Call your representitives about Net Neutrality!

Started by Blank, October 20, 2017, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 14, 2017, 05:34:01 PM
+1 If they want to be a pain in our ass with this, then we sure as hell will be a major pain in their ass. >:)

We'll be the pain in entire freaking body if we must.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Oniya

Well, at least our AG is on the ball.  *grumbles something about a certain PA legislator and his tendency to robo-call during dinner*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ket

Quote from: Oniya on December 15, 2017, 12:44:37 AM
Well, at least our AG is on the ball.  *grumbles something about a certain PA legislator and his tendency to robo-call during dinner*

At least you're not in the used car salesman's district.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Aov

Sorry for being so pessimistic, but as someone that has been watching this slow-moving train-wreck form a couple thousand miles away, the end of Net Neutrality in America seems to be more and more certain as time goes by.

The vote passes through FCC, despite public outcry. States plan to sue FCC, but I'm willing to believe FCC and its "investors" have more than enough power to walk around these lawsuits. And it makes the state representatives look like they care about their people. Everyone has what they want (except for the citizens, of course).

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Aov on December 15, 2017, 06:04:15 AM
Sorry for being so pessimistic, but as someone that has been watching this slow-moving train-wreck form a couple thousand miles away, the end of Net Neutrality in America seems to be more and more certain as time goes by.

The vote passes through FCC, despite public outcry. States plan to sue FCC, but I'm willing to believe FCC and its "investors" have more than enough power to walk around these lawsuits. And it makes the state representatives look like they care about their people. Everyone has what they want (except for the citizens, of course).
Be that as it may, its better to lose with some real effort than just to flop over and be stepped on.

Valerian

It may not be safe to assume that the FCC will have bottomless resources for a prolonged court battle, either, considering how many established federal agencies the current administration is determined to defund / eliminate.  In any case, many states are also looking at passing state laws that will enforce net neutrality within their borders.  Pai claims the FCC could overrule such laws, but that's been tested in federal court before and the judges have disagreed.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Trieste

Yeah, the courts tend to allow states to impose stricter regulations piecemeal; it's when the states try to allow something that the feds have banned that courts tend to side with the federal government, at least in many cases. Marijuana and gay marriage notwithstanding.

Skynet

Since it is not entirely impossible that ISPs may slowdown or even outright block Elliquiy, how prudent would it be to copy-paste our stories and find alternate means of contacting long-time writing partners and friends?

I take it that the biggest websites will be fine, but I'd rather plan ahead than wake up one day and discover I have to pay $20 to $30 more a month just to log onto here, if not outright unable to get on here at all.

DominantPoet

If you're worried, back up the stories you wish to do so into word documents regardless. You can always update the backups with each new post periodically. While I think it's unlikely Elliquiy would be blocked on purpose or throttled or anything like that, should anything come to pass due to your IP's actions, at least you'll have the backups none the less.

At this point, I think the bigger worry is paying to access high profile sites and the like and having your speeds throttled unless you fork over more money for priority access each month. Even though it was repealed, there's a lot happening right now, everyone trying to figure out who can do what, who can sue who, the politicians possibly attempting to overturn the FCC decision, all of that. When the first IP starts doing some shit, however, is when people will see more clearly what they should be worried about, I would think.

Arianna

Quote from: DominantPoet on December 17, 2017, 03:04:29 PMWhen the first IP starts doing some shit, however, is when people will see more clearly what they should be worried about, I would think.
This.
I think the Reps were using this whole idea as their biggest argument: nothing happened prior to NetNeutrality, why would it now? One can only hope, until all is said and done, that we won't get to prove them wrong.

Sethala

I may be showing my technical ineptitude here, but if an ISP starts blocking traffic to a website, wouldn't it be possible to circumvent it with some sort of VPN or proxy server?  (Assuming they're not throttling/blocking connection to said VPN, at least.)

Oniya

Quote from: Sethala on December 18, 2017, 07:27:43 PM
I may be showing my technical ineptitude here, but if an ISP starts blocking traffic to a website, wouldn't it be possible to circumvent it with some sort of VPN or proxy server?  (Assuming they're not throttling/blocking connection to said VPN, at least.)

Technical ineptitude is what will keep most people from exploring alternatives.  (I'm honestly not sure, myself, how VPN usage would affect a deliberate throttling attempt.)  The end result is that those 'average users' are going to either pay more for 'premium access' or not use the sites in question.  One gets more money in the ISP's pocket, the other ends up starving out the website that the ISP has chosen to throttle (or drives people to 'ISP-approved' sites).

More technical users could probably find some way around it, and would then have to decide how to use that power.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

FarFetched

CS major here. A VPN wouldn’t do anything I’m afraid. If they throttled all incoming traffic, it would include VPNs, making them even slower than normal connections.

Oniya

Quote from: FarFetched on December 18, 2017, 11:11:57 PM
CS major here. A VPN wouldn’t do anything I’m afraid. If they throttled all incoming traffic, it would include VPNs, making them even slower than normal connections.

But what if it was a single site (or multiple particular sites) being throttled?  Like suppose (as in the past), that Comcast had an issue with Netflix.  Comcast throttles data from Netflix, customers complain, Netflix caves, speeds go back up.  (Source here.  Would using a VPN make a difference there?

Sethala

Side question:  Net Neutrality rules made it so companies had to treat all data equally, so they can't throttle speed to Netflix but keep fast speed to Youtube, for instance.  But companies could throttle all data, such as after hitting a certain speed cap (such as many prepaid cell phone providers offering so many gigs of data at 4G speed and throttling speed after that), right?  As long as they didn't let something through the throttled speed?

Oniya

I believe plans like that already exist.  I know I've seen a couple of people talk about how relatives complain about bandwidth usage without understanding what features actually use the most bandwidth.

FarFetched

Quote from: Oniya on December 18, 2017, 11:30:48 PM
But what if it was a single site (or multiple particular sites) being throttled?  Like suppose (as in the past), that Comcast had an issue with Netflix.  Comcast throttles data from Netflix, customers complain, Netflix caves, speeds go back up.  (Source here.  Would using a VPN make a difference there?
Unfortunately no. All a VPN does is mask the source of a connection by going through an intermediary computer. ISPs won’t know that you in specific are connecting to a throttled site, but it won’t change the connection speed, since the ISPs would be slowing down all traffic regardless of source.

TheGlyphstone

That was going to be my guess. A VPN affects/masks your origin point, but it doesn't change your destination point, and throttling happens at the destination.

Lustful Bride

So I don't know if its true but apparently Canada is now having its own issue of removing Net Neutrality. Can anyone confirm or explain?

http://allthecanadianpolitics.tumblr.com/post/168700807704/bell-cineplex-rogers-and-shaw-are-trying-to#notes

Lustful Bride

Sara Nilsson

Oniya

*dusts the thread off*

This just popped up in my recommended articles.  Call your Senators and let them know what you think.  And remember, midterm elections are coming up soon!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/9/17333108/net-neutrality-congressional-review-act-cra-resolution-vote-senate