What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

I'm playing Heroes of Might & Magic 3.

I pity the fool who doesn't know the best Heroes game of all time. It may well be the best ... err, whatever genre it would fall under game ever. I'm only slightly pissed that I got the complete version with all the expansions ( from GOG, and for the price of one game, so I can't exactly complain, but... ), mainly because ... it may be hard to see how this is a real complaint, but at one point apparently they added a new faction, which is really broken. And not overpowered broken, either. Every unit they have is utterly inferior to anything else. And literally all their units save the lowest ( Pixies ) and highest ( Firebirds - basically Rocs on fire ), are units that were already in the game - elementals.

I'm having a blast with it, though. I don't have a favorite faction, but .. man, playing as Necropolis ( undead ) and engaging weak enemies ( if your forces are strong enough, they will try to run away and you won't have to fight them ) just for the sake of slaughtering them and raising skeletons is ... well, it's a special kind of awesome.

Sabby

Oh for fucks sake x.x why can't people understand the concept of a control stick? Its like that for a reason... its supposed to make the speed of the characters movement adjustable. We've had them for a very long time. So why do good games from good developers keep fucking this up? I don't need a sprint button, the outside edge of the control stick works even better and frees up a button for something actually useful.

Funnily enough, this rant on controllers is coming from me playing Assassins Creed: Brotherhood on PC. I know I suck at mouse and keyboard in general, but I'm not so bad I can't at least partially blame these controls. Seriously, this is ridiculous! It was finicky enough with control sticks and triggers, doing it with keys makes it even murkier. Having to hold Right Mouse and Space to run is not a good idea when 90% of your game time will be spent running. And for some reason, it has two Use Keys...

Why can't more PC games do what Crysis did and map your equipment to a wheel that you could get to by holding down the scroll wheel on the mouse? All I had to do was hold the wheel, flick the mouse, release, and I have my ability. No reaching blindly for the 6 key. It's like the control stick complaint.

Sorry, I'm more irritable then usual x.x I really do hate PC games.

Edit: Great, found the wheel. Just in time to make me look stupid!

Harley

Quote from: Wolfy on July 06, 2011, 08:20:21 PM
oooh, Start over with me, On Millrush. ;D

Okie doke.   Defiant or Guardian?   I have to make a Defiant for the video, but maybe I can make a Guardian as well.   

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on July 07, 2011, 03:16:07 PM
Funnily enough, this rant on controllers is coming from me playing Assassins Creed: Brotherhood on PC. I know I suck at mouse and keyboard in general, but I'm not so bad I can't at least partially blame these controls. Seriously, this is ridiculous! It was finicky enough with control sticks and triggers, doing it with keys makes it even murkier. Having to hold Right Mouse and Space to run is not a good idea when 90% of your game time will be spent running. And for some reason, it has two Use Keys...

Even as someone who prefers computers to consoles in just about all cases, I wouldn't play a game like AC on the computer unless I had no choice. Or, well, I'd hook my controller up to my computer, I guess.

Sabby

It's a real adjustment for me Dx I can't seem to get Grasp down... ya know where you can reach out and grab anything around you, so if your falling and go past a ledge you can reach to your left and grab it, instead of just hitting the street? Yeah, I'm probably guna enjoy the whole game without that. Yay.

Also, the plot in AC seems to get worse with each game x.x the conspiracy stuff is even harder to believe then The Reptilian Agenda, since it plays it so straight faced, (
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Seriously, The Templars started the modern world to create supply and demand? They made countries like America to make customers? Yeah, right...
) and pretty much everything to do with the Desmond plotline is just... ugh... where do I begin?

Okay, for starters... Why does Desmond need to be an Assassin? Thats actually pretty much going against the Assassins. Yeah, that sounds weird, but Assassins aren't guys with extending blades, their upholders of free will and change their weapons, tactics, every detail of their organization when and where its needed to uphold their cause. Back then, a parkour killer with concealable weapons is perfect. When times changed and that kind of Assassin wasn't as effective, they changed. Now, we're in a time period with highly advanced security systems, where the average Abstergo building would be air tight, impossible to breach covertly, and you'd be met with armed resistance. Somehow, a guy who can climb with a pop-up knife doesn't sound very helpful, but their making it sound like its 'their only chance'.

I'll forget that 2012 bullshit they pulled at the end of AC2... that was just lazy writing at its best, they just gave up and copy pasted the Wiki page for '2012 theory' into the credits and called it a day. That I can ignore if they actually develope it further, but what came next cannot be fixed, it is pure retardation.

Okay, so, after beating down Abstergo goons, who use batons instead of guns, and only thought to send in a single group, they manage to simply drive away in a white van. Yep, just drive away. They just leave. That building was surrounded... it had to be. Abstergo knew they were there and already breached, if they had had one chopper in the air, then a friggen van CANNOT ESCAPE. But this is made even sillier with what comes next...

Guess whats nearby? The Villa. Yup. Ezio's Villa is within driving distance. Ya know, the place that housed a great Assassin and may well hold clues as to the hiding place of a Peace of Eden. It also has tunnels, which protects them from Cell Towers. Yes, Cell Towers, that means that Abstergo is practically omnipresent, and it knows where you are and whats in your pockets unless your buried under a few dozen feet of rock and dirt.

The fact this place is nearby is enough to warrant checking it out, but this is AN ASSASSINS HOME, that may have a PEACE OF EDEN, and there are ASSASSINS hiding somewhere in the general area. There is no fucking way that a van can just slink away to such a retarded hiding place and not get caught.

Seriously, this is like stealing money from your mums purse and then, in full view of her, running outside and climbing up a tree and seriously thinking you've gotten away...

Geeklet

Isn't it possible that perhaps they wanted you to escape?

Wolfy

They could have wanted you to escape, sure..

But I think a more likely answer is, as you said, there were assassins in the Area. Assassins that could have easily helped them escape, especially if they managed to get the word out.

Also, who said that the Villa was in driving distance?..Sure, they drove there, but that doesn't mean it was within driving distance, techniqually.

As I already said, they could have gotten the word out to the Assassins to help conceal them.

And yes, there was information about a piece of Eden at the Villa...but without eagle vision, they wouldn't have been able to find it, something that Abstergo knew, thus why the goons were wielding batons, not guns. A dead Desmond is one that they can't use. For all we know they were listening in the entire time and simply waiting for him to get to the piece of eden before coming into the villa themselves.

And why did you even mention the things about changing weapons and tactics? All we've seen so far is the hidden blade, and as far as I know, we've only seen desmond use it...once? That doesn't mean it's his only available bag of tricks, it just means that it's his own available one right now.

That and a flexible body (Which Parkour certainly provides) would be necessary for covert missions. Parkour would actually be surprisingly useful for an assassin in today's world, since they would be able to get around mostly unseen, actually, just from roof top to roof top. That and with Security systems, once needs to be able either get around them or disable them, something that parkour could help with. :P

Sabby

*sighs* Dude... Cell Towers. Being able to roof hop will not help you past a device that can see anything where you've got a mobile phone signal. Either your right and they allowed them to escape, which will make me look VERY stupid later on, or their escape can be pinned to lazy writing... and I really doubt it's the former.

Plus Assassins have always changed their tactics. It was confirmed in Assassin's Creed 2, in a conversation about poison use. If it was necessary, they would adopt it. Look at how the Templars have basically became Weyland Utani, you really think The Assassin's still use their 1500's style?

Sorry, but even if they work this out somehow, Desmond being 'the only hope' is a product of lazy writing, just like the 2012 stuff and the aliens. I'm totally open to all three elements being written into something great, but that doesn't change where and how they started. The last half of Assassin's Creed 2 just felt rushed, and lost its pacing, like they didn't really know for sure how they wanted to do things but were on a deadline.

That's how we went from 'secret conspiracy wars' to 10 time jumps one after the other, Alien's telling us about the crust realignment, and an urban ninja expected to over throw a world spanning evil corporation with stuff he picked up from the 1500's.

Sabby

I really hate this game... why did they have to make the controls so frustrating? It wants me to get full Synch on this scene, and to do that, I have to not lose any health... but it spawns me surrounded by guys who jump and hit me first thing. I can't counter it, because oh no, I'm not in combat mode! Well, reload, use lock on key... oh no! I'm locked on, but I'm still not in combat mode, so I get hit anyway! Fine, reload, equipment wheel, equip sword, lock on, counter... nope, get hit too quickly. Okay, I'll run, get some distance first...

Run. You. Dick. I know I'm not in I'm Late For The Bus Mode yet, I don't have time, I'm surrounded by idiots who don't care that your stuck in I'm In A Mild Hurry mode.

Okay, I finally... oh, great. Throwing knives in the back. Heh. Yeah, this is ridiculus, fuck Full Synch.

Geeklet

As far as the controls... the games are designed for consoles, and the PC version is merely a port.

And as far as the plot, well, I can't really help explain things without spoiling a bit of AC:Brotherhood

If you unlock all the Subject 16 stuff in AC:B, its revealed that Lucy was a Templar all along, and Desmond kills her. The whole escaping Abstergo and finding the villa to try to get the piece of Eden? All part of the templar's plan. Its not that Desmond is the only hope for the assassins, but Lucy is playing him, and the other two, to unwittingly aid Abstergo.

Either that or Subject 16 is just plain nuts and completely wrong about this one.

Sabby

I'm aware that making assumptions this early in is a bad idea, because I'm just inviting eggs to my face, but this plot point jumped out at me too hard. And the controls are bad on the PC, but overall, the game is way too context sensitive, regardless of the platform. At least the console had a trigger to control whether your in I'm Bored, Mild Hurry or The Roast Is Burning modes, but that still didn't keep you from getting whacked because you were properly locked on with your weapon out or some fiddly nonesense. Its a good idea, really, especially in the stealth missions that are around civilians, but that's the only time that this Low/Med/High Profile gig has actually been helpful, all other times it's just useless levels of complexity.

Sabby

It's slowly redeeming itself ^^ some of these assassination missions for the towers are pretty awesome. Drop from the roof, quickly kill 3 people before they've even got their swords out, toss a knife into the last one and move on. No ones any the wiser...

Wolfy

Quote from: Geeklet on July 08, 2011, 03:29:33 AM
As far as the controls... the games are designed for consoles, and the PC version is merely a port.

And as far as the plot, well, I can't really help explain things without spoiling a bit of AC:Brotherhood

If you unlock all the Subject 16 stuff in AC:B, its revealed that Lucy was a Templar all along, and Desmond kills her. The whole escaping Abstergo and finding the villa to try to get the piece of Eden? All part of the templar's plan. Its not that Desmond is the only hope for the assassins, but Lucy is playing him, and the other two, to unwittingly aid Abstergo.

Either that or Subject 16 is just plain nuts and completely wrong about this one.

Well, it's not that

He kills her because she's a Templar, it's more like he's forced to kill her by the Piece of Eden because apparently IT knows she's a Templar. Or at least that's how it looked to me....it seems that the Pieces of Eden had a deep connection to Desmond thanks to Altair taking it all those years ago and using it repeatedly....so I think maybe it can take control of him when it needs to?...but that wouldn't explain why it didn't use him when Abstergo's main force came. Then again, it could have simply given in for the moment BECAUSE there were so many people, and it needed Desmond to stay alive in any way that he could, so that would be why it didn't make him fight back?

Then again, Abstergo seems to already know Desmond and the Piece of Eden are linked somehow, since they didn't kill him on the spot and take it, moving on to the next subject...I mean, he can't be the only one who knows where all of them are located, I guess, but they want to keep him around..maybe because of his Eagle Vision?

Also, I'll repeat, Sabby...just because he's using the Hidden Blade now, doesn't mean he won't use other things in the future. He's still very new to being an Assassin, and we haven't seen any other true Modern Assassin's to actually know what they use, although Flash Bangs, Smoke Grenades, Silenced guns, I would assume they'd use those.

Don't forget, though, that the Hidden blade is the Trademark of the Assassins (It seems to be certainly designed to activate switches for them. lol), and just because he's using the old model now doesn't mean he won't get an upgraded model later. The point is, we haven't seen Desmond in any action except for the Parkour segments and I think a little fighting before they escaped, where of course he wouldn't be given the new assassin's tools, since they were in a rush. *poke*

Be Patient, Sabby-kins...all answers, much like many people, come with time.

Sabby

Sorry man, but they're training him with the Bleed Over side effect, so he's guna be exactly like Ezio... so unless Ezio was an amazing one man Spec Ops team and super spy, then my original point stands. "It's all up to Desmond" was a bad idea then and it will take a lot to make it work.

Tonalberry

Quote from: Sabby on July 08, 2011, 03:11:28 AM
I really hate this game... why did they have to make the controls so frustrating? It wants me to get full Synch on this scene, and to do that, I have to not lose any health... but it spawns me surrounded by guys who jump and hit me first thing. I can't counter it, because oh no, I'm not in combat mode! Well, reload, use lock on key... oh no! I'm locked on, but I'm still not in combat mode, so I get hit anyway! Fine, reload, equipment wheel, equip sword, lock on, counter... nope, get hit too quickly. Okay, I'll run, get some distance first...

Run. You. Dick. I know I'm not in I'm Late For The Bus Mode yet, I don't have time, I'm surrounded by idiots who don't care that your stuck in I'm In A Mild Hurry mode.

Okay, I finally... oh, great. Throwing knives in the back. Heh. Yeah, this is ridiculus, fuck Full Synch.

The scene where you're surrounded by the Followers of Romulus?  Yeah, fuck that scene.  I think I managed to get 100%, after a fuckton of retries.  Not sure if I did or not.  Basically, you have to pull off counter-assassination after counter-assassination, basically chain them through as many of the Followers as you can.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on July 08, 2011, 07:59:09 AM
Sorry man, but they're training him with the Bleed Over side effect, so he's guna be exactly like Ezio... so unless Ezio was an amazing one man Spec Ops team and super spy, then my original point stands. "It's all up to Desmond" was a bad idea then and it will take a lot to make it work.

He's not going to be exactly like Ezio, though.

A bleed over effect would cause him to have parts of Ezio's personality and skills, not be completely taken over.

Plus if that happened how would we go to France for french assassins?

Sabby

Oh, so they're not making him into Ezio... they're making him LIKE Ezio. Hah. That totally dismantled my stance on the topic, good job.

...wait, no it didn't ! D= That's even stupider!

And what do you mean by French Assassins...

Geeklet

Quote from: Sabby on July 08, 2011, 07:59:09 AM

Gotta start the training somewhere. This way they have a base to start from that will be done in weeks rather than in years.

Sabby

Yes, and that is a lot of work, on the writers part. I'm not opposed to the Bleed Over being in the plot, but it feels more like an observation rather then a Master Plan.

rhev

Just picked up Batman:Arkham Asylum the other day.  Holy mackaroni, what a great game!

Tonalberry

Quote from: rhev on July 08, 2011, 05:09:13 PM
Just picked up Batman:Arkham Asylum the other day.  Holy mackaroni, what a great game!

I went and reserved a copy of Arkham City the other day, after finally seeing a trailer video for it on the Sucker Punch dvd.

Wyrd

Quote from: rhev on July 08, 2011, 05:09:13 PM
Just picked up Batman:Arkham Asylum the other day. Holy mackaroni, what a great game!

You made my night.  XD
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

They need to hurry up and adapt the Arkham Asylum fighting system to other games xD all it needs is weapons and Euphoria ragdoll.

Tonalberry

Quote from: Sabby on July 09, 2011, 12:06:35 AM
They need to hurry up and adapt the Arkham Asylum fighting system to other games xD all it needs is weapons and Euphoria ragdoll.

I remember at least one Spider-Man game using a combat system like it, where you could basically move from enemy to enemy mid-combo.  It made sense, considering Spidey's agility.

Sabby

I'm thinking Spiderman 3, that had the best combat, but it's not even in the same league as Batman: AA xD wanna see Spidey catch a fist, web his ankle, yank it out, stun punch on the ground.