A DC Universe Of Our Own (Mutants & Masterminds Variant)

Started by Norsegod1839, December 04, 2017, 12:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFcommando

Quote from: wander on December 12, 2017, 08:59:45 AM
I could work on doing a pared down version of Superman for PL 10...

I am greatly attracted to DC Rebirth's Lois Lane.  ;D

Maybe editing the title of this thread adding "(Mutants and Masterminds)" at the end of the title will bring in the system gamers who know the system? Atm the thread seems from it's title like it'd be freeform and I actually only came by on a whim as I thought this would be freeform and wanted to see what characters may be involved.  ;D

That worked for me.  Big fan of supers, DC and the M&M system, glad to help out with characte builds.

Story-wise, how about a new branch of the Justice League that just started up?  The nature of it could be based on what the characters are like, and what the players like.  Could be a covert one like Young Justice, or an urban/crimefighting  one Batman promoted so the big guns on the satellite don’t lose touch. A “dark” one dealing with magic threats. Or just location-based, like the West Coast Avengers were.  That’ll allow for an easy mix of new and established members.

One idea I’ve had is Barbara Gordon as Batgirl running into some weird magic item or cult and becoming steeped in magic from it.  She learned thing she couldn’t unlearn and is different than she used to be.  A variant on that is she was trappped in some (sexy) magic dimension or parallel world for years, becoming a sorceress.  When she does return, she’s only been gone for a short time... or even came back before, keeping herself from going and resulting in two versions of herself.  Thus, the sorceress one has to make a new life.

That’s just one, I’ve got plenty.  😀
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Norsegod1839

Quote from: TFcommando on December 12, 2017, 06:24:32 PM
That worked for me.  Big fan of supers, DC and the M&M system, glad to help out with characte builds.

Story-wise, how about a new branch of the Justice League that just started up?  The nature of it could be based on what the characters are like, and what the players like.  Could be a covert one like Young Justice, or an urban/crimefighting  one Batman promoted so the big guns on the satellite don’t lose touch. A “dark” one dealing with magic threats. Or just location-based, like the West Coast Avengers were.  That’ll allow for an easy mix of new and established members.

One idea I’ve had is Barbara Gordon as Batgirl running into some weird magic item or cult and becoming steeped in magic from it.  She learned thing she couldn’t unlearn and is different than she used to be.  A variant on that is she was trappped in some (sexy) magic dimension or parallel world for years, becoming a sorceress.  When she does return, she’s only been gone for a short time... or even came back before, keeping herself from going and resulting in two versions of herself.  Thus, the sorceress one has to make a new life.

That’s just one, I’ve got plenty.  😀

My idea or at least the one I wsa thinking! Was that this would be the first incarnation of this earths justice league

following the multiverse idea it would be that in our earth the justice league has not been formed yet and this is their forming. So this league and what its members are and like can be anything we so chose!

Which of course could mean any members or any heroes we want! Even villians turned anti heroes like poison ivy and say a magically infused bat girl!

I like the idea! and so far like what everyone else is thinking as well!

Norsegod1839

Okay so so far I have

Erotic Literacy

TF Commando

Valerian

Metraxa

Diesel Heart

And last but certainly not least Wander

Did I miss anyone?

wander

Spending tomorrow afternoon after I do a grocery shop getting a workable Superman character sheet done.

I've been wanting when I get the time when it's done to do a lil behind the scenes why I make him as I have, to help others with their character builds. :)

Some other characters I've been thinking I'd like (these aren't claims btw, just something I could do if Supes get's done easy enough); a Speedster (Flash), Red Hood, Sandman (Wesley Dodds).

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 12, 2017, 08:38:13 PM
Spending tomorrow afternoon after I do a grocery shop getting a workable Superman character sheet done.

I've been wanting when I get the time when it's done to do a lil behind the scenes why I make him as I have, to help others with their character builds. :)

Some other characters I've been thinking I'd like (these aren't claims btw, just something I could do if Supes get's done easy enough); a Speedster (Flash), Red Hood, Sandman (Wesley Dodds).

We do need a speedster! And I would love if you do the behind the scenes as well Wander! Because I am interested in how you do it for my own character sheet!

SithLordOfSnark

If you're still seeking and don't mind me lurking for a bit to get a feel for everything, I'd be interested.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Norsegod1839

Quote from: SithLordOfSnark on December 12, 2017, 08:43:02 PM
If you're still seeking and don't mind me lurking for a bit to get a feel for everything, I'd be interested.

Welcome aboard! Lurk away!

Metraxa

Ah, I maty have to collaborate with wander then, since there'll be some common events or what have you

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Metraxa on December 12, 2017, 08:47:19 PM
Ah, I maty have to collaborate with wander then, since there'll be some common events or what have you

it's all a collaboration! I'll be working with him as well! lol

VoluptuousVixen

Can I put in interest for Starfire ore a version of her?

wander

I'm good to collaborate to get sheets ready for people that'll give 'em a character they want and will be fun to play. Though atm it's fairly late for me, I'm cool to help set up sheets.

The one tip I'll say is that you get based on PL max limits to certain things (for example, your total Dodge and Toughness cannot go over x2 the PL. This means you can do 10/10 or maybe veer more to one, like Dodge 8/Toughness 12). It's recommended and I've seen it come up in-play myself that you don't wanna go further than +2/-2 in either direction, as it'll make noticeable flaws/opness in your character that can really screw with you when they need to do certain things.

Of course, this is how you represent what characters are great at, so like Supes would have an awesome Toughness, whilst Flash would veer more to an awesome Dodge in this example.

There's no reason why you couldn't do like, Dodge 5, Toughness 15... Though if something bypasses toughness you're gonna be hit due to low dodge and be pretty screwed.

Something to keep in mind.
Basically, if at PL 10 your defences are significantly off from that, that's basically why Supes and Wonder Woman are rated at lower PLs than their points give. They're fairly easy to hit and counter if you know how to take them with a character around the PL they're listed as, or they have another inherent weakness that a character at that PL if created to be balanced probably wouldn't have.

VoluptuousVixen

Ore I can do a version of Wonder Woman if shes still needed more

TFcommando

Quote from: wander on December 12, 2017, 08:38:13 PM

The Golden Age Sandman has always been a favorite. Love the trench coat and gas mask look. I have a few writeups inspired by him and the Green Hornet (who clearly inspired the Sandman too). 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Norsegod1839

Quote from: VoluptuousVixen on December 12, 2017, 08:51:09 PM
Can I put in interest for Starfire ore a version of her?

If you want to play Starfire Wonder woman or even both thats fine!

VoluptuousVixen

Isnt both a bit greedy? I might just go with Wonder Woman, can you put me down for her? But I wonder how to make her different?

Norsegod1839

Quote from: VoluptuousVixen on December 12, 2017, 09:17:59 PM
Isnt both a bit greedy? I might just go with Wonder Woman, can you put me down for her? But I wonder how to make her different?

It's up to you! You can always do an updatted version of her iconic origin!

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 12, 2017, 08:51:37 PM
I'm good to collaborate to get sheets ready for people that'll give 'em a character they want and will be fun to play. Though atm it's fairly late for me, I'm cool to help set up sheets.

The one tip I'll say is that you get based on PL max limits to certain things (for example, your total Dodge and Toughness cannot go over x2 the PL. This means you can do 10/10 or maybe veer more to one, like Dodge 8/Toughness 12). It's recommended and I've seen it come up in-play myself that you don't wanna go further than +2/-2 in either direction, as it'll make noticeable flaws/opness in your character that can really screw with you when they need to do certain things.

Of course, this is how you represent what characters are great at, so like Supes would have an awesome Toughness, whilst Flash would veer more to an awesome Dodge in this example.

There's no reason why you couldn't do like, Dodge 5, Toughness 15... Though if something bypasses toughness you're gonna be hit due to low dodge and be pretty screwed.

Something to keep in mind.
Basically, if at PL 10 your defences are significantly off from that, that's basically why Supes and Wonder Woman are rated at lower PLs than their points give. They're fairly easy to hit and counter if you know how to take them with a character around the PL they're listed as, or they have another inherent weakness that a character at that PL if created to be balanced probably wouldn't have.

Question Wander! Can I have the link for the character sheet so I can post it up on the page? I'll make another thread for you guys to post em into!

wander

You mean this one?

https://rpg.rem.uz/d20%20Variants/d20%20Modern/DC%20Comics%20-%20d20%20-%20Modern%20-%20Mutants%20%26%20Masterminds%203e%20-%20DC%20Adventures%20-%20Character%20Sheet.pdf

I'll probably just write out the character sheet when I've done it without using that sheet. I have a way of formatting that's similar to the character sheet and fairly easy to look up.

I'll post my Superman when he's done here, in this thread. Just so people can see another example of a completed character. I'll be fielding any questions anyone has on character generation here or in my PM inbox also, as it looks like character generation has begun proper now.  :-)

TFcommando

One viewpoint on superheroic motivation!

http://www.spinnyverse.com/comic/03-15-2013, the Spinerette webcomic.  Adam Warren's http://www.empoweredcomic.com/comic/volume-1-page-1 is another great, sexy and very heroic superhero work.

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

wander

Adam Warren's Empowered is super awesome.  ;D I used to own pretty much everything he did for Dirty Pair, the dude is an amazing artist. :)

Valerian

I do like the idea of a slightly less world-oriented league for the group -- that is, they could be called on to help in extreme crises, but for their day to day they'd be involved with more local problems.  That would give us a chance to start with something smaller to get the group working together if we like before moving on to something bigger if that's what the group wants.  Just throwing ideas out, of course, none of this has to happen.  The beauty of an alternate Ivy is that I can make her work with many different scenarios.  :)

I really like the old Sandman, too, that would be a great character to add.  For Ivy's backstory it would help if a character along those lines would have encountered her a little while ago -- she was raised in isolation by a genius scientist with some serious psychological issues and very little in the way of nurturing skills, so when she first meets an outsider she's fundamentally a blank slate and will learn morality from that person.  Hence she can be anything from an out and out villain to an anti-hero or even a four-color hero, though honestly I'd prefer a bit more of the anti-hero type.   ::)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 13, 2017, 03:19:14 AM
You mean this one?

https://rpg.rem.uz/d20%20Variants/d20%20Modern/DC%20Comics%20-%20d20%20-%20Modern%20-%20Mutants%20%26%20Masterminds%203e%20-%20DC%20Adventures%20-%20Character%20Sheet.pdf

I'll probably just write out the character sheet when I've done it without using that sheet. I have a way of formatting that's similar to the character sheet and fairly easy to look up.

I'll post my Superman when he's done here, in this thread. Just so people can see another example of a completed character. I'll be fielding any questions anyone has on character generation here or in my PM inbox also, as it looks like character generation has begun proper now.  :-)

I will wait for you to get the Superman up then Wander! If you have a way of formatting that makes it similar but means we dont have to all print it out fill it out and scan it in or some nonsense then that would be the ideal! So go ahead and do you're superman post it when you have the chance and then we go from there! Everyone else just go ahead and keep thinking on the character or characters you want to play.

I don't mind if people do multiple to since we are a small group for right now! Not ever hero has to be on every mission and having reserves or something makes it so if you want to say have your character get injured you have someone to play!

wander

I've been working on a PL 10 Superman on and off today and progress is coming along well. I'll need to keep at it though, whilst I'm confident I'll have a great Paragon archetype come the end of my tweaking, these things take a little time to do.

You can see from the Vol 2 of Heroes/Villians and also that scan of Batman's character sheet how a good way to write out the stats in a post can look though. I may not be done until this weekend and I'd hate for people to wait for my character to be completed before they work on statting their own up.

The idea I'm pulling across for this is partially that my Superman will be somewhat still learning his powers and is younger than the one we know of currently in Rebirth, also I'm pondering on having some elements of the Flashpoint Universe and other alternate Supermen to explain why he's a little less powerful and weaker than usual. That he was contained in a Red Solar chamber until recently helps with that somewhat.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 13, 2017, 04:38:41 PM
I've been working on a PL 10 Superman on and off today and progress is coming along well. I'll need to keep at it though, whilst I'm confident I'll have a great Paragon archetype come the end of my tweaking, these things take a little time to do.

You can see from the Vol 2 of Heroes/Villians and also that scan of Batman's character sheet how a good way to write out the stats in a post can look though. I may not be done until this weekend and I'd hate for people to wait for my character to be completed before they work on statting their own up.

The idea I'm pulling across for this is partially that my Superman will be somewhat still learning his powers and is younger than the one we know of currently in Rebirth, also I'm pondering on having some elements of the Flashpoint Universe and other alternate Supermen to explain why he's a little less powerful and weaker than usual. That he was contained in a Red Solar chamber until recently helps with that somewhat.

I can use the print out sheet to kind of create a character sheet! But fair warning I do not know formatting at all! And so it is going to be more of a bare bones fill out list. More or less whats in that link I posted above!

I might do that! Help you a bit Wander! it wont be fancy but it will work and thats all that matters right guys?

wander

One final before I jet to bed, to help people out;

PL 10 = 150pts to spend.

o 2pts per rank in an Ability (Str, Sta, Agl, Dex, Fgt, Int, Awe and Pre).

So buying Strength 1 would equal 2 of your 150pts.

Note you're allowed to have 0 in any of the stats (representing normal human level, or for example in D&D parlance, a 10 in a stat). You can also go into negatives to show your character is terrible at one ability, which will give you the equivalent pts back to boost another Ability.

o 1pt to boost Defences.

(Base Defence totals; Dodge = Agility, Fortitude = Stamina, Parry = Fighting, Toughness = Stamina, Will = Awareness.)
(use dodge to defend against ranged attacks or reflex tests)
(fortitude is used to resist physical afflictions, poisons, disease, etc)
(parry is used to defend against melee ranged attacks)
(toughness is your defence against damage and the ability to no-sell it)
(will is your defence against mind control, spiritual or mental assault)

o 1pt gives 2 skill points.

o 1pt per Advantage or rank in an Advantage. Equipment is an Advantage.

o Powers have their own costs depending on how they're constructed.

You can put your 150pts between whatever you want and build your character however you please, with these restrictions;

QuoteFinal Skill Modifiers (ability + skill rank + any modifier) maxes out at +20.

Attack Roll + Effect for an attack cannot total over 20 combined (example: +10 to hit and 10 damage)

Total of Dodge and Toughness together maxes at 20 (eg: dodge 10/toughness 10)

Total of Parry and Toughness together maxes at 20 (eg: parry 10/toughness 10)

Total of Will and Fortitude together maxes at 20 (eg: will 10/fortitude 10)

Note you don't have to max out all of these, in fact you'll find it pretty tough to do that, though it's recommended to get close to the max outs. As stated upthread it's up to you how to balance these trade-offs, so you could do Dodge 8/Toughness 12 for example.

Last note: Some Powers can boost your Defences, these trade-offs go off the final modified defences, not the base totals, so if for example you have a character will a Toughness of 5 and a Power of Protection 10 to give them Toughness 15, the Dodge cannot go over +5.