Sowing Seeds (3.5 D&D, story driven, lgbt friendly)

Started by SmilingFox, December 18, 2014, 12:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Honey
Class: Druid
Race: Faun
Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1078073

Background

The Feylands are a dangerous place, even for their "rulers." Beasts and monsters fill the land, and are as happy to dine on the flesh of the faerie courts as on intruding mortals. To say nothing of the darker cadres of fey, such as the redcaps and nucklavee. But at least one community was safer than the others; Underroot, on the north shore of the Honeyed River. because Underroot had a natural druid among its children.
   Honey - named for the river - always had a way with animals. From the feral little pets her neighbors kept, to the wild deer and hares of the forest. She was the child who would bring injured or abandoned animals home to care for them. Sometimes they lived, and sometimes they didn't; and each time an aged squirrel or sick wren couldn't pull through, the tears came hot and fresh. Honey loved her charges, and their occasional loss created something in her most fey lack - compassion for others.
   So when the owlbear attacked Underroot, most of her friends or neighbors scattered, leaving each to their own devices as the mad creature smashed its way through the flimsy walls and the marketplace. But then, suddenly, it stopped. After panic subsided, curiosity took over, and the scattered denizens of Underroot came to see what had happened.
   There in the ruins of the market square was the owlbear, its red-yellow eyes trained on a red-faced faun girl. when it tried to move past, she stepped in its way. The people of Underroot watched in wonder as the monster and the girl hooted and growled at each other. Finally, after a long standoff, the owlbear turned and left the way it had come, leaving no harm other than smashed market stalls and a stolen haunch of venison.
   The Scholars of Sun and Stars came to Underroot soon after, though no one had told them. They whisked Honey away into the deeper woods of the Feylands, to begin training her talents. Her compassion and youthful understanding of death served her well in these lessons - most fey have neither, and so the path of a druid is difficult, even for those children of nature. She learned magic, and how to use it correctly. She learned power over plants and animals - and how to give those same things power over others. Her head was filled with wisdom from before the first elf drew breath. it was so much that she cannot rightly recall all of it - but as the saying goes, once planted, a seed will sprout.
   The call south to Eirion fulfilled two goals; the Feylands needed to send an emissary to those faraway lands, and who better than one of the few in their number who could even fathom the muckborn? Second, Honey herself longs to see new and different lands, to set her hooves into foreign grasses and swim faraway rivers, to learn the land all over. So, her companion-creature of the moment in tow, she has taken her training and goods, and answered the Lady of Faith.

Personality

Honey is first and foremost an explorer. New lands and creatures fascinate her, and she wants to see them all. People interest her somewhat less, but the humans and their ilk are so strange that she can't help but pay attention to them. She's curious and inquisitive, and usually very open about her feelings (for good or ill). Most would judge her to be almost naively kind-hearted. While it's true that she is usually friendly, and adores animals (and finds plants fascinating as well) the fact is she is still an agent of natural balance... and though it pains her, nature can be terrible and brutal as well as beautiful. The power of the entire natural world is at her fingertips, yet she is charged with using it sparingly and as-needed.

Sheet details

Rather than use the (fairly awful) Faun from Deities and Demigods, I'm using a "reskinned" version of the uldra from Frostburn. Here are a few changes there, though...

- Medium size, rather than small
   - Replaced their cold resistance with the music / sonic resistance of the original Faun race
   - Swapped the Uldra's cold damage ability with the original faun's skill bonuses (Hide, move Silently, perform (wind instruments), and survival)
   - traded the Uldra's cold / damage-based SLA's with those that gnomes get.

Also, I know you thumbs-downed Dragon Magazine stuff... But with that Tibbet in the works, I figured i might as well go for the super-flavorful
"Metal intolerance"
You are allergic to metals
effect: You suffer an additional point of damage when struck by metal weapons. The natural attacks of inevitables, iron golems, and other creatrues composed of metal also deal this additional damage
flaw from Dragon #324 becuase, well... fey druid. If that's not cool, no problem I'll take it and the feat i got from it off :-)

Haven't decided on an animal companion, and haven't bought anything yet.

also, again, if we have too many priest-types, I'm cool with changing out for something... But I figure a 3.5 druid can handle tankiness nicely

Bibliophilia

Smiling, how would you like us to handle gold spending?  Since the game is more story-driven, and the characters, presumably, are mostly settled into some type of dwelling, should we note on their sheet all the small adventuring gear that we buy?  Or, can we just note the important things, and just assume that they have things like lanterns and rations and any other mundane items?

SmilingFox

You don't need to worry too much about cheap mundane items like rations and rope. It's fair to assume that as level 6 adventurers, you've collected most of the tools you'd need, and know how to pack properly. The spending money is largely for magical items.

Bibliophilia

Snake

is ther anything that isn't allowed?

I'm considering a half dragon ranger.

SmilingFox

If you're really okay with the +3 LA I suppose I can allow it.

RubySlippers

Any room for a middling fighter-sort with a high charisma running around adventuring mostly to find females to have sex with, mostly for shits and giggles. So she can write her erotic memoires later on like this is the time I banged a flight of female sprites it did cost me that expensive gem but who cares I had sex with a dozen sprites! Well things she can have sex with safely banging a werewolf could be difficult she may be a tramp but is not stupid.

I'm thinking a rogue swapping out sneak attack for fighter feat progression and armor that she fills in real sweet.  ;D

I have a name for her, Honey D'Arling.

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest also, my concept would be using crusader (as tome of battle class) and be shield + mace (or warmace) user. So basic classic divine inspired knight from the city and follower of Pelor.

Snake

SmilingFox

I like ToB purely for the fact that it lets people play a Fighter/Paladin/Monk type character with more depth than just 'I make a full attack' every turn.

Snake

That's for the uncreative! *laughs* I prefer "I trip then us the free attack to stomp on the guy's face!"

Bibliophilia

Shani Lamit

Class: Oracle
Race: Lesser Aasimar

Background
Shani was born into a middle-class human family, their third child and only girl.  From the moment of her conception, her mother knew that the child was different, somehow special.  She was never plagued with morning sickness, or the typical aches and pains that accompanied pregnancy, in fact the nine months passed like a dream.  The child was born at noon on the summer solstice with a birth that passed swiftly and with little to no pain for her mother.  As she took her first breaths, light from the nearby window fell upon her, illuminating her with the golden rays of Pelor.  Her first laugh rang through the room, and everyone present knew the child was blessed by the gods.

Shani was a delightful baby, sleeping well and never showing any signs of fussiness.  As she grew up, she only grew more lovely and more beloved, her sweet nature and curious mind bringing joy to those around her.  Of course, she was far from perfect.  She often fought with her siblings, and her innate sense of justice sometimes got her into trouble with adults.  There were more than a few instances when she was disciplined for talking back to teachers or other adults whose rules she disagreed with.  For all her goodness, she was a stubborn thing, and no amount of punishment could change her mind about what she believed was right.

That stubborn streak didn't fade as she grew older, and began to develop her divine powers.  Though, after she accidently set her parent's barn on fire in a fit of teenage wrath, she took steps to control her temper.  She still refused to back down from a fight when she felt she was fighting on the side of justice, but she learned to control her gifts and only use them in certain situations.

The call for warriors from the Lady of the Faith came at the most opportune time.  Shani's father had only recently died, and her mother was living with her brother and his wife.  Shani no longer had a reason to remain at home, and she could finally allow herself to give in to her natural wanderlust.  The idea of venturing forth to fight against evil in the name of protecting the innocent greatly appealed to her.  She wanted to see what lay beyond the boundaries of the city she'd grown up in.  To meet new people, explore and learn all she could about the world.  Her devotion to Pelor, Dol Arrah and Arawai encouraged her to seek the light of new discovery and protect those who could not defend themselves.  To dispell the shadow of fear that lay across the city of Lahearth, and bring peace to those who lived there.

Appearance
Shani's eyes shine gold like sunlight reflected off of a newly-minted coin.  They mark her as somehow different than the normal human she appears to be otherwise.  In addition to this, her forearms and hands look scorched by fire, the skin blackened as if with soot, and warm to the touch.

Personality
Shani is kind-hearted, but stubborn as a mule.  Her instincts for good guide her actions, and she refuses to back down from a fight, if she believes herself to be on the side of justice.  It's as if, when she was little, someone told her life wasn't fair and she vowed to prove them wrong.  She's still working toward that end.  She has a quick temper, but she has cultivated a certain amount of control over herself, so when confronted by someone unworthy of death, she uses her sharp tongue and clever wit to wage war.  She has no patience with the willfully stupid, or those whose perception of their own intellect is far out of proportion to reality, and takes great pleasure in cutting them down to size.  She has a deep love of learning, and as quick as she is to anger, she is just as quick to laugh.  Her heart is open and worn on her sleeve, which means she sometimes finds herself hurt, but she doesn't let that embitter her towards others.

I've completed her, aside from spending her gold, and I'm working on that now.  Let me know if there's anything you wish me to change!  I fudged the cosmetic aspects of her Curse slightly, because it suited her too well to forgo it, but the thought of someone with burnt up arms in a game like this was...not so appealing.  She still carries the actual curse of -4 to weapon attacks, though.

PhantomPistoleer

Sera Howlette

Class: Factotum
Race: Human

Background
I’m dreadfully knackered and a bit bladdered, so I’ll keep this short.  Name’s Sera Howlette.  I’m what you’d call a professional adventurer.  No, that’s not a smarmy come on—I’m not a right bastard.  At least, I’m not a right bastard today.

My birth and childhood was a smashing success.  My old man was a barrister, and I knew from early on that I didn't want to be a barrister, too.  But I didn’t know what I wanted to be.  Some days, I fancied being a wizard.  Even read for it at a stodgy academy.  I really threw a spanner in it, though, didn’t I?  Never became a wizard.  Or a cleric.  Or a soldier.  Or anything, really.  But all of that reading taught me a few tricks.

Some chaps might find my work a little tedious, right?  I suppose it is.  I like the monotony of going over ancient runes down in some undead-infested dungeon or while getting torn to shreds by fist-sized mosquitoes in some dank, lonely swamp.  Most adventuring parties unfortunately don’t pay me to decipher old languages.  It’s hard for me to find work with the universities for that sort of work.  The manner of my study has taken the piss, and learned men look down on me for it.

So what, right?  I’ve managed to find work all right.  Carved out a niche for myself, didn’t I?  It’s quite brilliant, really.  I am what folks in the industry call a factotum.  A scholar in the depths!  After unfastening a latch, reviving the healer, and making short work of a nuisance, I put on a kettle.  And that’s what I’m good at, you know.  A little bit of everything.

Appearance
Sera Howlette is a man of average build, height, and weight.  He regularly dresses in scholarly robes, but recently spent a long time in the desert wastes, and has adopted a looser, baggier style of dress.

Personality
Sera is calm, pleasant, and friendly.  He enjoys studying, and is good-natured about it.  His interests are many, and quite a few of those interests  are esoteric.  He likes exchanging ideas, and maintains correspondence with numerous intellectuals in the land.  Sera is sometimes overcome by grief and depression when he recalls instances where his ideas got party members killed.

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

kckolbe

Concept just isn't filling out.  Best of luck everyone.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Sir Viscariot Sunblade
Class: Crusader
Race: Silverbrow Human
Sheet

Background
Viscariot's tale starts in over ten years ago when he was found as young man washed up in river shore near a local Pelor monastery. He had pale white skin, silvery white hair and silvery gray eyes, only one people had such coloration; Mistwalkers. Mistwalkers is mysterious tribe living in Barisea area, in valley constantly shroud in mist which outnerves everyone who attempts enter it. Expect Mistwalkers who walk in the white shroud of the mist entire lives. There are many superstitions about the group being walking dead, ghouls, cannibals and other horrible deeds. But besides living in mist and being reclusive and unfriendly to intruders on their domain they are people who watch on themselves and are strongly defensive about protecting fellow clan members to point of death.

However, once Viscariot recovered he remembered nothing, not even his name. Also he seem had got hit on the head while pounced around in the river (he had marks of serious concussion on the head), so his speech and thinking was quite hampered. In compassion Pelorite monks, mostly retired knights, raised him in the monastery and taught embrace Pelor's ways which Viscariot (his adopted name) embraced eagerly. Showing even that somehow Pelor blesses him as he can perform minor miracles in his name despite not being a priest! Viscariot however never regained his mental faculties (or as one monk had said; he is just naturally dumb). Viscariot may not be brightest tool in the shed but he is man who knows where sharp edge of sword goes; upon evil and dig it deep and hard! He started speak getting visions from Pelor and at first monks thought he was just hallucinating but he started use the visions guide himself in combat....and provided shocking results for his monk trainers who acknowledge that they should not question how Pelor guides his faithful (albeit they would not rely Viscariot's visions to be anyway prophetic, more inspiration sort).

Viscariot left the monastery once he felt he had learned all basics he needed and went to the world, he became a wandering knight errand who is more often than not local laughing stock and a fool. However he earned his badge of valor in foolhardy charging some raiders who were attempting attack village! Occupying the single bridge which was narrow only to single man to cross and allowed go over deep strong river. He stood there, defeated every raider in the band and made them fall into river bank where they were washed up in shore and picked up by patrol of knights of Pelor who rewarded him badge of valor for his unhesitating courage and named him Hero of Riverdale. After that Viscariot got bit more respect albeit he is still considered in most bard ballads as the silly foolish knight who charges on a tree thinking it as malicious treant and upon discovering his mistake he mourns and buries said tree with full proper Pelorite sermon.

Appearance
Viscariot is very tall and muscular man standing seven foot tall and with pale skin and silvery gray eyes and silvery gray hair (which he keeps braided) and having similar colored beard in his chin. What most stands out he seems wear a dull silver colored armored scale....only few know it actually grows from his skin. Making him resilient against elements and allowing him be armored all the time. He wears regular clothing atop his scales to disguise he is wearing them (as in monastery was told it would freak people out for no reason).

He carries a silvery metal made shield emblazoned with Pelor's symbol engraved on it and carrying finely made longsword in scabbard in his waist.

Personality
Viscariot can be simply called good hearted fool or simply dumb. But a good man none the less albeit his thinking is weird and he can at times get excited like a child on matters (or be upset easily). He knows he is not bright and he more often than not laughs for his own mistakes (the few times when he realizes when he had been a fool), but he tolerates not at all someone discredit Pelor choosing him as his champion and he shakes the individual until they take words back.

He more often than not get visions from Pelor (or at least think he does) and he takes them seriously even if they may be questioned are they hallucinations done by mad mind or his daydreams.

OOC: Now, a question for GM. Should be classify dragonscale husk (a dragon magic ACF) to be occupying both armor and natural armor bonuses? But not neglect other AC bonuses (like shield, deflect, luck, dodge etc). Or would Dragonscale husk count merely as armor (which cannot be boosted) but can use barkskin spell example boost itself (or other items).

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Indisposed due to family issues made unavoidable by holiday, should have character up this weekend, I hope.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Ixy

Penn Bogues
Class: Rogue/Fighter
Race: Whisper Gnome
Background
Born off the deep roads, the Bogues family was among a tribe that thrived in the recesses of the coastal shelf, warding an easy truce with mining goblins and cobalts and taking great care to balance their destructive counterparts' expansion efforts.  When an intrepid, but clumsy, party of adventurers recklessly wiped through a sacred goblin temple in their insipid search for gold and magic, the aftermath was all-out war with the goblins who, in the adventurer's wake, sought reinforcements from the surface.  The whisper gnome's heroes were busily trying to reassert a truce while their defenders applied complex defenses-- but it was a strange alliance between the goblins and a Duergar enclave that drove the Penn family, and the rest of their tribe, to the edge of extinction. 
Penn and a few others managed to escape the last fall of their warrens, where the gray dwarves and goblins fell in relentless waves but still broke the gnomes' defenses.  Making their way to the surface, the remaining whisper gnomes tried valiantly to group new forces, but failed.  Only a child at the time, Penn watched her fellows as their company disbanded, piece by piece, after finding newer homes deep in the stone.  She had lost her faith in them, though, and broke off on her own to find a new path.
*in progress*

Appearance
Very tall for a gnome, Penn stands 4'1, with a fiercely beautiful body woven of taut muscle and sumptuous curves.  Her eyes are fiercer still-- off-putting to all but the bravest or most forgiving, for she seems to regard everyone above ground with naked contempt in her stone-gray eyes. The faint, faded scars of a short, but violent, life mar her dusky-tan complexion like coldness mars the beauty of her face.

Personality
She seems unnaturally still, unreactive to all but the most obvious social queues and outright requests. Despite her social fetters, Penn is fanatically loyal to her allies-- between her harsh glares and whispered curses, she can be open and accepting in an almost unnervingly tender way...  She listens so well, never responding except, in rare circumstances, that when she does offer a verbal response she reveals hours, or months, of careful consideration.  She is ghost-like and silent to the point that everyone, without exception, has experienced the unnerving sensation of being certain they were alone only to find Penn present, often in the most unexpected or private of moments.

Chulanowa

Good thing she's short; she'll never have to say "eyes up here, buddy"

Zaer Darkwail

With body and bust like that she may need indeed say it if her eyes are not magnetic eye to look at ;).

Ixy

I can tone it down, depending on the tone of the game, if the PC is accepted.  Otherwise, if it's not an issue, I can stay with this image/description.  Either way, I hope this game works out well :)

If this PC is accepted I would like to link backgrounds with another character... I rather imagined her being rescued from certain death by someone, or otherwise owing them a grand debt.  This would help motivate her to adventure rather than simply test herself.

I'm not 100% set on the background yet.  I need a few drinks and a cigarette or twelve to visualize it better and write it out.

Bibliophilia

I like the image, and I don't think either of the gentlemen were voicing an objection.  -giggles.-

Zaer Darkwail

Indeed, it's lovely pic and it can be easily reused on easily elf or half-elf char ;). So it's not just for gnomes. Anyways I would gladly make connection with your char Ixy with mine, if I get accepted that is.

Snake

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O