No more wrestling in the Olympics?!?

Started by Teo Torriatte, February 12, 2013, 08:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teo Torriatte

http://news.yahoo.com/ioc-drops-wrestling-2020-olympics-111816483--oly.html

I'm not like a huge fan of it, but its been there forever, just struck me as a little odd, that's all.

RubySlippers

Odd, the original Olymoic games had it back in the day. Dropping it will offend the gods and goddesses!

Teo Torriatte

Mhmm yep that's what I was thinking! I wouldn't think that something that went that far back (and has been there for every modern Olympics as well) was even up for consideration.

elone

Unfortunately the olympics is is based on revenue. I just read an article on this on BBC news and it seems that their criteria for dropping sports has to do with audience, ticket sales, international participation and television ratings.

Avery Brundage, who faught to keep amateurism, must be rolling over in his grave.

Too bad that ratings drive the olympics these days as does professionalism. Potential sports that may be upgraded include golf.

I, for one, prefer the traditional olympic sports, but the committee seems to think they meed to continue to modernize the games.

Also noted, was that the ballots are secret as are the meeting discussions.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Lilias

So curling brings in more revenue? Or badminton? ::)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Teo Torriatte

Well curling is in the winter games, so not on the same list. You got me on badminton.  :P

CastorTroy

Hopefully this means there's room for darts.
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Current Roleplays: My Crown Jewel | Familial Ties | Daddy’s Out (Completed) |

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

CastorTroy

Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Lilias

Quote from: CastorTroy on February 12, 2013, 11:26:19 AM
Pssshhhh, Pankration!? Think of the kids!

I am! If they're gonna brawl, they'd better learn to do it right! :P
~Wendell Berry

CastorTroy

Quote from: Lilias on February 12, 2013, 11:29:27 AM
I am! If they're gonna brawl, they'd better learn to do it right! :P

Ahhhhh, you haven't tasted the flavour of darts - it's amazing! Strangely, I never realised wrestling was an Olympic sport.
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Avis habilis

Hades

If ratings and ticket sales is what determines which sports are included in the Olympics, maybe they should make some adjustments to the sport.  Something along the lines of this, perhaps?  >.>   <.<   O:)

TaintedAndDelish

I find wrestling kind of boring. Something more like WWF wrestling might stir up a little controversy.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/15800000/WWE-Smackdown-24th-of-september-2010-wrestling-15882720-622-389.jpg

Yes, its fake... so what, it sells.

Funguy81

Oniya

No one's mentioned the fact that they have four other martial arts listed:  Judo and taekwondo on the 'core list' with karate and wushu on the 'short list'.

Couldn't we just drop badminton instead?  Especially after the last go-round?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chris Brady

I think they should drop all of them, and bring back full on gladiatorial combat.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Mr. Oniya responded well to the suggestion of pankration.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

itsbeenfun2000

Badminton is actually a very popular sport in Asia. Wrestling however is popular all over the world. The USA wrestling has suggested to the USIOC that we boycot the games if wrestling is not put back on. USA wrestling also is worried that this will have an effect on college wrestling as some schools may try to get rid of it now that it is no longer an Olympic sport.

Oniya

Quote from: itsbeenfun2000 on February 15, 2013, 10:54:49 PM
Badminton is actually a very popular sport in Asia. Wrestling however is popular all over the world. The USA wrestling has suggested to the USIOC that we boycot the games if wrestling is not put back on. USA wrestling also is worried that this will have an effect on college wrestling as some schools may try to get rid of it now that it is no longer an Olympic sport.

In the last go-round, there was an incident where some of the players were not playing their best game - so that they could 'pick' which team they went up against next.  Eight women were disqualified for throwing matches.  I'd consider that as weight in moving badminton to the 'short list' or even off the table.

Caeli

Quote from: Oniya on February 16, 2013, 11:43:01 AM
In the last go-round, there was an incident where some of the players were not playing their best game - so that they could 'pick' which team they went up against next.  Eight women were disqualified for throwing matches.  I'd consider that as weight in moving badminton to the 'short list' or even off the table.

It might just mean that there's a need to change the way that the ladder is organized. The way that the Grand Slam tournaments are organized (tennis) comes to mind.

Personally, I love watching and playing badminton, and am disappointed that it is rarely broadcasted Stateside.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Hades on February 12, 2013, 04:33:16 PM
If ratings and ticket sales is what determines which sports are included in the Olympics, maybe they should make some adjustments to the sport.  Something along the lines of this, perhaps?  >.>   <.<   O:)

Well, Greco-Roman wrestling was originally done in the nude... :D

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 16, 2013, 03:10:15 PM
Well, Greco-Roman wrestling was originally done in the nude... :D

And oiled.  >:)

Sasquatch421

It sucks, but apparently Dana White sees it as a step for getting MMA into the Olympics...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1529469-dana-white-wrestlings-demise-could-bring-mma-to-the-olympics

Then again maybe now we can get Rodeo into the Olympics.... How well can an Ethiopian handle one ton of pissed off bull? Especially now when they mix how much Mexican Fighting Bull into them now just to make them meaner?

Pro Bull Riding - Victims of the Game

Although I think the Russian's might have fun with the Steer Wrestling.... Oh! Maybe some Cowboy poker as well?

Cowboy Poker Mesquite Rodeo August 10 2007

Brittany

In my personal opinion, it seems to be an argument of continued inclusion for the sake of the tradition. 

I loved the olympics and watched as much as I could, but at a time where you find yourself getting into sports you never expected you would (how fun was handball?!) there are some things that just didn't interest me and I couldn't get into them at all.  Horseriding, male gymnastics and wrestling to be precise.

My personal opinion doesn't decide what goes on the olympics, and I expect that countries such as the USA and Russia probably have more of an interest in wrestling given that it's a school/college sport.   But people here that I know share similar opinions.  If you have thousands or millions of these opinions, and they don't sell venues or get watched on television, then it is my belief that it should go.  If it isn't something people care for then the only real reason is to keep it for a minority audience and tradition for traditions sake.

Having said that, with MMA, Darts, Professional wrestling (as a choreographed event like ice skating) and Golf all making noises to be olympic sports, I can't say that the alternatives are that much better.  I'd prefer if they downsized it a bit personally, there were too many events and a lot of them weren't all that great.