News:

Main Menu

Mister Rogers

Started by Kelvered, December 10, 2008, 01:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvered

So, browsing through the new incarnation of RPG.net's motivational poster thread, I spotted this:

And there were some questions about who the man was, and as I am wont to do, I decided to read up on him, despite thinking I already knew enough...

Taken from Esquire Magazine according to Wikipedia:

QuoteMister Rogers went onstage to accept the award — and there, in front of all the soap opera stars and talk show sinceratrons, in front of all the jutting man-tanned jaws and jutting saltwater bosoms, he made his small bow and said into the microphone, "All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are. Ten seconds of silence." And then he lifted his wrist, looked at the audience, looked at his watch, and said, 'I'll watch the time." There was, at first, a small whoop from the crowd, a giddy, strangled hiccup of laughter, as people realized that he wasn't kidding, that Mister Rogers was not some convenient eunuch, but rather a man, an authority figure who actually expected them to do what he asked. And so they did. One second, two seconds, seven seconds — and now the jaws clenched, and the bosoms heaved, and the mascara ran, and the tears fell upon the beglittered gathering like rain leaking down a crystal chandelier. And Mister Rogers finally looked up from his watch and said softly, "May God be with you," to all his vanquished children.

The quote might give the impression that some loons questioned his authority for more than a second.

I am not as in touch with religion as my parents would wish me to be. I never really cared for his show. It has been over two decades since I was even forced to watch one. I do not particularly regret these.

I do regret never having the chance to converse with him, however. Every time I look, I am again, impressed.
Nothing that is without compare has meaning. Comparison is how we define things, analyze things, and understand things.

Likewise, nothing that is without cause has purpose. It may very well be that all that is, simply, is.

About my fantasies.

The Overlord

I wasn't ever forced to watch him growing up...if anything, old Fred compelled us to watch, because he knew how to talk to us as children, and I think he still had a voice for us as adults. Despite the fact he was an ordained Presbyterian minister, I never got the feeling he was blatantly pushing that on screen. Mister Rogers knew how to teach, not preach, and we sorely need more like him in the world.

Nice to see the mascara run, and the tears falling upon the beglittered gathering...makes a nice case on how many lives he touched and are a little bit better because of him.

Interesting idea getting to talk to the man. I'm honestly not sure what I would have said to him, other than to thank him. Maybe you're making a difference on the other side too Mister Rogers...in fact I'd bet on it.  :)

Spookie Monster

I'm always glad to be reminded that there are some other fans of Fred Rogers on Elliquiy.  As I mentioned in this thread, he's a hero of mine.

Spel

The missionary mystic of peace / love...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Kelvered

I really would like to know what the man thought the future held. We need more like him, and, I think we will see more like him in the future.
Nothing that is without compare has meaning. Comparison is how we define things, analyze things, and understand things.

Likewise, nothing that is without cause has purpose. It may very well be that all that is, simply, is.

About my fantasies.

Aysleen

My daughter used to watch him when she was little, and consequently I ended up sitting on the couch watching too.  He had the most soothing way of speaking that he could render me so relaxed that even after a horrendous day at work I could let my stress go, and enjoy the rest of the evening, 

Mr. Rogers was my free tranquilizer!  I miss him!! ;)
Ons and Offs
* I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.
*We're all mad here.
* If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
*Curiouser and curiouser.