Re-Discovering the World (Exploration/Adventure-Inspired D&D 5E)

Started by NightLux, April 20, 2017, 03:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightLux

Quote from: Snake on April 21, 2017, 01:34:53 PM
btw: Sorry about the large pic. I tried to size it down but the encoding didn't work for me. I must've put it in wrong

The syntax is [img height=xxx]http://or [img width=xxx] where xxx is the number of pixels.  For example, the picture at the top is 800 pixels wide, reproduced here (it also has padding but that's not important here).

However, if I change that to 400, you see this:

Under the spoiler is the full size.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

AndyZ

You have Height capitalized in the tag ^_^ just change it to height with a small h.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

NightLux

Quote from: greenknight on April 21, 2017, 01:42:27 PM
...or a UA ranger looking a hunter archetype.

A hunter will have some serious usage in this game.  Not everywhere you go has nice roads and shops to keep supplies, food and water in stock.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Snake

I considered a ranger too; maybe I'll multiclass into it.

But thanks for the image resizing code.

Question; HOw would an military officer survive the events that reshaped the world?

NightLux

Quote from: Snake on April 21, 2017, 01:50:02 PM
Question; HOw would an military officer survive the events that reshaped the world?

You wouldn't.  That was a thousand years ago.  Even infant elves born before are almost entirely dead.  The PHB mentions elves live upwards of 700 years, so assuming you get the equivalent of a 117 year old human (say the natural span is 80) that's our oldest person alive today, hitting 1000 would be exceedingly rare.  Maybe damn near impossible since a fantasy world is going to be a lot rougher than ours without access to some pretty hefty magic.

And if you did meet someone who remembered the time before the Second Catastrophe, be exceedingly nice because they're probably extremely powerful too.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: NightLux on April 21, 2017, 09:57:10 AM
Either of these works at first glance.  I didn't see what fighting style you were thinking of for the fighter (I assume TWF?).

Fighter style is Protection, he'll be throwing his shield up to try and block an enemy rude enough to go after some of the more squishy party members. Speaking of which, since it seems front liners will be more useful right now, I think 'll put Leo as my character for this game. I know you could work with a fragile party, but its easier if there are some tougher members. Oriros is withdrawn, at least for now.

Snake

Ah I see Lux! Well Could I reference one of those survivors as a sort of Idol for Caine? Like a person he measures his own accomplishments against.

greenknight

Yep, looks like a ranger, hunter as an archetype. Is the UA version good?

Also, I'm looking at playing a human with medium armor master. Can I possibly switch out the two shortswords (20gp) from basic gear and 5gp for a longsword and shield (25gp). I just don't like the "forced" TWF spec on baseline rangers.

CS incoming present

Name: Brannock
Race: Variant Human: Perception, Medium Armor Master
Ability Scores (before adjustments): Str 14, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 10
Ability Scores (after adjustments): Str 14, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10
Class and chosen class skills: Ranger: Athletics, Medicine, Nature
Archetype (if applicable already): (planning on hunter)
Background: (include skill and tool proficiencies) Outlander: Stealth (replacement for previous Athletics), Survival; Sylvan; musical instrument (viol or lute or flute)
Languages: Common, Elf, Goblin, Sylvan         
Weapons and Armor: Scale armor, longsword, shield, long bow and quiver of 20 arrows, dagger
Starting Other Gear: backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, waterskin, 50 feet of rope, hunting trap, traveler’s clothes, belt pouch, (viol or lute or flute), 3 gp
Spells 0-[Cantrips]; 1-[Spells]
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Bibliophilia

I know Kaija will appreciate any protection she can get on the front line.  -giggles.-  On the plus side, her feat lets her double the range of her spells, so she'll be well back and you guys won't have to worry as much about keeping yourselves between her and pointy things that want to kill her to death.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Bibliophilia on April 21, 2017, 02:20:53 PM
I know Kaija will appreciate any protection she can get on the front line.  -giggles.-  On the plus side, her feat lets her double the range of her spells, so she'll be well back and you guys won't have to worry as much about keeping yourselves between her and pointy things that want to kill her to death.

That is one problem with the Protection style, you have to be next to me for my to use it on you (and I can only do it once per round), but on the plus side, the enemy doesn't have to be adjacent, so I can block ranged attacks just as well, but still, it may be better for you to just stand back sometimes. Depends on the exact encounter.

greenknight

CS in my last post

and an avatar
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

Snake

Well between us it can work Lisz. YOu cover her sexy ass and I"ll go chop them to ribbons :3

Kathyan

Quote from: NightLux on April 21, 2017, 01:19:05 PM
Why?  If you're wearing heavy armor it doesn't matter.  You don't detect Dex penalties, page 145.  Don't get bonuses either.  You'd just be slow on the uptake in initiative.  Not necessarily a bad thing for a cleric.
I know about heavy armor, that's why I dumped dex but picking locks and disabling traps are still dex and even with the +1d4 from guidance I could still use a +1 or rather a +0 instead of a -1 plus proficiency. Could lower cha to 10 or could lower con to 13 and still be pretty tanky, AC18, DR 3/magic, retaliate with lightning/thunder when hit and cure as bonus action ;)

Oh also Lena would be pretty chaotic and mostly dominant in most cases but I would be seeking someone to share bonds with, someone who is her leader, and who dominates her as well. Either male or female by the way.

Bibliophilia

I fixed Kaija's sheet, Night and added her personality write-up and the ones from her Background.  I made up my own Flaw, since none of the ones in the book worked for me.  If you would rather I pick one of them, though, just let me know.

NightLux

Quote from: Snake on April 21, 2017, 02:12:46 PM
Ah I see Lux! Well Could I reference one of those survivors as a sort of Idol for Caine? Like a person he measures his own accomplishments against.

That works.

Quote from: greenknight on April 21, 2017, 02:17:08 PM
Yep, looks like a ranger, hunter as an archetype. Is the UA version good?

Also, I'm looking at playing a human with medium armor master. Can I possibly switch out the two shortswords (20gp) from basic gear and 5gp for a longsword and shield (25gp). I just don't like the "forced" TWF spec on baseline rangers.

Yes, UA version is good and so much better.

And as for gear, you can treat the value of those goods as gold if you'd rather do something else with it.  However, if they say "any martial weapon" don't go picking the most expensive one just to get some extra gold.  You know, like I always do.   ;D

Quote from: Kathyan on April 21, 2017, 02:57:42 PM
I know about heavy armor, that's why I dumped dex but picking locks and disabling traps are still dex and even with the +1d4 from guidance I could still use a +1 or rather a +0 instead of a -1 plus proficiency. Could lower cha to 10 or could lower con to 13 and still be pretty tanky, AC18, DR 3/magic, retaliate with lightning/thunder when hit and cure as bonus action ;)

Oh also Lena would be pretty chaotic and mostly dominant in most cases but I would be seeking someone to share bonds with, someone who is her leader, and who dominates her as well. Either male or female by the way.

I forgot about the skills, my bad.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

greenknight

Full version, in my fancy adaptation of the stat block format. Haven't chosen an instrument, yet.

Brannock
Human Outlander Ranger 1, Neutral Good
Armor Class 18 (scale armor and shield)
Hit Points 11 (1d10+1)      XP 0
Speed 30 ft.

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha
14 (+2)14 (+2)12 (+1)12 (+1)14 (+2)10 (+0)
Saving Throws Str +4, Dex +4
Skills Athletics +4, Medicine +4, Nature +3, Perception +4, Stealth +4, Survival +4
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Elf, Goblin, Sylvan

Features and Proficiencies
Proficiencies Light armor, medium armor, shields, simple weapons, martial weapons, musical instrument
Favored Enemy. You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against humanoids. Additionally, you have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.
Natural Explorer. You are a master of navigating the natural world, and you react with swift and decisive action
when attacked. This grants you the following benefits:

• You ignore difficult terrain.
  • You have advantage on initiative rolls.
  • On your first turn during combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted.
In addition, you are skilled at navigating the wilderness. You gain the following benefits when traveling for an hour or more:

• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s speed.
  • Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.
  • Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling, you remain alert to danger.
  • If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
  • When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
  • While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
Skill. You have proficiency in Athletics
Medium Armor Mastery. When wearing medium armor, you may add up to a +3 Dexterity bonus to AC and never suffer disadvantage to Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
Wanderer. You have an excellent memory for maps and geography and you always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around me. You can always find fresh food and water for yourself and up to five other people each day.

Actions
Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, 5 ft. reach, one target. Hit: 1d8+2 slashing damage or 1d10+2 slashing damage and AC 16 if used with two hands.
Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8+2 piercing damage
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, 5 ft. reach, one target. Hit: 1d6+2 bludgeoning damage or 1d8+2 bludgeoning damage if used with two hands and AC drops to 16.
Dagger. Melee Weapon Attack: 4 to hit, 5 ft. reach or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage

Additional Equipment
backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, waterskin, 50 feet of rope, hunting trap, traveler’s clothes, belt pouch, 3 gp

Age 20
Height 5’10”
weight 170 lbs
eyes green
skin tanned
hair brown

Personality
I’m driven by a wanderlust that keeps me moving through the forest. I’m never comfortable sleeping in the same place more than one night at a time. And the Forest is getting a bit small.

I’m always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, and sometimes breaking them.

Ideals
Man has many enemies in the wild places. I don’t sit back and defend, I find them where they live.

Bonds
??? ?

Flaws
I hate that I can never find a home, one place I can just stay put.[/f]

Brannock, half-elf alt
Half-elf Outlander Ranger 1, Neutral Good
Armor Class 15 (leather armor and shield)
Hit Points 11 (1d10+1)      XP 0
Speed 30 ft.

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha
14 (+2)14 (+2)12 (+1)12 (+1)14 (+2)12 (+2)
Saving Throws Str +4, Dex +4
Skills Athletics +4, Insight +4, Medicine +4, Nature +3, Perception +4, Stealth +4, Survival +4
Senses darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Draconic, Elf, Goblin, Sylvan

Features and Proficiencies
Proficiencies Light armor, medium armor, shields, simple weapons, martial weapons, musical instrument
Favored Enemy. You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against humanoids. Additionally, you have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.
Natural Explorer. You are a master of navigating the natural world, and you react with swift and decisive action
when attacked. This grants you the following benefits:

• You ignore difficult terrain.
  • You have advantage on initiative rolls.
  • On your first turn during combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted.
In addition, you are skilled at navigating the wilderness. You gain the following benefits when traveling for an hour or more:

• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s speed.
  • Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.
  • Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling, you remain alert to danger.
  • If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
  • When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
  • While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
Fey Ancestry.You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Skill Versatility. You have proficiency in Perception and Insight
Wanderer. You have an excellent memory for maps and geography and you always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around me. You can always find fresh food and water for yourself and up to five other people each day.

Actions
Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, 5 ft. reach, one target. Hit: 1d8+2 slashing damage or 1d10+2 slashing damage and AC 16 if used with two hands.
Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8+2 piercing damage
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, 5 ft. reach, one target. Hit: 1d6+2 bludgeoning damage or 1d8+2 bludgeoning damage if used with two hands and AC drops to 16.
Dagger. Melee Weapon Attack: 4 to hit, 5 ft. reach or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage

Additional Equipment
backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, waterskin, 50 feet of rope, hunting trap, traveler’s clothes, belt pouch, 3 gp

Age 20
Height 5’10”
weight 170 lbs
eyes green
skin tanned
hair brown

Personality
I’m driven by a wanderlust that keeps me moving through the forest. I’m never comfortable sleeping in the same place more than one night at a time. And the Forest is getting a bit small.

I’m always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, and sometimes breaking them.

Ideals
Man has many enemies in the wild places. I don’t sit back and defend, I find them where they live.

Bonds
??? ?

Flaws
I hate that I can never find a home, one place I can just stay put.

NightLux

Probably the last update I'll do today.  Since we're getting closer, I'll probably create some of the threads over the weekend.

• Laughing Hyena (Lord)

• Wheeler97 (Lord) - Paladin

• Snake (Lord) - Caine, male half-elf fighter

• AndyZ (Lord) - Miranda , female half-elf warlock (tentacles anyone?)

• RedPhoenix (Centurion) - Rosalie, female High Elf Wizard (ordinarily ordinary)

• LisztesFerenc (Lord) - Leo/Fighter or Oriros/Bard

• Countdown0 (Lord)

• Kathyan (Lady) - Lena, female human cleric

• Chulanowa (Lord)

• Bibliophilia (Lady) - Kaija, female human Sorcerer (Odds on dropping a fireball on her head?)

• eternaldarkness (Lord) - Tykel, male human Alchemist

• Muse (Lord) - Druid

• greenknight (Lord) - Brannock, male human ranger

Assuming those who expressed interest do join, if we get one more we can have three groups.  I mentioned it before, but it will really be one large group game - obviously groups won't be able to interact with each other while out in the field, but if you're all back in Starfall at the same time, go have fun.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kathyan

Oh if we are to have three groups running I would say then that Lena has two captains, or she hasn't decided who of those two to be her captain thus she follows commands of both, so as we are able to exchange groups I could see a situation where both of the other PCs could boss her around while also being a possibility that none in the current group could. ^^

White Wolf

Hey there, we chatted over PM earlier but I'm only getting a chance to post now having been at work all day haha. Here's my character idea :)

Name:   Repentance (Tiefling Virtue name)
Race:    Tiefling
Ability Scores (before adjustments): Str 14 Dex 11 Con 12 Int 11 Wis 11 Cha 14
Ability Scores (after adjustments): Str 14 (+2)Dex 11 (+0)Con 12 (+1)Int 12 (+1) Wis 11 (+))Cha 16 (+3) (Tieflings get +1 to Int and +2 to Cha)
Class and chosen class skills:Paladin; Divine Sense (Detects fiends, undead, celestials and consecrated and desecrated ground); Lay On Hands (Can draw from a pool of healing points to heal those she lays her hands on)
Archetype (if applicable already): N/A
Background: (include skill and tool proficiencies) Acolyte - Tools: N/A, Skills: Religion, Insight, Medicine, Athletics
Languages: Common, Infernal, Celestial, Draconic
Weapons and Armor: Longsword, Dagger, Chain Mail, Shield
Starting Other Gear: 20 GP, Pack
Blanket
10 candles
Tinderbox
Alms box
Prayer Book
2 blocks of incense
Censer
Vestments
7 days of rations
Waterskin
Holy Icon
Spells 0-[Cantrips]; Thaumaturgy

The stars are coming right. Is this really the end?

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Kathyan on April 21, 2017, 04:08:48 PM
Oh if we are to have three groups running I would say then that Lena has two captains, or she hasn't decided who of those two to be her captain thus she follows commands of both, so as we are able to exchange groups I could see a situation where both of the other PCs could boss her around while also being a possibility that none in the current group could. ^^

Leo is based off viking culture, hence the barely literate nobility who live in a cold climate, fight and attack others, so maybe something could be worked out between him and Lena? Maybe they respect each others abilities, but perhaps Leo's more brutish ways reminds her a little too much of her former companions for her to commit fully, at least for now.

NightLux

Whattaknow, I'm actually waiting for people to show up.  So in the effort to keep it updated...

• Snake (Lord) - Caine, male half-elf Fighter

• AndyZ (Lord) - Miranda , female half-elf Warlock

• RedPhoenix (Centurion) - Rosalie, female high elf Wizard

• LisztesFerenc (Lord) - Leo/Fighter or Oriros/Bard

• greenknight (Lord) - Brannock, male human Ranger

• White Wolf (Lord) - Repentance, female tiefling Paladin

• Kathyan (Lady) - Lena, female human Ceric

• Bibliophilia (Lady) - Kaija, female human Sorcerer

• eternaldarkness (Lord) - Tykel, male human Alchemist

• Countdown0 (Lord)

• Chulanowa (Lord)

• Muse (Lord) - Druid

• Laughing Hyena (Lord)

• Wheeler97 (Lord) - Paladin

If those of you who expressed interest can get your characters completed, I think we might be able to migrate over the weekend and get things moving next week, at least with two of the full groups.  I'll work on that in the morning.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Countdown0

Name: Varanos Girand
Race: Half-Elf (skills are Deception & Perception)
Ability Scores (before adjustments): STR: 10, DEX: 13, CON: 13, INT: 10, WIS: 12, CHA: 15
Ability Scores (after adjustments): STR: 10, DEX: 14, CON: 14,: INT: 10, WIS: 12, CHA: 17
Class and chosen class skills: Sorcerer; Skills are Arcana & Insight
Archetype (if applicable already): Draconic Bloodline (Gold)
Background: (include skill and tool proficiencies) Noble; Skills are History & Persuasion; Tool Proficiency: Dragonchess
Languages: Elvish, Common, Draconic, Dwarvish
Weapons and Armor: Quarterstaff, Dagger, no armor
Starting Other Gear: Fine clothes, a signet ring, scroll of pedigree, Dragonchess set, pouch of 25 gold, 750 gold (class average) for additional starting gear - currently unspent
Spells: 0-[Fire Bolt, Frostbite, Create Bonfire, Friends]; 1-[Sleep, Shield]

Varanos cuts a striking figure, taller than most half-elves with a lithe build and what at first seemed almost a naturally haughty visage. At a distance, his eyes may seem a deep yellow or perhaps a dark brown, but upon closer inspection, they carry a distinct golden hue, as does quite a lot of the blonde hair he keeps swept away from his face. Even the areas on his body where his skin if thinner over more pronounced bones - like his cheeks, knuckles, elbows, collar, etc. - a slight sheen of gold can be spotted. It comes with the bloodlines when one's great grandfather is a gold dragon, so he learned to get over the curious glaces of others rather quickly when they notice the tiny scales that blend in to parts of his skin. As the heir to the Girand family, his parents would typically prefer that he keep out of trouble and not go about flaunting his natural magical prowess. They tried to have him schooled at a young age to channel and control the arcane magics he has access to, but book learning didn't take. It was always apparent that he preferred to figure it out himself and use his instincts than to have to read spells out of a book or write them on a scroll. Perhaps pride kept him from becoming a naturally gifted wizard, but without that same pride, he wouldn't be the man he is today, and that would certainly be a bad thing, wouldn't it? *cheeky wink*

(All right, here's the character sheet. *edit* Got the picture in there, hope its suitable/not ugly and repellent to everyone's eyes.)
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Wheeler97

Decided to go Barbarian for something different... Lots of Charisma-based characters already.

Name: Roan Sawyer
Race: Half-Orc (Skill: Intimidate)
Ability Scores (before adjustments): Str: 14, Dex: 14, Con: 15, Int: 8, Wis: 10, Cha: 10
Ability Scores (after adjustments): 16 (+3), 14 (+2), 16 (+3), 8 (-1), 10 (+0), 10 (+0); Half-Orc adds +2 Str, +1 Con
Class and chosen class skills: Barbarian, Perception and Athletics
Archetype (if applicable already): N/A (Probably Berzerker)
Background: (include skill and tool proficiencies) Folk Hero, Animal Handling and Survival, Vehicles (Land) and Carpenter's tools.
Languages: Common and Orc
Weapons and Armor: Greataxe, Handaxe x2, Javelin x4
Starting Other Gear:
Explorer's Pack
Backpack, a Bedroll, a Mess kit, a Tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of Rations, and a Waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of Hempen rope strapped to the side of it.
, set of Carpenter's Tools, shovel, iron pot, common clothes, 10gp
Spells 0-[Cantrips]; 1-[Spells] N/A

Roan grew up with a rather simple childhood, and that is something he deeply appreciates. His human father, Harbin, is a carpenter, and his half-orc mother, Belika, tended gardens. He wasn't the only half-orc child in the hamlet of River's Bend, nearly two week's travel from Starfall, and most other families were respectful of their neighbors. This meant he was spared the typical bullying half-orcs in larger towns expect. The woman that passed as River's Bend's schoolteacher died of illness when Roan was nine or ten, and that was the end of his formal education. He quickly learned the value of a hard day's work, first carting his mother's pickings around town and eventually working with his father as a woodcutter, then learning the trade of a carpenter.

Four years ago, days of heavy rains caused the river of River's Bend to flood. Roan had been hauling a wagon's load of lumber down from the hills above the town, fighting the muddy trails the whole way. In a mix of terror and frustration, he leaped down from the wagon, cut his family's horses loose from the wagon, and ran. Before long he was wading and then swimming to his family's home. He found it empty. With his mind a frantic blur, he only vaguely remembers swimming through that frigid water from house to house as he followed cries for help. He saved three families that afternoon, swimming them two by two to safety. The next day he received help, as some of the men that survived returned in small boats they managed to salvage downriver. And the next day he was relieved to find his parents safe, returning from a delivery to a family friend a day's travel away. Reluctantly, Roan was hailed as a hero, the "Hand of (Ilmater)" for his endurance and compassion. He felt that his motivation wasn't worth the praise; he was trying to find his parents. It just wasn't right to swim away from the people he came across.

With so many homes damaged, crops and livelihoods washed away mere weeks before the harvest, most of the residents of River's Bend were forced to pack up their belongings and move on. The Sawyer family had a decent savings and continued as far as Starfall. Father and son struggled and failed to rebuild their carpentry business in the city. Taking whatever work he could, Roan took to the city... poorly. The vices within Starfall are constantly calling. Facing his demons, Roan is convinced he needs a change of scenery.

Character Portrait

Bibliophilia

-is giggling entirely too much at the image of Charo making character portraits and cuchi-cuchi-ing all the while.-