Dresden Files [An Interest Check]

Started by hall, April 11, 2014, 06:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JinZah

Late comer, but i'm interested.

I have a character idea i've been wanting to use in a Dresdenverse game, but it would have to be set post Skin Game by at least 5 to 6 years (which would most likely mean during the BAP) to conform to the rules here on E. Skin Game takes place 12 to 13 years after Storm Front, and for the idea to work the character would have to have been born close to that time. I mean, i guess i could have him stuck in a area of the Nevernever where time is compressed, and have him live through 7 years there, while only a few days, or weeks in the real world would pass, but i don't know if that would fly by the forum rules.

Anyway, it it doesn't wash, i can hammer out another idea.

hall

In my mind the storyline I've thought up is post-Turn Coat, pre-Changes. I'd be very hesitant to try and run a game set after a book that hasn't come out yet, if only because I like to stick relatively inside the canon. However if you put a sheet up I'm sure we could suggest some tweaks to help fit into the game that we're setting up.
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but it's always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

Requests Thread - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=144465.msg6507599#msg6507599

Rajah

Quote from: JinZah on April 18, 2014, 04:45:10 PMI have a character idea

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're looking to play a specific canon character, given the very specific timeline you're looking for?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

hall

Interesting write up, I really like the character. Personally I'd go for the secret monster hunters angles, it provides opportunity for some badass war trinkets. My one concern - is she going to get eaten within five minutes?
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but it's always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

Requests Thread - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=144465.msg6507599#msg6507599

ElvenKitten

We have a Waldo Butters :P POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!  ;D

hall

I suppose that's just my automatic thinking after playing years of Call of Cthulhu games - how long is my guy going to last before I have to roll up a new one. I see your point, balance makes a lot more sense. Shall we give it until Monday for any new character sheets to be posted? I think the player cap should be seven since that's the number that have actually expressed interest so far - any more than that would probably be beyond my capacity to cope with.

Rajah

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on April 18, 2014, 08:15:56 PM

Yeah. I don't know about the "eaten in the first five minutes thing." Do I need to give her ninja training or some sort of new age faith powers? Cause my concern so far was whether I'd be filling out a balance dynamic of personalities more than... you know, finishing up the Voltron of productive action.

Yeah. So I guess I'll turn that one over to everyone else.

Give her some kooky artifact that just can't be thrown away or a horrible demonic shadow she's been cursed with - then she's still a vanilla mortal, but has agency in the world whether she likes it or not.

TheGlyphstone

I think Rajah has a point - right now, it doesn't look like she has any motivations to actually get involved in weirdness, and all her Aspects push her away from Answering The Call. I guess Hall could have Annie repeatedly kidnapped by the monsters of the week...but especially if you go with the Heir To Monster Hunters idea, having some weird artifact in her ancestral collection that decides to bond to her could be interesting.

TheGlyphstone

Oh, absolutely. FATE Core has previous-adventure aspects that tie you to other group members - we should definitely brainstorm pre-existing connections to at least one or two other PCs, to avoid You All Meet In A Tavern.

Kadigan

If anybody's interested in coming up with a pre existing connection I'd certainly be interested in discussing. And just to clarify when I mentioned inspired by the billy goats, it was more thematic and less power based. Basically, she's Puss in Boots granddaughter..so like the three goats being real in the Dresdenverse, so was Puss, just details were changed over time and stories.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, that's what we all figured. And like the Gruffs are Faeries who have a story told about them, Puss in Boots would also be a Faerie - so she's either a Fae like the cat-creature who inspired the Puss in Boots stories, or she'd be a Changeling (half-human, half-faerie) whose father was a cat-Fae. Seeing as how faeries are immortal unless something kills them, you could make her a changeling and have the 'real' Puss in Boots be her father...seducing mortal women would absolutely be in-character for the sort of creature who would inspire those stories.

JinZah

Quote from: Rajah on April 18, 2014, 04:59:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're looking to play a specific canon character, given the very specific timeline you're looking for?

No, the character isn't canon, just something i thought up.

Basic concept is that his mother was a drug addict who was using Three Eye while she was pregnant, and that exposure left him with a kind of magic talent. The problem with this idea is Three Eye is only manufactured a few months before Stormfront, and disappears shortly afterword do to Dresden taking out the only producer. That means he'd have to be born at most a month or two before Stormfront, and a game set between Turn Coat, and Changes would take place between 10 and 11 years later. To fit within E's rules for character age, i'd need a way to make him 7 years older.

Now, there are places in the Nevernever where time moves differently than in the real world. If he found himself in one of these he could suffer a revers Rip Van Winkle effect, where he spends 7 years growing up in that pocket of the spirit realm, and when he reemerges the rest of the world has only moved forward 7 days.

Rajah

Quote from: JinZah on April 19, 2014, 01:37:37 AM
No, the character isn't canon, just something i thought up.

Basic concept is that his mother was a drug addict who was using Three Eye while she was pregnant

Well, we're 2,000 miles away from Chicago.  :P I can't imagine magic-damaged pregnancies are totally unheard of; whether another drug, a fertility ritual gone wrong, or the equivalent of black magic fallout tainting the house your character's mother lived in, it'd be fairly easy to avoid the time travel while keeping the important parts of the concept. If it has to be Three Eye specifically, maybe Victor Sells got the idea from his mentor and there's a whole dynasty out there.

Connections: Easy to map Jake and Sarah - mortal who doesn't like supernatural stuff messing with her, lieutenant Warden who doesn't like supernatural stuff messing with mortals. Same general theme applies, although perhaps more antagonistically, to Kenneth and N'emea - places where interests intersect. Perhaps his nature provides an interesting challenge for N'emea and an opportunity through adversity to build her own legend; Kenneth's patron could certainly have had designs that set Jake into motion. Alana...maybe it's best they haven't met yet. :P Or if they have, outside of their respective careers.

Savant of the Wastes

Well, it took me a while to come up with something I liked, but I think I've managed to make it work.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Character Name: Johnathan Sanders

Higher Concept: Prodigy Procurer of Potions

Aspects: Sell Anything to Anyone, Never Runs Out of Energy, "Would You Drink This Please?", Can't Resist a Challenge.

Background: Johnathan has been hanging around the supernatural scene since he was young boy. Born in New York, the young boy was dropped off at the Mother of Mercy Orphanage. The cutthroat world of New York orphans was good training for life afterwards, he learned to keep his eyes on the money, and to know the price tag of anything. It wasn't the nicest place to grow up, but he lived.

And it was there that he discovered his talents entirely by accident. One night, a janitor left an assortment of cleaning supplies sitting in a bucket of soapy water and left. Coming upon the bucket, it suddenly made -sense-. Perfect sense. He just knew how it should go. In a sudden frenzy, he began to mix up the ingredients, the dosages coming to him in flashes of insight. And in the end, he looked at the finished concoction, really looked at it, focusing his willpower on the contents of the bucket, and felt absolutely sure that it was safe. The stuff he'd thrown in was quite probably toxic altogether. But that didn't seem to be an issue.

He drank it, then put his fist through solid concrete. This, he decided, could come in quite useful. And he began to put together a business. It wasn't magic. It was simply a very effective form of herbal medicine. He was very careful. He knew that he had to hold things back. But despite all his precautions, the White Council managed to track him down, and explained the rules to him, very very clearly. As far as Jonathan was concerned, all this had done was move him up a rank in clientele.

He began to hang around the fringe of the supernatural community, cobbling up expendable supplies to anyone that asked. He would sell his wares to anyone, no questions asked. This made him very popular among some people, and very unpopular among others. Eventually, he fled New York, leaving behind a string of unhappy sorts, still looking for him.

Seattle he figures, is better. Not a lot of Wardens to get on his case, not a lot of big trouble. But sometimes, everyone needs a good apothecary.

Description: Johnathan is an energetic young man. Just about six feet tall, and slim, he doesn't seem like the most imposing individual, but he knows his way around the hazards of the city quite well, experience hard earned, judging by the chemical burns running up and down his arms. He's easy with a smile, and quite good looking in his way, though with a thick mop of black hair and dark brown eyes, he's forgettable enough to blend in with a crowd.

Jonathan is only a minor power on the grand scale of things. His magical abilities consist entirely of potions and the others sorts of alchemy. At this however, he's quite gifted. He can figure out the right ingredients for a brew on instinct, puzzling out the right recipe after a few hours of experimenting and fiddling.

Personality: Johnathan is a cheerful, upbeat soul, always brimming with energy. He tends to rush about wherever he goes, oftentimes dripping with some vile substance. He's pleasant to be around, he keeps situations light with an easy smile and breezy humor. But in the end, there is something about him that keeps people distant. He's a very mercantile person, a businessman. He will cheerfully turn around and sell his potions to your enemies as well as you. He has a few friends in the city though, and he hasn't given them any reason to doubt his loyalty. But he hasn't had anything to really test it, yet.

JinZah

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on April 19, 2014, 11:41:20 AM

Three Eye Blood Transfusion?

There's a weird science angle lurking around the Three Eye mutations thing. That's kinda neat.

I'll roll out a Your First Novel and a sample chapter today. I think what everyone got on the "she has no stake in this game" train is the aspect reference vanilla mortalhood, which maybe should have been "Mortals Can Play To," or anything that doesn't sound like she's distancing herself from the supernatural as a whole, being in denial or trying to avoid the spooky.

I still wanna Seinfeld her into mix instead of laying a hardcore maguffining on her.

Hadn't thought of an idea like that, i like it. Has me thinking of new directions to take the character. give me a little while to fill out a history, and send Hall some specifics.

hall

Savant - looks good, you're set to go.

Jin - if you can get an application up before the action starts, you should be okay too.

OOC thread - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202206.0

IC thread - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202208.0

First post is up! Let's go.