Flowers for sympathy?

Started by Zeitgeist, February 04, 2013, 10:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeitgeist

Are there appropriate types of flowers to send for sympathy? Also, I am sending them internationally (Italy) and looking at http://www.teleflora.com/international-flowers/international-flower-delivery.asp

Does anyone have guidance? Learned my second cousin, whom my son and I spent time with in Italy, her husband had a sudden stroke and to my knowledge is incapacitated :-/

Trieste

Many places have a "thinking of you" sort of arrangement they can send for you. Florists are pretty good with suggestions - otherwise, if you know the preferences of the recipient, there is that. Like someone who is sending flowers to me might forgo the typical arrangement from the florist and just send lilies instead.

Zeitgeist

Thank you Trieste. Of course the site has suggestions even, for sympathy and what not. Thanks.

Trieste

I hope that was helpful. >.>;; When I send flowers and suchnot, I usually find the florists themselves to be a pretty good resource. While, yes, they are trained to go for the upsell, they also know what is tacky, what is tasteful, and what is just downright not right.

Zeitgeist

My options for international delivery were quite limited and she rattled off a series of options. Ended up choosing a bouquet of green, white and yellow. Figured the thought was what counted. I told it was for sympathy, though not funeral flowers, she suggested the bouquet and I picked the colors. What are you gonna do.

So sad. My son and I visited them in Italy now 2 years ago for a little more than a week, we stayed with them. They are older but like 55-60 maybe. It was clear to dolt like me they were (are) deeply in love. You just don't see that so often these days. She's horribly heartbroken I am certain of it. Interesting to note she's a Midwesterner from Green Bay, he a Moroccan. They met in college at the University of Minnesota and have been inseparable ever since. They are both so kind and generous.

Naiah

I suggest one of those plant baskets, or just a plant. Bouquets are gorgeous, but cut flowers never last long, a plant would.

My condolences with him, strokes are an awful thing. Very nice of you to send the flowers, shows you care.

You ninjaed me, nice choice still!

Beguile's Mistress

*sending thoughts and prayers for you cousin's husband*

Zeitgeist

From my cousin:

QuoteI was in the taxi in Paris heading for the airport when a florist in Rome called me to tell me that they were delivering flowers today!  I have to tell you that it was a lovely surprise to receive something like this and totally unexpected!  My son picked them up with the concierge of our building so when I got them home I found them waiting in a vase on the dining room table.

Thank you so much for thinking about us, it was such a nice thing to come home to.

Hugs

Sounds a bit ostentatious, "...in Paris headed to Rome..." but really, the sweetest, warmest people you've met.

Caeli

That's wonderful. :-) I'm glad the flowers got there and were received well.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oniya

Quote from: Zeitgeist on February 08, 2013, 05:39:59 AM
Sounds a bit ostentatious, "...in Paris headed to Rome..." but really, the sweetest, warmest people you've met.

When you live in the area, it's not really different from being 'in Chicago, headed to D.C.'  It's those transatlantic flights that really get you.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17