[D&D5] The Last Ray of Light (Epic fantasy, Group or solo) CLOSED

Started by FragarachZ, February 10, 2015, 10:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FragarachZ

Hello E!

I've been itching to run a 5th edition D&D (link to free basic rules below) game for a while and I've been playing around with some ideas. I'm looking for 3-4 active players for an an epic fantasy game in a homebrew campaign. That is to say: it is a story of good vs evil. Good is good and evil is evil, with very little if no grey inbetween the two, and while the overall theme of the campaign and the world will be dark and filled with peril, the story will be an epic of heroes who brave against those evils... or a tragedy where the heroes fail against the tide of darkness.
The starting point of the game is nothing less than the end of the world: the evil god triumphs and all servants of goodness are killed, except for one. Breaking away from the traditional "party of same-power level heroes", there will be one character in the story who will be lower level than the others and face more restrictions, but is granted powers and magic items the others won't be able to access. These, divine in nature can be lost however, so the player must be careful. This character - with the title of "lightbearer" will be crucial to the main plot, and their death would lead to an ending where while not everyone dies, the world can no longer be saved and is eventually consumed by darkness.
The other characters will be more experienced and higher in level: like Han Solo was to Luke Skywalker, or Merlin to Arthur. They will also enjoy more freedom and of course, have chances at heroism (or betrayal?), and it will be their duty to protect their lower level comrade. In fact, only by working together can the ultimate goal be accomplished. While the lightbearer is irreplaceable and important towards banishing the big bad, their task is too monumental to undertake alone, and they will lack many skills required to succeed, having them rely on their companions and friends for help.

I have a definite idea of what I'd like this game to be like, so certain house rules and rule variants will be used (see below). The main quest will be set, but you will be free to try and solve it as you like. It's up to you to find the path to the goal.
The game will be in the NC-Exotic forum, defeated and captured characters will be at the mercy of monsters and villains who rape, pillage and murder. If victorious however, the party will be the most celebrated heroes of the world and will likely become state founders and legendary figures at the least, while the lightbearer will be either rewarded by Lux or take her place.

I'd like one player to take on the role of the last divine magic user who:
-will be hounded by the forces of darkness, to be corrupted or killed
-will have less experience with the world and fighting than the others, but receive blessings and divine items they can use
-likes to feel important
-won't quite the game halfway through
-seeks to banish evil and strive for the spiritual healing and restoration of their world

I'm also looking for 2-3 players to take on the roles of heroes who despite having no divine inspiration or powers themselves, struggle against the forces of darkness and wish to see their world freed from evil. They:
-will be higher levels than the lightbearer, being more experienced with the world
-will share the lightbearer's ultimate goal, but look for more than just stopping evil
-will have ties and connections to places, factions and people
-will go down in history as either the greatest of heroes, most vile of traitors or nameless victims among millions fallen

If there is a lack of interest or people don't feel like playing in a party where one character (though handicapped and more restricted) has more importance than the others, I'm also willing to run this as a solo game where the player takes on the role of the lightbearer, and must travel alone or find support from npcs.

Background
For a millennium, goodness and peace ruled in the land, the civilizations of the good-natured races guided by the Tablet of Lux, the colossal standing stone engraved with the commandments of the goddess of light, located in the great city of Latun.
Every year, on the winter solstice, the goddess manifests and descends from the sky, smiling on her followers and shining her merciful light on them, bringing daylight slowly back to the world at the turning point of winter. After a thousand years however, on the very holy day of her worshippers, darkness prevailed, choking the light and bringing about an age of constant twilight. The moon blocked the radiance of the sun, and the holy goddess emerged broken and defeated, as she was claimed by Tenebrax, the god of darkness, king of rape and master of all evil. The people were thrown into despair, and the monstrous forces of the destroyer emerged from the shadows, slaughtering thousands while Lux was raped by their evil overlord. As the radiant lady was stained by the black seed of her eternal rival, her followers, the Order of Light were completely eradicated. Or so it seemed, for a flicker of light remained in the darkness, a last ray of hope: a young follower of  Lux, paralyzed with fear looked on at the triumph of evil. The moment before Tenebrax's ultimate triumph, the goddess spoke directly into the mind of her last servant.

"Shadow may prevail this day, but fear not! Dawn will come and the world will be filled with light again one day. I bestow upon you, the last pure light I can muster... seek the holy relics of light, and drive away the darkness in my name..."

With the loving warmth and heavy words of the goddess came the blessing of Lux, a light that manifested both within the hands, and soul of the lightbearer... along with the responsibility and quest the radiant lady left. If there was a future for all the good races of the world, the sacred artifacts had to be recovered, but first the lightbearer had to escape the defiled ground that darkness has claimed...

Three years later...

The lightbearer has gathered companions and has mastered the blessing of Lux, the sunmaiden silent ever since her defeat and enslavement. Tenebrax and his dark minions rule across the former kingdom, and prepare to invade the other countries as well in the name of their master, eternally hungering for more... Those other countries, each of which guards one of the sacred treasures that can, only when assembled and wielded by the goddess of light or her favored, defeat the lord of darkness.

LUX, Goddess of Light and Good

TENEBRAX, God of Darkness and all things Evil

World map
http://www.mediafire.com/view/h3odjvs773ivp04/Zodia.jpg

It's a big map, and image hosting sites are being dicks. You can download the map from here.

House Rules

-All characters must be of good alignment.
-The party will know eachother at the start of the game. Being family members or romantically involved is possible, though it is hard to be lovely-dovely when everything around you seems doomed.
-Characters can be either male or female, and everyone in the world is considered bisexual unless otherwise noted.
-Experience points will not be used. Levels will be bestowed on the party at certain points of the story, and after difficult challenges. For players who like to plan their character advancement: don't expect to reach double digit levels.
-One character will be designated as the lightbearer: this character must be a first level cleric or paladin at the start of the game. Multiclassing is allowed into any class open to the other player characters as long as the character fulfills the normal requirements for that class. The lightbearer will begin with starting gold by their class, and additional equipment they obtain at the start of the game.
-Characters other than the lightbearer start at level 3, single or multiclass from the following class list: Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard. Multiclassing works as usual, but requires someone to learn from.
-The party will own a ship and its crew as the start of the game. One character other than the lightbearer may be the owner of the ship, otherwise the captain is a friend to the party.
-No day-night cycle. The world is in a perpetual twilight until divine order is restored.
-There are only two deities: Lux and Tenebrax.
-All divine magic is "good" in this game, consequently there are no clerics or paladins of other alignments. Tenebrax has warlocks instead.
-Magic originates from "evil" in this game. Other than the racial abilities of certain races (like eladrin), arcane magic comes from imitating the powers that minions of Tenebrax possess. Wizards discovered arcane magic researching the evil creatures, and devised a method to use the same sort of power without being corrupted. Sorcerers have an inner taint that allows them to use the same magic, and warlocks tap into the power of Tenebrax directly.
-There are no fey lords in this world, though celestials (servants of Lux) and fiends (servants of Tenebrax) exist. All warlocks are either infernal or star pact and as an opposite to clerics, evil aligned. For the same reason, Oath of the Ancients is unavailable for paladins.
-Bardic/song magic along with primal/druidic magic are not aligned. The former taps into the soul of creatures, the later into the spirit of the land.
-No dragonborn/drow/half-orc/tiefling characters. They don't exist and most half-orcs are about 3 years old, horrifying the world that monstrous races can breed with humans. Variant humans are available.
-No kung-fu monks, ninjas, samurai and so on. I'm sorry, but I like my western mediaval culture-based world to be such.
-Permanent magic items are all unique, and cannot be created by mortal beings, with the exception of spell scrolls and potions that require more knowledge and resources than the PCs will have access to initially. Translation: loot is found, not made.

Character creation rules are: 30 point buy, cannot purchas higher than 15 in a score. After 1st level, hit points are average gain instead of die roll. Any background and feat is allowed, but you can't pick cleric spells for the Magic Initiate feat, unless your character is already a divine caster (cleric or paladin). Please include a character picture (preferably non-manga art or photographic) with character applications/sheets!

Thanks for reading, if you have any interest please leave a reply or PM me!

P.S.: Free to download basic rules to D&D5 can be found here, I'm also happy to help with character creation for those who are interested but don't know this system.
O&O

Miroque

Elizah, the Street Urchin

Years were harsh and when the war of gods ripped through the material plane town of XXX faced its blunt force. Elizah's parents were slaughtered on the aftermath and she was orphaned to fend for herself.
Somehow she managed to find food and shelter but more that ones, she slept on dirty backalleys and ruined buildings, feeding from rats and garbage. Needlesly to say, her childhood was bleek at best.

She cant even remember the names of her parents, as she had been too young when they had died, but last year, something miraculously happend. Elizah was scavenging for scraps, when she found an halfburned and mangled silvery symbol. As she grabed the symbol and rubbed the dirt away from it, trying to estimate its value, it started to shine and in blink of an eye, she was glowing from head to toes. Soon as the light had merged, it vanished, only to leave soft hue under few broken blanks and fallen bricks. As her curiosity won, she pulled the blanks and bricks away, revealing an burried chest, filled with items long lost by someone, someone who had perished when the war hit the town. She clothed herself and equiped those treasures and for the first time in longwhile, she felt no hunger. It was like something otherworldly had filled her, soul and body.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

FragarachZ

I forgot to note the character creation process. Done it now in the opening post. Everyone is welcome though I'd like to cap this at 4 characters for easier game management and speed. More people can come if they are interested of course, in that case I'll be handpicking the applications I like, or run a solo game or two for those I can't fit into a group. For now I'm just wondering if there's even interest in my idea :)
O&O

rikka

If your old gang  from age of war manages to get the slots I still hope you could somehow shoehorn my application in your latest venture.  :-)
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

FragarachZ

Like I said, anyone who has interest is welcome. Post your character applications if you have any, so far Miri came up with a light domain cleric but nothing is fixed yet. If someone else wants to play the divine character I won't deny them a chance, so everyone can go for either the lightbearer role or the ship captain/veteran adventurers part.
O&O

Miroque

I will post my application tomorrow, after I get off from work.. got most of it down.. (Youngish human female, Street urchin, Cleric, Lightbringer), probably rescued by mr/ms X, who might work or own a ship...

rikka

Are magic-users: sorcerers, wizards, and warlocks in this world shunned and branded as evil for using magic?

Ons/Offs

FragarachZ

Warlocks are evil and shunned. Wizards are ok and sorcers too unless they do something really freakish. Like mutating into monsters or unleashing chaos by being unable to control their power.
O&O

rikka

Thalya Balworth
Appearance:

Background: Thalya always believed that magic is never evil in itself but becomes so in the hands of those who uses it for evil and selfish purposes.  However the vast majority does not share in her ideals and brands those who uses magic as evil and as servants of the evil god, Tenebrax, and only deserve to be hunted down and put to the sword.  And thus Thalya became a hermit, secluding herself from the norms of society, and retreated to an isolated forest, so that she may continue practicing her sorcery undisturbed and unopposed.   

In time she became to be known as the “Witch within the Woods”, and that anyone who enters her accursed forest is never seen again.  Of course these are out of proportion tales and rumors were meant to frighten the ordinary, and Thalya did not even dissuaded these falsehoods of continuing on in their notoriety about her, affording her more opportunity of being left alone to her devices.  She does however help those in need especially those who get lost in her forest, guiding them out with the use of her magic; or by rescuing some hapless souls from wild animals, or monsters, or from evil men like bandits, again using her magic to assist.

Thalya eventually realized that she could do more good with her magic by helping more people in other places, and decided to end her hermithood by leaving the forest that has been her home for many years and go out into the world and use her magic for the greater good.  There is another reason why she decided to leave and that is to see what has become of her niece/nephew (the lightbearer) since she only remembered her/him as a babe when she went into seclusion.

Secrets/Truths
Discovery (Hermit Feature) - During her seclusion Thalya made a startling discovery.  Through dabbling with cosmic powers, she learned of a time of great tribulation that will befall the world.  Where darkness and evil will reign unopposed and that world’s only hope lies with a sliver of light – a Lightbearer.  One who is destined to fight and turn the tide of evil and to restore peace throughout the land.  And Thalya believes that her niece/nephew and the Lightbearer are connected.  Her worst fears were confirmed when the 'Time of Twilight" overshadowed the world.  She had to find her niece/nephew as soon as possible, for she/he will definitely need her help in the Lightbearer's battles. It has been three years now, and Thalya had find the Lightbearer's whereabouts.

Ons/Offs

Togashi

Varis Galanodel

Background - "In the village of the east, a knight will ascend. The lady of light will call the emissary. The eagle star foretells sorrow. Through darkness the light will shine, and a child of the lady will rise." These words were muttered by the Prophet Ar'a, the high priestess in the city of Varis' birth. On the day of his birth the "Eagle Star," a constellation known as L'Shara, was shining bright over the village. But nothing of the rest of the prophecy came to be. Varis was raised like most of the boys in his village in the art of combat. He trained in the art of shooting arrows, sword fighting, and even learning to hide in plain sight by playing childhood games. To the Wood Elves, everything had a purpose, even games children played.

As he grew up, Varis discovered the world, and became skilled in his combat techniques. He could fight his friends, specializing in shorter swords rather than the long swords most of his companions chose. They worked for reach, while he sought a way to fight to his body's leanings. He wasn't the weaker with a bow compared to most he trained with, the best only being a little better than he was. He could shoot with the best of them, though he was more effective in a fight.

His life was satisfactory, and he was happy to be a ranger. Patroling the woods of his home, and protecting the forests from those that would intrude on the land, or take too much from the nature there. But nineteen years ago the clerics in his home village began to have visions. Some were more accurate, but it wasn't until one declared Varis the downfall of his people that he paid attention. Longtime rivals, Varis had never been friends with the cleric that called him out. They had both sought the same lady. And now the other was declaring the prophecy of the Eagle Star signifying of Varis.

After much debate, arguments, and even being socially outcast, Varis was exiled. Rather than slay him, they gave him everything he wears on his back. After several years of wandering, he made the forest his home. Befriending a black wolf, Varis decided to seek someone that might be able to reinterpret the prophecy. So he sought the city of Latun, hoping one of Lux's chosen could help him. Almost as soon as he entered the city, did the attack begin, causing his heart to sink. Not one to stand by and let these people be slaughtered, Varis put everything he had into saving as many as he could.

Animal Companion below.

Dae - Wolf
HP: 12
AC: 15
Speed: 40

Skills: Perception +5, Stealth +6
Senses: Passive Perception: 13

Keen Hearing and Smell - The Wolf has advantage on wisdom(perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Pack tactics - The wolf has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and isn't incapacitated.

Bite - Melee Weapon Attack - +6 to hit,  Reach 5 ft. One target. Hit: 2d4+4 damage. If the target is a creature it must succeed on a dc 11 Strength save or be knocked prone.

Miroque

posted my application...(I need stil time to buy starting equipments but otherwise its ready)

tuckers02

I've always wanted to try 5th ed.  Most of my experience is from 3.5 and from what I've seen of 5th it's a streamed down version of 3.5.  I'll create my character tonight.  I'm thinking of a human fighter for a tank since the other three archtypes have been covered.

Chulanowa

tuckers02

Alyssa
Background: Alyssa was the 'son' that her father never had.  First born of two girls, Alyssa grew up amidst her father's disappointment.  There was no boy to carry on the Manon name and groom into the soldier that he himself was.  And so that's what he did with Alyssa.  From an early age, Alyssa was trained with a sword and shield to follow in her father's footsteps.  At the age of 16, she 'joined' the town guard.  It was the proudest moment of her life.  If only her Captain-of-the-Guard father would have let her do anything other than polish swords and armor or shovel out the watch stables.  If she had been a boy, her father would have let 'him' go out on patrols and jobs with experienced guards to hone those skills.  But even though her father had taught her everything he knew and she had worked hard to prove herself over and over again, she was still his precious daughter whom he could never bring himself to put in danger.

That is why she left home to become a soldier on a merchant marine ship.  Despite her elite training, her relative inexperience in fighting delegated her to swabbing the deck and helping in the galley.  She had joined the crew to get away from the menial tasks only for it to be handed back to her.  But out in the middle of the ocean, where else could she go?  Plus, there were bound to be pirate attacks right?  She just had to wait it out.  Of course it had been a coincidence that their port was in Latun the day Tenebrax defeated and claimed Lux.

Most of the crew of the ship quit that day but Alyssa was not one of them.  She stayed on getting an immediate promotion for doing so.  As the ship took on new crew and old crew either left or died to the sea or pirates over the last couple years, Alyssa steadily moved up until she was finally First Mate. 

She had gotten a letter from home saying that her parents had been killed and her younger sister taken along with some bone pipes that was found in her bedroom.  Alyssa had begged the Captain to help her go look for her, but the Captain refused.  It wasn't long after that that the Captain was killed by pirates, Alyssa now becoming Captain and sailing the ship back to port.

Most of the crew not wanting to sail under a young girl with a score to settle with the monsters that took her sister so she is left with just a skeleton crew.  Fixing up the ship and rechristening it the 'Esmeralda' after her missing sister, she then went out in search of those that could help save her sister.

FragarachZ

Male characters are welcome too. Hmm, imagine a male lightbearer surrounded by all these ladies...  :P
Oops, stop fantasizing GM!

Miroque, there's been no war of the gods for 1000 years. The world was at relative peace, only facing some monster raids every now and then. This game is black and white enough not to have its heroes come from bleak and sad backgrounds. Can you work around Elizah's background a bit more?

For story purposes PCs could be either native or visiting Latun the city of miracles when Tenebrax defeated and claimed Lux. The characters are either from the surrounding area, or travelers/sea-fearers since the party will own a ship.
O&O

Togashi

So what are we doing for starting gear? I assume the light-bearer will just have the standard starting gear, but what about the people starting at level 3? Depending on how much magic is in the game, would it be possible to have magic items? I know that level 3 characters can use Uncommon magical items. If not, how much money do we start with to purchase our gear?

Also, Varis, is a male.

rikka

We're quite aware of that. Frag was just joking (I think) on the idea of your character being the lightbearer.

Ons/Offs

Chulanowa

I've gotta hit the hay now, but I'll be thinking up ideas at work!

FragarachZ

Well the picture is quite feminine and... *sigh*
Sorry, made a mistake.

Level 3 characters will have starting equipment from their class and background. What gold is included in that they can spend on mundane items and equipment. They will get no magic item to start with. The lightbearer rolls for starting gold and will be able to spend it after the game begins to assemble his or her starting gear - that's because they will receive a different magic item based on what kind of character they are.

Everyone, make sure you roll for a trinket too. :)
O&O

rikka

Ons/Offs

tuckers02

The soldier background says I get a vehicle, though it specifies land.  But if no one else gets one, I guess the boat could be mine.

FragarachZ

I don't really see a use for Abyssal in the campaign.
By the way, for ranger favored enemies you might be best off with humanoids and undead. Don't expect to fight too many demons or dragons. For terrain choices, pick as you will, I'll try to include a variaty of climates/locales as you'll sail around for a while.

tuckers02, you could be a naval soldier and pick ship instead of a land vehicle.
O&O

tuckers02

Sounds good.  I'll adjust my background above.

Otherwise I think my character sheet is finished if you'd like to make sure I didn't miss anything since this is my first time making a 5E character.

Togashi

Hey tucker, did you add your dex into your ac? Because 5th doesn't do that if it's heavy armor.

Edit: Never mind, my bad. I see how you got it there. I'm just an idiot.

ShadowFox89

Are you still accepting players? I would very much be interested, I have a few ideas.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

FragarachZ

Sure, keep the ideas coming. Still in recruitment stage here.

Any spot is open in case people would like to play a cleric or paladin. I will keep this open until Monday the 16th, then start figuring out what to do with the applications.
O&O

Miroque

Of course i can change the background but did you not say that every background option (street urchin) were ok?  And that end of the world in premiss was the horrible thing that worked as jump start for her lightbringing part.. cleric without any religion knowledge

ShadowFox89

I had a couple of ideas: Elf barbarian, drow paladin, tiefling rogue.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Togashi

You should check out the house rules. Dragonborn, Drow, Half-orcs, and Tieflings are not allowed.

Chulanowa

Shadowfox,

DM says no Tiefling or Drow (Or half-orcs or Dragonborn, which makes me a little salty...)

Looking at a Wizard or Druid, for my part. Fighter can always get the work done, as well. Hmmmm.

FragarachZ

Real quick question. I've been in a few games that use the "bad endings" thing when characters lose a fight, and it seems prevalent to just throw impossible odds at the characters in order to basically guarantee getting to that "bad ending." I just want to check and make sure that you plan to give us realistic chances  ;D

ShadowFox89

Ahhhh, that's what I get for not reading the houserules all the way. And posting without enough sleep.

Well, the ideas all can run with elves too. I just wanted to mix the races a bit in that.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

rikka

Well I'm hoping it would be more like a "you're screwed" episode, and not an actual bad end thing, wherein you get to spring back up, with possible payback, and move on with the mission or adventure.

Ons/Offs

tuckers02

I think he'll give us a fair chance to succeed if we work as a team and don't do anything stupid.

*look at the flaw I rolled*

Well, shit...

FragarachZ

Quote from: tuckers02 on February 12, 2015, 03:00:07 PM
I think he'll give us a fair chance to succeed if we work as a team and don't do anything stupid.

*look at the flaw I rolled*

Well, shit...

I read that in a Wil Wheaton voice...

I didn't plan on this to be very much of a bad end game but things will progress naturally. One thing to note is that when I wrote that Lux bestowed her last pure ray of light on the lightbearer, it was both symbolical (choosing that person as her champion, and giving them her blessing) and literal. The endless twilight on the world, after darkness has prevailed? That's because there is still a ray of light left in the world. If the lightbearer dies or is corrupted by the forces of evil, the last ray of light is lost and night will descend. At which point the world is screwed and completely overrun by monsters in about 50 years. The adventurers may still continue their quest, just any resistance they put up will be worth little in the long run. So something like that would be the bad end. Now as for the "isolated heroine captured, brutalized, violated and enslaved* that's for when you do something stupid like break off from the main group and start doing stuff on your own.

This won't be one of the games where you lose all the fights. In fact, if you lose once and get away with it, you're lucky. The point of this game is to triumph heroically.

Basically tuckers02 got it right. The stakes are high and the odds against you because this is an epic story - a short campaign in which the fate of the world is at stake. It may seem overwhelming, but heroes in epics prevail against all that, do they not?

All that said, if your character falls and you'd like to have a bad end scenario... I'm not entirely against it  O:)
O&O

tuckers02

Lol.  Being a fan of Tabletop, I so visualized that FragarachZ.

Quote from: FragarachZ on February 13, 2015, 12:23:06 AM
...that's for when you do something stupid like break off from the main group and start doing stuff on your own.

Quote from: Flaw
"My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning"

With an Int of 9, this character is going to be a lot of fun to play :p

Togashi

Well considering the average person has an Int score of about 8 you aren't exactly stupid. But there is nothing to say anyone will REALLY be alone. Though Varis will likely only stay near the lightbearer. Even if he can't be seen.

FragarachZ

Still looking for interest in this. I'll take people/characters this weekend and the first bit of next week. Unless there's more people applying we'll kick the game off with the four we've got so far.
O&O

Far eyes

Hello

I would be interested in joining up if you still have space
I was considering something like a Bard with a more martial nature
If that dos not work i could do a Paladin of some nature, i have been wanting to do one and never got around to it for years now.

Edit: Probably human in both cases maybe elf
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Muse

Working on an aplication for the Lgiht Bringer.  What should I name this girl?

Is this a good picture? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

tuckers02

Muse

*Smiles*  Nice.  I went with Aria. THanks you for the feedback.  :)

tuckers02

rikka

Katrina.

But it looks like you already figured out what to call her.

Picture looks good, makes her what she would look like when finally well established as the Lightbringer or Lightbearer

Frag, what do you intend to do with multiple applications for the lightbringer position?

Ons/Offs

tuckers02

I wonder if he gets 2 lightbringers and 6 other characters if he's going to have two separate parties.

ShadowFox89

Hmmm... would an assassin rogue work? Not so much a murderer for hire but someone who is very skilled as a sniper.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

rikka

Quote from: tuckers02 on February 14, 2015, 06:07:02 PM
I wonder if he gets 2 lightbringers and 6 other characters if he's going to have two separate parties.

An interesting idea.  The other group serves as Lux's backup plan should anything happen to the first.

Ons/Offs

FragarachZ

Assassin rogue works as a sniper - there have been plentie of beasties to in the last 3 years for the heroes to fight off after all.

If there are 2 lightbearer and 6 others applying it might be 2 groups yes, but they'll run entirely paralell, not within the bounds of the same story. There is no backup plan for Lux. You all are her only backup plan.
If there is less than two groups, I'll handpick people based on character concepts and post qualities. If there is one full group and maybe 1-2 more people, if they agree the second game can be a solo game or it can be just them in that second group?

Quote from: Far eyes on February 14, 2015, 01:54:37 PM
Hello

I would be interested in joining up if you still have space
I was considering something like a Bard with a more martial nature
If that dos not work i could do a Paladin of some nature, i have been wanting to do one and never got around to it for years now.

Edit: Probably human in both cases maybe elf

Either one is good to go, just post your backstory and character sheet for them. You could even submit both - though obviously only one can get picked into the game.

This goes to the others as well: if you want, you can submit a lightbearer application and an adventurer application (though only one will be selected for the game)
O&O

Far eyes

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

ShadowFox89

I'll have something up after work.... Assuming I don't end up sick and stay home anyway x_x

I found an interesting combo with Sharpshooter and Assassin that I want to try out. The way it is written, you can easily sit at long range and pepper someone with arrows. At third level, you can do a not insignificant first round alpha strike.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

rikka

Quote from: FragarachZ on February 14, 2015, 10:36:02 PM

If there are 2 lightbearer and 6 others applying it might be 2 groups yes, but they'll run entirely paralell, not within the bounds of the same story. There is no backup plan for Lux. You all are her only backup plan.
If there is less than two groups, I'll handpick people based on character concepts and post qualities. If there is one full group and maybe 1-2 more people, if they agree the second game can be a solo game or it can be just them in that second group?

Well good luck to us all then.  But it seems we'll get our chance to play in this campaign, one way or the other.

Ons/Offs

Far eyes

Name: Anna Belmont

Anna dos not look like divine wrath incarnate, in fact she looks more like a tiny curvy woman in her late 20s perhaps like a favorite aunt that never quiet got around to marrying because she was always a bit silly but always fun to visit with a cake or some other sweets to be had, warm sweet milk on a cold day and a good stew. This is mostly because she was with no grater ambition then to live her life in peace and to see the children of her 2 sisters and one brother grow. She would have been content in this life but for one day when catastrophic came to her small community, evil of a real nature armed wild brigands as good as monsters. They came to her small community and the few armed men stood no chance to protect the little town what did they know of martial craft or the way of war they were farmers. And worse could have happened, until the tinny slightly silly aunt picked up a sword and slew 10 armored men almost without stooping for a breath.

After that Anna was still her self, but not quiet she still enjoyed those things she did always she still liked to see her brothers and sisters boys grow but she herd the call and had to answer.

Class: Fighter
Race: Human
Martial Archetype: Battle Master
Background: Nobel (Though a very low lesser kind like poor land nobility)

Words: "When good men do nothing evil thrives" 

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=92966

A/A

rikka

To recap now we have two running for the Lightbringer slot if that is correct. And four players for the companions of the Lightbringer.

Far eyes -  Anna Belmont, Paladin (Lightbringer?)
Muse - Aria, Cleric? (Lightbringer)
Miroque - Elizah, Cleric (Lightbringer)
rikka - Thalya Balworth, Sorcerer
Togashi - Varis Galanodel, Ranger
tuckers02 - Alyssa, Fighter
Autocad - Evelynn Anastasia, high elf Wizard

Ons/Offs

Far eyes

Personally i always prefer DnD parties be a little bit bigger then 3 people but that's mostly personal preference.

On a slightly different note, if anybody wants to be a relative of Anna give me a poke

A/A

Muse

Um...  Eyes, I'm pretty sure all the paladins are dead.  ^_^;; 

Chulanowa

I'm gonna have a Wizard or druid in as well. i know I said that already, I've just had my brain caught in something else and haven't been able to apply it. But that's what tomorrow is for!

Autocad

rikka

Quote from: Muse on February 15, 2015, 06:18:27 AM
Um...  Eyes, I'm pretty sure all the paladins are dead.  ^_^;;

Unless he's running for the Lightbringer position.

Ons/Offs

Muse

Far eyes

Quote from: rikka on February 15, 2015, 06:48:45 AM
Unless he's running for the Lightbringer position.

I dident read anything from the game setting that would indicate that paladin was not avalibe, neither from the GMs replay to my initial post and no i have no interest in the light-bringer spot i was looking more for a protector type roll

A/A

rikka

Quote from: FragarachZ on February 10, 2015, 10:46:44 AM
Hello E!

House Rules

-All characters must be of good alignment.
-The party will know eachother at the start of the game. Being family members or romantically involved is possible, though it is hard to be lovely-dovely when everything around you seems doomed.
-Characters can be either male or female, and everyone in the world is considered bisexual unless otherwise noted.
-Experience points will not be used. Levels will be bestowed on the party at certain points of the story, and after difficult challenges. For players who like to plan their character advancement: don't expect to reach double digit levels.
-One character will be designated as the lightbearer: this character must be a first level cleric or paladin at the start of the game. Multiclassing is allowed into any class open to the other player characters as long as the character fulfills the normal requirements for that class. The lightbearer will begin with starting gold by their class, and additional equipment they obtain at the start of the game.
-Characters other than the lightbearer start at level 3, single or multiclass from the following class list: Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard. Multiclassing works as usual, but requires someone to learn from.
-The party will own a ship and its crew as the start of the game. One character other than the lightbearer may be the owner of the ship, otherwise the captain is a friend to the party.
-No day-night cycle. The world is in a perpetual twilight until divine order is restored.
-There are only two deities: Lux and Tenebrax.
-All divine magic is "good" in this game, consequently there are no clerics or paladins of other alignments. Tenebrax has warlocks instead.
-Magic originates from "evil" in this game. Other than the racial abilities of certain races (like eladrin), arcane magic comes from imitating the powers that minions of Tenebrax possess. Wizards discovered arcane magic researching the evil creatures, and devised a method to use the same sort of power without being corrupted. Sorcerers have an inner taint that allows them to use the same magic, and warlocks tap into the power of Tenebrax directly.
-There are no fey lords in this world, though celestials (servants of Lux) and fiends (servants of Tenebrax) exist. All warlocks are either infernal or star pact and as an opposite to clerics, evil aligned. For the same reason, Oath of the Ancients is unavailable for paladins.
-Bardic/song magic along with primal/druidic magic are not aligned. The former taps into the soul of creatures, the later into the spirit of the land.
-No dragonborn/drow/half-orc/tiefling characters. They don't exist and most half-orcs are about 3 years old, horrifying the world that monstrous races can breed with humans. 
-No kung-fu monks, ninjas, samurai and so on. I'm sorry, but I like my western mediaval culture-based world to be such.
-Permanent magic items are all unique, and cannot be created by mortal beings, with the exception of spell scrolls and potions that require more knowledge and resources than the PCs will have access to initially. Translation: loot is found, not made.

Unless he'll say otherwise.

Also his reply indicated the assumption you're going for both lightbearer and non-lightbearer applications.

Ons/Offs

Far eyes

Oh.. hmm i must have read that together, somehow assumed the light-bringer thing was cleric only i guess because everybody was picking cleric for it. Am well snap... i kind of like my paladin but i really have no interest in light-bringer

EDIT: I guess if we cant do paladin i will go fighter....  though i really kind of wanted paladin

A/A

Autocad

Evelynn Anastasia
High Elf Wizard

Quotes:

"Once upon a time, in another lifetime, I dealt in the finest silks and spices, to those with the most refined tastes. Today, I deal with the most faithful servants of Tenebrax, in the most exquisite means of death and destruction."

"Hark! One last banner unbowed in the sky.
So long as Eagle sings his freedom cry,
For this eternal truth we fight and die -
Dulce et decorum est pro lux mori!"

Background:

Centuries ago, a young elf fled home and signed up aboard a merchant vessel. Over the years she worked her way up, under different traders and different vessels, from a lowly cook's mate, to ship's officer, and finally to captain of her very own ship. She finally saved up enough gold and gathered enough financial backers to strike out on her own as an independent trader, dealing in the trade of exotic goods between shores near and far. There were a few setbacks along the way, but she recovered from each one the wiser from the experience, and eventually managed to form her own trading company with her own modest fleet of merchant vessels.

With wealth came the ability to pursue a hobby, and Evelynn discovered natural philosophy. As company owner she no longer needed to take to the seas personally, having captains to sail her ships, but still she would travel along on voyages of commerce to distant lands, where besides the business of buying and selling she also studied and made extensive notes of foreign flora and fauna.

Then the terrible day of Lux's fall came, though Evelynn was fortunately away from Latun on voyage at the time and managed to escape the worst of it personally. The writing on the wall was clear to her, though - long decades of trade had given her the ability to predict future prices, to an extent that seemed almost clairvoyant to the layman, and she could see that under Tenebrax's regime life would be cheap and mercy unable to be bought, not even for a mountain of gold. The elf still had many years of natural life ahead of her, and even if they weren't cut short, living them out in unending darkness was definitely not on her agenda, she decided.

In her voyages she had met many foreign merchants, many of whom had a trick up their sleeve she had not seen before to come out on top in a transaction - tricks which she had learned and applied herself to great effect afterwards. The minions of Tenebrax were no different, they had ways, powerful ways indeed, to overthrow the forces of light, but their methods could be learned and turned back against their own. Capturing monsters was an expensive proposition, and maintaining their imprisonment even more so, but she viewed it as a worthy investment. After three years of study into the evil creatures' ways, utilizing all the tools and skills she had acquired from dabbling in natural philosophy, Evelynn finally did it - she could wield Tenebrax's own weapons against his servants, the power of arcane magic at her fingertips. It was costly, a single ship remaining of her fleet, the others sold off over the years to fund her research, but such was the price of power.

Now she only needed to find others like herself, who were willing to do what must be done, to defeat Tenebrax, restore Lux, and return the future to the land...

tuckers02

Hey Autocad, Since both of our characters served on a merchant ship, maybe they served together.  That way if we're in the same party one of us was serving under the other.  Since you specifically want captain and I didn't care but would have a ship if no one else did, I would be happy to have Alyssa serving under her.  Or maybe Alyssa is the captain of one of the ships in her fleet.

Autocad

How about Evelynn is the ship owner and Alyssa is the captain who actually sails the vessel?

Heh, serving under her...

tuckers02

FragarachZ

Quote from: rikka on February 15, 2015, 08:49:21 AM
Unless he'll say otherwise.

Also his reply indicated the assumption you're going for both lightbearer and non-lightbearer applications.

This. What I meant by applying to both roles is that you can submit more than one character. The lightbearer is level 1 though, lackignin experience compared to the others. There are no other divine characters anymore, the rest of the clerics and paladins are dead or powerless. If you want to play one, they will start at first level being the lightbearer. Lux has no more power than to support one faithful with spells and abilities, and she'll do so with the one who hold the last spark of her uncorrupted essence.
O&O

Far eyes

Quote from: FragarachZ on February 15, 2015, 12:36:47 PM
This. What I meant by applying to both roles is that you can submit more than one character. The lightbearer is level 1 though, lackignin experience compared to the others. There are no other divine characters anymore, the rest of the clerics and paladins are dead or powerless. If you want to play one, they will start at first level being the lightbearer. Lux has no more power than to support one faithful with spells and abilities, and she'll do so with the one who hold the last spark of her uncorrupted essence.

Yes i gathered as much once it was pointed out, i have light dyslexia and sometimes i read what i expect to read and not whats there. I was a bit in a hurry and a bit tired when i wrote it up so i blame that. But i think the best solution would just be for me to make her a fighter instead. Unless the group could use a bard type more.

A/A

Chulanowa

Della "Sparrow" Pelgrenn
NG Human Druid of the Forest Circle

Della never knew her true parentage. According to her adopted parents, they found her as a babe, swaddled in a rough wool blanket amid the barley during harvest season. No woman in the village had been carrying, and the village elders had no better ideas, do Dorf and Mae Pelgrenn took the little girl into their lives. Three months later, a trio of men came from the Iarthwood to visit the Pelgrenns; one in robes of green, another in a black cowl, and the third wearing little enough to make Mae's cheeks burn. of course one did not displease the Watchers i nthe Woods, so when they asked to see the girl, the Pelgreens turned her over for their inspection. As abruptly as htye had arrived, the three men leeft, speaking in their odd language.

It was naught but an odd bit of gossip for hte village, those first few years. Della grew as any peasant girl might, tending chickens and helping glena hte fields after harvest, spending winter twining wool and feeding the cattle. By accounts, she was growing into what would be a fine woman, sensible and solid, if a bit on the wild side. But that's just as some children are, the saws would note.

On the eve of her tenth birthday though, the men came again, looked as though htye had not aged a day. Once again, they demanded an inspection... when Dorf balked at letting the woodmen examine the child he had come to know as his daughter and menaced the men with a hay fork, they eldest-seemign of htem simply sent him spinning with a gust of wind. partly out of fear for her father, and partly out of a strange yearning, Della stepped forward. When these rough elders concluded their examination and conferred among htemselves... she understood them.

Della left with them  that evening, against both her wishes and those of her parents. The dark rumors that the girl was to be used in strange rites and sacrificed to wolves was quickly hushed by the elders, but whispers persisted. As days dragged into weeks, months, and htne years, it was simply assumed that della's fate had ben found at the bottom of one of hte iarthwood's sticky bogs. Though htye mourned, Dorf and mae had little option to go about their lives.

The truth was... quite a bit different. There were wolves, and bogs, and strange rites of course... but Della had been chosen to join in, to root herself in the soil of hte forest, to dance among hte animals and sing into the sky. of course at first hte girl was terrified - they always are. The stern guidance of the archdruids was a terrifying ting for the girl, but once she figured they meant her no harm, it was much easier. do these shores. Carry this message. sit, and listen to this story. learn which mushrooms are good for food, which are poison, and which are for rites. tell animals by the faintest pawprint, feel the roots grow beneath hte soil.

Ten years she spent as an apprentice, traveling the wildernesses far from her homeland. Finally she was given a true initiation, and allowed ot determine her own path. Though she was warned that ten years was a long time and her family may not welcome their 'dead daughter' back, she decided that would be her first mission. Along hte way was the winter solstice celebration of latun and... well...

Three years later, the world is deeply unbalanced. Monsters rule, the trees scream for sunlight, and beasts prey on each other. Though druids do not bond htemselves to the gods - gods are fickle, mad beings whose whims defy the order of hte world - it's enough to recognize that the triumph of evil over good can only lead to harm. Della - calling herself Sparrow - has taken with a group of others now, seeing one final chance to restore light to the fallen world.

Personality: Sparrow is a plan enough peron, as far as she figures it. An orphan raised as a farmgirl and trained by the druids, she's an odd mix of worldly and naive. While able to read people (and animals) fairly well, but still socially awkward and a little graceless. Even in the face of the current darkness, she maintains a sliver of cheer, even if tinged by fatalism - even if Tenebrex "wins," there are powers beyond simple deities he has to contend with.

Sexuality: Totally inexperienced. She harbors a mix of girlish romanticism about love and romance... and also a streak of bare practicality regardign sex. But she's been a bit busy, over all this time, see...

rikka

Far eyes -  Anna Belmont, Fighter?
Muse - Aria, Cleric? (Lightbringer)
Miroque - Elizah, Cleric (Lightbringer)
rikka - Thalya Balworth, Sorcerer
Togashi - Varis Galanodel, Ranger
tuckers02 - Alyssa, Fighter
Autocad - Evelynn Anastasia, high elf Wizard
Chulanowa - Della "Sparrow" Pelgrenn, Druid

Guess we have a perfect complement of two groups now.  :-)

Ons/Offs

tuckers02

FragarachZ

That is entirely up to you guys ;)

I was hoping for a more balanced group of male/female heroes, but I guess I'll have to do with this. I'll handle it somehow I guess :)
O&O

tuckers02

Inerrant Lust

Looks interesting.... and I want to play around with 5e a lot more lately... but it seems like you're quite full on up as it is.  :-\

FragarachZ

You're welcome to submit a character, Inerrant. In a day or two I'll pick what PCs I like and we'll start up one or two groups of lightbearer+3 adventurers.

What role/character do you have in mind?
O&O

Inerrant Lust

Not sure yet. Probably male, since there's quite a few females as it is. :P I have to say paladin is my favorite class, though it seems that's off the menu what with it being absent for non-lightbringers and what with having two applicants already.. I would actually like to take the role of the more vulnerable character (A male paladin that is eager to charge headlong into battle against the wishes of his stronger and more wizened companions appeal to me) but I don't want to try and compete for a niche that someone else is interested in...

Other than that, options seem a bit.. limited. Maybe a fighter, but honestly any other character strongly depends on who I would be playing in support of. I would try and make my character a good match to the lightbringer. So I haven't read everyone else's stuff yet but yes, it would really depend on who I am playing with. That's why no other ideas are coming to mind as easily. :P

FragarachZ

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on February 16, 2015, 02:52:22 AM
Not sure yet. Probably male, since there's quite a few females as it is. :P I have to say paladin is my favorite class, though it seems that's off the menu what with it being absent for non-lightbringers and what with having two applicants already.. I would actually like to take the role of the more vulnerable character (A male paladin that is eager to charge headlong into battle against the wishes of his stronger and more wizened companions appeal to me) but I don't want to try and compete for a niche that someone else is interested in...

Other than that, options seem a bit.. limited. Maybe a fighter, but honestly any other character strongly depends on who I would be playing in support of. I would try and make my character a good match to the lightbringer. So I haven't read everyone else's stuff yet but yes, it would really depend on who I am playing with. That's why no other ideas are coming to mind as easily. :P

I actually like that paladin idea. And no, I won't pick everyone who applies so I encourage everyone to make characters they really like to play and have fun rping. Go ahead and submit either either you want. It might be more interesting to run two groups if one has a cleric and the other a paladin, hmmm.
O&O

Inerrant Lust

Writing up something now, but I have to go to the store. :P

I am thinking human, scores.. 14, 12, 13, 12, 9, 15.. Though are you allowing the human variant (one extra skill, one extra feat?) Because then I might drop a point from dex and add it to wisdom... though having a negative wisdom modifier might be interesting. I figure he was very young when he witnessed the fall of Lux and his subsequent selection of his role as the next lightbringer. I think he was an acolyte training to be a paladin or something when Lux fell and he somehow escaped, so I think he will feel personally indebted to her for this great honor bestowed upon him. As such, he will strive to 'prove' himself worthy of her faith in him, so he will not shirk from combat. After-all, in his mind, what good is a lightbringer if they don't actively champion Lux's cause? :P

So he spent quite a few years gathering up the party, and might be about 17 years old when the game starts. As a result, he has focused all his mental energies into this task and is a little naive about other things. Ie; he has trouble seeing things outside the frame of his 'mission', so he has low wisdom. I can't decide if I want it to be 9 or 10.. whether his wisdom is just 'average' compared to the other party members or whether he's even less wise than your standard commoner. ;)

So yeah, he's a little immature. Perhaps too eager and brash to bring the fight to Tenebrax and his minions.

I am inclined to make him somewhat short, blonde, and handsome. Pretty to look at, but not very bright. Well, he'll have decent intelligence, but he's just naive. Suddenly I am reminded of this image...

If I had the time, I would draw the character myself, but I am perusing through others.. and this seems like the best bet, but he looks much too severe. My character will likely not flinch from plunging himself headlong into combat... but is absolutely doe-eyed when it comes to worldly things. I am inclined to believe that in the years he spent gathering up the party, someone may have been taking care of the practical things for him while he was just the living symbol of Lux's persistence. Perhaps one of the PCs. :P

That being said, he should mature and develop over the course of the game.

FragarachZ

Variant humans are allowed yes, and let's keep everyone at adult age, just in case.

He might have been 17 when Tenebrax won, and now 3 years later he finally is a paladin?

Also, it's lightbearer.
O&O

FragarachZ

I'd like to ask everyone who already posted interest/applied for the game to finalize character sheets and backstories by Tuesday night. I will check all the characters on this Wednesday (Feb.18.) and assemble them into groups, hopefully kicking off this campaign.
O&O

Far eyes

A/A

FragarachZ

Most people use mythweavers, so let's all go with that.
O&O

Far eyes

Ok registered there, am i missing something it dos not seem they have a 5e sheet

A/A

Inerrant Lust

Oof. Must be thinking of a certain Baratheon's sword...  ::)

I am rather fond of the idea of my character being pretty young at the time he learned of his supposed destiny- maybe fourteen or so, though I can easily make him a twenty year old at the start of the campaign. It depends on whether or not it would make sense for your story that there's been that six year gap between Lux's fall and the start of the campaign.

Far eyes, try the alpha version of the sheets page. ;)

tuckers02

Quote from: Far eyes on February 16, 2015, 02:59:29 PM
Ok registered there, am i missing something it dos not seem they have a 5e sheet

I had to search for the 5e sheet to but it's there.

Far eyes

Rally.
On your turn, you can use a bonus action and
expend one superiority die to bolster the resolve of one
of your companions. When you do so, choose a friendly
creature who can see or hear you. That creature gains
temporary hit points equal to the superiority die roll +
your Charisma modifier.

Random question from the GM, am i my self a "Friendly creature"

A/A

FragarachZ

No. Abilities that specifically affect allies or friendly creatures don't work on you unless the text states so.
O&O

Far eyes

A/A

rikka

Added additional notes on Thalya's application and character sheet.

Ons/Offs

Chulanowa

Sorry to do it, but i'm actually going to have to step out. I have more on my plate at the moment than I thought  :-\

Maybe next time!

FragarachZ

Sorry to hear that Chulanowa. Hope you have a good time with everything else on your plate!
O&O

Inerrant Lust

Anything I should know before I start making the crunch in earnest? Don't have much at the moment but I've always preferred to nail down the fluff before moving on, so I would like to know if there's any issues before then. ;)

FragarachZ

Crunch away. If possible do make him at least 18yo though, else all the succubi and shadow temptresses will be sad.
Ah, and as the lightbearer you get starting gold instead of initial equipment from background and class... do roll for a trinket though. The first post of the game will detail how you lost all your stuff in Latun, and basically you had to assemble your posessions anew, knowing what you were already given by Lux... which you won't know until the game starts, so. Basically, you'll shop at startup since the last brush of character creation for you will be during the story.

I wrote the most important things in the opening post so if you read that you're good. One thing I forgot to note initially was that variant humans are available, so if someone playing a human wants to pick the feat choice over the balanced ability boosts, they can still go back and alter their character.

I expect this campaign will take the adventurers up to around 7th level, and the lightbringer lightbearer to 5th. Damn, now you guys had made me start doing. Grr. *notes down "Tarrasque with balloons" on a piece of paper*

O&O

Far eyes

Quote from: FragarachZ on February 17, 2015, 12:19:03 AM
I expect this campaign will take the adventurers up to around 7th level, and the lightbringer lightbearer to 5th. Damn, now you guys had made me start doing. Grr. *notes down "Tarrasque with balloons" on a piece of paper*

Dont do it or i will start an alignment discussion :P

A/A

tuckers02

Did they ever fix the obvious flaw in the Tarrasque that was in 3.5?  I've always wanted to baleful polymorph the tarrasque into an immortal/invulnerable puppy.

Togashi

Well a number of times a day it can fail a saving throw, and then choose instead to succeed. It also has some magic immunity and reflectionabilities. I would say it got fixed.

FragarachZ

It's been more terrifying before. It was demoted from "almost godzilla" to "big monster" level.

...if only it had a breath weapon and judo moves.*sigh*

Don't worry though, you don't have to deal with the tarrasque here. You only have to banish the god of darkness.
O&O

Far eyes

A/A

FragarachZ

Tomorrow I'm assembling (hopefully two) groups with the characters.

So far I have the sheets for:

Evelynn (abjurer wizard) - Autocad
Thalya (wild mage sorcerer) - rikka
Varis (beast master ranger) - Togashi
Alyssa (champion fighter) - tuckers02
Anna (battlemaster fighter) - Far Eyes
Al'Rhayel (circle of the moon druid) - Miroque

Muse and Inerrant Lust, please post the links for the filled out mythweaver character sheets here or send them to my PM box ASAP. Posting your characters backstory would be good as well, so the other players can think about how they'd join up, relate to your lightbearers. Once I have your sheets, we have two groups of four heroes ready to save the world (hopefully).

Everyone, please double check your sheets, see if you calculated your hit points and AC correctly, if you have a trinket, if your bonds, flaws, and character personalities match your character alignment. At the start of the game, the party will already be together for some time, and we will begin on the group's own ship.

And now, bedtime for me~

*dreams of epic challanges that await the heroes*
O&O

Miroque

Al'Rhayel, Acolyte of the Moon Mysteries. Girl with feral eyes, known to stalk prey with pack of mountain lions. Local populance knows about the coven of witch women at the forest, and know better not to enter their domain, without being invited to do so, or to bring gifts.

Last few years, the number of large felines have been twingling as more and more men cut the trees. Outside the forest, where mens rule the kingdoms of man, End of the world happened. The moon was locked into never ending Eclipse casting the world into twilight. Cult of the Moon rejoiced, until the event never ended. Sure, their powers were multiplied by the never ending full moon, but as the moon was full, their feral side toke over and never left. Being natural shapechengers, their power was almost like those cursed by lychantrophy.

Now, Al'Rhayel seeks ways to return the natural order, by force if nothing else helps, fighting the feral instincts day to day.

rikka

One character with a ship should be for each group unless the GM role-plays the other group's captain.

Ons/Offs

Far eyes

A/A

tuckers02

Far eyes

A/A

tuckers02

Miroque

FragarachZ

Looks like we are still waiting on our lightbearers a bit. *groan*
Would you people start with one and have a few people not participate, or wait until we have both (might be a few more days) but get everyone into a group?
O&O

Miroque

*thinks* How can we start without lightbearer? Isint s/he the sole reason the group(s) are together...

FragarachZ

We will get one shortly but the other will be delayed it seems.
O&O

rikka

For me either way is fine.  But that would mean one group will really be delayed.  Question is who would be lucky ones who'll get to start first.

Ons/Offs

tuckers02

Autocad

Okay, I've touched up Evelynn's personality and rolled for a trinket as well. A blank book that can't be written in...

I have a confession: Evelynn probably doesn't meet the definition of good alignment, the way she is now, focused on what benefits herself and not others. So, the more I think about it, the more I feel she's actually closer to neutral than good. But, she's also intelligent, and realizes that in order to benefit herself in the long run, Tenebrax needs to go, which is why she wants to work with the lightbearer. A very the-ends-justifies-the-means character, who has her eyes on the goal, and little patience for diversions that don't contribute to achieving said goal.

I hope that's acceptable...

FragarachZ

I hope you guys aren't counting magic item bonuses... :p

And Autocad, maybe that's what Evelynn was like but now she's learning from the lightbearer's example?
O&O

Miroque

tuckers02

Autocad

I think it'll depend on the lightbearer's example too!

By the way, what's the starting gear for the non-lightbearers? Same as a level 1 char?

FragarachZ

Quote from: Autocad on February 18, 2015, 04:26:56 AM
I think it'll depend on the lightbearer's example too!

By the way, what's the starting gear for the non-lightbearers? Same as a level 1 char?

Yes, based on the selection your background/class offers.
O&O

Far eyes

Well the good thing is 5e dos not really make to meany assumptions about your bling/level

A/A

Inerrant Lust

Sorry for the delay. Some personal stuff came up, but I should finalize everything today.

As an aside, I rolled for a trinket and got...

The shell of an egg painted with scenes of human misery in disturbing detail.

...A fucking behelit.

In any event... Voila

Norton would never expected to have such a destiny as this. He was a paladin in training, an acolyte in the great temple in Latun. He did not have much martial training, instead being hounded by the priests to read more of the histories and to memorize prayers and rites. He did not want to be some bookish scholar or cleric all his life. Ever since he was determined as blessed enough, deemed worthy of becoming a squire to the Order of Light, Norton's young mind was filled with dreams of slaying fell beasts and evil wizards, the minions of Tenebrax.

He was impatient, and too often wished to learn how to fight instead of following his instructors. It was only by chance, then, and his own mischief, that Norton was spared the scouring of the Order of Light. He was separated from his companions on that day, though he still witnessed the chaos first-hand. On the day of the winter solstice, when the radiant lady deigned to grace her worshipers with her divine presence... Tenebrax appeared instead, with her conquered underneath him. Norton wanted to rush to her aid then, to die alongside the men who would soon call him brother. But by chance, he was spared... and gifted with the radiant lady's final words;

"Shadow may prevail this day, but fear not! Dawn will come and the world will be filled with light again one day. I bestow upon you, the last pure light I can muster... seek the holy relics of light, and drive away the darkness in my name..."

Only fifteen, Norton did not know what to do. It was all too much, and the sheer consequence upon his every action weighed down upon him until despair and the burden of responsibility paralyzed him. He was taken from that place, rescued by the most unlikeliest of people. This would become his first companion as the lightbearer. The following three years were spent training himself and finding other companions, those who will help him in his quest to restore the radiant lady to her rightful place in the sky.

He was eager to begin. The sight of the moon sickened him, reminding him of that terrible day. Much of his efforts were focused on the realization of his destiny, the readeption of Lux. He consumed himself in research, hoping to find a means of accessing the holy relics, a means of defeating Tenebrax and his minions should the need arise. He had hoped it would arise. Lux had entrusted him with her last faint glimmer of power, and Norton did not wish to disappoint her. He would not balk at this great gift, this monumental responsibility. When not reading, his attention was instead seized by training. He had little practice at sword-work as a squire in the Order of Light, but every waking hour, even if it was only himself against his shadow, Norton swung his sword. There was neither day nor night, the unchanging sky a constant reminder of what he must do.

Now, three years later, Norton has found his allies. He knows the destination. He knows what he must do.

tuckers02

Just take it out of your back pocket before you sit down.

FragarachZ

A behelit? During a great eclipse? How conveniently fitting!

What do people think of this split?

Group A: Path of the Paladin
Norton, Lightbearer Paladin (Inerrant Lust)
Alyssa, Champion (tuckers02)
Thalya, Wild Mage (rikka)
Al'Rhayel, Moon Circle Druid (Miroque)

Group B: Path of the Priestess
Aria, Lightbearer Cleric (Muse, character sheet pending)
Evelynn, High Elven Abjurer (Autocad)
Varis, Wood Elf Beastmaster (Togashi)
Anna, Battlemaster (Far Eyes)

Autocad, you can go ahead and name Evelynn's ship.
For both groups, it will be a standard sailing ship found in the book, and unless otherwise noted it will be carrying cargo to trade in ports, earning just enough to pay upkeep of the ship and crew. It will be run by a few sailors but the more important positions can be filled out by characters as well, so they're part of the crew not only passangers.
O&O

rikka

Looks good.  So is Norton okay for being Thalya's long lost nephew?

Ons/Offs

Miroque

Who's the captain/ship owner on group A?

Druid is going to be like fish out of water on ship anyway...

EDIT: Or maybe not... Moon Druids can change int so many creatures ...Giant Octopus anyone ? (or is the swimspeed limitation still at work?)

EDIT 2: IF no Swim/fly speed: then Brown Bear, Dire Wolf, Giant Hyena, Giant Spider, GIANT TOAD!!, Lion, Swarm of Quippers and Tiger....
(If swim/fly speed is ok, then add: Giant Eagle, Giant Octopus, Giant Vulture... Where are our Dire Sharks and Dire Dolphins?)

FragarachZ

In group A Alyssa is the owner of the ship. As for the druid on the boat, you knew in advance you'd start there so it was your choice.
O&O

Miroque

I knew no problem there, but just pointing out, that she will not own any ship..

Miroque

GM: wahts your take on Moon Druid shapechange question ?

FragarachZ

She can wildshape into any beast up to CR 1 that has no fly or swim speed. After level 4 she will be able to wildshape into beasts with swim speed as well. She is still limited by movement forms from the wild shape table, even though max cr for wildshape progresses differently. But for starters land animals only. Maybe she is te newest on the ship and has yet to figure out sea creatures? I imagine she spent most of her time inland.
O&O

Miroque

I was thinking along the same lines.. so there is oe angry kitten aboard...

FragarachZ

Quote from: Miroque on February 19, 2015, 03:36:12 AM
I was thinking along the same lines.. so there is oe angry kitten aboard...

So if she falls into te sea she'll be a wet pussy? *snicker*

Edit: actually she had to see an animal before being abnle to wildshape to it. If she lived at a forest with wolves and bears it is unlikely she has seen giant camels or tigers. I'd say that shecan wildshape into woodland creatures, like boar, wolves, bear…. She might go as far as dire wolf now but she will need to find giant animals and beasts of other climates befgore she can assume those shapes.
O&O

Miroque

I was thinking Mountain Lion (to Lion/Tiger shape). And so it seems,.. need to have been seen the beast.. Do it need to be "mundane" beast, or can that shapechange be used to turn into more exotic/magical beings? like hmm.. Pegasus ? (after seeing it first. Pegasi dont have any "superhatural" powers, just horses with wings..)

And, are humans (humanoids)  considered viable shape to turn ?

Far eyes

Well a Pegasus is a Large Celestial now, i am fairly sure your limited to beasts

A/A

tuckers02

Wouldn't she already have a humanoid shape?

I'm good with the pairings though I feel bad for Thalya and Al'Rhayel trying to keep Alyssa and Norton reined in.

So when do we start?

Miroque

Al´Rhayel is more barbarian that scholar...

"new" and improved druid can turn into ANY beast when she turns.. .so there is no locked forms... and ability to turn "generic" humanoid (or better yet, some specific humanoid) would be handy. And why I asked? Cause highlevel druids get "alter self" at will... so their shapechange is not limited to times/day... and then they cat atleast turn to humanoids.. ergo, can the "times/day" be used likewise ?

FragarachZ

Wild shape only lets you take on forms of creatures with the "beast" type. Pegasi are celestial type indeed and other fantastic creatures like the manticore etc each have a type. Humanoids are a seperate creature type as well.
Basically the beast type limits you to animals (and giant/dire animals) without expanding on it with higher level druid features (elemental shape, though you won't reach that level in this game). You're not a shapeshifter, even improving on it, you can only turn into a squirrel. Or a sabretooth tiger. Whatever.

O&O

FragarachZ

And if everyone is ok with the grouping, I'll make the threads for "Group A" today, and "Group B" whenever Muse sends me his completed character sheet.
O&O

rikka

Ons/Offs

Far eyes

Quote from: FragarachZ on February 19, 2015, 08:04:25 AM
to animals (and giant/dire animals)

Well with the very small note that in 5e Bugs are also beasts, so you can turn into big spiders and scorpions and things to since the Vermin sub-type is no longer a thing.

A/A

Muse

Oh, it looks like I'm not too late!  Yay! 

though i may have made you wait on me.  Sorry! 

Muse

Okay, now i'm confused... 

Aria is mostly done on Google Docs, but you asked me to transfer her to myth weavers? 

i can't find a D&D 5th edition sheet on myth weavers? 

tuckers02

It's there, you just have to look.

Go to Sheets at the top then Sheets (Alpha)  It's there.

Far eyes

Yah it also foolled me its not in the drop down menu its in a like window above the options

A/A

Muse

Miroque

im good to go aswell. Sail Ohoy... and bottle rum!

Al´Rhayel, frist ever Pirate-Druid...(but can be Catgirl, ninja, Amazon and Cook...)

Muse

tuckers02

You can be the ship mascot.  Standing at the bow of the ship with your arms outstretched as if our own Neko figurehead!

Muse

tuckers02

Far eyes

A/A

Muse

Indeed. 

I know there's some personality someth's I'm still supposed to do? 

And a trinket? 

Wish I coudl see it the way you guys do.  It seems a pretty lame sheet on my screen. 

ShadowFox89

Quote from: FragarachZ on February 18, 2015, 01:54:51 AM
Looks like we are still waiting on our lightbearers a bit. *groan*
Would you people start with one and have a few people not participate, or wait until we have both (might be a few more days) but get everyone into a group?

Yeah, I never really started working on a character. It looks like you have a large enough group :/
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Far eyes

Quote from: Muse on February 19, 2015, 11:36:44 AM
  Indeed. 

I know there's some personality someth's I'm still supposed to do? 

And a trinket? 

Wish I coudl see it the way you guys do.  It seems a pretty lame sheet on my screen.

Trinket is a d100 roll, the personality things are listed under your background

A/A

tuckers02

Hey Inerrant Lust,

I think Norton and Alyssa would have fun sparring.  Maybe on the deck if the ship while traveling.  What do you think?

FragarachZ

Paladin Group, here's your game threads:

One and the other.
Apologies for any spelling mistakes that escaped the spellchecker. Discuss away in OOC.

Threads for the Cleric Group will be set up tomorrow.
O&O

Inerrant Lust

I apologize for all my delays this week, it's been... rough. Long hours at work. Early mornings. Lameness.

QuoteLooks good.  So is Norton okay for being Thalya's long lost nephew?

That is fine. In fact, I imagined Norton had to be rescued from Latun. I figured it would be an older member of his party and his 'mentor' in the three years between the time that Lux fell from grace and between the start of the story. Thalya may fit the bill, but I have a hard time imagining why she just so happened to have been in Latun at the time of the winter solstice by coincidence. But if her Discovery was what caused her to seek out Norton in the first place, well then that would make perfect sense. ;) As a result of her discovery, she may have directly caused the events that protected him from being discovered and killed that day.

Admittedly, I didn't read anyone else's sheets. Didn't have the time. But Norton Balworth also sounds way better than my own idea... :P They are quite different from one another, though. Which I find hilarious. It makes me wonder who Norton's father/mother/Thalya's sister/brother was...

I would have liked to look over everyone else if it meant having a say in party composition, but I think this one is fine. I was going to try and see how they might have met up. Thalya could have rescued Norton and chartered a discrete escape from Latun on the ship Alyssa worked on, but that might interfere with her plot-line about finding her sister. And I don't think Thalya and Norton would be staying on a boat for three years trying to stay low while he's assembling his party and training. :P And while Norton takes his role very seriously, he wouldn't try to coerce anyone to put aside their own family to help him.

As for Al'Rhayel, I don't know how they would have met... >_<

QuoteHey Inerrant Lust,

I think Norton and Alyssa would have fun sparring.  Maybe on the deck if the ship while traveling.  What do you think?

Yeah, that would work. I like that they're about the same age, but she's so much more advanced in skill than him.  ::)

QuoteMale characters are welcome too. Hmm, imagine a male lightbearer surrounded by all these ladies...  :P
Oops, stop fantasizing GM!

::)

Autocad

Here's my suggestion for Evelynn's ship's name: Dusk Strider

What do you think? Open to feedback here.

Far eyes

Quote from: Autocad on February 20, 2015, 05:58:25 AM
Here's my suggestion for Evelynn's ship's name: Dusk Strider

You are missing cool points for not calling it The Wraith but i might be showing my age here :P

A/A

FragarachZ

My own preference is Princess Ark, but that doesn't metter here does it? You name it whatever you like. :P
O&O

FragarachZ

Cleric group OOC
Cleric group IC

With this, everyone has their in character and out of characte rthread. See you there folks :)
O&O