the characters all look too damn young half the time, especially in more contemporary works.  I never cared for hentai.  Too much hentai fanart is over-exaggerated crap-ola, and the animated side of hentai......forget it.

Video gaming is a more mainstream medium, though this will depend on genres one is into.  It would probably have a better chance of getting a forum.

Really though, this forum works well enough.

In short, count me into E!'s small stable of anime fans.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Jag

I am most certainly an anime fan. Not a fanatic, but a big fan. Akira was the first anime movie I can remember seeing, after that would be KiKi's Delivery Service. The first show I remember watching was Dragon Ball. DBZ is probably my favorite anime, even if I don't watch it nearly as much anymore. I'll watch just about any anime at least once. I do prefer more action type ones though. I like fighting, muscular men, puny villain names, and silly fighting poses.

I have a very big soft spot for Alexander Senki, mostly because I was big on reading about Alexander the Great when I was in school.

While I adore the long, drawn out, need a guide for animes...I do prefer the shorter ones. Things I can sit down and watch the whole series in a day or two if I wanted to. Things like Alexander Senki, Trigun, 3 x 3 Eyes, Cowboy Bebop, Battle Angel Alita, Angel Sanctuary, FLCL, Outlaw Star, and Tokyo Babylon come to mind.

I also prefer anime movies to shows. They are shorter and I just don't have the time I used to to sit and watch a whole series.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

CmdrRenegade

I'm checking in to.  I like my occasional comedy buy my interests defintely fall into the shounen (One Piece, Naruto, Soul Eater, etc.) category and seinen (Berserk, Grappler Baki, Ghost in the Shell, Hellsing, Vinland Saga, and such).
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

NightRabbit

*raises hand* Oh I'm a huge anime fan. I'm not a fanatic but since I was 5 or 6, I've been hooked on the genre. Nice to meet you all since we haven't met formally. ^_^ *brings in cookies, tea, and and coffee for everyone*

Koibito

I'm glad Ive gotten such a response, hello all! ^^

See I prefer longer series because I like the fandom to last as opposed to 'that one thing I read once'. My current fandom is Saint Seiya, an older but more epic (and possibly continuing soon) manga (Oh my would I love a rp of that). Another thing, I prefer manga over anime, anime tends to take its own liberties with cannon story. I love hearing all your preferences and knowing how many people are around here that like anime, with my lack of replies from others in my rp thread, I thought there weren't many.

Jag

There are many anime/manga fans on Elliquiy. I think the lack of responses to your RP Request Thread is because it's non-forum. While there is nothing wrong with that and we do have quite a number of non-forum players, the majority of Elliquiy is forum based roleplays.

I tend to lose interest in longer series unless it's already finished and I can easily get my hands on it. Naruto lost interest to me because it became too long and I disliked waiting for the episodes to come out. Same reason I stopped watching Sailor Moon, I got tired of waiting for it to finish. Luckily, there are plenty of good animes out there that are long and finished.

I recently read a 10 book long manga called Ichi the Killer, it is most certainly not for the faint of heart or who have queasy stomachs. Neither is the very short OVA Prequel that goes along with it or the live action movie adaption. Point is that not only is it finished, but it shows that anime, like any other media, has something to please and interest everybody. Whether you enjoy something fluffy and cute or something bloody, nasty, and gory. ^

Caeli

I'm a huge fan of anime as well, but I'm not really in the mood to rehash everything I've ever watched and liked, so I'll list some and perhaps expand in the future.

My all-time, absolute favorite anime, manga, and novel series is Saiunkoku Monogatari. It seems strongly reverse-harem at first, but the series becomes extraordinarily serious later on, and I loved the treatment of Shuurei as a main character. At times, it did seem like she was flawless in many respects, but I don't think it was incredibly unbelievable. I also liked the initial storyline, and loved the political nuances and situations.

I was first introduced to anime with Cardcaptor Sakura, which I abhorred because I first watched it English-dubbed. I enjoy the manga more, but I adore the Japanese series because even though the same formula appears (real world problem turns out to be magical, Sakura saves the day after some fumbling), I was surprised by the creativity of the solutions. I never felt like the episodic plotlines became repetitive, and this after watching episodes back to back in a CCS marathon.

Another early series was Fushigi Yuugi. I wasn't so much a fan of Miaka, but I really liked Nuriko, Chichiri, and Tasuki. (Unrelated, but I also enjoy looking for interesting AU Fushigi Yuugi fanfiction.)

Most of CLAMP's work, I generally love. My favorites have been Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (for obvious reasons), xxxHOLiC, and Magic Knight Rayearth.

I enjoy a lot of slice of life and school dramas, and also enjoy sports-related or sports-centric series to a degree. I've become a huge fan of the Maria-sama ga Miteru (Marimite) series which, unlike many other series in the slice-of-life genre, seems slow-paced and potentially boring in its realism. Ookiku Furikabutte is a baseball series that has a somewhat unusual art style, but once you start reading and watching, find yourself caught up in the lives and stories of the characters. (I learned a lot about baseball from Oofuri.) Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei was another that I really enjoyed. NANA and Honey & Clover also hold special places in my heart, as does Paradise Kiss (which appeals strongly to my newly-awakened fashion bug). I wasn't a huge fan of Sailor Moon in the beginning, and I'm still not, but I appreciate a lot of the messages that the series strives to teach.

I haven't tried Naruto, One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, and other such popular series, so I can't comment on those. I enjoy Vampire Knight even though I think the storyline is unoriginal and the characters not very compelling. I like Special A even though it's predictable at times and episodic in nature (which I don't really like). Arina Tanemura's stuff is also pretty much universally enjoyable for me - Full Moon o Sagashite (the manga) was one that I liked, though I enjoyed Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne much more. I did start Shinshi Domei Cross at one point, but stopped reading it after a while. I'd also like to try Sakura Hime at some point.

I know I'm forgetting a lot that I've watched and enjoyed, but these are the most memorable ones for me. There is one more, Sunadokei, that I've been crazy in love with and intend to purchase once I start making money at a legit job. It's another slice-of-life, and I don't even think it's anything very special or out of the ordinary for its genre. Something about the main protagonist really captured me, though.

I have not been keeping up with anime recently (mostly an issue of time), though, so I haven't watched a lot of the recent releases. It's a lot easier for me to keep up with and find new manga fixes - FIVE, Deep Love, Dokuhime, Ruri no Kaze ni Hana wa Nagareru, Sora Log (or anything by Mitsuki Kako, for that matter), and Koizora have been manga-only series that I kept up with via scanlation groups for a long time. I did watch some of the television dramas associated with these titles, but usually prefer the manga to the television adaptation.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Jag

Quote from: Caeli on January 21, 2012, 07:54:32 PM
Another early series was Fushigi Yuugi. I wasn't so much a fan of Miaka, but I really liked Nuriko, Chichiri, and Tasuki. (Unrelated, but I also enjoy looking for interesting AU Fushigi Yuugi fanfiction.)

Chichiri is the best. *nods*

Faustus

Well, let me just drop into this thread right 'ere - I suppose any girl that has had to do a panel on "The History and Artwork of Japanese Animation" must count herself amongst the anime fans.

I, too, am not a particularly obsessed individual (anymore), but I am a semi-vet (1998 was when I entered the scene and clearly recall it). I still love my anime to pieces, don't get me wrong. I have an entire bookshelfshelf devoted to my manga series (plus another bit for my...*ahem* adult yaoi related pieces), and a good deal of my DVD collection is related to series I have collected. Of my "Fandom" folder on my laptop, 3.29GB of it is related to anime/manga material, and that's before we get into the subbed episodes and scanlations for series.

In short : I'm not an otaku, but I sure do love my series.

I bounce all-over the places with what I watch/read, what genres I watch/read, and what I have watched/read. I'm a well-rounded fan?

I think?

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Haruki

Caeli, seems our tastes overlap a bit, though since I'm kinda  out of the loop with newer anime, I admit I have never heard of half the titles towards the end of your response.

Still it's always a pleasant surprise to find others who enjoyed Saiunkoku like I did.

I too, got my introduction to CCS via the English dub version.  The art is pretty, the dub......not so much.  I turned down the TV volume and just played music whilst watching the pretty art go by.  No way in hell was I going to burn my ears further than I did with that one.  Due to my sight, I typically watch anime in English whenever possible, but I just wasn't going to do that with CCS.  It wasn't easy, but with some adjustments to the DVD player's text display brightness and overall contrast of my TV, I could make do with the subs, and I'm glad I went to all the trouble to do so.  A very rewarding experience and it gave me a pleasant little shoujo / magical girl series.

With Fushigi Yuugi, I personally don't get all the Miaka dislike in the fandom.  I don't know how it was when the series was originally fansubbed back in the late 1990s before it got its VHS and DVD runs in 1998-1999 and 2004-2005, respectively. (There were the uber-expensive box sets that were put out after each of the 8 volumes per-season of the TV series were released on VHS, but I decided not to include those)....but in general, she's disliked.  I suppose her dub voice didn't help matters.  FY's a dub I can tolerate, because other than Tenchi and (coming out around the same time), El Hazard, it was one of Pioneer's early dubs.  It's not BAD for an early dub....there's worse from the 1998-2000 timeframe, seriously, but I've always had to basically keep quiet about my like for it because of the scorn I'd get.  It's definitely not a winner though.  They do okay pronouncing character names....but two things people always cite are Chihiri's 'ya'know' (originally 'no da'......think Naruto's 'dat-te-bayo'.....it wasn't meant to be translated to English, but had to be due to lip-flap animation), and Miaka's rather 'whiny' tone.  I'll give that..but I ignore little things like the former.

It's a series I still revisit every few years, for nostalgia.  It flows like the daily daytime soaps that are quickly disappearing.  Melodrama oozes as does the mushy teenage romance, but it's a textbook example of 1990s shoujo.  I do like the setting and costume design though.

I guess I'm just too damn understanding....the 'put up with it' type of an anime fan.  If I had good vision, and access to an anime club at some university back in the mid-late 1990s, I'm sure I'd probably think and have a different view of things than I ended up.
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Koibito

See I prefer the longer series when they are unfinished because that means my fandom can last, I can talk about the latest chapter every week and be all excited for next week's.

Sad thing 'bout my posts then I guess, Michi. Yeah it's just I feel odd about others being able to ready my plots. Especially the original story ones.

Haruki

I enjoy my share of long series, but they're really few and far between these days, even in native Japan.  Really the only ongoing series are One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, and Pokemon.

I personally prefer those that fall somewhere in the 13-90+ episode range.  I feel depending on the story, that's just the right amount to cover all the bases.  The only long series I own is Naruto, and that's only the 135 canon episodes of the first series.  2nd longest being Maison Ikkoku (at 96 episodes or so), then followed by Cardcaptor Sakura (@ 70 episodes and 2 movies).

Most others I have fall between 13-52, basically covering 1/2 a season to 2 full seasons of content.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Faustus

Quote from: Haruki on January 21, 2012, 11:26:25 PM
I enjoy my share of long series, but they're really few and far between these days, even in native Japan.  Really the only ongoing series are One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, and Pokemon.

I personally prefer those that fall somewhere in the 13-90+ episode range.  I feel depending on the story, that's just the right amount to cover all the bases.  The only long series I own is Naruto, and that's only the 135 canon episodes of the first series.  2nd longest being Maison Ikkoku (at 96 episodes or so), then followed by Cardcaptor Sakura (@ 70 episodes and 2 movies).

Most others I have fall between 13-52, basically covering 1/2 a season to 2 full seasons of content.
I somehow didn't realize that CCS was that long when put into animated format. I was so mad when I was younger - My satellite provider stopped offering the WB, so I didn't get to watch the second season until I became an adult and used the school's internet to watch it. I never have forgiven DirectTV for that one. . .

I gave up on Naruto at some point too (though I own 100+ episodes somewhere in my closet). . .I only occasionally drop in to check and see how my favourite character is doing. Last I checked, he was working his way into quite a villainous spot. I'm so proud.  :'(

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Haibane

Something of an anime fan here too, as my username suggests.

I discovered anime through The Matrix and wanted to find out what the Wachowski's proclaimed inspirations were so picked up DVDs of Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I was blown away completely by both of these, especially the rape scene in Akira. I was stunned. Rape? In a cartoon? Whoa. But while I was in the shop buying these I saw a DVD cover with a pig flying an old biplane and because my husband is a military history buff and does stuff like mess about with radio-conbtrolled planes and models I picked it up. I thought the cover looked a bit silly but gave it a whirl anyway. It was, as you've probably guessed, Porco Rosso. That opened my eyes to Studio Ghibli and I've since bought and watched and loved everything they've made until Ponyo which I still haven't got around to seeing yet.

Early on I also discovered Evangelion and was completely ehthralled by that as well. I found that cartoons that deal this much about characters deep psychoses to be a complete revelation over western animation and was thoroughly hooked. I think NGE is probably always going to be my No.1 favourite anime of all time.

I tend to stick to the high school and slice of life types of story, and avoid almost everything where people have superpowers or turn into machines. Evangelion is therefore for me, not my average type of show, though I consider it to be not a sci-fi story about mechs but a story about what makes people tick and how lives can be ruined when things go wrong in people's heads. More than a sci-fi story its another tale about people, the kind of thing I like.

In recent years I was one of many millions of fans of Haruhi Suzumiya thinking that KyoAni scored a huge hit with their chosen random airing sequence for the show, which complemented it perfectly. I'm also a lover of Kyon's deadpan delivery, he's one of the best leading (or is it trailing?) males ever created in anime.

Others I love? It would be hard to just make a boring list but Beck made a big impression on me. I liked its gritty realistic style and the fact that not everything works out in people's relationships or goals. More recently I've enjoyed the fresh cuteness of Aoi Hana, the oddness and cool artstyle of Eden of the East, the unending tidal wave of spoken dialogue of Bakemonogatari, the back-and-forth time travelling madness of Steins; Gate and the oppressive totalitarian darkness of Jin-Roh. Oh, I also watched The Sky Crawlers the other day with my hubby, another random purchase because of aircraft on the DVD cover but such a marvellous and engaging story; I love these minimalist stories that the Japanese are so very good at writing.

Moving on to directors I particularly love, other than Miyazaki and Takahata, Satoshi Kon was a genius, pure and simple: Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, Millenium Actress and Paprika were all wonderful, if somewhat dark, journeys into the mind and Makoto Shinkai's Place Promised and 5cm per Second are films I can watch over and over just for the beauty of the artwork.

Jag

I must admit, my guilty pleasure when it comes to anime is Beyblade. I don't know why. It's not that good and it's a little poor on the plotline, but I just love it so much...though I only enjoy the first segment, from Japan to Russia. Anything past that can kiss it, in my opinion.

And even though it's not technically 'anime', I adore Samurai Jack. I really wish the series would have gotten an ending, but I can understand why it didn't back then and why it won't ever. I think it would be horrible of them to try and end it now when the voice actor for Aku died (Mako). Even Avatar: The Last Airbender had trouble continuing on without him to be Uncle Iroh. I know when the voice actor for Tien died from DBZ, they decided to cut his characters part as much as possible and then when he was on screen, he got little to no speaking roles because they didn't want to replace him if they could help it. It's so sad when a good voice actor dies.

hardlucksixth

I like things that have guns, cool, and philosophical navel-gazing in it.

Thus, my favoritest anime ever is Ghost in the Shell. All of it, the movies, the tv series, the manga, everything. I love it.

A couple other favorites I have are things like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and IGPX (the 5 minute mini-shows, I haven't seen the new one that's got proper episodes). I used to get my fix from Adult Swim and Toonami, and I guess that shows...

ShanaTheIV

Hardlucksixth, have you ever heard of Gunslinger Girls? I haven't quite finished it yet but from what I've seen, this organization trains teenage girls how to use actual fire arms. The story is quite decent so far imo. As anyone else seen that show? 

Haibane

Yes. I have the DVD boxed set, it's pretty good. Set in Italy for a refreshing change, with good solid artwork and relatable-characters. There's quite a bit of focus on the hardware of the guns and stuff, I've no idea if I'm looking at rifle or a machine gun to be honest but I imagine the guns are very accurately rendered.

Gunslinger Girls isn't a happy-feely story though so its fairly dark all the way through. It has an interestingly touching ending however.

I always thought it would make a very good setting for a group RP, though you'd need to raise the age of the girls which I think are as young as 12 in the anime.

Haruki

I think it's time I drag out my Eden of the East and Baccano sets and watch those with an open mind and a serious eye.  I bought those a little while back in an attempt to broaden my scope.

Yet my MOST recent buys were these:

-Clannad / After Story
-Princess Tutu
-Petite Princess Yucie

I'm feeling really out of the loop.  That or my mind just hasn't 'matured'.  I don't know, don't care much.

Not many adults are into the sorts of things I've been into for some time.  The three mentioned titles are backlog titles I didn't get when they were originally released (because I was into other things in anime at the time).  Lots of arty and / or realistic sorts of things been tossed about here that I've no clue about, other than recognizing their titles.

I do have Shinkai's 'Voices of a Distant Star'....his first venture into anime.  Literally a blind buy for me.  It was nearly a one-man gig there.  After watching that, I have nothing but admiration and respect for it and the man behind it.  His more recent works have been more fleshed-out productions by studios (with him overseeing things as producer/director), but that first one was all him and it shows.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Jag

Not sure if it will be your sort of thing, Haruki, but I found Princess Tutu very enjoyable. Then again, I'm a bit easy going on anime, movies, and tv shows. I find the good in just about any anime.

hardlucksixth

Quote from: ShanaTheIV on January 22, 2012, 12:36:35 PM
Hardlucksixth, have you ever heard of Gunslinger Girls? I haven't quite finished it yet but from what I've seen, this organization trains teenage girls how to use actual fire arms. The story is quite decent so far imo. As anyone else seen that show?

I've heard of it, but never quite gotten 'round to watching it. Little girls with guns strikes me kinda weird, but, I've had multiple people recommend it to me over the years. Must be something good, right?

Koibito

Quote from: Haruki on January 21, 2012, 11:26:25 PM

There are plenty more than that as far ongoing series. Just the popular ones are One Piece, Naruto, Bleach (sadly lol), Hitman Reborn, D. Gray-Man, Fairy Tale, and many more.

Oh Michi, I too love Beyblade, no guilt here haha ;3

Caeli

Oh yes, Studio Ghibli films are also wonderful. I haven't watched all of them, but I've loved all the ones that I have.

Also, Haruki (I think), some of the ones I listed near the end are actually manga; I don't think some of them are anime (yet). Most of the earlier stuff is anime, though, but I'm pretty old-school.

Also forgot to mention Full Metal Panic. I didn't like Fumoffu, but the original series and The Second Raid were incredibly enjoyable for me. Also (and I can't believe I forgot to mention this one), I just love Ouran High School Host Club. At first it seems like a whole lot of nonsense and comedy, but the story flowed incredibly throughout, with the depth of the characters really bringing them to life as the series wore on. (As a note, I enjoyed the anime, but the manga is much better.) Another guilty please of mine is the sexy and action-packed Gunsmith Cats - and after getting into shooting pistols myself, I can very much appreciate the difficulty of Rally's fictional abilities with weapons.

I prefer to watch all of my anime subbed (Japanese voiceovers) because I feel that they are more original to the characters. I'm also familiar with watching subbed anything (I started my Japanese dramas soon after I got into anime), and I love listening to the cadences and nuances of the language, which you can't get in most dubs.

My beef with Miaka wasn't really her voice, and more to do with her character. I remember the dislike being similar to the one I had for Usagi from Sailor Moon.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Chris Brady

I've been an Anime fan from about 3 years old.  But I didn't know that it was anime back then.  After all, they were on the French Canadian channels (translated), but I used to watch a whole slew of Shoujo titles, Captain Albatross, Captain Future...  Astro Boy... (This I saw in both French and English.)

In about 1998, I actually got into it heavily as an Anime club opened up at a local university.  Haven't looked back.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Haruki

@ Caeli:  Miaka's character was a popular stereotype back in those days.

------

I think I explained already why I preference dubs over subs.  For me it's not about what's original (and in some fans' opinions, 'better'), but more of a necessity.

I'm fair though about it.  If a dub is bad, I call it out.  Crest of the Stars, anyone?  And they all said to me. "Most stuff tailored more for TV airing (ie: Pokemon, Naruto, etc) are bad."  Ohhh no no.  There are bad direct-to-home-video dubs too.....some I daresay are/were WORSE than anything on TV.

Fushigi Yuugi doesn't count for me among the 'worst of the worst' though.  It came out at a time when they (dubs were starting to finally be given a more serious take in terms of production values....but just weren't quite there yet.  Close, but no full cigar.  Before it and a few other titles, there was some truly laughably BAD stuff out there.....most anything from the defunct distributor, Streamline Pictures.  Early ADV (back then as A.D. Vision) stuff is often cited as being bad, along with stuff by CPM prior to their releases of Loddoss War (OAV) and The Slayers (starting with the 2nd half of the first season to that series.....the first half had rather terrible VAs for two of its major characters).  Many disliked Ranma 1/2's dub.....though considering it was done WAY back in the early / mid 1990s, it's not terribly bad.  It's just dogged by a stiff vocal track that they fed through software that shortened or lengthened syllables and silent parts to match mouth movements.  Trouble is that it resulted in an end product sounding very artificial, thus almost killing the experience.

Alas, here comes my 'understanding' side of me.  I didn't find it terrible.  Passable, but not grandiose either.  If I were into anime back in those early days, I would have probably been the stupid one and called it the best dub around.

Really preferences often stem from what you first saw.  Me with my visual impairment and no access to a close-by university with an anime club (closest would have been a 1hr 15min trip away), and most all major retailers (really only Sam Goody and Suncoast) choosing to carry dubbed videotapes over subtitle, all were factors in the way I enjoy my anime.

If circumstances were different, I'm pretty sure I would have taken in an equal amount of subbed anime as well, like the few (if any.....nothing the last couple years grabs me as 'interesting' and worth the time to track down and stream) that I'd be watching online today.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Jag

I doubt many Yaoi fans have stuck their heads in here yet, but has anyone ever seen Ai No Kusabi? There is a mild following for it here on E (I run a very slow group game for it). To me, it's a very good show, even if the animation is a little strange.

Faustus

I think some dubs are superior to subs, due to the fact that they can actually display certain aspects that the original Japanese audio track could not : Hellsing (Ultimate OVA more than the Original 13 episodes) is one of those prime examples.

The setting isn't even in Japan : It's main focus is spent in the United Kingdom (London, mostly) and, due to that, for the realism of the characters, you require the accents. Japanese VA's cannot give characters accents like the dubs can. I think, personally, it really helps to emphasize traits and features with the characters : The Nazi's are German. The Hellsing's are English. Maxwell is Italian. Anderson is Scottish (I can't recall if the character was actually written as an Irish priest, or Scottish, but the actor himself is native-Scottish, so I'm rolling that way. . .). Pip is. . .er. Well. French, even if Yuri needed some help with that one.

I tried watching that one subbed, but it failed terribly. I couldn't get behind the voices. Nothing against the original actors, but they had nothing over the dubbed ones.

There are, however, other anime's that the dubbed acting was just. . .*wince*

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 22, 2012, 05:06:56 PM
I doubt many Yaoi fans have stuck their heads in here yet, but has anyone ever seen Ai No Kusabi? There is a mild following for it here on E (I run a very slow group game for it). To me, it's a very good show, even if the animation is a little strange.
Yaoi fan here. I've seen small bits of it - Dial up has limited me on that front, which is very depressing. . . I liked what I got to see, at least.

Haruki

@ Michi:  In what way is the animation strange?

I admit, yaoi isn't something I actively look for.  Other than the rather tame Gravitation, it just never grabbed me.  Ditto yuri (which I'm sure some guys enjoy.)  At the end of the day, I preference hetero romance, though I can understand completely how some folks want to sate their fantasies, or get away from the (unfortunately) cliched presentations of hetero pairings.

Romance in anime is where the culture divide between Western and Japanese mindsets really rears its head. Over there, there's a lack of really strong female leads.  Most are hampered by ditzy, airheaded, or 'doormat' personalities, and most have highly subservient leanings.

Unfortunately, that's the fantasy of many-a-Japanese 'otaku' male, as so it goes.

It doesn't work here, and hasn't for ages.  I even notice it in my choices for anime.  Since watching 'better' shoujo titles with stronger females (ie: Cardcaptor Sakura.....albeit the lead character is young, I sense the strong independence in her), and other titles with strong female roles (Moribito, Saiunkoku, Twelve Kingdoms, etc), I can't go back to stuff with the typical female personalities that run rampart in the anime world.  On occasion, I sate my fanboy needs for that with oldies like the Ah! My Goddess OAVs or something, but nothing much in new material out there appeals to me.

@ Faustus:  I think that's another driving factor of what works and doesn't, in terms of dubs.  If the anime is set in a Japanese(-esque) setting, people tend to lean towards the original Japanese track.  For English and U.S. settings (like what Hellsing has, I'll also throw in Eden of the East, Spice & Wolf, Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood, plus a myriad of other titles set in past-fantasy/medieval/etc periods), often more than not, the dub suffices or exceeds the Japanese track.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Jag

Quote from: Faustus on January 22, 2012, 05:11:46 PM
Yaoi fan here. I've seen small bits of it - Dial up has limited me on that front, which is very depressing. . . I liked what I got to see, at least.

Ai No Kusabi is based on a novel, which I have been trying to get my hands on for a while now. It is really good and they are doing a remake that the first part was set to release in Japan earlier this month.

Quote from: Haruki on January 22, 2012, 05:16:37 PM
@ Michi:  In what way is the animation strange?

I guess I should say that it looks different rather than strange. It seems very Gundam Wing to me, which isn't a bad thing. Honestly, as excited as I am for the remake, the look of the Blondies (mostly Iason) seems off. Rather than looking high and mighty, superior, strong, and almost like Lestat should for the Anne Rice books...he looks ill and sickly. Not like the strong man that was capable of mangling a human body with his bare hands that he was in the original.

Chris Brady

I hated Fuushigi Yuugi.  Man... For my money, I hate dubs.  Because the main issue is that they try to lip sync.  And they will change the lines spoken to 'fit'.  Also, American dubbing companies STILL don't understand that Anime fans DO understand some of the foibles of Japanese culture (Or if not, we're willing to LEARN about them.)  That's what I hate about dubbing.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Haruki

Yikes, that's a bit of a strong way to put it, but to each their own.

Alas, I realize I'm in a minority in the fandom, especially when one gets away from mainstream anime and into more niche titles.  It's why I often don't hang out on anime message boards.  Way too much loathing for dubs.  I know, I know, I shouldn't let it get to me, but it does a tiny bit.

If it weren't for dubs, I wouldn't be able to enjoy anime, period.  I can't see as well as most into anime, so subtitles (especially on some of the brighter backdrops anime tend to have) are a bitch.

I've come to just agree to disagree and usually ignore the hate.  We have our preferred way of watching anime.  I just don't wish to be ridiculed or mocked for it.

As for FY itself, it is really a love it / hate it title.  I can handle that.  For someone like me who liked the series, I even found some aspects annoying.

"Miaka" / "Tamahome", "Miaka" / "Tamahome", "Miaka" / "Tamahome"......etc etc etc

Need I type more?  :P
=====
My Introduction
=====

Koibito

So is anyone old enough and or obscure enough to be a fan of Saint Seiya?

Haruki

I can only speak for myself of course.

I don't think St. Seiya got big here in the U.S.  It was Dragon Ball Z (DBZ) that most people got attached to here from what I remember.  DBZ was massively huge, anime chatrooms were full of younger fans going on and on after each day's episode commenced.  Yes, it was that huge, and whilst its fanbase has shrunk with people getting older, it still does have its devotees.

I do recall reading online though, that around many parts of the rest of the world outside Japan and the U.S. / Canada, St. Seiya was 'the big action anime' to get popular in the 1990s, especially in Mexico and other regions of Latin / S. America.

I'm old enough to remember all the series of the 1980s (The Littles, Heathcliff, GI Joe, etc, plus many of Disney's 1980s/1990s animated series) that were conceived and story-written here in the U.S., but all animation production was done in either France or (mostly) Japan, animation handled mainly by TMS, Toei and Topcraft (Studio Ghibli grew out of remnants from Topcraft).  Eventually by the mid 1990s, Japan got too expensive, so now most productions (like the Simpsons) are done in S. Korea.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Chris Brady

I did not like FY for two reasons.  The way it bounced emotionally was incredibly jarring and when you have a hilarious scene (which there was plenty of) and then counterbalance it almost immediately with a horribly tragedy, I felt guilt for laughing.  It's not a pleasant experience for me.  The next involves a spoiler that I am not sure I should go into.

For the record, the Dubbing issue for me, is like I stated a purely technical one.  It's all about lip syncing and content alteration.  Two things I disagree with.  However, one of my favourite Shoujo Manga (Man I feel like a deviant, 38 and I like girly comics...  ;D ) is Full Moon Wo Sagashite.  I also loved the Manga and the first season of Fruits Basket.  It even ended in the way I hoped!  I'm currently watching Ergo Proxy, and liking it.

Haruki

Well, can't fault them for trying.  ADR is different than the way it's usually done here in the U.S.  Shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and others are done in a way where voiceovers are recorded first, then those tapes are sent to the animation studios for them to sync up the lip-movement with during the production process.

Anime (both in Japan and Stateside) are done the ADR method.....animation is done first, then the voices are synced up (as best as possible) to the random mouth movements, which have to be timed just right from the first open of the mouth to the last time it shuts.  Of course, you probably already know about this, since your issues with dubs in general are on the technical side.  The trouble therein is that in translation, they lengthen or shorten phrases and sentences depending on how much time they have.

Alas, liberties like that draw the ire of die-hard fans.  Especially when you have a bad translator and (worse), a bad script-adaption person, and (worse still), a bad director behind the mixing desk with no sense of timing.

They try, but I do understand where you're coming from on a technical level.  In fixing audio to a long out-of-print anime I got online.....one of the episodes had relatively poor audio, I ripped the audio track, cleaned, de-clicked and removed what hiss I could (remastering), then had to mute the original audio track and replace it with my newly cleaned splice to the original animation.....I got a little dose of what is involved in ADR.  It's, to be blunt, a pain.  I lucked out and timed the splice just right my first try, encoded the file, and voila.

As for Fushigi Yuugi's way with melodrama switching in a jarring fashion to comedic bits (and in somewhat annoying 'super deformed' mode), I can understand that too.  Then again, it was an anime very much aimed at young teen girls back when it took to air in 1995-1996 overseas.  There 'are' better and more serious-leveled drama of the shoujo bent.  FY is not one of those.  I still like it, but it's probably moreso now on a nostalgic level.  It wouldn't be something I'd highly recommend this day in age.  Back then, probably would have since there wasn't as much out there in the marketplace (on home video or if you include today's technology, streaming).
=====
My Introduction
=====

Caeli

Hey, no hate for dubs here - I simply expressed my own preferences and my reasons for that preference. I torrented and downloaded my anime when I was actively into anime, and a lot of the time, I simply became a fan before it was ever licensed (if it was even licensed) in the States. I know there are some good dubs out there, but I don't need dubs, so I just don't bother with them. I already have a very basic grasp of the Japanese language, also, and once I refamiliarize myself with the language and become fluent, I hope to not even need English subtitles.

I definitely agree that my preference for strong female protagonists is what turns me off of a lot of the most popular romance/shoujo titles, as well as many of the popular Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, and Korean television dramas. I simply don't find whimpery, whiny, doormat-like, ditzy, or airheaded interesting, attractive, or fun to watch. There's a whole other discussion behind the Asian tendency towards "cutesy" females in many romantic comedies or romantic dramas, though.

Anyway, I really need to catch up on some anime that I haven't finished, and even though I'm not as active as I used to be, I still do a lot of hunting for great new scanlations and series.

Almost forgot! Another series I enjoyed: Code Geass (haven't watched the second season). Fantastic, and kept me on my toes. I'm not always into shows with such an anti-hero, but I found myself really connecting with some of the other characters.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

SinXAzgard21

I've been a anime for the longest time, I don't even remember my first anime.  I could go into more depth but I'm a bit tipsy from the wine.... So I'll list a few.

Saiyuki
Fushigi Yugi
Wolf's Rain
Witch Hunter Robin
X
Tokyo Babylon
Hell Gril
Noir
Noein
R.O.D.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Caeli

Ooh. Yes. Witch Hunter Robin! Another old, old favorite. I've rewatched it a couple of times, and really enjoyed the animation and the artwork for that particular anime. At the time, it seemed very non-typical (to me), since a lot of my usual fare was the shoujo-big-eyes sort of look.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Haruki

@ Caeli:  No hate from me for subs either.  I just stated my prefs and the reasons for them.

I also don't mean to sound like a frustrated 'grumpy old man' (i'm not even old either) when it comes to anime.  I can handle others' opinions and preferences, though "I" need to understand and just deal with the fact that the deeper I get into anime, the less people within the fandom will be into dubs, mainly because they got into the deeper titles via fansubs, which are obviously subtitle-only.  Always has been the case even in the days of VHS tape trading in the 1990s.

Also of which, out of those 'niche' anime, probably only 20% or so get licensed.  The rest are way too niche and could never be marketed properly Stateside.

One thing I'm sure we can both agree to though, Caeli, no matter how we each enjoy anime......it's DAMN FRIGGING TOUGH to find anything real good in the anime (and for you, extending into live-action dramas) that has a strong female lead in the story.  Ugh!  This is probably where Western storytelling does a bit better, but not by much.  It seems the only strong females in Western storytelling are from the various 'superhero' franchises and whatnot, of which I'm not into at all.  I'm more a high fantasy fanatic, not so much a sci-fi person.  Though maybe I need to go searching a bit harder.  I don't know.  I'm seriously getting back into reading novels thanks to owning a Kindle, so suggestions of where to start could help immensely.

Either way, it's like this.

Japan = Airhead, ditzy, girls
U.S. (Can't speak for other areas of the world) = Girls who flaunt it all and just act like real losers, the likes of which seen on most "scripted reality" TV.

Both nations have what I like to affectionately call "pandering trash".

(A quick off-topic aside:  The lack of strong females in anime may explain (to me, YMMV) why not many females enjoy playing 'canon' females from any anime, especially when we get a bit older, instead playing males or making up their own OCs.  I'm trying to appease all fronts with a current request / interest check thread on-site by opening up to more male or OC possiblities.  There are some though, where my stubborn-ass self rears its head and I just can't seem to yank a romantically involved pair apart.  Anime has its crappy male protagonists as well, but they seem to be fewer in number.  Oh wait.....yaoi......the badly written yaoi.....doormat subby males.)
=====
My Introduction
=====

Jag

Quote from: Koibito on January 22, 2012, 09:02:18 PM
So is anyone old enough and or obscure enough to be a fan of Saint Seiya?

I wouldn't call Saint Seiya all that obscure. It did have a short run on Cartoon Network and I've seen quite a bit of it. I also know, offline, many fans of it. I thought it was enjoyable.

Haibane

Haruki, I can think of several anime with interesting female characters, some of which might not be strong in a traditional sense but none of which are weak or moe-like.

Evangelion (there are at least four good strong female characters there), Haruhi Suzumiya, Bakemonogatari, Onegai Teacher, Read or Die, Beck, Elfen Leid (in some ways), Hana-Saku Iroha, Ano Hana, High School of the Dead, Kashimashi, Lovely Complex, Ghost in the Shell, Steins: Gate, Haibane Renmei, Kare Kano.

And these from just the ones I've watched, which isn't many.

Almost all of Ghibli's girls are extremely strong characters, stronger than the males they face or team up with in some cases.

I love the moe girls as well, and classics like Mikuru Asahina from Haruhi are adorable, but only if they're not the main character. K-ON! for example I found somewhat dull after the fun of the first couple of episodes had worn off, mostly due to the improbable storyline and the amount of time the series spent focussing on the girls clowing about and eating cake and drinking tea and almost none of practicing!

Unfortunately moe is extremely popular right now so we'll be seeing a good deal more of it.

Chris Brady

Most Tsundere lead females are also pretty strong females.  They also tend to be fan favourites, because they're more independent than your usual Yamato Nadesico lead.

Haruki

Hmm, I happen to have some of those series you list.  The rest haven't been released on DVD yet, though they may be out there in online streaming form.  Those I do have already are:

Evangelion, Haruhi Suzumiya, Onegai Teacher, Beck, Haibane Renmei, Kare Kano, and most of the Ghibli stuff. (I don't have anything recent past Howl's Moving Castle).

Those along with the few I usually list / think of with strong females......Saiunkoku, Twelve Kingdoms (esp. during the 3rd story arc), Moribito, and I'm sure a couple more, but I forgot.

Heh, guess I do have quite a few here as it is.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Haibane

I even sent you a PM a couple of days ago offering an RP... no reply yet.

Interested?

;)

Caeli

I'd actually been recommend Twelve Kingdoms more than once but never had the opportunity to find and download it. Now that I have infinite amounts of free time at hand, maybe I'll give it a try. :)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Haruki

Well here's another recommendation from me.

Go watch Twelve Kingdoms.....now!  ^_~  Try to give it a chance too, because the first 5 episodes seemingly start out a bit like a typical anime with a somewhat 'whiny' female lead.  Wait for it though, and just watch.  She'll have the 'whiny' knocked right out of her in a hurry once she finds out what she must do and what her purpose is, all told through a near-death experience and a battle with her inner self / mind.

I will not spoil the details.

There is really no 'lead' character per-se.  There's several storylines that go on throughout the course of the series, with their respective characters crossing paths at several points.

Trust me, you're in for a treat with that series.  I watched it 6 times over a 2 year span (2006-2007)

Haibane:  I'm interested, I'm just trying to catch up, I'll get around to ya today yet.  Patience, m'lady.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Miyu

My first anime believe it or not was Naruto. I mean first anime because that was the first series I actually saw in Japanese with English subs. I remember that my entire group of friends got hooked and we did a entire 24 hour Naruto marathon. After that I began watching MaiHime and got hooked as well with it, I truly loved that anime. I started Bleach not soon after and then started reading manga. So far I am always watching for good anime to look for and have a good time with it.

Haruki

Miyu:  So any anime you may have watched in English beforehand you don't count as 'anime'? :P

======

Then again it does depend on when one got into anime in the first place.  Understandably by the mid-2000s onwards to present day, most who graduate from the likes of CN's airings of Bebop, Inuyasha and others,  pretty much only follow anime online, as such, sub-only.  Dubs?  What are those?

Those like myself got into it back in the mid/late 1990s.  Dub-format VHS was all the rental places (Hollywood, Blockbuster, etc) carried, and stores like Suncoast didn't get heavy selections of anime until 1999-2000, which by then DVD was becoming the format and therein, you had a choice of flavors...English dub, or Japanese w/ subs.  As for TV, no different than today with Nickelodeon carrying DBZ Kai and the like as it was with early-morning (6AM) syndication.  It's always going to be in dub format.

I didn't choose to watch anime in dubs out of choice though, even if it was all we really had back in those days.  Instead for me, it was (and still is) more out of necessity.  Of course, I was thankful for this because I've always struggled with reading text due to my sight.

It's not the font size on DVD / Bluray that makes subs hard for me to read.  It's the horrible contrast.....yellow on brightly colored (I don't watch a lot of anime with more muted tones or darker colors) backgrounds with thin black outline do not make for an easy / comfortable reading level.  Understandably, due to the DVD / BluRay consortium's 'standards' that have been set for all studios to follow, none of those aspects can be changed.

I think I'm the only anime fan online who exclusively watches anime in dub format.  Moments like this make me wish sometimes I didn't have the circumstances I have.  I feel like, because I watch anime with the English track on (because subtitles are hard for me to read), that I'm less of a 'fan'.

Alas, I do, and as such affect the way I need to watch to get 100% enjoyment of a series.  Trouble is, there's just so much ridicule and disgust towards them (or maybe just a complete misunderstanding because most people watch anime exclusively online now, which is always sub-only), that it's made me hesitant to join full-fledged anime discussion forums, never mind a simple topic thread here.

It's ultimately what made me choose not long ago to just ignore the fandom and be my own fan.  Though it can be a bit of a lonely world because therein I have no one to discuss things.  I feel as though I won't be taken seriously within the online fanbase.

Most 'casual' fans only watch Naruto, DBZ or other things that aired on CN, and never venture beyond into stuff only streamed online and/or released to DVD.

I have watched many beyond the 'staples' of anime out there than the casual fans, and got started long before they did in 1996 (Dragon Ball, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Samurai Pizza Cats, etc)

Yet, I watch them in dubbed format, save for one exception.....Cardcaptor Sakura.

Heh, what gives?  *shrugs*  I guess I really am in the minority.  I can deal with that.

(PS: I mean not to ruffle feathers or anything.  Dub vs Sub arguments are worthless and haven't ended pretty where I've witnessed them online.  I just want to feel like I'm into anime just as much as many others who aren't just into what airs on TV, and not just a 'casual' fan because of a necessity.)
=====
My Introduction
=====

SinXAzgard21

I don't like dub anime but if I can't find it in subs I'll take what I can get.

Tiaan

*jumps in* I like anime too : ) since I was a wee girl, back when they sold stuff like Urotsukidoji in HMV and mothers would buy it for their kids disregarding the '18' rating since 'its just a cartoon, how bad could it be!' At least my mother did that for me... I got quite a shock when I watched it!

Someone mentioned Princess Tutu a while back, I loved that one... and actually really enjoyed the dubbed version, since Luci Christian, who voiced the lead, has such a lovely voice (same as School Rumble which I watched in dub because of her).

At the moment I am into the remake of Hunter x Hunter; which if I'd seen the artwork or had known anything it before I would probably have skipped it, not my usual choice at all! But I've been so pleasantly surprised by the quirky all male cast. Really fun series! I can highly recommend it.

Anyway! Hi everyone : )

Koibito

Quote from: Haruki on January 22, 2012, 09:53:31 PM
I can only speak for myself of course.

I don't think St. Seiya got big here in the U.S.  It was Dragon Ball Z (DBZ) that most people got attached to here from what I remember.  DBZ was massively huge, anime chatrooms were full of younger fans going on and on after each day's episode commenced.  Yes, it was that huge, and whilst its fanbase has shrunk with people getting older, it still does have its devotees.

I do recall reading online though, that around many parts of the rest of the world outside Japan and the U.S. / Canada, St. Seiya was 'the big action anime' to get popular in the 1990s, especially in Mexico and other regions of Latin / S. America.

I'm old enough to remember all the series of the 1980s (The Littles, Heathcliff, GI Joe, etc, plus many of Disney's 1980s/1990s animated series) that were conceived and story-written here in the U.S., but all animation production was done in either France or (mostly) Japan, animation handled mainly by TMS, Toei and Topcraft (Studio Ghibli grew out of remnants from Topcraft).  Eventually by the mid 1990s, Japan got too expensive, so now most productions (like the Simpsons) are done in S. Korea.

Yeah, but it did gain an audience of some proportion. It was alongside DBZ as far as popularity, but where DBZ excelled to become the #1 world's most popular Manga. Saint Seiya shrunk to obscurity becoming popular among certain groups. Shockingly enough, it may even continue soon. The sequel series has been on hiatus for about a decade now and the writer has had interviews on it with plans for it to continue. That plus the fact that merchandise is coming out quite a bit recently (new figures and even a PS3 game) shows that the popularity could come back soon. It's in the same vein as One Piece where it was a hit yet 4kids killed U.S. popularity before it bounced back and is currently thriving. It'd be pretty neat if something as obscure and old as Saint Seiya made a comeback, plus the manga is pretty great in my opinion.

Haruki

Quote from: Tiaan on January 23, 2012, 04:40:30 PM

Someone mentioned Princess Tutu a while back, I loved that one... and actually really enjoyed the dubbed version, since Luci Christian, who voiced the lead, has such a lovely voice (same as School Rumble which I watched in dub because of her).

I'm not sure what all got released out of ADV/Sentai's titles over there in England, but if you want more of her, she is in many dubs that were done under that umbrella.  I forget exactly what anime titles though.

She's been in the dubbing gig for a long while now.

I could rattle off a bunch of names from past and current studios that I've enjoyed hearing.  They've given their voices over to some of my most favorite anime and their characters.

Quote from: Koibito on January 23, 2012, 04:47:30 PM
Yeah, but it did gain an audience of some proportion. It was alongside DBZ as far as popularity, but where DBZ excelled to become the #1 world's most popular Manga. Saint Seiya shrunk to obscurity becoming popular among certain groups. Shockingly enough, it may even continue soon. The sequel series has been on hiatus for about a decade now and the writer has had interviews on it with plans for it to continue. That plus the fact that merchandise is coming out quite a bit recently (new figures and even a PS3 game) shows that the popularity could come back soon. It's in the same vein as One Piece where it was a hit yet 4kids killed U.S. popularity before it bounced back and is currently thriving. It'd be pretty neat if something as obscure and old as Saint Seiya made a comeback, plus the manga is pretty great in my opinion.

4Kids used people who did dubs for The Slayers, Lodoss War and the like.  The VAs weren't the problem for their releases (lots of folks like to trash 4Kids' dubs).  The problem were in the script-writers and the higher-ups (*cough* Al Khan *cough*) who were going after the absolute WRONG titles....maybe sans Pokemon, to attempt tailoring for a younger audience and going up against the censors.

For those reasons to me, they were easily one of those companies that's absurdly easy to mock.

Of course, they've been seriously knocked down a few pegs (mostly in financial terms), finally getting that CEO named above to resign his post and a refocusing of goals.  I guess they're doing their own productions now and going to outside sources (like Funimation) to get anime (like a 'watered down' version of DBZ Kai....done by Funimation themselves, not 4Kids) to air on their block on the CW network.

Not entirely sure, and not inclined to look into it.  Last 4Kids title I bothered with was Yu-Gi-Oh!  Had familiar VAs who I KNOW could put out a decent dub.  TOO many liberties taken with the scripts though, giving the series a laughable excuse of a dub track that turned its pre-built fanbase away.

Hopefully they're not eying up a possible St. Seiya reboot.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Tiaan

Sure, please give me some names of some shows!

I like Vic Mignoga too, his voice really gives me tingles sometimes. It has to be a really good show for me to watch it in English though, in my opinion the rest of the cast never seem to match up to the talent of those two (and one or two others) and wind up sounding a bit generic and cheesy. I also saw Super Gals with Luci, that was pretty fun but again the rest of the voice acting sucked.

Haruki

Tiaan, maybe these will help.  They're filmographies (or...should that be anime dub'ographies) for both VAs.

Luci Christian
Vic Mignogna

And I just picked up Clannad too.  Luci plays the major female role in there, Nagisa.  Though that's a slice-of-life drama (based off a visual novel game), so I don't know if you'd be into that or not.

ADV/Sentai and Funimation do quite good casting major characters, but .....I agree with you.  Minor /secondary characters are often given the shaft.....usually less-experienced actors just getting started in doing bit parts and such are given those roles.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Tiaan

Thanks Haruki. I have watched Clannad in Japanese, didn't know Luci was voicing the English version! Oh well! I didn't find it so good that I'd want to rewatch it, despite a lot of people recommending it. Well, it was good, but not as memorable as a lot of others.

I'll watch most genres of anime, they all have series' that resonate with me. In general I tend to avoid the mecha stuff, despite having seen some really good ones of those too, and the really generic overly fanservice ones *yawns* fanservice can be fun, but not all the time!

Caeli

The constant fan-service (and actually, the main male character) in Love Hina was one reason that I actually got turned off of the manga/anime. It was interesting and cute at first, but after the 20th time, I got a little bored with the lack of substance.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Tiaan

It can add some humour, like in Haruhi Suzumiya, with Mikuru and the constant forcing her to wear costumes but you get those series where there really is just nothing but fanservice, just some vague plot that's feels like it's been pulled out of a 'DIY anime script' book or something. Can usually spot those a mile off though.

Don't know if it's ever put me off an otherwise good series though (not that I've seen Love Hina so I don't know if it's good!).

Did anyone watch Highscool of the Dead? That was so packed full of the most blatant fanservice, all the way through but somehow it was still really good.

Haibane

Quote from: Haruki on January 23, 2012, 03:50:58 PMI think I'm the only anime fan online who exclusively watches anime in dub format.
I think you may be exaggerating there a little ;)

Quote from: Tiaan on January 23, 2012, 06:09:07 PM
Did anyone watch Highscool of the Dead? That was so packed full of the most blatant fanservice, all the way through but somehow it was still really good.
I enjoyed it. In fact a twisted part of me enjoyed it more because so many people slated it for the fanservice. The boobs and bums and panties aside, I thought it was a great story and would make a great RP.

Haruki

Quote from: Caeli on January 23, 2012, 06:03:53 PM
The constant fan-service (and actually, the main male character) in Love Hina was one reason that I actually got turned off of the manga/anime. It was interesting and cute at first, but after the 20th time, I got a little bored with the lack of substance.

And to think, 10 years ago, Love Hina was literally all the rage online.

Guess all those folks who got into it wised up and found better anime.

A better, more realistic anime that is set in an apartment building is Maison Ikkou, which Ken Akamatsu (creator of Love Hina) cited as some 'inspiration' for his work.

MI is many times over, better than Love Hina.

Tiaan, like you, I'm also sure there's quite good mecha series out there, some that feature other elements I like. (political bickering, romance, drama), but the whole 'fighting in giant robots that could take out the entire solar system' thing just never does it for me.  I never was (nor still am) one into sci-fi 'anything'.

It's why I'm sure I'm the only lowly sap who's not touched the Star Wars franchise yet, with no intents or reasons to do so.  Sure, it's a groundbreaking, sweeping series of movies, especially EPs IV, V and VI, but 'the final frontiers' of the universe.....yeah.

Now give me a time machine to take me back to the medieval days or some means to hop into a fictionalized setting like that of Middle Earth, or the worlds told of in anime like Fushigi Yuugi, Saiunkoku or Twelve Kingdoms.....mmmh,  That stuff makes me get all fanboy crazy.  ^_~

Quote from: Haibane on January 23, 2012, 06:11:06 PM
I think you may be exaggerating there a little ;)

Mayhaps I am.  I need to remind myself, not every anime fan in this world is online, be it a forum or Facebook or whatever else medium there is.  Some choose to keep their love of anime 'in the closet', so to speak.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Caeli

I actually started off with Maison Ikkoku (the manga), and didn't really enjoy it.

As for fandoms - I was never really into being a part of "fandoms". I enjoy my anime, love it and love to talk about it, but I generally chat about it with friends, rather than going all gung-ho online and duking it out with other fans.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Faustus

Quote from: Tiaan on January 23, 2012, 05:07:46 PM
I like Vic Mignoga too, his voice really gives me tingles sometimes. It has to be a really good show for me to watch it in English though, in my opinion the rest of the cast never seem to match up to the talent of those two (and one or two others) and wind up sounding a bit generic and cheesy. I also saw Super Gals with Luci, that was pretty fun but again the rest of the voice acting sucked.

Vic is a pretty decent VA, though he has been terribly type-casted since obtaining his role as Edward Elric. Sadly, I have beef with the man himself. . . It's a shame, really, that such problems appeared, but! Beef with him aside, he does a pretty nice job with his acting.

Quote from: Haruki on January 23, 2012, 05:48:34 PM
Tiaan, maybe these will help.  They're filmographies (or...should that be anime dub'ographies) for both VAs.

Luci Christian
Vic Mignogna

And I just picked up Clannad too.  Luci plays the major female role in there, Nagisa.  Though that's a slice-of-life drama (based off a visual novel game), so I don't know if you'd be into that or not.

ADV/Sentai and Funimation do quite good casting major characters, but .....I agree with you.  Minor /secondary characters are often given the shaft.....usually less-experienced actors just getting started in doing bit parts and such are given those roles.
Oh, why hello there, Luci. She's another VA that I'm fond of, though sometimes she get's picked for roles that I hadn't expected for her voice-type! Until I looked at her filmography, I was totally unaware that she was playing Hungary in the Dub of Axis Powers Hetalia. Geeze, and I own all of that and still didn't notice.

There is some truth behind the major casting doing well, while secondary are given to the less experienced - However, we do that in natural theatre as well. The chances of a new-into-the-business individual earning the lead spot is pretty low : You had to have really impressed us with your audition. But we stick them in the secondary roles so they have longer to adjust. It's terrible to throw someone new into it, because of everything they have to learn, and the stress that comes with it.

Voice acting is similar (it's just another form of theatre, really!), so I can understand their reasons for that.

Quote from: Haruki on January 23, 2012, 06:32:07 PM
[. . .] It's why I'm sure I'm the only lowly sap who's not touched the Star Wars franchise yet, with no intents or reasons to do so.  Sure, it's a groundbreaking, sweeping series of movies, especially EPs IV, V and VI, but 'the final frontiers' of the universe.....yeah. [. . .]
Nope! I have yet to even watch a single one of the films all the way through. Mind, part of that is related to being raised in a Trekkie household and having it forbidden here, but the other part comes from when I tried to watch it. . . I became so bored by it that I turned the film off.  :-(

Haruki

Quote from: Caeli on January 23, 2012, 06:52:08 PM
I actually started off with Maison Ikkoku (the manga), and didn't really enjoy it.

As for fandoms - I was never really into being a part of "fandoms". I enjoy my anime, love it and love to talk about it, but I generally chat about it with friends, rather than going all gung-ho online and duking it out with other fans.

Well, Maison Ikkoku was put out in a different time....early/mid 1980s, and is also (with Urusei Yatsura) one of Rumiko Takahashi's earlier works before she honed in on her style and obviously hit it out of the park with Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha, both which are now cited often as favorites....the former with those who started out in anime back in the 1990s, and the latter with the newer generation introduced to anime by Cartoon Network and other means.

Consider yourself lucky.  I know no one in my area....which is mostly a semi-rural farming region, nearest cities of 50,000+ to my north and 30,000+ to my south are not very artsy (esp. liberal arts, where anime sorta kinda falls into.....it 'does' count as foreign film in some circles), the people around here are kinda cheap/lives within means, and there is no big college or convention scene to help push anime along a bit more.  As such, there's no one my age who's into anime 'to' talk about it with.  Thus why I have to subject myself to the online sorts.

Not that all folks online are terrible.  This thread is example of it.  I state my preferences in what I watch and how I watch anime, the little rants and raves towards series and characters, and my own personal histories of anime.  I read out others' opinions, understanding and respectful of them.

I do not care for the other online fallacies......the sub/dub wars, the fangirling/boying ('claiming' characters), and other such foolishness.

Quote from: Faustus on January 23, 2012, 07:23:05 PM
Vic is a pretty decent VA, though he has been terribly type-casted since obtaining his role as Edward Elric. Sadly, I have beef with the man himself. . . It's a shame, really, that such problems appeared, but! Beef with him aside, he does a pretty nice job with his acting.

It'll happen.  It happens with Hollywood too though, so it's all kind of the same.  It does drive me a little nuts too though, considering if one looks at just those two profiles and respective filmographies alone, they've VA'ed in many different varying roles.

The typecasting is a fandom thing, and yes, it drives me batty to no end.

QuoteOh, why hello there, Luci. She's another VA that I'm fond of, though sometimes she get's picked for roles that I hadn't expected for her voice-type! Until I looked at her filmography, I was totally unaware that she was playing Hungary in the Dub of Axis Powers Hetalia. Geeze, and I own all of that and still didn't notice.

And THAT my friend, makes a good VA.  Versatile and able to tweak vocal tone and the like to the point where you can't tell who it is.

Sadly there are few like that.  It's too bad the LA scene doesn't get much work for anime anymore because the studios that used those actors (Geneon, Media Blasters and the now-defunct Bandai) have all curtailed dubs to a nimimal amount, or are (in Geneon's and Bandai's cases) out of the business entirely.  Some of the LA voice talent did some of the best dubs in anime back in the early-mid 2000s.

Quote(stuff related to theatre acting and voice acting)

Makes perfect sense.  ^^

QuoteNope! I have yet to even watch a single one of the films all the way through. Mind, part of that is related to being raised in a Trekkie household and having it forbidden here, but the other part comes from when I tried to watch it. . . I became so bored by it that I turned the film off.  :-(

Glad to know I'm not alone in that camp.

Star Trek was actually something I did attempt to get into back in the early 1990s, starting with the Original Series and on into TNG.  I don't know what happened along the way.  What I did watch though I did actually enjoy a bit, though my recollection of the episodes i seen is pretty much nil nowadays.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Caeli

Quote from: Haruki on January 23, 2012, 08:00:37 PMConsider yourself lucky.  I know no one in my area....which is mostly a semi-rural farming region, nearest cities of 50,000+ to my north and 30,000+ to my south are not very artsy (esp. liberal arts, where anime sorta kinda falls into.....it 'does' count as foreign film in some circles), the people around here are kinda cheap/lives within means, and there is no big college or convention scene to help push anime along a bit more.  As such, there's no one my age who's into anime 'to' talk about it with.  Thus why I have to subject myself to the online sorts.

I have very few friends that I know from RL and school who are into the genres of manga and anime that I tend to enjoy, actually - all of the people who I know enjoy anime, usually only dabble in the popular fare like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. One of them does really enjoy all things Japanese (including anime), but again, he mostly picks up the popular stuff, not any of the obscure titles or shojo titles I tend to find exciting and fun.

All of the people who I do talk shop with are friends that I originally met online, and who I subsequently met in RL and now enjoy a close friendship with. :) That was purely luck, though, that we shared many interests in addition to anime, and are so close in age.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Chris Brady

For the record, I have no issues against anyone who likes Dubs.  It's a personal choice, and I respect that.  Although to the guy who preferred Dubs to Subs, because it was 'funnier', I no longer will talk with you.  Ever.

Caeli

You know, it would be really cool if we could establish some kind of... anime club-esque group here. You know, we pick one anime (or manga) to watch (or read), and then discuss it at intervals. It's been a long time since I've picked apart anime with anyone because it's more of a niche hobby, especially once you get past the popular and big-time series.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Chris Brady

That would be kind of cool.

Haruki

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 23, 2012, 10:37:17 PM
For the record, I have no issues against anyone who likes Dubs.  It's a personal choice, and I respect that.  Although to the guy who preferred Dubs to Subs, because it was 'funnier', I no longer will talk with you.  Ever.

'Funny' is a subjective thing.

The only dubs I find funny are those that are truly, laughably bad.

Caeli:  I rather like that idea too.  :)  I'm not sure what I'll be able to do about some of the things I don't own, but I'll do what I must to track them down.  For those I do know and own (thus have easy access to), I'd be happy to join in with commentary and such.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Faustus

I second the club-esque thing whole-heartedly! I'll be very apt and able to watch and commentate on series as of... Oh, God, next Wednesday. Wow, that date sneaking up on me made me have a pit-fall....

Anyway : Yep, totally on that! Thankfully, many series are available online, though most are fansubbed (Haruki - Is there a way to assist you with the issues involving subtitles? I feel for you on that, as the dubbed versions are nigh-on impossible to come across without shelling out the money for it : something I don't normally mind, but surviving on a college kids funds make it...eh...)

SinXAzgard21

So... University of the Dead RP? (instead of High School of the Dead.)  -looks around and whistles-

Haruki

Quote from: Faustus on January 24, 2012, 02:09:34 AM
I second the club-esque thing whole-heartedly! I'll be very apt and able to watch and commentate on series as of... Oh, God, next Wednesday. Wow, that date sneaking up on me made me have a pit-fall....

Anyway : Yep, totally on that! Thankfully, many series are available online, though most are fansubbed (Haruki - Is there a way to assist you with the issues involving subtitles? I feel for you on that, as the dubbed versions are nigh-on impossible to come across without shelling out the money for it : something I don't normally mind, but surviving on a college kids funds make it...eh...)

Well, computer monitors are more highly customizable than a TV.  Higher contrasts/sharpness levels, color/depth, along with changing the screen resolution.  Since subtitles are going to be a part of the slideshows / video compilation projects I'd be doing for family / friends (for my new line of work), and I've been working with those in my first project, they should be no issue for me in this instance.

Yeah, unfortunately, dubs are only available either through buying the physical media usually.  The absolute newest series being broadcast online (via Crunchyroll, NicoNico, etc) as I understand, are sub-only, and companies like Funimation offer few dubs online.....and in that, those are usually series people aren't following anymore, are not the sorts of series the 'die hard' fans want (they tend to only license action, 'harem' and more high-profile works...not 'slice of life', shoujo/josei, and comedy like ToraDora, Oreimo, K-on! and others that have run in the past year or so...those going to other companies instead who only put out limited sub-only pressings of discs), or are limited in ep count (usually the first 4 eps or so).  The reason for that is monetary, obviously....dubs cost $$$, and they make that through DVD / BluRay sales.

Anime is one of those very fast-paced hobbies to follow.  It's killed me countless times in the RPing realm when there's a series I watch, I want to play canon or make an OC to fit the setting, but when I take it online, no one is willing because they've all moved on to the next big title.  Of course though, that's just a side thing...I wouldn't be watching these series to play off, I'd be doing so to comment on them.

Now if it happened where a title came up that I do have on hand already in disc form and it has a dub, I can just cue that up on my DVD player right here on my PC and play back in English.  While I suppose those will be few and far between, as we'll want to probably focus on newer titles rather than 'legacy' titles, there's still some older things that may be found out there and watched.

Wednesdays hmm?  That could work.  Middle of the week, not much going on for many folks (unless they're already busy as it is anyhow throughout the whole week), but it just feels like a good time.  I know for sure I have nothing going on those days.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Aiden

-checks in and raises hand-

I consider myself a moderate fan, some series I really like. My favorites being Initial D (The very first Anime I ever saw), GTO and Berserk.

The ones I am currently following is Beezlebub, funniest Anime I have seen in a long time.
BEELZEBUB Opening 1 HD

The basic story, a baby demon is sent from his father (the demon lord) to earth to be raised by a human parent. The parent being a delinquent who the baby bonds to and he tries to pawn the baby on someone else to raise.

Lots of demons, fighting and funny baby moments. (Ohh and maids)

Tiaan

Quote from: Caeli on January 23, 2012, 11:10:37 PM
You know, it would be really cool if we could establish some kind of... anime club-esque group here. You know, we pick one anime (or manga) to watch (or read), and then discuss it at intervals. It's been a long time since I've picked apart anime with anyone because it's more of a niche hobby, especially once you get past the popular and big-time series.

Yea! This is a great idea! Any ideas which series we could talk about? The winter 2012 season is only a few episodes in, up to about episode 3 or 4 for most new shows. There hasn't been anything that's really jumped out at me yet, like Steins Gate did a few months ago but it's still early. Nisemonogatari might turn out to be interesting (it's the follow up to Bakemonogatari which was pretty special, and unique).

Or we could pick an older series that we haven't seen and watch an episode a week.

Haibane

Quote from: Caeli on January 23, 2012, 11:10:37 PM
I'd be up for this. We have tried this in another anime forum I frequent and what we found there was that the anime we discussed should be SHORT, and by that I mean only a half-season (up to 13 eps) or a season (26 eps) as interest and comments dried up when we tried our first series of 52 eps and even a 26 ep series proved troublesome.

I'd therefore recommend, as our first discussion project, something about 13 episodes long, or a manga that's not too long and freely available on one of the more well know sites like manga fox.

What we discuss need not be current, or airing now (though it would be fun if we could find something current) but we could discuss something of a few years ago - at least we could try to agree on a series we know well that we won't lose interest in part-way through.

For me to hold my interest it'd need to hover around the slice of life/high school/romance/shoujo-ai/interpersonal relations type area. It can have elements of darkness (Paranoia Agent anyone?) or craziness (Fooly Cooly) but I'd struggle to keep interested in something with mosters, big swords and magical girls.

Tiaan - Nisemonogatari sounds like it might be a good choice!

Tiaan

Could also pick Bakemonogatari, since Nise~ is a kind of sequel and its better if you know the story so far. Bake~ is only about 8 or so eps (I think), the last few were 'web stream only' broadcasts, but were very popular so they are around online. It's very original, the style of the story flow is very artsy but the story itself is not hard to follow or avante guarde or anything.

But yea~ anything is fine for me; it could be better to watch something outside of the genres I usually watch but better if it's something that stands out as unique or deep with interesting art or some other quality. If you get me~

Haibane

Bakemonogatari was 12 episodes on TV and 3 more streamed from their website. I haven't watched the final 3 eps so that would be nice new material for me. I'd say it was definitely a story that could generate some interesting discussion.

Caeli

That's a great suggestion, Haibane, about keeping the series short so as to retain interest. I also think that anything we watch doesn't necessarily have to be currently airing - there are a lot of older series that I never watched for whatever reason, and something like this (an anime club - we should come up with a more interesting name!) would give me an opportunity to get to those series and give them a try.

I read through a synopsis of Bakemonogatari, and could definitely get behind watching that for our trial of this activity. I would also like to suggest Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei (which I never got a chance to finish), Durarara!! (which was recommended to me), or even films like 5 Centimeters Per Second, which I hear is amazing.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Tiaan

Ah so it was 12. Yea I never watched the last few either, the character of Hanekawa wasn't as interesting as the others, to me. It was such an ace series though I'd happily watch it again.

Durarara!!! Also holds a special place for me, it is very well done and interesting and it's been long enough that I've forgotten a lot of the little details. I'd love to watch it again, with everyone.

I have heard of Sayonara~ but never watched it. Happy to watch that too~

EDIT: I have a feeling Durarara!!! is available in dub version too, seem to remember seeing a release date for it on some site, some time ago.

Haibane

Quote from: Caeli on January 24, 2012, 04:27:06 AM
even films like 5 Centimeters Per Second, which I hear is amazing.
It is, though a little over-sugary. My preference from Shinkai would be The Place Promised in our Early Days which I think is stunning, both visually and as a story. It has its weaknesses too, which adds to the potential discussion material.

But if films are in the discussion list that opens up many great works we could discuss.

A TV series though can be dealt with by episode which makes it a little more interesting, especially if people have thoughts about where the plot is going before they've seen the conclusion.

For a name how about the Elliquiy MAD Group (Manga and Anime Discussion)?

Tiaan

I struggle to make time to watch feature length films, series are better for me since I can't really get the TV to watch anime til about 11 or 12 at night (the others in my house really hate anime >.<). I'll happily watch whatever movies are chosen, since the recommendation will likely be good~ but wouldn't be able to keep up with one a week or anything.

Haibane

Perhaps we could just watch a film occasionally then, maybe alternate one with each series, which would make it a film only every 3 months or so at the most?

Tiaan

Every now and then is fine. I'd like to watch more movies anyway. I'll go along with whatever everyone else wants to do~ this will be really fun ^_^

Jag

A friend and me watched a DBZ marathon on the Spanish channel once. It was funny. Then again, we were drunk. >.>

I also managed to find the newest DBZ 'film' (it was only 33 minutes) online about a week ago. Dragon Ball: Yo! The Return of Son Goku and Friends!! (nice long title, eh?). It was...interesting. It's the first DBZ film released in about 12 years and was made as a 10th anniversary thing for The Path to Power and premiered at the Jump Super Anime Tour in 2008. It's not been licensed for an English language release yet, so if you like DBZ and you prefer subs, it's not that hard to find online. *shrugs*

Quote from: Aiden on January 24, 2012, 03:14:10 AM
-checks in and raises hand-

I consider myself a moderate fan, some series I really like. My favorites being Initial D (The very first Anime I ever saw), GTO and Berserk.

The ones I am currently following is Beezlebub, funniest Anime I have seen in a long time.
BEELZEBUB Opening 1 HD

The basic story, a baby demon is sent from his father (the demon lord) to earth to be raised by a human parent. The parent being a delinquent who the baby bonds to and he tries to pawn the baby on someone else to raise.

Lots of demons, fighting and funny baby moments. (Ohh and maids)

GTO is awesome. *nods*

Faustus

Quote from: Caeli on January 24, 2012, 04:27:06 AM
That's a great suggestion, Haibane, about keeping the series short so as to retain interest. I also think that anything we watch doesn't necessarily have to be currently airing - there are a lot of older series that I never watched for whatever reason, and something like this (an anime club - we should come up with a more interesting name!) would give me an opportunity to get to those series and give them a try.

I read through a synopsis of Bakemonogatari, and could definitely get behind watching that for our trial of this activity. I would also like to suggest Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei (which I never got a chance to finish), Durarara!! (which was recommended to me), or even films like 5 Centimeters Per Second, which I hear is amazing.
Agreed with shorter series, or at least shorter seasons, to make sure that interest is maintained by the group. While I love long anime series as well, these shorter ones are easier to do when it comes to open-forum discussions like this!

Also : I have a very, very deep spot in my heart for Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei. I should, considering that I did one of Nozomu's monologue's for a theatre class I had - I can't recall if this particular rant made it into the animated version or not, but getting to rant and rave about cultured yogurt was the highlight of my Freshman college year, haha! Durarara!! has also been HEAVILY recommended to me to watch, and I'd get behind that pretty quick.

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 24, 2012, 07:35:15 AM
A friend and me watched a DBZ marathon on the Spanish channel once. It was funny. Then again, we were drunk. >.>
. . .I need to do this. I love watching these things in Spanish, for some reason~

Jag

Quote from: Faustus on January 24, 2012, 10:32:37 AM
. . .I need to do this. I love watching these things in Spanish, for some reason~

I don't speak Spanish, I don't understand Spanish...but I was drunk and it was on TV. That is my excuse. *nods* Sad part was that I understood what they were saying, only because I'd seen those episodes so many times that I pretty much had them memorized. :P

Aragem

Chris Brady

Quote from: Haruki on January 23, 2012, 11:19:59 PM
'Funny' is a subjective thing.
I forgot the ;D smiley.  My apologies.  It's something a former acquaintance of mine once said as to why he preferred dubs over subs.  He didn't care about story accuracy, if the joke (as it was comedy anime he much preferred) was in English he'd love it.  Doesn't matter if they switched the entire meaning around.

Drove me nuts.

Haruki

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 24, 2012, 02:44:46 PM
  I forgot the ;D smiley.  My apologies.  It's something a former acquaintance of mine once said as to why he preferred dubs over subs.  He didn't care about story accuracy, if the joke (as it was comedy anime he much preferred) was in English he'd love it.  Doesn't matter if they switched the entire meaning around.

Drove me nuts.

It's okay.  :)

I tend to stay away from comedy anime these days.  They are more often than not, the most butchered when going from Japanese into English....so much is 'lost in translation'.  Japan's views on what is funny, are different from what we view as 'funny', ditto when you compare British comedy to us.  I like their brand of comedy though more than what a majority here in the U.S. feel is 'funny'.  I'd get more into Brit-comedy, but their brand of humor relies on a lot of sarcasm and dry wit, which flies right over my head.

The only comedy titles I dealt with include Samurai Pizza Cats, Ranma 1/2, The Slayers, and Azumanga Daioh!.  The former is a complete re-write (original scripts were not sent with the series to be translated), the middle two take some liberties with a literal translation, and the latter, I could tell they (ADV Films, distributor at the time) were trying hard to stay as close to the original script as possible.  In doing this though, they wound up making booklets with liner notes in the single-release run of DVDs that explain every last pun and joke.  Problem therein, is it that it's all no longer funny.

I explained a couple times why I preference / need dubs over subs (reworked comedy not being a reason..save for a few rare instances, I abhor complete re-written scripts made to bow to the mainstream), but since I'm able to make the needed tweaks with my setup on a monitor / video card that I can't make with a normal TV, I may be able to make things easier for this little anime club/discussion thingy.  If they need to take a few liberties with the script to make sure the lines flow better (rather than sounding like broken English), I'm probably more lax / forgiving than some folks in that area.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Tiaan

QuoteI tend to stay away from comedy anime these days.  They are more often than not, the most butchered when going from Japanese into English.  Japan's views on what is funny, are different from what we view as 'funny', ditto when you compare British comedy to us.  I like their brand of comedy though more than what a majority here in the U.S. feel is 'funny'.  I'd get more into Brit-comedy, but their brand of humor relies on a lot of sarcasm and dry wit, which flies right over my head.

Any English/British shows you like in particular? I've always been fascinated about the differences in American and English humour.

As to anime, in a lot of the gag shows I've seen there is a lot of wordplay involved in the jokes, I'd imagine they don't convert to a dub very well. In something recently there was a joke about a fictional popular anime series that they called 'Dragoso ball', the joke being that the katakana 'so' looks very similar to the katakana 'n' character. Don't know how you'd go about adapting that for an English language version ???

Haruki

Quote from: Tiaan on January 24, 2012, 04:38:47 PM
Any English/British shows you like in particular? I've always been fascinated about the differences in American and English humour.

As to anime, in a lot of the gag shows I've seen there is a lot of wordplay involved in the jokes, I'd imagine they don't convert to a dub very well. In something recently there was a joke about a fictional popular anime series that they called 'Dragoso ball', the joke being that the katakana 'so' looks very similar to the katakana 'n' character. Don't know how you'd go about adapting that for an English language version ???

Oh, no I like American comedy (as I'm obviously from here), but I always lean towards the older stuff when we were in more politically-incorrect times and the jokes weren't all just toilet humor or sexual-based humor like it all is nowadays.  Any shows or movies from the 1960s to the early 1980s in the comedy genre I enjoy greatly.

You're right.  Japan's comedy relies on a lot of wordplay that just doesn't translate.  They use a lot of 'pun' words that have no English equivalent word.  To use an overused example, Naruto's common catch-phrase in the first series, 'dattebayo'.....has no English translation.  It's just part of his speech pattern, like how the common stereotype of Canadians is how they often go 'eh' after some statements / questions.  'Eh' is untranslatable to foreign languages.

We have our own untranslatables....like curse words.  They don't have those.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Tiaan

Dattebayo does have a meaning in English if you take it apart, but it's broken Japanese. desu yo, or da yo kinda means 'right!'; the yo creating an emphasis. teba is used with some verbs other than desu - putting desu (da) and teba yo together is broken and sounds funny to Japanese people, and is his catchphrase! (My explanation is probably pretty lacking since my japanese is weak but some Japanese girls were talking about this exact thing the other day and that's what I remember from their explanation!)

so yea, like you said, can't translate it other than giving him some other catchphrase that would probably end up sounding cheesy~

EDIT: I remembered the thing we were talking about, after a meal you can say gochisosama deshita = gochiso (nice meal) sama (raises politeness level) deshita (it was), then we were talking about how to say it more casually; if you want to make your feelings known strongly that it was a great meal you can say gochiso (sama) teba yo~ the 'teba yo' adding the emphasis. You can't use this with desu (to be) however, which is 'da' in casual form~ hence da teba yo is broken, but funny.

I think I remembered it right...

Haibane

Quote from: Haruki on January 24, 2012, 04:26:23 PM
I tend to stay away from comedy anime these days. They are more often than not, the most butchered when going from Japanese into English....so much is 'lost in translation'. Japan's views on what is funny, are different from what we view as 'funny', ditto when you compare British comedy to us. I like their brand of comedy though more than what a majority here in the U.S. feel is 'funny'. I'd get more into Brit-comedy, but their brand of humor relies on a lot of sarcasm and dry wit, which flies right over my head.
I disagree that Japanese humour is different. What you're probably missing is cultural references, not the actual joke. If you understood what the cultural refrence was, you'd laugh.

Oddly enough, the joke is rarely verbal I find. In my experience a lot that is funny in comedy anime is visual and that has no language to butcher. For example lots of the jokes in AzuDai are visual such as much of what Osaka gets up to. The entire Sakaki and the cat sub-plot is visual. Much of Chiyo-chan's stuff equally. Kaori's crush on Sakaki - all visual. It could almost be a silent movie and it'd still be funny.

Almost all of "My Neighbours the Yamadas" is screamingly, tear-makingly funny, almost all through visuals. I have never laughed so much at any other anime, in fact I was laughing so hard some of the time I was unable to read the subtitles, and still the jokes all worked. All the jokes there are totally universal and are about family life in contemporary urban culture. As true to an American or a European as to a Japanese person.

There's funny slapstick stuff in Fooly Cooly - again, all visual.

They're cartoons - its naturally easy to make them funny in appearance.

One character with genuinely funny lines was Porco Rosso but I think spoken jokes are the exception in anime.

For a language barrier (or more specifically a culture barrier) references to Japanese folklore, mythology, religion and their spirit and ghost world are far more impenetrable. I think a big chunk of the western audience missed much of what was going on in Spirited Away because that drew so much on culture and folklore references.

One thing some fansubs do offer which no DVD translation or subtitle will, is aids to jokes with written notes top of screen. Another reason I love good fansubs - that and their translations are often more faithful than official subtitles on DVDs. You also get all kinds of signs and written notices translated too.

You seem to have this huge hang-up over dubs Haruki, you mention it in nearly every post and you seem to wear it like some stone of pennance around your neck, do please lighten up, it's not *that* important.

Tiaan

QuoteOne thing some fansubs do offer which no DVD translation or subtitle will, is aids to jokes with written notes top of screen. Another reason I love good fansubs - that and their translations are often more faithful than official subtitles on DVDs. You also get all kinds of signs and written notices translated too.

Yes I really agree, the translator notes are awesome, I've learnt so much from them! And having translations for the on screen signs, notes, text messages, etc is really helpful. I think it's not possible to do that with a DVD, since the way the subs are formatted, which is probably why they don't have them (maybe...).

TheRedGuy

Oh, more anime people then I though. *Throws free anime sized weapons into the crowd for all those who can lift them* And I love translators who leave notes. Thanks to them I am starting to get jokes without the explanation slowly, bit at a time. Like Date (Dante) From sket dance who only talks in one word pun/riddle things.

Haruki

Quote from: Haibane on January 24, 2012, 05:49:05 PMYou seem to have this huge hang-up over dubs Haruki, you mention it in nearly every post and you seem to wear it like some stone of pennance around your neck, do please lighten up, it's not *that* important.

It's just a preference of how I watch anime, that's all.  I should have forewarned myself when getting into the hobby that, especially online, it's not going to be the preference for many who have gone beyond the mainstream titles.  I 'did' say in above posts about following subtitled anime with the others on this thread on a weekly basis, that I'm going to make the needed display adjustments to make them easier to read.

Then again, screenshots I've seen that people make from downloads and streams, fansubbers often use non-standard fonts and sizes that change up to reflect the colors onscreen.  Darker bg = lighter font, lighter bg = darker font.

I'm not going to apologize for my preferences, but since most die-hard anime fans raised on anime via the Internet don't watch dubs of modern niche titles (I'm ignoring the long-running shows for a reason.....those are usually split down the middle), and I do, I often feel like I have to prove that modern-day (2001-onwards) dubs, 'all' of them, are not the horrible end results we often got in the '90s.

Unfortunately, it's those horrible examples that the newer generations heard about be it from older siblings or online forums.

I guess what I need is a good smack upside the head instead.  *cowers*  Though I'd much rather prefer to follow this little club-esque thing and ....I guess you can say, bring myself up to date with the rest of the fandom.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Caeli

Nobody here is judging you for watching dubs over subtitles, Haruki, and I'd imagine that for the most part, it's not really going to matter in the grand scheme of things unless we specifically discuss the voice acting or dubbing quality. Story, character, and substance, though? That usually retains the same quality from sub to dub, unless it's a really hideous dub job.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Haibane

*I* wasn't having a go at you Haruki for preferring dubs, I was saying that you continually seem to be having a go at yourself for preferring them. In response to my post you went and did it again. What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter, you don't need to make your choice a rod for your own back and keep telling us that, which is what it seems you're doing, as though its somehow heroic of you to do so.

To be honest I don't care (in a good way) and it doesn't matter!

Moving on... any more thoughts on a suitable series for our first discussion?

Haruki

Quote from: Caeli on January 25, 2012, 01:14:05 AM
Nobody here is judging you for watching dubs over subtitles, Haruki, and I'd imagine that for the most part, it's not really going to matter in the grand scheme of things unless we specifically discuss the voice acting or dubbing quality. Story, character, and substance, though? That usually retains the same quality from sub to dub, unless it's a really hideous dub job.

My thoughts exactly.  At the end of the day, so long as the base elements remain intact, that's all that matters to me.

I apologize if I made it sound as though I thought anyone was judging me.  I try my hardest not to be judgmental of others as I wouldn't like it done to me.  We all have our preferred ways of enjoying things.  The main thing we all have in common in this thread is that we all enjoy anime to some extent....that extent going beyond most other folks who just watch the occasional niche title, otherwise choosing to stick with the big 'hit' titles.

Quote from: Haibane on January 25, 2012, 02:43:49 AM
*I* wasn't having a go at you Haruki for preferring dubs, I was saying that you continually seem to be having a go at yourself for preferring them. In response to my post you went and did it again. What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter, you don't need to make your choice a rod for your own back and keep telling us that, which is what it seems you're doing, as though its somehow heroic of you to do so.

To be honest I don't care (in a good way) and it doesn't matter!

Moving on... any more thoughts on a suitable series for our first discussion?

I misinterpreted what you typed the first time.  Epic failure on my part.

*points to bold text in his reply to Caeli*.  That's what this thread is for.  :)

Anywhoo....yes, moving onwards.  I'd suggest something, but I'm sure someone else is more capable of it, especially if it's going to be something newer.....like from the last year or so.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Tiaan

I think there is a kind of 'collective karma' experienced by those who watch dubbed anime. Some years ago, for various reasons, I had trouble with my eyesight and couldn't read the subtitles quick enough so I watched dubs; people online, on MMO's and forums, gave me a hard time about it. So I understand the feeling and it's natural to want to 'prove your case' on the issue. We can all respect each other here though, so it's of no consequence.

Anyways... what's next for our anime club? For me, any of the three series mentioned before would be good. Durarara!! Bakemonogatari or Sayonara~.

Should we put it to a vote?

Haruki

Quote from: Tiaan on January 25, 2012, 04:57:42 AM
I think there is a kind of 'collective karma' experienced by those who watch dubbed anime. Some years ago, for various reasons, I had trouble with my eyesight and couldn't read the subtitles quick enough so I watched dubs; people online, on MMO's and forums, gave me a hard time about it. So I understand the feeling and it's natural to want to 'prove your case' on the issue. We can all respect each other here though, so it's of no consequence.

Someone who gets it!  You put it in words I wouldn't have thought of.  Thank you.  ^_^  *huggles*

Though let us move onwards.  We're here for one common thing.....we all enjoy and <3 anime.

As for what I'd want to follow first, I'll have to get back on that one.....late and needing to catch Z's.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Haibane

Quote from: Tiaan on January 25, 2012, 04:57:42 AM
Durarara!! Bakemonogatari or Sayonara~.

Should we put it to a vote?
What genre and themes do Durarara!! and Sayonara cover?

Caeli

Durarara!! is listed as action, psychological, romance, and supernatural, and covers themes of "Dullahan, Gangs, and social-networking."

QuoteRyūgamine Mikado is a boy who longs for the exciting life of the big city. At the invitation of his childhood friend Masaomi, he transfers to a school in Ikebukuro. Masaomi has warned him about people he doesn't want to cross in the city: a champion fighter, an informant, and a mysterious gang called "Dollars." Nervous from Masaomi's stories, Mikado witnesses an urban legend on his first day in the city, the Headless Rider astride a black motorcycle. From then on, the existence of supernatural cases and a gang called the Yellow Scarves will rise to the surface, and Ikebukuro will pushed to the breaking point.

Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei is listed as comedy, drama, and slice of life, with themes of dark comedy, harem, parody, satire, school, and suicide.

QuoteItoshiki Nozomu is the world's most negative person. To his way of thinking, there is no hope or meaning in this existence. Even the three kanji of his name become the two-kanji word zetsubou, "despair", when compressed. What an ironic twist of fate, then, that he becomes teacher to a class containing his precise opposite, the invincibly positive-minded Fuura Kafuka.

Bakemonogatari is listed as "action, comedy, mystery, psychological, romance, slice of life, and supernatural" with themes of "absurdity, dark comedy, ecchi, fanservice, harem, magic and occult, spirits, and vampires."

QuoteAlthough there are still traces of the brief period he became a vampire, third year high school student Koyomi Araragi is human again. He happens upon others with their own supernatural problems and finds that he can empathize. Koyomi becomes involved in their lives, seeking to help them and occasionally asking for advice from Meme Oshino, the homeless man who helped him become human again.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Major Major

I have my own mighty collection where I live, and there's a few others out in the main room. I'll try and list off the anime and manga I have, but it might take some time:

Strike Witches
Ah! My Goddess
Love Hina
Great Teacher Onizuka
Negima
Please Teacher!
Please Twins!
Ranma 1/2
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Full Metal Alchemist
Azumanga Daioh
Midori Days
You're Under Arrest! (The movie)
Excel Saga
Vandread
El-Hazard: The Magnificent World
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Steel Angel Kurumi
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Tenchi Muyo!
The Slayers
A.I. Love You (the manga)
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Axis Powers Hetalia
Planetes
Robotech
Star Blazers

There may be others, but I'd need to look for them.

Haibane

Quote from: Caeli on January 25, 2012, 03:19:03 PM
Durarara!! is listed as action, psychological, romance, and supernatural, and covers themes of "Dullahan, Gangs, and social-networking."

Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei is listed as comedy, drama, and slice of life, with themes of dark comedy, harem, parody, satire, school, and suicide.

Bakemonogatari is listed as "action, comedy, mystery, psychological, romance, slice of life, and supernatural" with themes of "absurdity, dark comedy, ecchi, fanservice, harem, magic and occult, spirits, and vampires."
Caeli, thanks!

I notice that Durarara!! is 25 episodes, Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei is 12 episodes (in the first series plus loads of other stuff later) and Bakemonogatari is 12 +3 webisodes.

I think, for our first discussion, we should go for one of the two shorter ones. I've seen Bakemonogatari a few times so my vote goes for Sayonara~

wouldjakoindly

Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Dragonball Z, which evolved into One Piece and Shaman King, which evolved into Fullmetal Alchemist, which evolved into anything by the godly hands of Naoki Urasawa.

Yeah, pretty big anime (well, manga) fan here. (:
Though I have to say, my love right now is totally for American comics (Batman in particular).

As it is, I only stick to shounen, the less romance the better. Battle Royale was alright, Gyo and Uzumaki freaking amazing, and Worst!, which is about an all-boy's high school and has LOTS of yankee/bansho type guys (what we'd call greasers in America, sort of), and all of them are always fighting. Mmmmmmmm, pomadorssssss.
My O/Os. || My solo request board. || A/As. || I'm back. Feel free to chew me out for the second too-long absence. || · ┓┏ ·

Haruki

It's too bad, Japanese often just don't know how to grasp romance very well.  More often than not, it comes across as lacking.

Same thing happens in American / Western works too, but it seems to be more glaringly bad in manga / anime.  As such, I'm none too surprised.

I used to be one who 'had' to have a romantic angle in anything I was looking to get into, anime-wise.  Trouble is, it got me into some series that, I admit nowadays, I can't help but be just slightly embarrassed to having in my collection.  Lots of rather mediocre 'harem' type series and 'puppy love' situations in shoujo works.  Watching stuff like 'Fruits Basket' (which didn't focus on romance as much as I felt it would at first......probably being a reverse-harem helped), and moreso, 'The Twelve Kingdoms', literally changed my mind and got me looking for deeper, more mature plotlines and characters.

Oftentimes, for that, you sacrifice other aspects.....romance and slapstick comedy are the biggest sacrifices, but these days I'll take something that'll last and have me wanting to rewatch a dozen times over, than something that may be good the first time, but every time thereafter, there's nothing left to discuss or question within the plot.

As for a pick for our viewing / discussion, I'd probably aim for the shorter titles.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Caeli

For the discussion, I'd like to vote for Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei. Maybe after we finish that title, we can do Bakemonogatari? :)

Also, once we settle on a title, would anyone be opposed if I created a new topic for the group/discussion? xD I have the perfect title in mind for the thread.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Haruki

Good idea to make a new thread of course.  I wonder what title you have in mind?  Or are you going to be all sneaky and secretive with it and not reveal until it's made?  :P
=====
My Introduction
=====

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Chris Brady

Quote from: Haruki on January 25, 2012, 06:29:31 PM
It's too bad, Japanese often just don't know how to grasp romance very well.  More often than not, it comes across as lacking.

Incorrect, they have a differing view of romance.  CLAMP is one of the few Anime/Manga crew that refuse to share the aversion to touching that was common in the early days of Japanese culture.  Also, one of the big tropes is that any of the main leads either kiss (or outright have sex, as in a 'fade to black') one or the other is going to die, likely horribly.  The Japanese thrive on failure and tragedy, their entire 'code of Bushido' is set up for it.  It's impossible to live up to, but because they know they can't they do so.  Outside of Shoujo, very few will have happy 'endings' of any sort.  It's sort of changing now, but they have a long way to go with it.

Too Long Didn't Read version:

It's not they don't know Romance, it's just they have a different ideal of it, one that isn't very Western.

Haruki

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 26, 2012, 12:53:03 AM
Incorrect, they have a differing view of romance.  CLAMP is one of the few Anime/Manga crew that refuse to share the aversion to touching that was common in the early days of Japanese culture.  Also, one of the big tropes is that any of the main leads either kiss (or outright have sex, as in a 'fade to black') one or the other is going to die, likely horribly.  The Japanese thrive on failure and tragedy, their entire 'code of Bushido' is set up for it.  It's impossible to live up to, but because they know they can't they do so.  Outside of Shoujo, very few will have happy 'endings' of any sort.  It's sort of changing now, but they have a long way to go with it.

Too Long Didn't Read version:

It's not they don't know Romance, it's just they have a different ideal of it, one that isn't very Western.

I was about to actually backpedal on my earlier comments, because I was thinking about this, and what you put forth took the words out of my mind.

I'm rusty on this stuff these days.  I used to know all this stuff off the back of my hand.  Thanks.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Haibane

I agree with Chris that anime is full of romance. It's everywhere! Male+female (or for other genres; person+person of whatever gender your market wants) is the biggest single driving force in human existence and every culture has countless stories that centre around it. Of the anime I favour I find it hard to actually think of any that don't include it, at least as a sub-theme. Heck, even series like BECK whose main focus was elsewhere had a really rich and subtle romance sub-plot that while it didn't get much screen time pulled at my heartstrings it was so well done. Even the series about that madcap crazy goddess Haruhi Suzumiya has, underneath in there, a romance thread. Whenever boy and girl come together, there's potential for it.

I agree Caeli, a group discussion thread separate from this would be a good idea. There might even be scope to talk to the Elliquiy Herald team and see if some of the best posts that come out of our talks might not go in there as a blog type feature. Our discussion group might even be counted as a form of blog... thoughts on that?

Caeli

I've already notified BeMi that I'll be writing an article about the formation of this anime discussion group in the next issue (to be released late February) of the H&P. :) It would be pretty awesome, actually, if we condensed or summarized some of the discussions about the series to be published as articles as well. That's something we can definitely talk about as our discussions take place, and we can also discuss possible formatting, length, and so on. Or to go a simpler route, a couple of people can volunteer to write short articles/reviews of the anime, giving general overviews and a star/tomato/number rating.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Koibito

I started a cool little deal here. If we do that club idea I highly suggest we read shounen. It seems nearly everyone here is about the obscure shoujo/small stuff and I think reading (not even new) shounen heavy action big time stuff. I may sound like a broken record but stuff like Saint Seiya, D. Gray-Man, One Piece, stuff that doesn't really seem like the stuff that everyone on this thread is posting about so that there's more variety. Of course nothing against what anyone likes, it's just a suggestion ^^

Tiaan

I think it's more the length of the series than that no one wants to use them for the club. We'd need to start at the beginning for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen them, and going back to the beginning of One Piece, for example, is quite a daunting prospect! No reason fans of the big action, ongoing anime can't have their own discussion thread too? Personally, I gave up on One Piece at about episode 50 and am still at episode one-hundred-and-something of Bleach. Both good series though.

The idea here was to make something we can watch together, in its entirety and discuss it, before moving on to something new :-)

Haibane

Yes, if we pick a monster series we will have people lose interest and drop away. I have had exactly that experience before in an anime club on a forum. We decided to go for a half-season show, something around 11-13 episodes in its entirety to begin with. Also, sprinkling in films now and again.

Koibito

Ah. Well I'll join but I can't say I'll participate until it's shounen. No offense to those into it but I don't like shoujo, I got into anime for action and stuff and that's what I like. I've tried other types and they don't interest me.

Haruki

Yeah, shorter series typically work better in a gathering / discussion format, plus it gets people interested in those series they may otherwise be missing.  Almost everyone knows and already follows the big name shounen titles.....it's the most popular genre of anime besides the ecchi/hentai stuff.  I like the earlier Naruto series (canon eps anyways) as much as the next person, but most people already know and the die-hard fans of it still follow Shippuden to this day.

Shorter shounen series.....probably have to look into what's called 'seinen' then.  I'm thinking of titles like Eden of the East for an example.  Short, packed with plot, and seems to be aimed at a male audience, or movies like Akira or Ghost in the Shell (the movie and its various TV spinoffs).

What I'm going to like most about this online club idea is that it's with adults, able to hold a more engaging discussion about the finer details of what we're watching, rather than just blatant fan-boying/girling over characters and such that I typically find at other forums

@ Haibane:  Yes, I recall that from BECK.  It didn't get much time, as you said, but there was clearly a romantic interest there between a couple of the characters that I easily noticed.  I find romance works better (in anything really, never mind just anime) when it's more of a sub-plot.  It's allowed more subtle moments and those tug at the heart more than outright displays for me.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Haibane

Quote from: Koibito on January 26, 2012, 02:26:41 PM
Ah. Well I'll join but I can't say I'll participate until it's shounen. No offense to those into it but I don't like shoujo, I got into anime for action and stuff and that's what I like. I've tried other types and they don't interest me.
That's fine and everyone here will respect your opinion - mine is the opposite - I'll watch almost anything but shounen, although some of it I like. My understanding is that the actual anime club discussion will be on a seperate thread and general anime/manga chat will be here so you won't have to flip past posts you are not interested in and if you want to natter about anything at all related to the subject, feel free!

Quote from: Haruki on January 26, 2012, 02:28:36 PM
Shorter shounen series.....probably have to look into what's called 'seinen' then.  I'm thinking of titles like Eden of the East for an example.  Short, packed with plot, and seems to be aimed at a male audience, or movies like Akira or Ghost in the Shell (the movie and its various TV spinoffs).
Mmm, yes, in that case seinen works for me too :D Eden of the East was spectacular. I only finished watching it a few days ago, loved it from start to finish. The use of CGI in anime is getting very slick and pretty high quality now. Romance in there as well, at least a little, and heck, if you can say there is romance between cyborgs it was present in Ghost in the Shell too (the first two movies at least) ;)

Tiaan

Shounen, shoujo, seinen, josei are just target market audiences anyway; like a radio station will target it's music to listeners of a certain age and demographic - doesn't mean they'll play the same genre of music all day!

Although I am really interested in the series we mentioned so far for this club, I am quite looking forward to watching something later on that I wouldn't normally pick, to experience something new. You should join Koibato, you might find something you really like!

Caeli

Strictly speaking, Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei isn't a shojo series - it's slice of life, and it was originally serialized as a manga in Weekly Shonen Magazine, so its audience is less gender-biased. I know that Durarara!! is also fairly action-oriented, so even if it's not guns-blazing-ninjas-fighting-ten-minute-long-battle-scenes type of action, it might be something you could give a try.

I know you said that you like action anime and you don't really like other stuff, but book clubs/film clubs/whatever clubs are also good opportunities to try out series you might not normally try because of the genre they fall under. Obviously, if you really found it a trial to go through more than a couple 20-minute episodes, I'm not saying you'd have to go through with watching the whole series... but since you have a distinctly different genre preference, your insights during any resulting dialogue could give a lot of flavor to the discussions.

Also, it would be silly for us to stick to one genre. As demonstrated, many of us have watched and enjoyed a huge variety of anime, so it would make sense to switch up genres. I think Haruki's suggestions to watch Eden of the East in the future is a good suggestion - I've heard only good things about the series.

By the way, I just put up the discussion group thread, here.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Tiaan

Thank you for setting up the thread Caeli~

TentacleFan

*sees an Anime thread and pokes my head in*

Hello fellow anime fans. I'm a big time collector myself with way too much on my overloaded shelves to list it all. I'll just list some of my personal faves from my collection. I do like a fairly diverse selection of titles rather than sticking to the shonnen, shoujo, seinen, josei, etc categories.

A smattering of faves :
Series or Movies
Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL
Nadia
Ghost In The Shell (The 1st movie and Stand Alone Complex both seasons)
Eden of the East
Akira
Summer Wars
Lupin III
Last Exile
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Full Metal Panic
Bleach
Speedgrapher
Gunbuster
Ranma 1/2
Godannar
Fushigi Yugi

There's tons more where that comes from but that's a good start.

I'm not necessarily going to take part in the anime club thread (good luck and have fun to those that do) But I'm always up for general anime discussion.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

Tiaan

Hello TentacleFan! Welcome to the thread. There are a lot of series on your list that I've enjoyed. If you had to pick only one to be your favourite which would it be? Don't choose any of the ongoing series like Bleach etc.! Maybe something that you watched while something big was happening in your life and which brings you find memories of that time?

For me it's Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It was on for around 15 months while I was going through some really life changing stuff; as well as being a great series it reminds me of what I overcame! It made me cry and laugh and gave me goose pimples, usually one or all of those in every episode!

TentacleFan

Well, choosing a single anime is almost too hard to do. I'm going to cheat and drop a couple, for which I apologize, but I just couldn't do justice with a single entry, there have been too many anime and I don't think of things in terms of having a single favorite.

My first exposure to anime was as in the 80's watching Robotech, I greatly enjoyed it compared to american cartoons of the period and had several of the figures that went along with it. This was before I knew what anime was of course, it was just a cartoon I liked better than the Transformers and GI Joes of the day.

Then the first anime I discovered and knew that it was a "Japanese Cartoon" and also the first I had a physical copy of that I owned was the OVA Tank Police. I watched it so many times because how could I not love a show that was basically Dirty Harry with Tanks!  :D And it introduced me to the concept of catgirls too!

The series that turned me from a sometime collector of those expensive VHS cassettes to a full time collector of DVD (and later Blu Ray) Anime was Neon Genesis Evangelion. It is one of the shows I rewatch most often, and the one I have the most material of. I own it two times on DVD, plus the Original Movies (not as big a fan of the new movies myself) and numerous wall scrolls, posters, and figures.

As for personal connections with shows when you've watched as many as I have it gets a bit difficult. I do have a fondness for a few shows that I watched with my brother just because we got to experience them together, rather than the more typical experience watching things alone. Blue Seed was that way. I also watched Voice of a Distant Star with my best friend and his wife and I almost lost movie choosing privileges from her for choosing something that made her cry. 
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread

Haibane

Pleased to meet another NGE fan, its my favourite of all time too and for me stands head and shoulders above all else.

But in "second" place I think I have about 20 titles ;)

Tiaan

Ohhh, Dominion Tank Police... I think that was the first time I saw a cat-girl too, I remember I was really intrigued by those sexy twins! I had it on VHS as well; at that time in the UK the releases were so few and far between it was feasible to just buy anything that popped up on store shelves (kind of anyway). With no way of knowing what was on them or being able to watch them beforehand it was really just luck what you ended up with... Still, tank police was a lot of fun I remember. Stuff like Fist of the North Star and Urotsukidoji were a bit shocking for my young self <.< although both were enjoyable after I'd got used to them.

I've never watched Neon Genesis Evangelion; I looked into it once but there were a lot of releases to choose from.

Haibane/TentacleFan: Where's a good place to start with a franchise like that?

TentacleFan

Quote from: Haibane on January 31, 2012, 07:18:41 PM
Pleased to meet another NGE fan, its my favourite of all time too and for me stands head and shoulders above all else.

But in "second" place I think I have about 20 titles ;)

Would I consider NGE my all time favorite? It's hard to say I have trouble singling one title out, but it would definitely be a strong contender. It is a show that pretty much every time I go back and watch it I'm struck by another aspect of it, the psychological exploration, the religious iconography, the character motivations, etc.

Quote from: Tiaan on February 01, 2012, 05:22:12 AM
Ohhh, Dominion Tank Police... I think that was the first time I saw a cat-girl too, I remember I was really intrigued by those sexy twins! I had it on VHS as well; at that time in the UK the releases were so few and far between it was feasible to just buy anything that popped up on store shelves (kind of anyway). With no way of knowing what was on them or being able to watch them beforehand it was really just luck what you ended up with... Still, tank police was a lot of fun I remember. Stuff like Fist of the North Star and Urotsukidoji were a bit shocking for my young self <.< although both were enjoyable after I'd got used to them.

I've never watched Neon Genesis Evangelion; I looked into it once but there were a lot of releases to choose from.

Haibane/TentacleFan: Where's a good place to start with a franchise like that?

Yes the Puma twins were most intriguing to a then just entering high school boy as well. The strip tease to distract the inept SWAT team at the beginning was a much re-watched scene.  :D There was a time when I bought many of the titles coming through the US just because there was so little available, then I had to become choosier as more titles started debuting over here. Since there was no internet to speak of at the time I had blind buys based on things like the cover art, the copy text on the box, and so on. I'm happy to say I did alright with mostly titles I enjoy in my collection, occasionally I end up with something not so good. *looks over at the show Virus Buster Serge on my shelf*

I've heard much of the UK and it's introduction to Urotsukidoji which stirred up quite the scandal due to it's release in theaters. It's fairly well known here as the big introduction to tentacle porn but not quite as infamous.

As for Evangelion, I'd suggest the 26 episode TV show that started it all. It's pretty available on DVD and from a quick Amazon.com search seems to be around $43 American brand new, not sure how much it would be in the UK, for the Platinum Edition which was nicely remastered. The show is what most are referring to when they talk Evangelion.

Haibane

And I would certainly watch it through more than once. New things keep appearing that make you go "Oh my God! So that's what that meant!"

The story has so many tortured characters with tortured motivations and so much weird iconography that its perhaps the deepest anime anyone has made. That last remark might sound pompous but I promise you, its about the most complex and subtle story you'll see in a cartoon.

After the 26 episode TV show which has a metaphorical ending, and which disappointed so many fans, Gainax produced two extra films to cover the end of the story. One was called "End of Evangelion" and was in fact two episodes that replaced the original episodes 25 and 26 and one was a stand-alone film called "Death and Rebirth" which replaced the metaphorical ending of the TV series with a movie length 'real' ending. Its this one that I recommend.

Its not so much a replacement of the last episode, more an alternative set of events going on at the same time - while episode 26 mostly happens inside the main characters head, you could consider "Death & Rebirth" to be what is going on in the real world. The two complement each other.

I haven't seen any of the modern works at all. For me NGE ends with that second movie and that is enough for me. Modern additions such as the live action movies and the new animated movies are IMHO just cash cows - they add nothing to the original story. I'm sure they are very good but they are just not for me.

TentacleFan

I'm definitely in agreement with you Haibane. I'd almost go out and say all I really need to watch is the 26 episode show and forgo Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion as I rather like the more psychological ending of episode 25 & 26. I do have and treasure the Manga (Manga the anime company) releases of both movies, they are exceedingly hard to find and very expensive online. I couldn't agree more that the show has so many layers to explore and that there was no need to continue to create the various new tellings they seem to pump out continuously such as the new movies and the various spin off manga.

As for the deepest anime one of the few I've found that had similar depth upon rewatching was Gainax's other show FLCL. It's a very different tale from NGE, more comedy wackiness, but it definitely has a lot going on in it's storytelling and I always find new subtext upon each new watching as well.

Jag

Quote from: TentacleFan on February 01, 2012, 11:43:01 AM
As for the deepest anime one of the few I've found that had similar depth upon rewatching was Gainax's other show FLCL. It's a very different tale from NGE, more comedy wackiness, but it definitely has a lot going on in it's storytelling and I always find new subtext upon each new watching as well.

FLCL is awesome. *nods* I cosplayed as Mamimi Samejima once (not that it was an overly difficult costume).

TentacleFan

Mamimi is so cute (although my favorite is the craziness of Haruko) I love the scene towards the end of the first episode where she's smoking on the bridge with her bent up cigarette and that song by the Pillows perfectly captures the mood.

Tiaan

Thanks for the info, you've totally sold NGE on me! Will be putting it to the top of my list of stuff to watch (after Zetsubou Sensei anyway).

QuoteYes the Puma twins were most intriguing to a then just entering high school boy as well. The strip tease to distract the inept SWAT team at the beginning was a much re-watched scene.  :D

Haha! I can imagine it was quite a nice surprise to see that animated loveliness...

QuoteI've heard much of the UK and it's introduction to Urotsukidoji which stirred up quite the scandal due to it's release in theaters. It's fairly well known here as the big introduction to tentacle porn but not quite as infamous.

Oh I didn't know they showed it in theatres too! When I was playing my first MMO some people were talking about anime and I mentioned Urotsukidoji, some people were like 'urgh, I dont like hentai' and stuff, which felt weird cause I'd never thought of it as a hentai as such... but I mean, it definitely is. I haven't watched it in years but I seem to remember the story was still quite engaging, not just a string of sex scenes loosely tied together (although kids have a wider imagination, so I might just remember it like that because I was young when I saw it). I remember the sex scenes weren't so long and drawn out either (but I think it was a condensed version of a series in feature length form, so perhaps it had a more full on hentai feel originally...).

FLCL I tried to watch once but really didn't get it, I didn't get the jokes and I couldn't follow what was going on either... might've been my state of mind at the time, perhaps I should give it another go since a lot of people really talk highly of it.

TentacleFan

Quote from: Tiaan on February 01, 2012, 01:09:02 PM
Thanks for the info, you've totally sold NGE on me! Will be putting it to the top of my list of stuff to watch (after Zetsubou Sensei anyway).

It's a great show, I hope you enjoy it when you get to check it out. I find it's a show that provokes a lot of discussion so when you do feel free to come around looking to converse.

Quote from: Tiaan on February 01, 2012, 01:09:02 PMHaha! I can imagine it was quite a nice surprise to see that animated loveliness...

It was indeed, fond memories.  ;)

Quote from: Tiaan on February 01, 2012, 01:09:02 PMOh I didn't know they showed it in theatres too! When I was playing my first MMO some people were talking about anime and I mentioned Urotsukidoji, some people were like 'urgh, I dont like hentai' and stuff, which felt weird cause I'd never thought of it as a hentai as such... but I mean, it definitely is. I haven't watched it in years but I seem to remember the story was still quite engaging, not just a string of sex scenes loosely tied together (although kids have a wider imagination, so I might just remember it like that because I was young when I saw it). I remember the sex scenes weren't so long and drawn out either (but I think it was a condensed version of a series in feature length form, so perhaps it had a more full on hentai feel originally...).

Yes, from the stories I've heard it was back when it first came out that it was in theaters which would be some time ago, early 90's I believe. I agree it had more plot than your typical hentai, just like many hentai have much more plot than your typical real-life porn.

Quote from: Tiaan on February 01, 2012, 01:09:02 PMFLCL I tried to watch once but really didn't get it, I didn't get the jokes and I couldn't follow what was going on either... might've been my state of mind at the time, perhaps I should give it another go since a lot of people really talk highly of it.

FLCL is jam packed with references. I know there are plenty that I don't get myself. I can see it could be hard to follow, it's definitely something that the more I watched it the more the layers came out and the more I appreciated it. For my part the references to other anime and such aren't as entertaining as the story and characters at the core of the show.

Jag

Not sure how many yaoi fans there are poking around in here, but the remake of Ai No Kusabi has been released. I watched the first episode (and only one so far). It's...oh my...so much more detail and depth to the characters. I still don't like the way Iason's face looks, I still think he looks ill and sickly, but he makes up for it in attitude. And I'm loving the look of Jupiter in the opening credits, even though they haven't show hir in the show yet (I say hir because I don't think it was ever made clear if the computer was feminine or masculine, though the original has it definitely looking female).

Chris Brady

I cannot recommend the first NGE series to anyone.  It's nothing more than one man's pornographic display of own his mental breakdown.  Everything in Evangelion is nothing more than his own personal issues, from his Oedipus complex to his father's domination.  In fact it was originally slated to run 40 episodes, but had to be cut to 24 because the anime watching public got sick of the sadomasochistic underpinings of the series.  Hell, they redid the ending because the first one made no sense, and the fans were threatening to boycott the station, at a time when that actually meant something.

There's a second series, more recent, which I've not watched so I cannot pass judgement on it.  But for my money, don't watch the first series, it'll do nothing but disappoint.

Haibane

Everyone to his own Chris, I don't agree with anything you said there because when watching NGE I see things that have meaning for me in my life and in what my parents did; they are universal things, part of the human condition, not just applicable to one person's experience. But saying to someone "don't watch this" is very negative. A person should watch as much as they can to experience as much different anime as they can - a broader experience means broader horizons.

FLCL would make a good anime for the MAD to discuss. I've seen it several times and don't get it at all but its endlessly fun to watch. I just wish I knew what the heck was going on! Would love to talk about it more with others.

Chris Brady

Yes, Haibane, my assessment of NGE is very negative because the wasted potential to do something different, instead the entire series wallows in negativity.  To the point where the 'bad guys' win.  Shinji never got to be more than a whiny emo lump because the series was set up for it.  There is no character growth, there is no resolution.

And my statement of Gainax having to cut the series short is fact.  As is the reason why there are two ending movies to it.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the rest.

As for Furi Kuri, it's really nothing more than a boy's coming of age story, with a typical 'and nothing changes' ending.  With a lot of silly references to other manga and anime and American cartoons.  It's silly fun, as long as you disregard the ending.

Tiaan

Quote from: Haibane on February 01, 2012, 03:42:28 PMFLCL would make a good anime for the MAD to discuss. I've seen it several times and don't get it at all but its endlessly fun to watch. I just wish I knew what the heck was going on! Would love to talk about it more with others.

Yes, I second this ^^ There is a lot of craziness to try and understand in that anime...

Haibane

Quote from: Chris Brady on February 01, 2012, 04:05:13 PM
Yes, Haibane, my assessment of NGE is very negative because the wasted potential to do something different, instead the entire series wallows in negativity.  To the point where the 'bad guys' win.  Shinji never got to be more than a whiny emo lump because the series was set up for it.  There is no character growth, there is no resolution.
There are many tremendous works of art in other media, such as live action cinema, books and poetry that have hopeless themes and tragic negative endings where a main character is without redemption. The fact the story has a negative ending does nothing to detract from it's... well I'm going to use the word "splendour" because that's how I see it, nor does it make it weak, poor, bad, or any other negative connotation.

Why should a story have a happy ending? It was Hideaki Anno's intention to write a negative story based around his own emotional experiences. That he did so in such a spectacular way while clawing his way out of suicidal depression should be applauded, not denigrated.

As for Shinji not achieving any resolution or growing at the end, I feel that you've missed something there because he very definitely does. What are the final few seconds of Ep.26 about if that is not Shinji achieving something?

The series won several awards. Rubbish anime doesn't win awards.

The series is psychological, sophisticated, psychoanalytical and subtle and drew an audience far wider than anime usually does. The nationwide outrage at the end of the series was partly due to this wider audience, another measure of how good it is.

QuoteAnd my statement of Gainax having to cut the series short is fact.  As is the reason why there are two ending movies to it.
I beleive there were financial problems regarding the series generally (as there were with other projects by Hideaki Anno, such as Kare Kano) but the series was, so I understand, always intended to be a single full season of 26 episodes. If you've a reliable souce that mentions 40 episodes I'd like to read about that as I've never come across that suggestion before. 52 episodes would make more sense, giving two seasons. The reason the films were released was because a whole bunch of fans either didn't understand the ending or wanted a traditional ending (traditional as in a real world setting, not the psychological consummation inside Shinji's head at the end.

The two ending films aren't necessary at all. I understood the original ending, perhaps because I saw parallels in what my own family had gone through, but it satisfied the fans of the mecha and sci-fi elements of the series and it also made a damn fine 'real' ending. I love them both.

TentacleFan

Quote from: HaibaneThere are many tremendous works of art in other media, such as live action cinema, books and poetry that have hopeless themes and tragic negative endings where a main character is without redemption. The fact the story has a negative ending does nothing to detract from it's... well I'm going to use the word "splendour" because that's how I see it, nor does it make it weak, poor, bad, or any other negative connotation.

Why should a story have a happy ending? It was Hideaki Anno's intention to write a negative story based around his own emotional experiences. That he did so in such a spectacular way while clawing his way out of suicidal depression should be applauded, not denigrated.

I couldn't agree more, there is room for works that reflect the negative feelings and emotions and aspects of life alongside the uplifting ones. I prefer to have a mix of options in the media I consume or art I reflect upon.

Quote from: HaibaneAs for Shinji not achieving any resolution or growing at the end, I feel that you've missed something there because he very definitely does. What are the final few seconds of Ep.26 about if that is not Shinji achieving something?

That's something I really like about the TV version ending, the whole mentally working things out of the finale.

Quote from: HaibaneI beleive there were financial problems regarding the series generally (as there were with other projects by Hideaki Anno, such as Kare Kano) but the series was, so I understand, always intended to be a single full season of 26 episodes. If you've a reliable souce that mentions 40 episodes I'd like to read about that as I've never come across that suggestion before. 52 episodes would make more sense, giving two seasons. The reason the films were released was because a whole bunch of fans either didn't understand the ending or wanted a traditional ending (traditional as in a real world setting, not the psychological consummation inside Shinji's head at the end.

I've never heard about the show being longer than 26 episodes from any source I've come across either. I do know that there were budget  issues from what I've read. There were in Gainax's previous work on Gunbuster (the segment where it turns into black & white penciled art instead of animation) as well.

As for Kare Kano I believe a lot of the issues there were due to catching up the manga as it came out, a problem for many shows over the years. I did enjoy that show a great deal with the exception of the something like 2 1/2 episodes of recapping the show later on. Also the fact that it didn't even finish the story arc they were in let alone make it to the end of the manga. Luckily I have the entire run of the manga as released by Tokyo Pop before they went defunct. I enjoyed it till the end with the exception of the slightly creepy epilogue.

I'd be up for discussing FLCL if it gets a turn in the discussion group. I'll need to pull out my DVDs or BluRay of it and rewatch just to have it fresh in mind.

Haruki

Bah, life gets in the way sometimes.  >_>  So much catching up to do around here.

In my spare time though, late nights before I sleep, I have been taking in the above-mentioned Evangelion.  I also only have (and plan to stick to) the original 26 episode TV series.  The new iteration of movies they're doing are both just a cash cow and a re-telling for a 'modern' audience who may not be into all that psycho-analysis that the original series puts forth.

Said analysis, however, is EXACTLY what made NGE TV the series that no one could stop talking about back in the mid/late 1990s.

All this is beside the fact that it was also for me, the first anime series I picked up in my transition from VHS to DVD formats.  As such, it does hold that place in me.

KareKano (His & Her Circumstances) seems to do the same to an extent, though with a different setting, story, and characters, and exploring different aspects of life (especially romance and relationships with family and friends that surround us) that we struggle with, starting in our highschool years.  It also does a nice job of exploring how (most?) people take on one persona in one facet of their life....usually their public life, while their 'normal' persona is something completely opposite.  It's a bit more realistic than NGE in these respects (no bio-mechas, no post-apocalyptic setting), but both anime take a deep look into the human psyche and all its quirks.

GAINAX was always running into financial difficulties throughout the 1990s, partly because of the high expense of anime production back then, and because Anno himself (who's basically the 'president/CEO' of the studio) was in financial ruin at the time with his clinical depression bout in the early '90s (which also served as the template for the NGE storyline to boot).  Not until computer colorizing/ink/tweening techniques became the accepted means of doing animation work, do they seem to be more financially sound.  I'm sure the NGE movies are helping out as well.  They're a cash cow, no doubt, but in doing their job of bringing a new generation into the world and characters of NGE, those new fans may also go back and look at the more psychological explorations the original TV series and movies/specials of the mid/late 1990s put forth.

(I personally haven't seen the movie re-tellings yet.....someday maybe.)

One of the big reasons I stick with anime to this day is because it 'is' an artform, despite a lot of the cash cows and fluff (and yes, even some downright creepy things in there), if you dig deep enough, there's that gem of a series that has things balanced, or it's something that's one-of-a-kind that no one will dare to attempt ever again.  NGE falls into that camp as do some others.
=====
My Introduction
=====

CmdrRenegade

I recently finished Birdy the Mighty Decode 02.  I had watched 01 last year and been meaning to get to 02.  This was a really fun show with a cute ending and enough fighting to keep things interesting, though I thought Nataru felt forced as a character.  In addition, I'm nearing Episode 100 of One Piece and still enjoying it.  I didn't think I would be able to stick with it this long and still enjoy it, but Oda has done well so far.  There's thus far been only one filler episode, which actually developed a character (Usopp) instead of wasting time.  I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to have to be the voice of dissent on NGE.  I really liked it and all the psycholanalysis back in the day.  But nowadays I can't help but get the feeling that Anno was just making stuff up as he went along, while dealing with his mental issues.  The whole thing felt pointless after that. 
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Fieryone

I am also an Anime fan, I've watched a variety of Giant Robot anime (Most Gundam, GaoGaiGar, Patlabor, Da-Guard, TTGL to name a few) I'm also a fan of most of the Anime we got thanks to Toonami, so I am fan of DBZ and the like.

Though as of late the only anime I've been watching consistently is One Piece, as I'm a pretty huge fan (still need to get through my back log), otherwise I spend most of my time watching Kamen Rider or Super Sentai.

Nyarly

Well, I'm a manga/anime-fan too. No surprise, considering my avatar and my past avatars (if anybody actually remembers them or me for that matter). I have some preference to more fanservice-y stuff, like Queen's Blade, Samurai Girls or Strike Witches. I think I watch a bit too much of those, though, and plan to watch more . Because of that I want to pick up one or two Ghibli movies the next time I buy new DVDs, since there are still some I haven't watched yet. Not to mention the ones I only saw in TV and have no DVDs of (yet).

I also like Slice of Life, Fantasy and Magical Girl stuff. Of the latter, my first wasn't Sailor Moon, but Card Captor Sakura, which is also partly responsible that I became a yuri fan (I read lots of mushy Sakura/Tomoyo fanfictions years ago). But my favorite is now Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (at least the original series and A's) and I plan to get Madoka when it gets released here (the first volume is supposed to come out in Germany at the end of March).

Currently, more or less  (I tend to stall things a lot), I'm watching Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, Strike Witches (completely ridiculous in concept and execution, but I like it), Chii's Sweet Home and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. I also started (as in, I saw the first episode recently) Angel Beats (didn't hook me, but I'll watch more), Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (my avatar is from it).

That said, I probably won't take part in group watching, since I don't have the luxury of watching anything I want to anytime. And while SZS interests me, I have not means of watching it at the moment.

Jag

Just got home from seeing The Secret World of Arrietty. It was great.

The Secret World of Arrietty - Official Trailer [HD]

Haruki

I can't wait till that comes out on home video in some form or another.  I really enjoy most anything that comes out of Studio Ghibli, and this one's the first since Howl's Moving Castle to get a wide release or any marketing push.  Then again, other than Ponyo, things have been relatively quiet with Ghibli.

Glad to see them back on the map though.  I've been reading good things about Arriety so far.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Nyarly

That's one of the Ghibli movies I consider buying next time (it's out on DVD here). But at the moment I'm more interested in Grave of the Fireflies. Maybe I'll buy it with My Neighbor Totoro and watch them in succession, like theaters in Japan did. If the things I heard about Grave of the Fireflies are even remotely true, I will need some Totoro after it...

And I still need to watch Howl's Moving Castle, which I bought some weeks ago.

Jag

I can't say that it's 100% accurate to the Borrowers books, but much more so than the original movie that was put out so many years ago (you know, when Tom Felton was still a little snot nosed brat instead of a sexy wizard), but it was really nice. Spiller is that kind of adorable crazy (the only other borrower the family meets in the movie). Arriety is strong, but very close to her family. Her mother is adorable in that 'Oh my god, I know he got ate by the cat, I just know it, it ate him, swallowed him whole, wewillneversurvivewithouthimohgodwearegoingtodie' sort of way. :P

The animation was just excellent and like most Ghibli films, you get to watch a non-speaking continuation of the movie through the credits. Just little things that finish up the story and let you know what happened. It's very nice.

Haruki

Quote from: Nyarly on February 18, 2012, 06:49:18 PM
That's one of the Ghibli movies I consider buying next time (it's out on DVD here). But at the moment I'm more interested in Grave of the Fireflies. Maybe I'll buy it with My Neighbor Totoro and watch them in succession, like theaters in Japan did. If the things I heard about Grave of the Fireflies are even remotely true, I will need some Totoro after it...

And I still need to watch Howl's Moving Castle, which I bought some weeks ago.

Trust me, whatever you have heard about Grave of the Fireflies, you best also buy some Kleenex.  I think it just got re-licensed.....forgot by who.....Disney does not own rights to it because it's through a different entity.....Bandai Visual if I'm not mistaken.  That, plus it's not to their standard, being a rather sad movie and too 'realistic' to their tastes.  Anywhoo, licensing stuff aside, it's still out there either way......it was one of Central Park Media's better selling titles when that company was in business.

Oh and oddly enough, Totoro was released with Grave as a double bill feature.  That may help too if you don't have that Kleenex on hand.

If you don't have it already, I also must recommend Nausicaa.  This was pre-Studio Ghibli....animated by Topcraft (the studio that basically preceded Studio Ghibli).  Quite a good movie, if a slight bit on the preachy Man vs Nature side.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Jag

Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite. I even named a black cat I had 'Jiji' after the cat in that movie. I saw him poke his tiny, big eared head out from under a stair at a friend's house and said "I want that one! He's my Jiji!". ^^

TentacleFan

I got the chance to go to the theater and see Arrietty recently. Like most of the Ghibli films I've had the chance to see I loved it. Definitely look forward to picking it up when it comes to Blu Ray in the future. On the subject of Ghibli films my favorite is possibly a toss up between Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. I would also place the magnificent Porco Rosso as a dark horse contender for the top spot. I would have Nausicaa as the top possibly if not for the fact that like with the anime film version of Akira, the manga original is just so superior and they had to cut down the story extremely to make it fit into the confines of a single film. It's still a great movie however.

I also got the Blu Ray for the recently released anime Redline. I enjoyed it a great deal. Very high energy sci-fi racing. It was light on plot/story, but the characters were all interesting and the setting, animation, and highly kinetic over the top action appealed to me.

Kirby

*Raises hand* Anime fan here also!

I can thank Netflix for this.  I've seen lots of anime on Netflix, and some On Demand, but always looking for a new one.  I've even bought a couple Manga books at Barnes and Nobles to try that, but I much prefer to watch an Anime.

Some of the ones I've liked  so far are Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Strike witches, Kaze no Stigma, Full metal panic, Negima, Rosario + Vampire, etc. etc. I like about 80% of what I've seen.  As you can see, I watch a wide variety of different Anime.   

Koibito

You should definitely give certain stuff like D. Gray-Man a look see, try reading the manga online. It's way more rewarding.