News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

Has anyone else been using Roubloff brushes?

Beorning

Re: the chemical discussion. Thanks for all the input - and Dhi, I'm astounded by your level of chemistry knowledge. Seriously, that's amazing!

Anyway, one thing I learned is: when it comes to plastic, it's best just to buy unpainted stuff, as stripping may be unpredictible.

Re: brushes. I use cheap Italeri brushes, admittedly. I'm wondering - are brushes that much of a difference? I know, a possibly stupid question, but I'd love to hear your experiences...

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: Dhi on September 23, 2018, 06:57:19 PM

... i use ones thats got bristles...?
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Pockets

Quote from: Beorning on September 23, 2018, 11:21:12 PM
Re: brushes. I use cheap Italeri brushes, admittedly. I'm wondering - are brushes that much of a difference? I know, a possibly stupid question, but I'd love to hear your experiences...

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I use synthetics for blocking in base colors and for washing, but I have some Kolinski sables for layering and blending. I use the Detcord, Bombwick Utility, and the now OG Bombwick Kolinsky sable brushes made by slowfusegaming.com/monument hobbies. Price per brush is about middle of the road, but I couldn't be happier. I'm going to be picking up the Igniters as they're a longer, fuller bodied version of the OG Bombwick Kolinsky sables. Jason has a 'Build your own brush set' where you can mix and match singles to create a 5 brush set where you can pick and choose what sizes you want across the three lines. Though honestly, I do most of my hobby shopping at slowfusegaming.com. Jason is pretty good about having Vallejo paints in stock. He doesn't carry much GW but if you really want/need a particular color or paint, he'll see what he can do. Though due to the rules in place by Privateer Press he can't get P3 paints.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Dhi

Roubloffs look like the igniters or super detail brushes from slowfuse. Great point and snap but a narrow body, they don't hold nearly as much paint as Series 7. It was an adjustment using them at first, and I've been experimenting with different paint ratios as I get back into painting this week.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Dhi on September 23, 2018, 06:57:19 PM

Cheapass art warehouse synthetics for washing and blocking, series 7 for fine detail.
My current O/os (need work)

Thorne

I have a thing no one probably wants to know about. But I'm low on my enabling quota for the week, so, here you go:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1492106834/aeon-trespass-eschaton/description
… I have some of the Nymphs from their last kickstarter. I loves them, precious...

Brushes.. um. I have some fine synthetics that I use for base coating. I find that quality does make a difference; I use a W&N Series 7 for fine detail (they hold a point better, and don't curl like the synthetics are prone to) and I picked up a.. *checks brushholder* DaVinci Maestro sable at Reapercon this year that I've not gotten around to testing. I also notice that the largest brush I'm using, barring dry brushes, is a #2 round. I default to my 0s for most things. o_O

A few years ago I grabbed a set of Micromark's dry brushes specifically for doing drybrushing, and I haven't regretted that for even a second; I use them a /lot/.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Beorning

Quote from: Thorne on September 30, 2018, 11:04:51 PM
I have a thing no one probably wants to know about. But I'm low on my enabling quota for the week, so, here you go:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1492106834/aeon-trespass-eschaton/description
… I have some of the Nymphs from their last kickstarter. I loves them, precious...

That's quite impressive! Is any of these people's stuff available outside of their KS campaigns?

On another note, I have a conceptual question: coloured armour on fantasy miniatures. I mean, like someone wearing a red or black plate armour. Does this make any sense? I don't think that historical armour has been anything but grey...

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: Beorning on October 01, 2018, 11:17:28 AM
On another note, I have a conceptual question: coloured armour on fantasy miniatures. I mean, like someone wearing a red or black plate armour. Does this make any sense? I don't think that historical armour has been anything but grey...

Actually quite common! Knights and all would paint their armor and decorate it as such, especially with things like heraldry, the "black knight" was actually a common thing where someone would paint their armor black to cover up all their heraldry to make it harder to identify them or to seperate themselves from family or what not else!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Beorning

How about other colours?

I'm asking, as I got myself this bad boy as part of my Dragon Rampant army:

He's very colourful in the GW painting scheme, but I'm wondering whether red armour etc. is something common - if not in real life, then in fantasy art?

I know that Jaime Lannister is supposed to be wearing white armour in some of his ASOIAF appearances, but that's the only case I noticed coloured armour in fantasy literature...

TheLaughingOne

Its pretty common in RL, and fantasy, just look to king arthur, the Black Knight, Red Knight, Green Knight, Blue knight, White knight, they would paint them in EXTREMELY elaborate colors that would put most miniature painters to shame. As said, they would do it in the patterns of their heraldry to represent their family, lords, or whatever, and painting served another purpose as giving a semi protective coat against things like rust, cover scrapes and scratches, and not have to spend time polishing it as much. Not to mention dulling the albedo so it doesnt shine as much and possibly give you away at a distance (likely a more minor thing, but still)
My Ons and Offs!

Thorne

Quote from: Beorning on October 01, 2018, 11:17:28 AM
That's quite impressive! Is any of these people's stuff available outside of their KS campaigns?

Metal can be enameled, or just painted, and frequently was - how /else/ were you going to tell who your allies were in the thick of a fight?

As for the Nymphs.. yes, I believe the first set is available in their store, and the lot, plus three new ones are definitely available as part of this kickstarter. The new models should become available, but will likely be more expensive picked up later.
The game setting is an interesting one. I am intrigued... but I'm grabbing minis because pretty, and useful for other things. ^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Beorning

I made some mini-research in plate armour today... Hm. It seems that, in Europe, coloured armour was rare. Usually, plate armour was just polished. There were the Greenwich armours that were made of coloured metal, but they were unique armour sets made for noblemen...

I'll have to look some more into this...

Quote from: Thorne on October 01, 2018, 12:09:25 PM
As for the Nymphs.. yes, I believe the first set is available in their store, and the lot, plus three new ones are definitely available as part of this kickstarter. The new models should become available, but will likely be more expensive picked up later.
The game setting is an interesting one. I am intrigued... but I'm grabbing minis because pretty, and useful for other things. ^^;

There is a game to go along with these minis? Hmmm! Anyway, I'll have to take a peek into this shop of theirs...

Coming back to an earlier topic - Dhi, have you heard anything new regarding Raging Heroes and problems with their resin minis? I read online that the problem you mentioned was because of some bad release agent their factory used. But they claim the problem was solved back in 2016?

Dhi

This was the state of Raging Heroes resins when I last ordered from them earlier this year. Each one came with a little paper insert warning about the mold release, and instructing how to remove it. The problem is the resin itself, no amount of cleaning removed the slick hydrophobic finish. The pieces were also badly cast, one was definitely removed from the mold too early, and one of the wings was missing. They sent me a replacement within a month.

That's really cool about painting plate mail, I did not know that.

TheLaughingOne

Found these surfing imgur...

My Ons and Offs!

Dhi

I love it! It reminds me of the historical wargame painting scene.

TheLaughingOne

I know! It makes me think of some of the Dust series stuff, though that seems to have disapeared, and this stuff is like 80 bucks on e-bay....

But damn if that isnt a pretty little scene there.. Just a quick look and your head can already start coming up with Stories of what happened...
My Ons and Offs!

Dhi

Miniature Market carries Dust, and I think they're trying to get rid of older stock. Pieces like the combat walkers were recently on sale for $12 (like 80% off) over a weekend. They will probably try to move them again over the Halloween sale or Black Friday.

It was something I thought about picking up. But, I'm starting to get a backlog again, I've been paralyzed deciding what to paint next. Everything is too good.

TheLaughingOne

*nods!* im gonna have to keep an eye out on that then! And yeah, i just started putting my tau army together, trying to be bit more methodical in building, then painting... though unsure of what color design im gonna use..
My Ons and Offs!

Dhi

Dust is going on sale this morning at 10 CST at Miniature Market, for an early Black Friday thing.

They have a strange setup where an early bird sale happens a week early to get people hyped for the main event where manufacturer pricing restrictions are lifted on board games. You probably don't care anything about the board games, right? So just grab Dust while it's 80% off.

TheLaughingOne

*wanders over to check eldritch horror  & Shadow over Brimstone expansions..*
My Ons and Offs!

Dhi

If those are price restricted, they'll go on sale on the 22nd instead. I dunno what is on what list. It's weird.

TheLaughingOne

*nodnods* hehe, id love to get some shadow of brimstone stuff... But problem there is getting a group together to play, and willing to wait through board setup....

Has some nice minis though,
My Ons and Offs!

Arkaniel

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on November 13, 2018, 05:15:50 AM
*nodnods* hehe, id love to get some shadow of brimstone stuff... But problem there is getting a group together to play, and willing to wait through board setup....

Has some nice minis though,

As is the issue I have with most board games, even simpler ones like the actual large lord of the rings board game or games like axis and allies.

TheLaughingOne

*nods* shadow isnt Too bad on set up... But its still bad. Eldritch horror needs a freaking video to explain how to set it up properly, and about a million individual containers for each set of tokens and such... SoB needs only a few hundred.

bluh.
My Ons and Offs!