Looking for a Monster/Criminals-Hunting system game

Started by Thufir Hawat, September 17, 2021, 04:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thufir Hawat

Let's go straight to the content: I am looking for GM (and/or group) to run a system game of monster-hunting for me on E.!
Two things I want to emphasize are that I'd be looking for some time "off work" and a chance to interact with "normal society", and that I don't want it to be an action game with no investigation. I'm going to investigate the Hell out of those creatures before taking them on, and no, I don't get bored by investigations.

Paradoxically, I don't even care if they are monsters. The "monsters" might be criminals, instead!

The hunt is more important then the prey...
Make no mistake: one concept that you won't see me playing even in CoC is someone who believes humanity is prey to the monsters. It's the other way around. They might be like tigers...but we've been hunting tigers for ages, remember C:)?

Now, that doesn't mean I require "pulp options" (or "powers") to be on the table. I don't mind it...but don't really need it, either.

On the player: I'm fine with solo, and I'm fine with small-ish groups (I've found that big groups usually lead to losing momentum in PbP).
Similarly, my O&Os are in my sig. I don't care if there is smut involving the monsters. I can play just fine either a monster s/layer, or a "pure" monster slayer!

I would prefer a fairly real-world setting as opposed to pure fantasy...but I'm not going to say "no" if you want to try the Witcher system or whatever. (In the latter case, expect me to play a man-at-arms, not a Witcher...).But a fictional city somewhere in the world is also fine, if you don't want to deal with maps.
Suggestions
Set it in Gotham with no supers, if you want! Or set it in the world of Solomon Kane, which has many lost and unknown cities.

Or...want to set it in 21st century Tokyo? Hong Kong? Shanghai in the 30ies (please do that O:))? Moscow in the 90ies? New Orleans? Rome during the early Empire? New York? Chicago (during Prohibition or not)? LA?
Tekumel? OK, "monster hunter" isn't even weird there...
Your home city, even if I've never heard of it?

As the above examples show - in the same line as the setting, the timeline can also vary. It can be Modern, and I suspect that would be the most likely option...but if a prospective GM decides to try the 20ies/30ies, the 80ies/90/ies, Industrial Revolution, the Dark Ages, Imperial Rome, and/or a non-European setting?
Yeah, I'm still fine!

Bottom line: I want the GM to feel comfortable with the setting. I can adapt, in all likelihood. In fact, trying to challenge me with setting interactions is welcome... ;D
Again, I am looking to interact with the setting, and to do the groundwork. Works just fine in Call of Chthulhu!

Now, on to the system...I really don't want to write a long list of systems I own. What's more, I don't want to make you read one, so let's keep it simple: if it's not a d20 or "narrative" system (which includes 2d20, and most PbtA variants, just to be clear), I probably have it already. And of course, most of the above "exceptions" are simply no good for the kind of game I want...

Unless it's Kult. That's one omission that's hard to rectify, though, since the only version I've found available is a PbtA one (see above).
Here's a short list.
List
Some editions of CoC including 7e, Aquelarre, some GUMSHOE games like Night's Black Agents, the Delta Green RPG, Haunts&Horros, Hoodoo Blues, In Dark Alleys, Unknown Armies 2&3 (obviously looking at street level, here), Maelstrom Classic/Rome/Gothic/Domesday, Warhammer Fantasy 1/2/4, Witcher RPG, Nemesis, Kuro RPG, Qin, Eclipse Phase 1e, A Dirty World, Myriad Song, WitchCraft/AMFBE, Solomon Kane RPG, Savage Worlds: Thrilling Tales, and I can also get a hold on a copy of Cryptworld, Conspiracy X, and/or Chill 2e...and of course, I've got assorted "generic" games - including Cepheus Modern - if you want to make your own setting...

And if there's a game you want to run that's not on the list, just ask! I might have forgotten to list it. Heroic Mortals in Exalted?
Overall, though, the system matters less to me than the setting - as long as the system brings believable results.

P.S.: If you've noticed my previous thread it didn't result in many hits, and my mood has kinda changed since then... so I decided to try something quite different!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

ihinka

I have a monster-hunting character (the human monster variety) I've wanted to revisit since forever. I think she would fit well into something like this... In fact, I think the Delta Green RPG would be a swell fit for her. With Malone being an ex-FBI.
How Do You Wanna Do This?!?
My O_Os - Updated 30/05/21 with some characters I'd like to find a home for

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: ihinka on September 21, 2021, 11:59:19 AM
I have a monster-hunting character (the human monster variety) I've wanted to revisit since forever. I think she would fit well into something like this... In fact, I think the Delta Green RPG would be a swell fit for her. With Malone being an ex-FBI.

Yeah, she looks like she'd fit right in. And I see in your request thread that you like Lovecraftian horror...

Either way, glad to see you expressing interest as well! Maybe it would help drum up some interest from a potential Referee/Keeper >:)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!