News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

GOP drinking the 'No such thing as Rape' Kool Aid

Started by Callie Del Noire, August 20, 2012, 06:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

I notice nowhere is the consequences and issues discussion is slapping the 'fathers' with a lifetime of support or accountability. Or magically 'fixing' the stigma of single motherhood that these self-same groups seem to enjoy throwing out. (I notice damnable few efforts to support the victims in these speeches..it's all 'oh noes.. they are kiling de babies..we have ta save them.. what..after? That's the GIRL'S problem')

Serephino

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 23, 2012, 11:25:02 PM
I notice nowhere is the consequences and issues discussion is slapping the 'fathers' with a lifetime of support or accountability. Or magically 'fixing' the stigma of single motherhood that these self-same groups seem to enjoy throwing out. (I notice damnable few efforts to support the victims in these speeches..it's all 'oh noes.. they are kiling de babies..we have ta save them.. what..after? That's the GIRL'S problem')

Apparently, there is at least one rapist who was trying to get visitation rights after the judge slapped him with child support.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/massachusetts-rapist-seeks-visitation-victims-child/story?id=17349095#.UId8-Wfi6So
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 24, 2012, 12:32:14 AM
Apparently, there is at least one rapist who was trying to get visitation rights after the judge slapped him with child support.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/massachusetts-rapist-seeks-visitation-victims-child/story?id=17349095#.UId8-Wfi6So

Wow.. I thought a judge would have more empathy to a victim than that... what an utter tool

Trieste

Actually, I think the judge was trying to help the girl out by getting her child support in the first place. Convicted rapists should absolutely, positively have to pay child support without having ANY parental rights whatsoever - but I think the law hasn't caught up with that concept quite yet so the judge sent it over to Family Court so she could at least get some restitution.

That's how I understand it, anyway. It was a mistake, sure, but I don't think it was done out of a lack of empathy.

Callie Del Noire

You're right Trieste.. but it's damnably short-sighted in an experienced criminal judge to assume that a perp WOULDN'T try to take advantage.

Trieste

Actually, an experienced criminal judge would likely be aware that the large percentage of sexual assaults and rapes are opportunistic rather than pre-planned. What he's doing is actually a little ballsy for an admitted rapist, and - please don't get me wrong, it REALLY SUCKS for the victim - it could not really have been predicted. It's one of those things that you would normally say "Well, it's possible... but it's possible I'll be struck by lightning in the next storm, too".

And remember that news is reported on because it's not run of the mill, too.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well, what the article points out is that the judge could have ruled for the victim receiving restitution which would have amounted to child support payments.  This would have kept the situation out of Family Court and also kept the father away from claiming any rights to the child because the payments are for the harm done to the woman, not participating in parenthood.  I can only hazard a guess that the judge thought she would have a better chance at child support through Family Court or figured she might get more money in that way.  Not quite sure what the reasoning could be there.  Though I agree with Trieste, the judge probably didn’t see that one coming.

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

gaggedLouise

Nods at Mith, that weird interpretation of "act of God" even made a news splash here in northern Europe.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Pumpkin Seeds

You’d think if God wanted a woman pregnant he would present her with at least a good one night stand, not a horrific assault on her person.

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on October 24, 2012, 02:15:02 PM
You’d think if God wanted a woman pregnant he would present her with at least a good one night stand, not a horrific assault on her person.

Exactly.  Well, since (according to Mourdock) God is the only one that can create life, I'd think if God wanted a woman to be pregnant, he has the option of immaculate conception. 

......wait, that's a whole 'nother topic.  >.> 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oniya

Quote from: Mithlomwen on October 24, 2012, 02:19:16 PM
Exactly.  Well, since (according to Mourdock) God is the only one that can create life, I'd think if God wanted a woman to be pregnant, he has the option of immaculate conception. 

*looks for the 'Like' button.*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Stattick

Quote from: Mithlomwen on October 24, 2012, 12:47:47 PM
I seriously have to wonder what in the hell is wrong with people these days. 

Richard Mourdock has gone one the record for saying that if a woman gets pregnant from rape, it was God's plan.

Ah, Richard Mourdock... the only Senate Candidate that Romney's endorsed with a TV commercial.
O/O   A/A

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Mithlomwen on October 24, 2012, 02:19:16 PM

What's the Mormon stance on the virgin birth of Jesus Christ?  :D

Stattick

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 24, 2012, 03:03:36 PM
What's the Mormon stance on the virgin birth of Jesus Christ?  :D

That it was a totally legitimate... um... religious experience for the Virgin Mary.
O/O   A/A

Oniya

Just to remedy a common mis'conception' (pun intended):

The Immaculate Conception is not the same thing as the Virgin Birth.  The Immaculate Conception refers to Mary being born without Original Sin (the one that we supposedly got burdened with when Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden.)

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on October 24, 2012, 03:45:30 PM
Just to remedy a common mis'conception' (pun intended):

The Immaculate Conception is not the same thing as the Virgin Birth.  The Immaculate Conception refers to Mary being born without Original Sin (the one that we supposedly got burdened with when Adam and Eve disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden.)

Yes, aware of the distinction. Just took the virgin birth because it's the more commonly known of the two and there is some kind of relation between them.

Stattick

Romney, despite the Mourdock's assertion that women who get pregnant from rape shouldn't be allowed to get an abortion, because the pregnancy was planned by God, has refused to back down from supporting Mourdock. Romney's ad supporting Mourdock will continue to run, according to Romney's campaign.

QuoteRomney spokesperson Andrea Saul emails:

Gov. Romney disagrees with Richard Mourdock, and Mr. Mourdock’s comments do not reflect Gov. Romney’s views. We disagree on the policy regarding exceptions for rape and incest but still support him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/romney-disagrees-with-mourdock-but-still-supports-him/2012/10/24/e170a784-1df3-11e2-9cd5-b55c38388962_blog.html
O/O   A/A

Tamhansen

Richard Mourdock has gone one the record for saying that if a woman gets pregnant from rape, it was God's plan.

As detestable as i find these ideas spouted, at least they are consistent with his belief. If everything that happens in the world is god's plan, that means the rape was god's plan as well as the resulting pregnancy. Now to me it just means we're dealing with some seriously messed up deity. But you cannot imagine how many times things are done away with "Ah but it is god's plan" Basically I don't think that even if there would be a god, our current situation in this world proves that either he doesn't really have any plan, or that he/she is one truly disturbed individual/multipality.

ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Stattick

Quote from: Katataban on October 24, 2012, 04:38:24 PM
As detestable as i find these ideas spouted, at least they are consistent with his belief. If everything that happens in the world is god's plan, that means the rape was god's plan as well as the resulting pregnancy. Now to me it just means we're dealing with some seriously messed up deity. But you cannot imagine how many times things are done away with "Ah but it is god's plan" Basically I don't think that even if there would be a god, our current situation in this world proves that either he doesn't really have any plan, or that he/she is one truly disturbed individual/multipality.

Yeah. It's one of the big reasons why I cannot believe in the God of Moses and Abraham. He cannot be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent by our current definitions. Going by "ye olde" definitions, it's possible, but "ye olde" definitions acknowledges the presence of other Gods who seem to be more squared away in my book. And since I'm not Jewish, at least not by the traditional definition, the God of Abraham, according to the old ways, could give a fuck what I do. I've got a weird synthesis of Norse and Greek deities that I pray to, with the occasional Egyptian deity thrown in for good measure, on the odd occasion that I pray.
O/O   A/A

Astrofig

Quote from: kylie on August 20, 2012, 09:12:49 PM
    I wondered if it was the 'no such thing as a pregnancy without Cosmic Duty to conceive' Kool-Aid. 

No need to abort if you should have done it naturally if you really needed to....  Was that the idea?

I wonder how these fuckbals would feel about Baby Faith the zombaby---she was born anencephalic, with her skull and most of her brain missing. Her religioustard mother took her seizures and leaks and squeals of pain as 'Faith talking early!' and 'a miracle!'

Baby Faith shat herself to death bloodily at three months old.

Was she God's will? Did God ordain that her mother should be drugged and have sex forced on her, only to discover the result of that trauma was a brainless monstrosity? Is that 'the miracle of God's love'?

Bullshit. This is why I'm not a Christian.

TaintedAndDelish

My jaw dropped when I saw this on the news today. I'm embarrassed to be an American at this point. I hope he gets anally raped so that everyone can tell him to suck it up because it was god's will.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on October 24, 2012, 09:01:38 PM
My jaw dropped when I saw this on the news today. I'm embarrassed to be an American at this point. I hope he gets anally raped so that everyone can tell him to suck it up because it was god's will.

Pity he can't get anally pregnant as well.

TaintedAndDelish