A Marvel Universe Of Our Own! (Interest Check Mutant & Mastermind Variant)

Started by Norsegod1839, December 04, 2017, 11:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Muse on December 13, 2017, 10:07:32 PM
  Did you settle on Mutants and MAsterminds? 

I might verry whihc way I go based on what system you do. 

i'm thinking either: 
  Ariana Flamel: grandaughter of a legendary alchemist, this up and coming magician has recently begun an email corespondance iwth the Sorcerer Supreme. 

Gabriel Bordelon: A handsome and muscular young man and perspiring writer, this mutant can tap into the collective creativity of humanity and solidify it into weapons and armor...  But he can be pained and even injured by the damaging of books in his vicinity! 

Peny Thrace, a cheerful young mutant with extraordinary psychokinetic power over copper. 

If your'e really short on Cannons, I could try Nightcrawler, Storm, or even Psylocke.

No one has to play a canon if they do not want to! If you want to do original characters then by all means go ahead!

And yeah Mutant and Masterminds is the system we are using!

TFcommando

Another canon possibility for me is Nico Minoru from Runaways, at a point where she has mastered some magic without the Staff.  The limited nature of the Staff of One could be done as a Variable power and a Complication like "Already Used That Spell."  Or even Unreliable, a 50/50 chance if she has a word she can use or not.

An OC I've wanted to do is the daughter of Hercules, a dry, bookish goth girl whose demigoddess nature (with super strength, durability and monster-fighting skill) awakens when some monster starts trashing the mall she's at and she kicks its butt.  So very much the opposite of her father (when he's around) and of the typical brick.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Muse

That daughter of herculese sounds awesome TF! 

Maybe if you apply with her I'll offer up Ariana? 

Are we using the traditional starting power level?  (10?)  Or since we're forming the Avengers for this time line, would 12 be more apropriate? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Norsegod1839

Quote from: TFcommando on December 14, 2017, 12:49:06 AM
Another canon possibility for me is Nico Minoru from Runaways, at a point where she has mastered some magic without the Staff.  The limited nature of the Staff of One could be done as a Variable power and a Complication like "Already Used That Spell."  Or even Unreliable, a 50/50 chance if she has a word she can use or not.

An OC I've wanted to do is the daughter of Hercules, a dry, bookish goth girl whose demigoddess nature (with super strength, durability and monster-fighting skill) awakens when some monster starts trashing the mall she's at and she kicks its butt.  So very much the opposite of her father (when he's around) and of the typical brick.

Both of those ideas sound awesome TF! I say do both if you want to! And you feel you can do both!

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Muse on December 14, 2017, 01:11:24 AM
  That daughter of herculese sounds awesome TF! 

Maybe if you apply with her I'll offer up Ariana? 

Are we using the traditional starting power level?  (10?)  Or since we're forming the Avengers for this time line, would 12 be more apropriate?

Muse it's whatever you guys feel is more applicable! I myself am new to the DnD stuff and this kind of thing so even though I am the one who opened the thread I am going to ask you guys a lot about these kind of decisions! The goal being to create the best thread possible!

Elf

As I said earlier I'm not familiar with the MnM system. How would a character created in Champions at the 300 point level relate here and convert?

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Elf on December 14, 2017, 11:56:20 AM
As I said earlier I'm not familiar with the MnM system. How would a character created in Champions at the 300 point level relate here and convert?

That's a good question Elf! And one I am honestly not sure of? I hate to sound like such a newb but I am also new to these systems! If you guys want to do the champions one that is fine to! My only desire is to go without a system thats relatively easy to learn and everyone can pikc up on.

Elf

Quote from: EroticLiteracy on December 14, 2017, 12:08:37 PM
That's a good question Elf! And one I am honestly not sure of? I hate to sound like such a newb but I am also new to these systems! If you guys want to do the champions one that is fine to! My only desire is to go without a system thats relatively easy to learn and everyone can pikc up on.

Thank you, I realized you would not have the answer. I'm hoping somebody with knowledge of both systems would have that answer.

TFcommando

Quote from: Elf on December 14, 2017, 11:56:20 AM

Shouldn’t be too hard.  A lot of MnM powers are just Champions ones with the cost divided by 5.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Muse

Mabye this will help a little?  It refrences a lot of Freedom City cannon characters, but if you think around that it should give thematic adivce: 

MUTANTS & MASTERMINDS POWER LEVELS
   Heroes in Mutants & Masterminds cover a diverse range of power levels, from the first costumed adventurers of the Golden Age, who relied solely on their skills and a few gimmicks (and modern vigilantes of the mean streets, who do much the same), to the greatest protectors of the world, who take on cosmic threats on a regular basis. The following are some common power levels and starting power point values suitable for different M&M games:

POWER LEVEL 8 - MASKED ADVENTURERS
   This power level fits the “Mystery Men” era of the Golden Age of comic books, as well as for teams of mostly non-powered adventurers: heroes who rely more on their skills and wits (and maybe a few gadgets) rather than amazing powers. The suggested starting value of 120 power points creates well-rounded heroes at this level, particularly if the emphasis is on skills and advantages—and maybe a power or two—rather than a lot of powers. Think Dr. Tomorrow and Foreshadow rather than Captain Thunder and Daedalus. A higher starting power point total allows for more diverse capabilities within the same limits.  Heroes at this level often focus more on skill than sheer damage output, often having fighting skills in the 10–12 range, but commensurately lower damage and effect ranks (using just their fists or small arms).

POWER LEVEL 10 - SUPER HEROES
   The suggested starting power level for Mutants & Masterminds suits mature and experienced “adventurers” of the previous level along with a wide range of younger or focused superhumans. This is the power level of the Sentinels, characters like Bowman and Seven, and a great many of other heroes. It’s also good for powerful, but relatively inexperienced heroes like Megastar when he first joined the Next-Gen.
   Power level 10 heroes may have a balance of attack and effect, defense and resistance, or may go for being stronger on one side than the other, having great combat skill, but comparatively limited damage, for example, or great Toughness, but lowered defenses.

POWER LEVEL 12 - BIG LEAGUES
   Power level 12 is where you find many of the members of the current Freedom League: Daedalus, Lady Liberty, and the Raven, to name a few. They are “senior” heroes, usually with considerable capabilities (and, often, experience). Those lacking superhuman powers (such as the Raven) have amazing levels of skill and resources to draw upon while the superhuman types are often among the most capable in their particular area, often worthy of titles like “King” and “World’s Greatest”.  In areas where power level 12 heroes tip the balance of their combat capabilities, they can have amazing ranks in attack (like the Raven’s Close Combat skill) or defense (like Daedalus’ Toughness). 

POWER LEVEL 14 - WORLD-PROTECTORS
   Heroes at this level are closing in on the power levels of the paragons of the Freedom City Universe like Centurion and Eldrich. They are largely capable of ignoring lesser concerns and tend to focus on “big picture” problems like alien invasions and world-conquerors along with natural disasters (although they may still handle some of the “small stuff” as well).  This is the level of the “heavy-hitters” of the Freedom League.

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Elf

Thank you.

Looks like based on these levels the character I have in mind created in Champions would fit into Power Level 12. Has some powers but truly high combat skills with a high potential for dishing out damage. His durability is on the low end for supers, his best defense is he is really hard to hit. Couple that with the amount of damage he can dish out he was labeled as the tank killer.

TFcommando

Quote from: Elf on December 15, 2017, 08:06:20 AM
Thank you.

Looks like based on these levels the character I have in mind created in Champions would fit into Power Level 12. Has some powers but truly high combat skills with a high potential for dishing out damage. His durability is on the low end for supers, his best defense is he is really hard to hit. Couple that with the amount of damage he can dish out he was labeled as the tank killer.

Taking out a tank is easy enough at PL10.  A "regular" damage 10 attack, the standard at PL10, with the Power Attack feat will reliably take out a tank in one shot.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Elf

Quote from: TFcommando on December 15, 2017, 12:47:17 PM
Taking out a tank is easy enough at PL10.  A "regular" damage 10 attack, the standard at PL10, with the Power Attack feat will reliably take out a tank in one shot.

Well by tank I and the other players that started calling him the tank killer, meant "brick", very high defense and strong villain. In those games it became rather common if the party's strong man could just exchange blows with the evil counterpart all day we would do an opponent switch. If PL10 is good enough though I'm not arguing.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: TFcommando on December 15, 2017, 12:47:17 PM

TF did you ever decide who you were going to be?

TFcommando

Quote from: Elf on December 15, 2017, 06:23:03 PM
Well by tank I and the other players that started calling him the tank killer, meant "brick", very high defense and strong villain. In those games it became rather common if the party's strong man could just exchange blows with the evil counterpart all day we would do an opponent switch. If PL10 is good enough though I'm not arguing.

The PL system is used to balance things between characters, so you can make a character good at taking on other tough characters without issue.

Quote from: EroticLiteracy on December 15, 2017, 06:30:39 PM
TF did you ever decide who you were going to be?

This one's even harder than the DC one!

So far I've got:
Spiral (Less corrupt than usual, perhaps more recently-changed or having an epiphany)
Tigra
She-Hulk
An OC brick powered up to Amazonian proportions, or even growth ones.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Nico Minoru
Illyana Rasputin/Magik/Darkchylde
Skullcracker/Heartbreaker, the goth-y daughter of Hercules

Hmm, Spiral and Illyana both have time and space moving powers.  One of them might have gotten wind of Kang's attack or saw the future where he ran rampant and then pulled this group of Avengers to do fight him, as an origin story.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

TFcommando

One thing I was wondering about... is this more of a "New" Marvel Universe, without any established teams or much "current" superhero history, or is there some history with other super teams, FF, X-Men and such existing for a while, and there just happened to be no Avengers until the PCs form them?

Several of my canon choices have a fair amount of (convoluted!) backstory, which would be a bit harder to work in if it was the former, and that's hard to shoehorn in.

Two more OCs:

A scantily-clad power armor type, a suit without much to it... a small backpack and arms/shoulders, with a force field for protection, and only a thong down below.  Maybe the arms morph into different weapons.  A sort of high tech version of Witchblade.  Perhaps a mix of human and recovered alien tech to explain why it's different from normal armored suits.

EDIT: Even better, a fragment Kang-tech that he left in the distant past, or the recent past as a seed for his invasion, again giving a connection to what's coming and a reason to form the Avengers.

A wind witch.  Picture Sabrina the Teenage Witch becoming a superhero, and having a primary focus on wind magics... riding a broom and everything, and passing it off as "normal" superpowers so she can practice her otherwise-secret witchcraft right in front of everyone.

Mulling over how to make Nico more accessible too.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Norsegod1839

Quote from: TFcommando on December 17, 2017, 12:32:54 AM
One thing I was wondering about... is this more of a "New" Marvel Universe, without any established teams or much "current" superhero history, or is there some history with other super teams, FF, X-Men and such existing for a while, and there just happened to be no Avengers until the PCs form them?

Several of my canon choices have a fair amount of (convoluted!) backstory, which would be a bit harder to work in if it was the former, and that's hard to shoehorn in.

Two more OCs:

A scantily-clad power armor type, a suit without much to it... a small backpack and arms/shoulders, with a force field for protection, and only a thong down below.  Maybe the arms morph into different weapons.  A sort of high tech version of Witchblade.  Perhaps a mix of human and recovered alien tech to explain why it's different from normal armored suits.

EDIT: Even better, a fragment Kang-tech that he left in the distant past, or the recent past as a seed for his invasion, again giving a connection to what's coming and a reason to form the Avengers.

A wind witch.  Picture Sabrina the Teenage Witch becoming a superhero, and having a primary focus on wind magics... riding a broom and everything, and passing it off as "normal" superpowers so she can practice her otherwise-secret witchcraft right in front of everyone.

Mulling over how to make Nico more accessible too.

It's a brand new universe of our own! So the histories and how much each team has been formed is entirely ours to make!

TFcommando

I'm going with the scanty power armor character, a tech- and all-around genius who discovered a super-advanced Kang weapon in ancient ruins, worked out its secrets and modified it into a powered battle suit.  Just not MUCH of a suit... it covers her arms and shoulders, the top half of her breasts and a little of her back, and that's it!  There's a small plate covering her pussy from the front, but nothing else can be worn with the force field the suit emits.  Think "Kill la Kill" style.

So, when the suit started showing a "recall" signal, she knew someone powerful and threatening was approaching and started/help start the Avengers to deal with it.  Sexually, she was repressed, or suppressed, putting all her efforts into her studies and research.  But now she's a scantily-clad superhero (even for superheroes) and is starting to explore what she's been missing out on.

Power-wise, she's a blaster-type, with a Variable Descriptor ranged damage attack and several different area effect ones and a Move Object tractor beam, but no close combat attacks.  Strong Impervious Protection and the usual flight and life support. 

I've got the sheet nearly done, the tricky part is coming up with a good name.  And a face claim, someone Japanese.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Elf

Norsegod1839

Quote from: TFcommando on December 17, 2017, 11:46:16 AM
I'm going with the scanty power armor character, a tech- and all-around genius who discovered a super-advanced Kang weapon in ancient ruins, worked out its secrets and modified it into a powered battle suit.  Just not MUCH of a suit... it covers her arms and shoulders, the top half of her breasts and a little of her back, and that's it!  There's a small plate covering her pussy from the front, but nothing else can be worn with the force field the suit emits.  Think "Kill la Kill" style.

So, when the suit started showing a "recall" signal, she knew someone powerful and threatening was approaching and started/help start the Avengers to deal with it.  Sexually, she was repressed, or suppressed, putting all her efforts into her studies and research.  But now she's a scantily-clad superhero (even for superheroes) and is starting to explore what she's been missing out on.

Power-wise, she's a blaster-type, with a Variable Descriptor ranged damage attack and several different area effect ones and a Move Object tractor beam, but no close combat attacks.  Strong Impervious Protection and the usual flight and life support. 

I've got the sheet nearly done, the tricky part is coming up with a good name.  And a face claim, someone Japanese.

Sounds good! Looking forward to seeing it TF!

Muse

Ditto!  I love her allready. 

I'd like to start building Ariana but don't know wehter to make her PL 10 or 12. 

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Muse on December 18, 2017, 05:13:25 AM
  Ditto!  I love her allready. 

I'd like to start building Ariana but don't know wehter to make her PL 10 or 12.

Pl10 is what I'd shoot for

TFcommando

I always feel I can fiddle with backstory and description stuff more, but here we go, the heroine in the revealing power armor, Daibuster.

Daibuster

Daibuster

PL 10  150 points

Attributes 30  PP
Strength 0
Agility 0
Fighting 0
Awareness 5
Stamina 0 (8)
Dexterity 0
Intellect 10
Presence 0

Defenses 11 PP
2 Dodge  2/8
2 Parry  2/6
2 Fort 2/10
- Tough. 0 (12)
5 Will 10

Beam Weapons +8 to hit/12 damage
Gatling Laser +12 to hit/8 damage

Skills: 10 PP 20 points

Expertise (Science) 5 (+15)
Expertise (Everything else) 0/10
Insight  0/5
Investigation 0/10
Perception 5 (+10)
Technology 10 (+20)
Treatment 0/10

Advantages 8 PP
Eidetic Memory
Equipment 2
Improved Initiative 1
Inventor
Jack of All Trades
Skill Mastery  (Technology)
Ultimate Effort (Technology)

Powers  91 CP

1 Tech Genius - Quickness 3 Technology Tasks Only

90 Daibuster Powersuit - Removable

33 Weapon Systems
*Beam Weapons Ranged Damage 12 Variable Descriptor 1 (energy weapons) Extended Range 1 Accurate 4  (30)
*Gatling Laser Ranged Damage 8 Multishot, Accurate 6 (30)
*Plasma Cannon Ranged Damage Burst 10 (30)
*Tractor Beam Move Object 10 Perception (30)

32 Gravitic Barrier System - Protection 4, Enhanced Stamina 8,  Impervious Toughness 12

14 Combat Computer - Enhanced Dodge 6, Enhanced Parry 4, Enhanced Advantage 2 Precise Attack 2 Ranged Cover & Concealment, Agile Feint, Move-By Attack

20 Gravity Driver Flight 10

9 Immunity 10 Life Support – Still Needs to Eat/drink -1

3 Holographic HUD Senses 3 Low-Light vision, Extended Vision 2

1 Temporal Anchor- Feature 1 Temporal Inertia

1 Morphing- Feature  Instant Change

Equipment
Secret Lab.  10 EP
Size Medium  1 Toughness 6 -
Concealed, Computer, Laboratory, Workshop, Security System, Power System, Fire Prevention System, Living Space, Library

Complications:

Motivation – Doing Good.  It's just the right thing to do!

Secret- Identity Maki keeps her identity  as a superhero a secret for the usual reasons, and some others unique to her.

Quirk – Curiosity  It's hard for her to resist a puzzle or connundrum! 

Enemy – High-tech villains  AIM and many solo tech villains would like to get ahold of Daibuster.  And her suit, to uncover its secrets.

Fame/infamy – The exposed nature of her appearance has made her a divisive public figure.  She has many fans but doesn't get invited public events often.

Makiko Izumi

Makiko Izumi is a polymath in her early 20s with multiple degrees and even more interests.  She combined two of her passions, technology and ancient history to invent a high definition ground-penetrating radar.  While putting this to use to research Mesopotamian ruins in Iran, she uncovered something that changed her life, and perhaps the future.  Buried among the ruins, untouched for 5,000 years was a gun.  A weapon advanced beyond all civilization with a computer more powerful than a supercomputer and a power output beyond belief.   

She'd been working on it in her tent for days, getting lost in what she was learning.  It was clearly made on Earth, the binary code and English-derived operating system proved that much.  It could morph its size and shape, acting as a mounted weapon or a handgun for people six to 12 feet tall.  Something mass-produced and able to configure to a wide variety of users and purposes.  The implications were staggering.  It was then that a group of mercenary villains attacked the camp.  One of the local diggers had taken a picture of the gun and sold it to someone who was willing to pay to have it for themselves.

Bullets flying through her tent broke Maki from her disassembly of the gun.  Working quickly, she got the weapon back together and working, finding it configured into a set of arm-mounted blasters.  A force field engaged around her just as more bullets cut through her tent.  While the newly-configured suit wasn't very modest, it was quite powerful and she took out the attackers.

She realized this weapon was a threat from the future, one that might come again, and she had a way to fight it.  And do good in general.   Also that the suit's settings had been locked in... the suit was able to change between a small, inert necklace or the very exposed “armor,” despite her best efforts. 

The Daibuster suit, as she named it, had rounded shoulder pods and articulated gloves with a thick module running the length of each forearm, connected across her collarbone and back  Pentagonal plates covered the top half of her breasts, just barely hiding her nipples.  A compact pack on her upper back helps connect the two arms from behind.  A triangle smaller than her hand goes over her sex, a last-minute addition she made when the suit was forming around her that first time.  A holographic HUD projected from a shoulder doubles as a mask across her eyes.  No shoes, her ass completely exposed.    Any sort of clothes or covering are completely incompatible with the gravitic barrier, much to her chagrin.  The field provides full environmental protection and may be a clothing replacement in the future it came from.  But today, Maki sacrifices her modesty every time she goes into battle... but part of her is starting to like it!  Almost as much as she likes the intellectual challenges being a superhero presents. 

The Daibuster suit was originally an ultra-tech firearm, able to shoot a wide variety of powerful energy beams.  Maki's hacks have expanded the function of the inertia-cancelling barrier into a gravitic force field stronger than a tank's armor.  It also allows for flight and remote object manipulation.  The forearms reconfigure into different energy weapons, a wide-angle plasma cannon, gatling laser, sniper laser, particle beam and more. 

Maki is a Japanese-American woman, 5'4” tall with a good-sized bust.  She favors cheap, loose clothing most of the time, as activating the Daibuster armor destroys whatever else she's wearing.  And sometimes she doesn't bother wearing clothes around the lab at all.

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Norsegod1839

TFcommando

Thanks.  Hopefully just the right amount of sexy and not too far.  A big inspiration was Kill la Kill, but also the old manga-inspired comic Metal Bikini.

A mix of:

Ryuko for the chest covering and backpack.

Satsuki for the bottom (held in place by technology!

Original concept from Metal Bikini:

And her general look (Nude) https://www.dropbox.com/s/89e1unk48zwjt0o/hosokaa_shinobu41.jpg?dl=0

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in