Marble Hornets and the Slenderman mythos: Terror on Youtube.

Started by ThePrince, January 20, 2011, 11:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePrince

I haven't seen this posted and because this is a forum dedicated to telling stories I thought you should all take a look at the Marble Hornets youtube channel.

What is Marble Hornets
Its kind of a cross between a ARG and a movie. The main character interacts with the audience by social media sites like youtube and twitter. However the audience doesn't contribute to the story. We just get to watch. Season 1 wrapped up in April of last year and Season 2 started last November.

Ok, so whats the story?
Several years ago, a film student named Alex began shooting a movie: Marble Hornets. The project was a bit of a train wreck, but the cast and crew gamely soldiered on. Alex became more and more unreasonable as time went by, until one day he abruptly canceled the film and left town with no explanation. His friend Jay caught up with him before he left, and convinced Alex to leave the raw footage with him. Strangely, Alex wanted to literally burn the tapes, but in the end left them with Jay.

Recently, Jay found the old tapes and decided to watch them. Right away, it was clear Alex had caught a lot more than the action of Marble Hornets on camera. Alarmed and confused, Jay started posting the videos on YouTube to document the bizarre things he was seeing.

So take a moment and turn off the lights and enjoy!

Season one episodes: each video is relatively short, but manages to get a good amount of atmosphere in there
Introduction
Entry 1
Entry 2
Entry 3
Entry 4
Entry 5
Entry 6
Entry 7
Entry 8
Entry 9
Entry 10
Entry 11
Entry 12
Entry 13
Entry 14
Entry 15
Entry 16
Entry 17
Entry 18
Entry 19
Entry 19.5
Entry 20
Entry 21
Entry 22
Entry 23
Entry 24
Entry #######
Entry 25
Entry 26

totheark's videos: After Entry 9, a mysterious youtube channel named ToTheArk begins to post really weird video responses to Marble Hornets. His motives are unknown but he clearly knows a lot more than he is telling.
Regards (Response to Entry 9)
Operator (Response to Entry 10)
Deluge (Response to Entry 11)
Impurity (Response to Entry 12
Exit (Response to Entry 13)
Program (Response to Entry 14)
Advocate (Response to Entry 15)
Addition (Response to Entry 16)
Signal (Response to Entry 17)
Messages (Response to Entry 18)
Return (Response to Entry 19)
Version (Response to Entry 20)
Attention (Response to Entry 22)
Admission (Not a Response...)
Warning (Response to Entry 23)

Season two episodes: A bit longer but a lot better as they have a little more than a shoe string budget.
Entry 27
Entry 28
Entry 29
Entry 30
Entry 31
Entry 32
Entry 33

So whats the Slenderman?
SPOILERS!!

The slenderman is a fictional monster created on the internet at first to play a prank on the paranormal websites. However its grown a story of its own. Just Google Image Search Slenderman for all kinds of fanart.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

Sabby

The Slender Man is my absolute favourite meme. I was considering posting about Marble Hornets, but I actually haven't seen it yet... I think I'll watch a few tonight.

I read somewhere that Slender Man might possibly be a pedophile, or at least a child eater, and that there is more then one.

Renegade Vic

I recently stumbled onto the Slenderman mythos myself, and thought it was pretty fascinating that someone could develop something like that.

Users TribeTWELVE and EverymanHYBRID are apparently connected to these events as well, though I've not watched their videos in their entirety yet.

I'm curious as to the theories anyone else here may have formed regarding the Slender Man, Totheark, and the events surrounding the Marble Hornets tapes. Does anyone have any insight into the matter?

Nadir

That's kindda cool. Just watched the first 'season'. It's got my horror craving going.