News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Fifty Shades of Gray

Started by deadmanshand, February 12, 2015, 11:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

la dame en noir

Quote from: Inkidu on February 12, 2015, 03:11:17 PM
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making people think he didn't exist. :P

You can't really argue what you're arguing while simultaneously telling people what they should and shouldn't get upset over.

What I mean is that people are REALLY upset over it. But I always find it strange that there are other matters to get REALLY upset over. Irritated? Yeah, losing sleep though? Probably not.

But I should know better than to come into a thread about 50 shades not feel like someone is going to be like "who the hell are you?" because I think differently.

EDIT: But I will apologize if I have offended anyone. I still do not know everyone well and I seemed to have really gotten under someone's skin. So I will let it be.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

deadmanshand

Ah... the victim play. Classic whiny bs stance to take. Never mind that you are arguing against a stance that no one in this thread has taken (Not a single person has said that this is super horrible and the worst thing ever) and using utterly flawed arguments to do so while claimingthat you aren't actually arguing. No. That has nothing to do with how people are reacting to you.

la dame en noir

Apologizing is not playing the victim. I thought you let this go? So just stop it.
A&A | FxF |

Blythe

Best to take a step back for those feeling frustrated and agree to disagree at this point, please.

la dame en noir

A&A | FxF |

The Golden Touch

I had a discussion about the examples of abuse, manipulation and stalker behavior shown in the 50 shades phenomenon yesterday. They are startlingly numerous, and I understand the appeal because I've written stories like this but there is no happy ending when these are used in a story. What bothers me, is that as a bdsm based movie- that is what they're portraying. He isn't the perfect man, it isn't a healthy relationship, I would run the other way.

It's a 50 Shades of ways I don't want my lifestyle to look like to the general public.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

deadmanshand

Quote from: Blythe on February 12, 2015, 03:34:33 PM
Best to take a step back for those feeling frustrated and agree to disagree at this point, please.

See I already did that and the response I got was more argumentative posts and a really bitch PM. So I was willing to walk away before. Now I'm amused and wanting to play.

@la dame en noir - I wasn't referring to your backtracking apology because that was edited in as I was typing. I was referring to the rest of that post. Reading comprehension is - oddly I know - a fantastically developed skill on my part.

la dame en noir

Well before you blocked me I was going to say that you seem like an intelligent person and I was only trying to find common ground because I don't want enemies...

Anyways sorry for flooding your thread.
A&A | FxF |

Mithlomwen

Quote from: deadmanshand on February 12, 2015, 03:49:25 PM
See I already did that and the response I got was more argumentative posts and a really bitch PM. So I was willing to walk away before. Now I'm amused and wanting to play.

Enough.  If the subject matter is so upsetting to you that it renders you incapable of being civil, or reduces you to snark, then it is best to walk away from the discussion. 

There is no 'being amused and wanting to play' while baiting another person. 

Either take it to PM, or leave the discussion.

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

jouzinka

Quote from: Nicholas on February 12, 2015, 01:30:01 PM
What can we expect of a plot that could have been written by a ten year old? (not the theme per se, but the shabby dialogue, the almost complete lack of plot, etc.)
Well... what can you expect of a book that came to be as a fanfiction based on a work which, if you take out the "romance," is a story about a girl that moved in to town where it rains a lot?

I thought 9 1/2 weeks was really bad as far as Lifestyle went. I feel like I should go and personally apologize to everyone involved in the making of it.

A personal gripe: Hollywood is full of super-sexy hunks and they cast this um... him? I realize they had to recast on a very short notice when Charlie Hunnam withdrew from the project 48 hours before the first shot, but man. (;>.<)

Anyway, Ellen is always the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnoZeGkhFGo
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

TheGlyphstone

Apparently Home Depot is sending copies of FSoG to its stores for employees as 'recommended work-related reading material', to better prepare themselves to answer questions and give recommendations to customers who show up looking to buy ropes and cable ties (imitating a scene in the movie where Grey buys 'supplies' at a hardware store, I guess).

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/10/fifty-shades-of-grey-staff-memo_n_6650758.html

la dame en noir

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2015, 04:03:54 PM
Apparently Home Depot is sending copies of FSoG to its stores for employees as 'recommended work-related reading material', to better prepare themselves to answer questions and give recommendations to customers who show up looking to buy ropes and cable ties (imitating a scene in the movie where Grey buys 'supplies' at a hardware store, I guess).

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/10/fifty-shades-of-grey-staff-memo_n_6650758.html

Omg...are you serious?
A&A | FxF |

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: la dame en noir on February 12, 2015, 04:04:34 PM
Omg...are you serious?

The leaked internal memo is in the news article. "Staff Briefing - Preparation for Fifty Shades of Grey Customer Queries"
B&Q have also sent copies of the book to each store so that staff can borrow, read and pass them on to other colleagues.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2015, 04:03:54 PM

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

la dame en noir

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2015, 04:05:18 PM
The leaked internal memo is in the news article. "Staff Briefing - Preparation for Fifty Shades of Grey Customer Queries"

HA! A hardware store? I can't right now...this is not a good idea. I can't believe it....I really can't.
A&A | FxF |

Iniquitous

I cannot wait till all of this has passed. I am so sick of hearing about it from the radio, the tv, and the coworkers that are practically drooling over themselves to go and see it. And with any luck, they will not be making the second or third book into movies. The steaming pile of crap that is these books is dangerous and, quite frankly, annoying to hear about constantly.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Inkidu

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 12, 2015, 04:18:23 PM
I cannot wait till all of this has passed. I am so sick of hearing about it from the radio, the tv, and the coworkers that are practically drooling over themselves to go and see it. And with any luck, they will not be making the second or third book into movies. The steaming pile of crap that is these books is dangerous and, quite frankly, annoying to hear about constantly.
I think the second movie has already been picked up. :(

Sorry to pee in your Easter basket. :(
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

if internet sources are accurate, so has the 3rd movie.

Can we hope for terrible ticket sales and cancellation of the sequels?

RedPhoenix

Ticket sales will probably suck, and the studios will interpret it as "see this is what happens when we make movies for women."

The glass is half empty. Of poison. That you just drank.

*wanders off with storm clouds over head*
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2015, 04:23:45 PM

We can't take that risk. I'm sure some publisher thought the same about the book and look how well that turned out...

I'll get the ninjas; something has to be done!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

deadmanshand

Quote from: Mithlomwen on February 12, 2015, 03:52:01 PM
Enough.  If the subject matter is so upsetting to you that it renders you incapable of being civil, or reduces you to snark, then it is best to walk away from the discussion. 

There is no 'being amused and wanting to play' while baiting another person. 

Either take it to PM, or leave the discussion.

And this is why I tried to walk away earlier.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 12, 2015, 04:25:32 PM
Ticket sales will probably suck, and the studios will interpret it as "see this is what happens when we make movies for women."

The glass is half empty. Of poison. That you just drank.

*wanders off with storm clouds over head*

At least it was only half empty, instead of less than half empty. Maybe that's a survivable dose.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2015, 04:30:08 PM
At least it was only half empty, instead of less than half empty. Maybe that's a survivable dose.

It is ... *rolls dice* ... not survivable.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Iniquitous

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2015, 04:23:45 PM

Shoot me now.

Oh, and as a side note: EL James flat out refuses to acknowledge, consider and/or discuss the fact that a lot of people see her "bdsm romance" as romanticizing abuse. She even blocks domestic violence victims so that they cannot contact her to discuss and explain what issues they have with her books.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

la dame en noir

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 12, 2015, 04:35:11 PM
Shoot me now.

Oh, and as a side note: EL James flat out refuses to acknowledge, consider and/or discuss the fact that a lot of people see her "bdsm romance" as romanticizing abuse. She even blocks domestic violence victims so that they cannot contact her to discuss and explain what issues they have with her books.

Well thats pleasant to hear.
A&A | FxF |