News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Winter is Coming [L5R]

Started by BraveEarth, July 08, 2012, 10:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BraveEarth

The year is 1174 one year after the end of the Destroyer War, and the Rokugani Empire enjoys a peaceful year. Winter Court in Kyuden Doji will soon be in full swing and the Crane have already sent out many invitations to the Great Clans and a few Minor Clans to ask for their attendance. You are one of the Samurai chosen to attend the Crane Winter Court by your Daimyo to keep relations with the Crane and the hopefully gain some favor for your Clan. You are warned though of the Crane's strength in the court, their master of rhetoric, and their subtle tricks to lull their guests into complacency. Winter is Coming, and you will have to keep your wits during.

This is going to be a 4th Edition Legend of the Five Rings game, I am following the canon up to the year I put down and I will post a link to the wonderfully kept wiki to help you with getting an idea of the setting and political climate. As far as character creation goes I want you to answer the 20 questions you find in the core books Character Creation chapter, and I want to run this as a Insight rank 2 game, I won't put an restrictions on how your raise it yet so long as people don't make me. (Please don't.) I want 6 players in total to start with, and NO Spider Clan members. I will approve all characters individually and if you have any questions feel free to PM me

Players

• Mirumoto Takumi - Chris Brady
  • Liang - kckolbe
  • Tsi Chigiri -Katina Tarask

•    
Character Sheet: Name - School / Rank

Description / Background

Insight:

Earth  (Stamina  / Willpower )
Water  (Strength  / Perception )
Fire  (Agility  / Intelligence )
Air  (Reflexes  / Awareness )
Void

Current Void:

Initiative:

TN to be hit:

Wounds: Current -
Healthy (+0):
Nicked (+3):
Grazed (+5):
Hurt (+10):
Injured (+15):
Crippled (+20):
Down (+40):
Out :

Skills:
Skill (Emphasis): Rank – Attribute

School Techniques / Spells

Katas / Kihos

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Heritage

Equipment:

Honour:
Glory:
Taint:

XP Spent:

1. WHAT CLAN DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
A character's clan is their most defining characteristic because each clan has a well-established and distinct set of philosophies, prejudices, and ideals. Whether a character adheres to the stereotypes of his clan or breaks them, one way or the other they will prove very important to his personality.
2. WHAT FAMILY DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
Just like a character's clan, a character's family is an especially important defining characteristic. The stereotypes of each clan are broad, but individual families within the clan have much more specific, detailed roles and attitudes that further define the identity of the clan and those who serve it.
3. IS YOUR CHARACTER A BUSHI, A SHUGENJA, OR A COURTIER?
Duty is an essential aspect of every samurai's life, and establishing exactly what manner of duty a character is obligated to perfrom in an important step in breathing life into him or her. Is the character a warrior and soldier, a priest and scholar, or a diplomat and politician?
4. HOW WOULD OTHERS DESCRIBE YOUR CHARACTER’S APPEARANCE?
Every character should have a rough description in order to give him some sort of life when describing him to others. What is the character's most striking feature? Does his mood come through in his appearance or is he inscrutable? Does he make other feel at ease, or make them uncomfortable?
5. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S PRIMARY MOTIVATION?
Though all samurai are, in theory, solely devoted to fulfilling the wishes of their lord, most have their own foals as well. Some may be simple, such as maintaining the honor of your ancestors, while other may revolve around the recovery of a lost heirloom or the avenging of a slight to your family's honor.
6. WHO IS THE PERSON YOUR CHARACTER TRUSTS MOST IN THE WORLD?
Characters should have developed background in order to facilitate roleplaying. This question not only includes the individual's identity, but how that person met the character, why they are so close, and other similar questions.
7. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S GREATEST STRENGTH AND WEAKNESS?
Strengths are what others see as respectable or admirable in the character, while weaknesses are what he would struggle to hide from others, lest they look down upon him for his failures. What does the character regard as his strengths and weaknesses, and how does this differ from his actual abilities?
8. WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER THINK OF BUSHIDO?
Although all samurai pay homage to the code, most Clans and families revere certain tenets over others. Which does the character consider the most important and which does he consider inconsequential? Do his views differ from those of his Clan?
9. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S OPINION OF HIS CLAN?
Of course all samurai are loyal and devoted servants of the Clan, but that does not mean they do not have their own opinions. Is the character a martial vessel of a pacifistic Clan? Or is he a pacifist in a society of warriors? Does he disagree with the Clan's current enmities and alliances?
10. IS YOUR CHARACTER MARRIED?
Marriage is very important institution in the Empire of Rokugan. A samurai's spouse is responsible for the managing the estate, and actually wield considerable  political power depending upon the size of their holdings. Was the character's marriage arranged, or is he or she still betrothed? Is it someone the samurai actually met, or a complete stranger? Is there a case of true lover that will interfere with the wedding, or will the samurai embrace duty over the wants of the heart?
11. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY PREJUDICES?
Most Clans are negatively predisposed against at least one other Clan, most often as a result of conflicts that have endured for decades or even centuries. Is the character one who readily  subscribes to these prejudices or has he developed his own dislikes of other Clans, even allied Clans, based on his own experiences?
12. TO WHOM DOES YOUR CHARACTER OWE THE MOST LOYALTY?
The simplest answer to this question would of course be "The Empress" by very few samurai have the honor to serve the Daughter of Heaven directly, instead serving someone in a long chain of authority that could included the Emerald Champion, The Clan Champions, the family daimyo, the provincial governors, or even the local magistrate. Whom does the character serve immediately, and is that person the one to whom he is the most loyal?
13. WHAT ARE YOUR CHARACTER’S FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE THINGS?
This could address a wide variety of responses, including material possessions, activities, locations, or almost anything else that could spring to mind. Why does the character revere these things? What significance do they have to his history?
14. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY RECURRING MANNERISMS?
Since everyone tends to act according to the same protocol and etiquette, minor and inoffensive details of behavior tend to get noticed more frequently. Does the character chew his lip when he is nervous? Perhaps he has a unique greeting that he prefers to use. What does he do with his hands when nothing is going on?
15. WHAT ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER’S EMOTIONS?
A true samurai is not supposed to show emotion, but no one is completely disciplined at all times, and everyone demonstrates to some degree of emotion at one point or another. What emotion is the character most likely to display when circumstances arise? What are the things that push him to the edge most easily, and which emotions are the easiest for him to hold in check?
16. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER HANDLE A SUBORDINATE’S IMPROPER BEHAVIOR?
The actions of a subordinate reflect the honor of his superior and in such cases a superior has considerable amount of leeway in dealing with a subordinate. Is the character the sort to demand the subordinates seppuku over even a minor infraction (something that could get the character into significant trouble very quickly), or will he forgive the behavior and attempt to correct it?
17. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER’S PARENTS DESCRIBE HIM?
Devotion to one's parents is considered proper behavior for any samurai, but devotion can be offered without any real respect between parent and child. Does the character have a proper relationship with his parents or are they estranged? Was the character's upbringing a source of joy or dismay for his parents? Are they still alive, or were they taken from the character at a younger age?
18. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S HIGHEST AMBITION?
Desire is a sin, but ambition tempered by duty is considered acceptable among most in the samurai caste. Bushi often aspire to become military leaders, for example, while courtiers desire nothing more than to rule over others at influential courts. What is the character's ultimate goal and, perhaps more importantly, how far is she willing to go in order to accomplish it?
19. HOW RELIGIOUS IS YOUR CHARACTER?
Among bushi and courtiers, the levels of religious devotion vary widely. Shugenja are of course religious, but even among their ranks some are more reverent than others. Is the character one to offer frequent prayers and make trips to the temple, or has she dismissed the need for religion and instead embraced the rule of steel in her life?
20. HOW WILL YOUR CHARACTER DIE?
This is a very important and intimidating question, but one that should be given consideration. Every samurai lives a few short feet from death, and death is a threat that can rear its head on any day of a samurai’s entire life. What is the character’s destiny? How will he meet his end when the time comes for him to join his ancestors, or to rejoin the universe as part of the Celestial Wheel?

Wiki Link : http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Legend_of_the_Five_Rings_Wiki

Chris Brady

Working on a Dragon duelist/bodyguard.  Not sure what I want to call him, yet.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Pumpkin Seeds

I'd love to play, but unsure what I would like to play.  Thinking Kitsuki magistrate.

kckolbe

I love both L5R and PumpkinSeeds, so this is definitely tempting.  Also, a chance to play insight 2!
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

Kitsuki Magistrate it is.  Make a little Rokugan Sherlock..  >:)

Muse

Oooh!  Oooh!   Oooh!  May I play? 

What do you think, Pumpkin, should I reprise Kyou? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Chris Brady

Here is Mirumoto Takumi, a relatively young Dragon Swordsmith and Duelist, whose wayward nature got him partially 'exiled' from the clan.

Mirumoto Takumi         
Clan: Dragon
School: Mirumoto Rank 2

Air: 2
   Reflex: 3
   Awareness: 2
Earth: 2
   Stamina: 3
   Willpower: 2
Fire: 3
   Agility: 3
   Intelligence: 3
Water: 3
   Strength: 3
   Perception: 3
Void: 2
   Void Points: 2

Skills:                     Mirumoto School Rank 2
Defense: 3                  Way of the Dragon
Iaijutsu: 2                  The Calm In Midst of The Thunder
Kenjutsu (Katana): 5
Lore: Shugenja 2
Lore: Bushido 1
Lore: Rokugani Geography 2
Meditation: 1
Theology: 1
Craft:  Weaponsmithing 3
Athletics: 3
Etiquette: 1
Jujutsu: 3
Kyujutsu: 3
Perform: Storytelling 3

Advantages:                  Disadvantages:
Balance (2)                  Bad Fortune: Unknown Enemy (-3)
Benten's Blessing (3)                    Infamous (-2)
Crab Hands (2)                       Lecher (-2)
Dangerous Beauty (3)
Darling of the Scorpion Court (2)
Sacred Weapon: Twin Sister Blades (3)
Voice (3)

Kata: STRENGTH OF THE DRAGON (Ring/Mastery: Fire 3 Schools: Any Dragon bushi Effect: While wielding a katana in your main hand and a wakizashi in your off hand,you gain a +3 bonus to your Armor TN)

Glory: 1.5         XP Spent: Oodles
Honour: 4.5      Insight: 150

Gear:
Twin Sister Blades (Identically length Daisho, they just LOOK the same length-ish, there's no rules changes), Light Armour (TN 5), Sturdy Clothes, Bow w/Quiver 20 arrows, Traveling Pack, 2 Koku, Several Pillow Books (detailing the true escapades of his direct ancestor),

Travelling pack contains:
Blacksmith's Hammer, Bottle of Sake, Chopsticks, Coin Purse, Ink Brush Kit, Metal Kitsune Mask, Set of Dice, Spare Kimono and Sandals, Travelling Cloak, Wide Brim Hat

The twenty Questions:

Questions:

1. Dragon

2. Mirumoto

3. Bushi

4. Wickedly good looking with an 'evil' smile.

5. Perfecting the blade, whether by craft or use.

6. He trusts only in himself.  This is not to say that he can't make friends, it's just at the end of the day, the only one who can get him out of whatever situation that he's in, is himself.  Oshiro taught that self-reliance is as important as duty to others can be.

7. His strength is Balance in all things, as is his weakness.  He doesn't seem to excel at anything, but neither do he seem lacking.

8. Bushido is but one code to follow.

9. Proud of the Dragon Clan, although he wishes their reputation for inscrutability wasn't so well earned.

10. He is not married, likely due to a certain incident.

11. He tends to be overly tolerant to anything not of the Shadowlands or Hell.

12. A select few inside his clan, so far.

13. His favourite thing is simplicity, whether in a moment, in a blade or other facet of life.  His least favourite is noisy crowds.

14. No real mannerisms, which is unique in itself, he has no visible habits.

15. Unlike most Bushi, he enjoys expressing himself in moderation, he has an infectious laugh, and generally has a genuine smile for everyone he meets.

16. He will always try to forgive and correct any errant behaviour.  It's easier to fix than replace.

17. His parents would describe him as quiet, kind and odd.  They fully expected him to be a Shugenja, and then there was that incident...

18. His highest ambition is to be the greatest swordsman ever.

19. He's not very religious, preferring to trust in himself over the vagaries of fate.

20. He will die alone, but after his seven breaths.  Or so he believes.

Quote from: HistoryHe was born to a humble family of Dragon swordsmiths, and seemed have an incredible talent for speaking to the spirits in the forge.  As such his parents suggested that he go to the Tamori Clan for instruction to become a Shugenja.  No one realized that he didn't speak to them, they spoke to him.  So when they discovered he had no talent for it, they were at a loss as to what to do next.  But then Master Oshiro saw something in him and they were happy, despite the old Bushi's noted eccentric teaching methods.  Gen (as he was known then) was ever the dutiful son, and only wanted to have his parents approval, and so he joined the old man on his trips to various sights of Rokugan.

Despite hearing some rumours of some of the more 'unique' adventures they may have had, they were happy to see that Takumi growing to be a skill and worldly swordsman.  They didn't realize how worldly until the recent incident involving the Dragonfly Princess, her Tsuruchi Samurai-ko Yojimbo, two bokken, some whip cream and an orange.

When they gave him the name of a famous ancestor on his Gempuku, whose 'adventures' were detailed in several series of racy pillow books, they did not expect him to live up (down) to his example.  Although the original Mirumoto Takumi was skilled with the Katana, this was not how he is remembered.

Fortunately, instead of having to commit Seppaku, various forces (namely the women involved) conspired to get him exiled from the clan, for at least a little while.  He was assigned to be a Yojimbo and Shugesha (student of the sword), and sent to the Crane court for the winter, hoping for him to learn a bit more of etiquette.  Either that, or scandalize the Crane into silence...

However, it would seem he annoyed someone, for there have been little incidents, attempts on his life.  A rock here, an errant arrow there, a dropped Bonsai tree, something potentially dangerous, but nothing overt, all little accidents that could happen to anyone.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Pumpkin Seeds

Question - Should I create the Kitsuki to be more a politician or an investigator? 

Sel Nar

I would have offered to join, but the last time I picked up L5R books was around 15+ years ago, and what books I did have in my collection have long-since disappeared due to a variety of reasons. So, sadly, I guess I'm out of the running.

BraveEarth

Pumpkin I think you should do investigator, but also have some politcal skills given where they are and also persuading their strange methods in such a traditional place. Should be awesome. And I'm sorry to hear that Sel, hopefully we get a more people interested.

Wraith

I'd like to try this out, if you don't mind a system and setting newbie. My corebook has been gathering dust until now.

Since this is taking place in the Crane Court, is a Crane a viable character? If not, I'll probably go Crab or Unicorn.
Surreal's sweet obsession <3

Wraith's Disappearance Act (A/As)

BraveEarth

Of course Crane are allowed again the only Clan I don't wish to see here is the Spider >.>

BigBuckBob

Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

kckolbe

I am going to bow out, plenty of folks on board already.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

This is definately a Dragon loving group.

BraveEarth

Pumpkin I'm definitely noticing this. And kckolbe, The more the merrier my friend one above six isn't going to break my back.

Marie Reynolds

I would love to be apart of this but alas i will be out to sea until the 26 of july and my ability to get on this site due to security of government computers will be spoty at best. so i was hoping i could atleast be left in consideration till i arrive back in japan.

Wraith

Crane it is! I'm thinking a Doji right now. I'll have the sheet up in a day or so.

Muse

I've settled on a Unicorn Clan shugenja.  I'll try to get her together in the next day or so. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Wraith

Well, here's my Doji. First character I made using this ruleset, so I'm sure I've made a few mistakes.

Character Sheet

Name: Doji Okubo      
Clan: Crane
School: Kakita

Air: 3
   Reflex: 3
   Awareness: 3

Earth: 2
   Stamina: 2
   Willpower: 2

Fire: 3
   Agility: 3
   Intelligence: 3

Water: 2
   Strength: 2
   Perception: 3

Void: 2
   Void Points: 2

Skills:                     Kakita School Rank 2
Etiquette: 2                  Way of the Crane
Kenjutsu (Katana, Wakizashi): 4             Speed of Lightning
Kyujutsu (Yumi): 3
Sincerity: 2
Tea Ceremony: 1
Calligraphy (High Rokugani): 2
Courtier: 2
Lore (Bushido): 3
Lore (Crane): 2
Lore (History): 2
Lore (Art): 2
Lore (Theology): 1
Meditation: 2
Perform (Flute): 3
Battle: 2
Defense: 2
Athletics: 2
Jiujitsu: 3
Knives (Tanto): 2

Advantages:                  Disadvantages:
Balance: 2                  Bad Fortune (Secret Lover): (-3)
Allies: 3 (Devotion - 1, Influence - 3)   Dark Secret                           
Dangerous Beauty: 3
Clear Thinker: 3
Higher Purpose: 3
Sacred Weapon (Kakita Blade): 5
Soul of Artistry: 4
Virtuous: 3

Glory: 1         XP Spent: 164
Honour: 6.5
Insight: 167

Gear:
Kakita Blade (Katana), Light Armour (TN 5), Sturdy Clothing, Traveling Pack, 8 Koku, Wakizashi, Tanto, Bow (Yumi), Flute, Quiver, 30 Willow Leaf arrows[/code]

Travelling pack contains:
Bottle of Water, Chopsticks, Coin Purse, Ink Brush Kit, Spare Kimono and Sandals, Travelling Cloak, Wide Brim Hat, Daisho stand, Fan, Miniature shogi set[/spoiler]

The twenty Questions:

[spoiler]Questions:

1. Crane
2. Doji
3. Bushi
4. Beautiful and serene, with a calm smile on his face at all times.
5. To uphold the tenets of Bushido to the advantage of his daimyo and his clan, to the best of his abilities.
6. His twin sister, Doji Hanako. They are one soul in two bodies.
7. His strength is serenity in the face of adversity. His weakness is boldness when caution is called for.
8. The mark of a true samurai is his adherence to Bushido. While Courtesy is important, he believes Honor is the most important of all. Honesty can be troublesome, especially in a court full of deception.
9. The Crane uphold civilization in Rokugan. That does not mean they do not fall prey to the weaknesses that plague other clans.
10. He is betrothed, but his parents have not yet seen fit to tell him who it is they've pledged his hand to. Occasionally, he worries that this means the marriage is to a Clan he finds less than admirable, but he never dwells on the matter, trusting in his parents.
11. He disdains barbarism, so that the Scorpion, the Crab and the Unicorn rank low in his esteem. He gives the Crab some leeway, given their onerous duties, but he still does not like to spend time with one. A personal experience has made him wary about trusting the Pheonix without reservation.
12. He is loyal to the Clan and its Champion.
13. His favourite thing is beauty, which he finds everywhere he looks. His least favourite thing is boorishness or raucousness, which distracts one from more seemly contemplations.
14. He has a trademark smile. If it vanishes, matters have become serious. He also has a habit of tapping his fingers when impatient or lost in thought.
15. A Doji is always in control. He achieves this by finding serenity in everyday life. If the mask is broken, it is likely that anger and contempt will spill through. It is, however, very hard to break that mask. He is adept at controlling his emotions, largely by deflecting them.
16. Forgiveness requires penance. If the impropriety came from incompetence or ignorance, one such as that is not worthy of serving a Crane. If it was a minor infraction, some leeway can be given, but it must be made abundantly clear that no repetition of such actions will be tolerated.
17. His parents would describe him as diligent, reliable and competent. He has done nothing in his life to disgrace the Crane (so far as they know...) and they do not expect him to.
18. His highest ambition is to be the Emerald Champion.
19. He is well-read and has thought much on religious matters, but his greatest devotion is to the lives of his ancestors and in emulating them, he finds inner peace.
20. He will die with his sword in his hand, a smile on his face and peace on his mind.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=History]
Doji Okubo was, like all who are of the Crane Clan, born in the lap of luxury. His parents, Doji Hitomi and Doji (formerly Kakita) Sayemon, were high in the honour of the Clan and close in the counsels of the Doji daimyo. As honourable samurai, they believed in bringing their children up to the highest standards mandated by the Crane.

From childhood, Okubo - then named Tonto - was closest to his twin sister, elder by a few seconds, Doji Hanako. The two were as unalike as possible - Tonto was an energetic, boisterous child; he laughed easily and he cried easily. Hanako, on the other hand, was soft-spoken, calm and sweet. As they grew up, they only seemed to grow closer. Tonto, obsessed with the history of the Crane and with his ancestors, sometimes believed that they were the reincarnations of Doji Yasurugi and Doji Konishiko and that they had been given a second chance by Heaven to make up for the tragedy of their previous livves.

Tonto dedicated himself to becoming the perfect samurai. He learned the code of Bushido, read treatises on samurai etiquette and the nature of Honour. He practiced forms with his shinai even before he was admitted into the Kakita Academy. In public, Tonto announced his intentions to pledge his service to his sister, who had devoted herself to becoming a courtier in service to the Clan. To himself and to his sister, he divulged his deeper dreams and higher ambitions.

By the age of 14, Tonto had proven himself, with the sword, with his skill with words and courtly manners and with his knowledge of history and art. He was allowed to sit for his gempukku and he acquitted himself with great honour. He discarded his childhood name and took up his proper name in public, truly becoming Doji Okubo. It was shortly after this that he was formally introduced to the Crane daimyo, Doji Domotai, for the first time.

With the permission of his parents and daimyo, Okubo embarked on a journey around Rokugan, along with other samurai from the Crane and Phoenix. He wanted to learn more about his country, the peasants and the other Clans. In his travels, he learned and experienced much, only some of which he later shared with others.

At 18, Okubo and Hanako were introduced to the Imperial court for the first time. Hanako made an immediate impression and was soon the focus of intrigue. Okubo had a part to play in this and his fair looks, skill with the blade and the flute were not overlooked either. The brother and sister duo soon became a fixture of Crane events, earning the friendship and enmity of samurai from all Clans.

[/spoiler]

kckolbe

So we have a Mirumoto Duelist, Kitsuki Magistrate, Togashi Monk, Unicorn Shugenja, and a Doji Duelist.  So Phoenix, Crab, Lion, Mantis, and Scorpion are unrepresented, Minor Clans as well. 

I am thinking of playing a ronin Air Shugenja sponsored by one of the other Clans (open to GM direction as to which).  He'll be a mix of shugenja and courtier with Void as a high stat.  He won't be a particularly strong shugenja, but will hopefully be well-rounded enough to get by. 

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Name: (Kanemochi) Liang Self-Taught Shugenja (Air) Rank 2

Liang was raised in a small community of Kaeru who refused to join the Lion when fealty was offered.  His family discovered that he had a bond with the Kami at a young age.  Bao, his first teacher, suspected that he had a gift for the Void, and attempted to appeal to the Phoenix, but they refused to let him study with them as the family had nothing to offer, having been forced to leave Toshi sano Kanemochi Kaeru and start over.  Bao did his best to teach him, guiding him toward the element of Air, but Liang was not particularly suited for it.  Eventually he found Liang another shugenja, one skilled with the Element of Fire, but that did not work as well as expected.  He seemed more talented with fire, but had far less control over it.

Insight: 160

Earth  (Stamina 3 / Willpower 3)
Water 2 (Strength 2 / Perception 2)
Fire  (Agility 3 / Intelligence 3)
Air  (Reflexes 2 / Awareness 3)
Void 4

Current Void: 4

Initiative: 4k2

TN to be hit: 15

Wounds: Current -
Healthy (+0): 15
Nicked (+3): 21
Grazed (+5): 27
Hurt (+10): 33
Injured (+15): 39
Crippled (+20): 45
Down (+40): 51
Out : 57

Skills:
School
Athletics 1
Hunting 1
Meditation 1
Spellcraft 2
Stealth 1
Defense 2
Commerce 2
Non School
Tea Ceremony 5
Courtier 2
Etiquette 2
Sincerity 1

School Technique-The Kami’s Gift – Those who are self taught possess an affinity for the kami that many among the clans would envy. When you spend a Void Point on a Spellcasting Roll, you add +2k2 instead of +1k1. Unfortunately, you do not automatically gain additional spells when you advance in Rank; you must seek them out on your own.

Spell Scrolls: Sense, Commune, Summon, Blessed Wind, Legacy of Kaze-no-Kami, Call Upon the Wind, Wolf's Proposal, Enticing Dance of the Flame

Spells Memorized: Earth's Stagnation (1) Extinguish (1), Fury of Osano Wo (1), Path to Inner Peace (1)

Advantages: Sage (4), Daikoku's Blessing (4), Ishiken-Do (8)

Disadvantages: Failure of Bushido-Honor (3), Unlucky (2), Social Disadvantage (3), Elemental Imbalance (Fire) (2)

Equipment: Sturdy Robes, Wakizashi, Machi-Kanshisha, Traveling
Pack, Scroll Satchel, 5 bu

Pack Contents: Perfume, Tea Set, Small knife, fine kimono and sandals, week's rations (left the rest empty in hopes of starting with more money)

Honour: 4.0
Glory: 1.0
Taint: 0.0

XP Spent: 120

1. WHAT CLAN DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
None
2. WHAT FAMILY DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
Kanemochi (branch of the Kaeru that did not join the Lion)
3. IS YOUR CHARACTER A BUSHI, A SHUGENJA, OR A COURTIER?
Shugenja
4. HOW WOULD OTHERS DESCRIBE YOUR CHARACTER’S APPEARANCE?
He is dressed well for a ronin, his hair well-groomed and usually scented.  He generally conveys an expression of discontent.  He is tall and slim of build with dark brown eyes that rarely seem to focus on anything.
5. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S PRIMARY MOTIVATION?
Advancing the resources available to ronin shugenja, advancing his own wealth, and mastering his abilities.  He also wants to know if he really could be an ishken-do.
6. WHO IS THE PERSON YOUR CHARACTER TRUSTS MOST IN THE WORLD?
His primary teacher, Kanemochi Bao, who first suspected his gift with the void and did his best to help him master it.
7. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S GREATEST STRENGTH AND WEAKNESS?
His attunement to the Void is his greatest strength, though he knows he has far from met his potential.  His weakness is his ability with Air, which is embarrassing for one of his experience.
8. WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER THINK OF BUSHIDO?
Most important to him is Sincerity, and least important is Courtesy.  In general, though, he thinks anything beyond basic fairness and honesty is overblown.
9. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S OPINION OF HIS CLAN?
He has no Clan, but he respects the Badger, as they are well-versed with self-reliance.  He believes that their Clan is one of few that unequivocally benefits Rokugan.
10. IS YOUR CHARACTER MARRIED?
No
11. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY PREJUDICES?
He resents the Phoenix for denying his plea to study with them.
12. TO WHOM DOES YOUR CHARACTER OWE THE MOST LOYALTY?
His old mentor, followed by the one who appointed him representative
13. WHAT ARE YOUR CHARACTER’S FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE THINGS?
Fine accommodations/properly trained shugenja
14. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY RECURRING MANNERISMS?
His tendency to look past people makes him seem insincere at times.  He clenches his jaw when he wishes to say something and doesn't.
15. WHAT ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER’S EMOTIONS?
Pride/gloating when upstaging a proper shugenja.
16. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER HANDLE A SUBORDINATE’S IMPROPER BEHAVIOR?
He would be generous/forgiving to prove to himself that he is better than higher status types.
17. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER’S PARENTS DESCRIBE HIM?
He thinks quite highly of them, particularly for their adherence to the Kaeru tradition
18. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S HIGHEST AMBITION?
See question #5, and he will risk a great deal of danger to get there.
19. HOW RELIGIOUS IS YOUR CHARACTER?
Like most traditional Kaeru, Liang embraces worship of the frog spirit that rose the Kaeru to prominence.  He is moderately devoted to the Kami.
20. HOW WILL YOUR CHARACTER DIE?
Taking on too much to upstage an Isawa

Intro Thread

Katina Tarask

Pumpkin, if you're gonna go more political, want an Oriole attendant?  They are pretty much under Dragon protection, after all, and having someone on hand to produce quality gifts is very useful.

Pumpkin Seeds

An investigator can always use friends.  Besides, an Oriole with knowledge of crafts could be useful for an investigation since they would know alot about materials and perhaps even weapons.  So that would be good for both courtier and investigator :: sage nod::

kckolbe

This is actually a pretty well-rounded group for intrigue/politics.  I'd say our chances in the Shadowlands are pretty low, though.

Intro Thread