The Caves of Mineral Springs (NC-Exotic, Mystery, Horror, Modern)

Started by OldSchoolGamer, January 31, 2009, 08:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

Tucked away in the upper foothills of the Sierra Nevada is an abandoned mining town called Mineral Springs.  Home to around 5,000 souls during the height of the Gold Rush, Mineral Springs slowly waned during the first half of the 20th century, and was abandoned by the Sixties.  Outside of a few yellowed newspaper articles in the San Francisco Chronicle and Examiner, little remains of the story of Mineral Springs.  As the mine yielded silver rather than the far more notorious gold that ginned up the Gold Rush, the wealth that emerged from the town was relatively modest, and not of the sort sagas are written about.

In fact, by 1980 or so, with a new bypass built looping around the site of Mineral Springs, the town would probably have vanished entirely from existence, living only in the memories of a few elderly locals, that crumbly newsprint, or USGS topo maps issued prior to 1990.  But the town was rediscovered by a most unlikely group: some college students on spring break, as well as some other people, with a passion for spelunking.  Finding one of the mines, they embarked on a descent of discovery...and in the process, stumbled onto some old secrets, disturbing things and unspeakable hungers that would have been far better forgotten...

I don't want to give away the plot...but I'll help fill in some blanks anyone reading this is probably on their way to filling in anyway.  This is a horror story along the lines of a classic flick involving monsters that carve up the unwilling.  Only, here, the monsters are after sex more than mayhem.  Note that, while there will be elements of camp, this is a serious story, containing a mystery to be unraveled, and implications beyond what happens to the characters themselves.  Characters will be faced with moral decisions, and there are no "right" or "wrong" answers...only your choices, and the consequences thereof.

If you submit a character, bear in mind that this is an "anything-goes" game.  Except for torture, dismemberment, scat, or things banned by site rules anyway, anything can happen to your character: betrayal, rape, impregnation, and, in uncommon cases, death.  Note that this is not a "snuff" story in that I am not creating a "killer dungeon" here, looking to kill off characters one-by-one.  But this is a dangerous situation, and death for your character is a possibility you accept if you join the story.  Character death does not permanently remove a player from the game, and any player suffering such an unfortunate loss is free to re-join the game with another character as soon as the storyline permits.

You may submit "evil" characters as well as good characters.  I put "evil" in quotes because this is not Dungeons and Dragons; there are no alignments here.  There are virtues and vices, and for your character, the latter may outweigh the former...perhaps by a substantial margin.  Perhaps your character saw the flyer posted showing some of the pretty co-eds going on this trip, and decided to tag along until he could get one all alone and helpless!  Anything goes.  Note that the outcome of combat will be decided by me as Game Master, using dice and logic (no system).  Realism will be paramount (do not expect to leap forty feet across a gorge, for instance).

There are only two character types NOT permitted: the Special Forces Secret Agent Ninja, and the anti-character character.  The former are characters with an all-military background clearly designed to be Alpha Bad-Asses, and the latter are characters designed with the express purpose of eliminating other characters for the sake of eliminating characters.  Stalking a co-ed is one thing, engaging in combat with another character for reasons that make sense in the storyline is one thing, but I'm talking about playing the role of "terminator."  Your character should be mortal, not able to catch bullets in his or her teeth, and have objectives that relate to the storyline.

Characters do not have to be college students.  Members of the general public are also eligible.

I'm picturing this will be a fairly small group...I'm probably going to cap it at four, maybe five max.

BigBuckBob

Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: BBBob on January 31, 2009, 09:06:48 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea.

So, pull up a chair and stay for awhile.  What kind of character would you be interested in playing?

BigBuckBob

I was thinking a regular, early thirties guy, who happens to enjoy a good hike and spelunking who happens to be preparing for a trip when the college kids show up. He provides a little bit of needed experience/guidance they provide the element of never explore a cave alone.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

OldSchoolGamer

Sounds good enough.  Do you picture him being saintly?  Good?  Decent?  Kind of in the middle?  Shady?  Scheming and plotting?  Or worse...?

BigBuckBob

I picture him being a bit indecent. Not a bad guy, but glad to take advantage of a scared coed, and certainly not above a little voyeurism.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

OldSchoolGamer

Cool.  He'll fit right in.  Go ahead and write him up, and you can be my first victim player.

Cosmo_ac

tell me a little more about this game, it sounds interesting.  However, i'm not sure if i want my male charactor being anally raped.  Is this something i would have to worry about as a player?

BigBuckBob

I should have asked that.

I might need to add 'anal chastity belt' to my inventory.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

OldSchoolGamer

I think we can arrange an anal chastity belt...my monsters will be mostly male...might be some females...but no same-sex oriented males.

Pyro

Hmm... I may just join up in this. If you don't mind me bringing in a female character...

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Pyro on February 01, 2009, 12:43:50 AM
Hmm... I may just join up in this. If you don't mind me bringing in a female character...

Not at all...though nasty things will almost certainly happen to her.

Pyro

Better they happen to a female character than a male. I don't mind rape and stuff, but I *really* dislike male/male...

Anyway, I'm in then.

Is someone with slight fighting skills allowed? Maybe someone with decent martial arts abilities?

OldSchoolGamer

Sure, your character doesn't have to be a couch potato.  I'm just screening out people who are trying to munchkin freeform-style.

Pyro

Alright, so where should I post my character?

I've got a pretty good idea of my concept

OldSchoolGamer

slavemarkira

Ons and Offs
Rabbithole
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?

OldSchoolGamer

OldSchoolGamer

Alrighty folks, thus far we have:

* BBBob, weighing in with Bob Jenkins, an early middle-aged Everyman who has a recently-discovered yen for physical fitness
* slavemarkira, bringing in Chloe Winters, a pretty, popular co-ed who is a spelunking hobbyist
* pyro, who bears Katie Alden, also a co-ed, who is drawn to the mountains for artistic reasons, and to try her hand at caving.

Room for two more.

OldSchoolGamer

The van for Mineral Springs leaves Tuesday afternoon (U.S. Pacific Time), so if anyone else wants on board, now's the time...

OldSchoolGamer

Duchess

i want to join but cant make up my mind yet in what character i want to play *pouting*

Maybe a rising actress after she was seen drinking and clubbing to much and was advised to make a choice in going to treatment or lose her job, she had to find a hiding place to make the paparatsy believe she chose treatment but her assistant found the flyer off the place and they decide that it’s perfect for her weekend hiding.

BigBuckBob

Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

Imogen

I'd be interested in joining.

The character I have in mind is one of the students, not as pyshically buff as most of the spelunking enthusiasts but determined to succeed. She would be the editor of the School's newspaper and is known for her insatiable curiosity, one of the reasons she has signed up for this trip. This reporter-to-be considers everything an opportunity and hopes for her big break with one story or the other.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Asmodeus

Ah shit, I missed the bus!

*stands in the road with puppy eyes*  :(

I wanted to play Bbbob's camping buddy - a younger, more straight-laced hiker.

Bah!  Never mind.

How about a guy who's come to the lake to commit suicide (for reasons to be revealed).  He then gets caught up in the mine-trip and decides to put his suicide plans on hold.  ;)