The Doves' Talons (Star Wars FFG) [Closed]

Started by TheFourthShade, March 15, 2018, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFourthShade

The Clone Wars began not with a declaration, but the capture of a few patrolling Republic vessels by an armada and what was called 'the slaughter of brave sailors of the Republic Navy' by some and 'the first strike against the decadent Republic' by others.

The Confederacy of Independent Systems announced itself officially after that event, though many declarations of secession came before the event itself.

The Republic, though caught off guard, raised a clone army seemingly from no where and began a recruiting drive.  Hundreds of thousands of citizens sought to join the Grand Army of the Republic and the Navy across all of the worlds.  Perhaps most disturbing to those who hoped that the conflict could be deescalated was the fact that the Jedi not only failed to speak out against the war but have offered their support in military efforts. 

It has been two months.  Fighting, thankfully, has largely been minimal near even most Mid-Rim worlds.

However, many doubt the Republic or even support the Confederacy.  After all, the Theed Massacre happened while the Republic sat on its hands.  Worse, the weak sanctions enforced by the Republic allowed the Trade Federation to raise enough droids to swell the Confederacy's army.  Perhaps even more tantalizing is the idea that one could be independent from either the Republic or the Confederacy.

Many whisper that Naboo is considering such a thing, after its refusal to sponsor a Republic base on its world.  Some wonder if old ally Alderaan will do the same, though many scoff that such a pacifist world would surrender within the hour if the Confederacy showed up in its system...

Bail Organa, the Senator of Alderaan, is considering something far more gutsy than his planet's decision to break the Trade Federation blockade by force nearly a decade ago.  What he is considering, at best, would cost him his job and his freedom.  At worst, he would be executed for treason and his planet would likely be considered party to it.

However, he was aware that the Republic might not rise to the challenge...and he was aware that the Confederates would surely be no better than the Republic if they won.

The surest solution, he reasoned, would be to stop the war.  Of course, he was among many who spoke out from day one.  Many who did not speak out publicly had their misgivings, as well.  However, the Hawks held the majority in the Senate and there was no reason that that would change any time soon.  Making change on that front would be impossible.

He came to a decision.  If the right situations could be created and the right factors manipulated, perhaps the war would become too difficult or unpalatable to prosecute.  It would only take a majority in the Senate to stall the war, even if it would require a strong majority to bring terms to the table, and a willing Confederacy to receive those terms.  Nothing good would come from the Republic and the Confederacy escalating to full scale war.  Alderaan did not need to become a battlefield, and Naboo had already been occupied by droids once.

Worse, if the Republic suffered enough defeats, Naboo would separate from it without regrets.  Others would follow.  He would have to hedge his bets, or else stand helpless as warmongers damn him, his planet, and the Republic.

With that in mind, he made some calls to some assets in intelligence and espionage, and waited for his people to recruit some individuals who would be fit for the work he had in mind.  If the opening venture worked well, perhaps he could commit to it fully...

Basic Info

The Doves' Talons is an AU Star War game taking place around the start of the Clone Wars.

The players will make agents for a deniable operations group.  The goal of this group is to prevent conflict where possible and to deescalate and disrupt conflict where it is impossible.  To this end, they have been handpicked for their skills, and are given quite a bit of autonomy...at least so long as the desired results are achieved.

Character Generation

-All of the three core books are allowed (and other books are allowed on a case by case basis; I just don't have access to them so I'd need the content shown to me somehow)
-Characters are generated via the standard methods with the following exception(s)
--All characters use Duty (and Morality, if they're a Force User)
--Characters that use morality may not reduce their Morality to 29 at character generation, though the rise and fall of morality after character generation is not similarly restricted. 

Rules

-Be good to each other.
-Talk to me if you have an issue with something I'm doing or the game.  Even if I can't resolve your issue fully, perhaps I can begin taking steps to rectifying it.
-A minimum post rate of once per week is necessary without some prior notice of absence.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

PixelatedPixie

TheFourthShade

Well, two potentially interested individuals is better than zero.

Did either of you have a character idea in mind or any questions you needed to ask me about the pitch?  I'd be glad to answer any questions that I can.

Arcanist

Definitely interested.
Looking at a possible soldier/operative.
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

PixelatedPixie

I am thinking something tech focused, though maybe a Smuggler specialization from Fly Casual would be fun.

Guancyto

Oh hey, forgot I hadn't replied to this thing.

Was thinking either a Trandoshan Doctor or some flavor of Sentinel who quit the Jedi in protest for their participation in the war.

TheFourthShade

Well, it looks like there's certainly enough interest.  I'll be accepting characters now.

Feel free to discuss your ideas with each other if you like.

AnnieSatin

I would be interested. Perhaps the daughter of a senator who is skilled in negotiations?

Ala Rai Sen

I have very little experience with FFG Star Wars, but if that is not an issue, I am interested as well. I think I would want to do some kind of force user, but I am not really enamored with the jedi. Is it possible to make a non-jedi useing Force and Destiny, or does that book shoehorn you into being a jedi? Would want to know before I potentially pick it up.

TheFourthShade

To AnnieStain:
That is just fine.  I am still open to characters at this point.  A child of a senator who is willing to work outside of the rules is perfectly acceptable.

To Ala Rai Sen:
That is not an issue, though I would advise you to be sure to ask questions if you are not sure about something.   Force and Destiny does not shoehorn you into being a Jedi, though many of the skills and powers can plausibly just be a Force Sensitive learning things on their own (or, at least, without the instruction of a Jedi or Sith master).

ShadowFox89

Name: Laeli
Race: Miralian
Career: Guardian
Specialization: Soresu Defender

Brief History: Laeli was at one point a talented young padawan along with her younger sister. Her split from the Order came with the approaching storm of war as tensions rose between the Confederacy and Republic. She disagreed with the council's decision to join the Republic in war, should a war come to it. The final point came when her sister fell to the dark side, betraying their master before turning to Laeli. The two clashed and the last the miralian saw of her sibling, she was trapped on a crumbling hammerhead corvette, the ship breaking apart. When Laeli returned to the temple, she set her saber's crystal in front of the Masters, the twin of which was held by her sister, and explained with no shortage of expletives of why she was leaving the Order. Laeli since retired to a small village on Alderaan, where she teaches young children.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AnnieSatin

Actually what about the daughter of a senator who is actually a highly skilled hacker and electronic wiz? Not so good at negotiations. But no one knows about her talent.

Also is anyone interested in a back story ?

Arcanist

Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: AnnieSatin on March 27, 2018, 12:07:39 AM
Actually what about the daughter of a senator who is actually a highly skilled hacker and electronic wiz? Not so good at negotiations. But no one knows about her talent.

Also is anyone interested in a back story ?

Daughter of a senator and a Padawan could have easily met at some point.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AnnieSatin

AnnieSatin

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on March 27, 2018, 02:45:10 AM

Daughter of a senator and a Padawan could have easily met at some point.

Very true, wanna pm me and work out details?

ShadowFox89

Working it out here is fine with me, gives others a chance to pipe in.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AnnieSatin

Thinking of her as a face claim.

So for the bodyguard do you want them to be friends or simply aware of each other's existence? Perhaps he knows her secret and insists on going with her at times to protect her?

As for the padawan how were you thinking they might have met?

ShadowFox89

You'll have to give more details on her Annie, like what planet she's from, etc.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AnnieSatin

Oh yea for sure I'll get a full character write up just tossing out ideas.

PixelatedPixie

Viera Kilvaari
Human Colonist Marshal

Viera was little more than a toddler when her family joined a group of colonists in search of a better world.  They ventured deep into the outer rim, eventually settling on a tidally-locked, but still pleasant, world that was charted but uninhabited.  They thrived, in the early years.  Viera’s mother was the local Marshal, her father the owner of the closest thing they had to a Cantina.  She found herself helping as a server half the time, and as an unofficial deputy the other half.

The colony began to draw unwanted attention, and as Viera reached her middle teenage years a new element began to move in.  A rough sort, they had come in search of supposed ruins the planet held, rich veins of metal, and animals to hunt.  The colony began to shift, her father was forced out of ownership of his cantina by a Zabrak who quickly brought in several ‘identured,’ as he called them, Twi’lek dancers.  Crime spiked, and Viera found herself working as an official Deputy. 

The situation came to a head when Viera was nineteen.  A criminal organization had taken to using the world as a stopover for smuggling of drugs, slaves, and weapons.  Viera’s mother, Viera, and the few other law enforcement officers went to clear them out.  The shootout was a massacre on both sides.  Viera walked away unharmed, but her mother was killed, and her compatriots killed or wounded.  The criminals lost a dozen men and a warehouse full of valuable goods. 

Viera, with few friends and a bounty on her head, was forced to flee the world at her father’s request.  She knew he fully intended to get revenge, but left as a final gift.  Unsure what else to do, she drifted from port to port, taking what work she could find.

Sheet

BR 3         AG 3         IN 2         CU 2         WI 2         PR 3
Soak: 4(3)   Wounds: 15   Strain: 12   Defence: 0R/0M

Astrogation (Int)          N           Brawl (Br)             N
Athletics (Br)             N           Gunnery (Ag)           N
Charm (Pr)                 C - *       Melee (Br)             N
Coercion (Will)            C - *       Ranged – Light (Ag)    C - **
Computers (Int)            N           Ranged - Heavy (Ag)    N
Cool (Pr)                  N
Coordination (Ag)          N           Core Worlds (Int)      C
Deception (Cun)            C           Education (Int)        C
Discipline (Will)          N           Lore (Int)             C - *
Leadership (Pr)            C           Outer Rim (Int)        N
Mechanics (Int)            N           Underworld (Int)       C - *
Medicine (Int)             N           Xenology (Int)         N
Negotiation (Pr)           C - *
Perception (Cun)           N
Piloting – Planetary (Ag)  N - *
Piloting – Space (Ag)      N
Resilience (Br)            N
Skulduggery (Cun)          N - *
Stealth (Ag)               N
Streetwise (Cun)           C - *
Survival (Cun)             N
Vigilance (Will)           C

Talents
Toughened: +2 Wound Threshold
Street Smarts: -1S/rank from Streetwise/Knowledge Underworld

Duty
Internal Security – 0

Equipment
Heavy Blaster Pistol
Heavy Clothing
Handheld Comlink
Scanning Goggles
Binders
Stimpacks x2

Sheet assumes Marshal is okay and a starting Duty of 10

TheFourthShade

What book is the 'Marshal' from?
I'm glad to allow a non core material, but I need to know where it's from just in case I ever need to read it.

PixelatedPixie

Far Horizons I think, or whatever the colonist book is called.  The Talent Tree is available online from a few places I think (since they say you can copy for personal use), which should give a bit about the talents and list the bonus skills.  I avoided any weapons or what not from anything but the core. 

TheFourthShade

That's fine, that's fine, I'll have to find it but unless it turns out to be a class option that somehow utterly destroys the game, you're in the clear.