News:

Main Menu

Profanity?

Started by LostInTheMist, November 21, 2015, 12:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: AmberStarfire on February 02, 2016, 05:39:10 AM
I've been watching my way through Battlestar Galactica, and it's amusing how they use 'frack' or 'frak' so often. "Frack you," "motherfracker" etc. It was apparently in the original movie as well, but it let them get away with saying lots of things they probably wouldn't have been able to at the time it screened if that word was just a little different.

All over the original series, and yes - it was used to get cursing past the censors.  I believe that Firefly used a similar tactic.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Annie Hewitt

Should I cuss the way that I do? Probably not. However, I remember reading something recently about people who swear tend to be more honest. So, I'm probably one of the most honest people you know.
On/Offs- A MUST Read.   Do You Tumbl? I do.

“Had I not created my whole world, I would certainly have died in other people’s. ”
― Anaïs Nin

Codswallop

I honestly don't swear often. I used to swear every other word when I was younger, but I eventually grew out of it and now I hardly swear at all. In fact, I think I use far more dirty words in my writing than I do in real life. Some of my characters are seriously foul-mouthed motherfrackers.  :-)

Far eyes

I swear more in my native language then i do in English, its a bit odd maybe it just has to do with the flow of the language but Hungarian also has a lot of 'small' swear words that are common or semi common. I dont think i swear at all in German, mostly because its not a very good language for it despite whet you might think the other language i speak i guess a bit. But the amount definity varies depending on language, subject and who i am talking to. I think i tend to swear more with friends because there is a general understanding of how its meant to be taken.

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Tamhansen

Quote from: Annie Hewitt on March 03, 2016, 12:37:32 PM
Should I cuss the way that I do? Probably not. However, I remember reading something recently about people who swear tend to be more honest. So, I'm probably one of the most honest people you know.

Also. [urlhttp://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/people-who-swear-most-cleverer-7011464]Cleverer[/url] and in possession of a better vocabulary.

Personally I find swearing also relieves stress and tension. I grew up in the Netherlands, where a large part of the population, despite our reputation, is very conservative and religious, and cursing is seen as something really bad. Hence i never did it as I was growing up. (Or well I did, but only in a way no one would hear) As I grew up and became more independent I started to care less about how I was perceived, and actually cursed a lot. Still do, and it really keeps me from getting nervous tension.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Falcon

Oh, I swear like a sailer. I'be been avoiding my more colorful langauge so far sense I'm currently stuck in the Pg-13 area. Although I have heard occasionally profanity in PG-13 rated movies, it certainly doesnt occure nearly as often as the way i use it.

My favorite word tends to be the f-bomb. My level of profanity tends to be a bit scandelous, and I'll string curse words together like it's no one's business. Partocularly when I'm angry, every other word out of my mouth tends to be profanity. I've found that it tends to resuce any level of stress, as well.

AdamMcGruffin

As I see it, profanity is something that looses value if used too frequently. It has a place, but should be used sparingly. I try to avoid it as much as possible, though that has more to do with how I was raised. Usually only utilizing it when all other modes of communication have failed.

But that is me, and I am quirky. I have several friends who swear when they want to emphasize a point. Then I have other friends that use swearing like punctuation marks, with rules about how and where profanity can be used in a sentence.

la dame en noir

I have an automatic off button when I'm at work, in front of family, meeting or in front of my girlfriends parents, and around kids.

Me? Personally? I curse like a sailor and I don't care who it bothers when I'm home, with friends, playing video games, and having fun. There is a time and place for everything - but I don't like it when people dictate how people should talk.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Emphatic Enigma

I agree with quite a few of the posts here.

I also tend to curse a lot depending on the situation, of course keeping in mind if there are children around. It comes out a lot if I speak to old friends in the UK. Otherwise I'm learning several dutch words to slip in here or there which is also rather gratifying. Especially when one stubs ones toe!

Lady Shadow

I don't swear too often. I used to swear a lot more when I was younger. Now sometimes I do it for fun (in an R-rated chat), and sometimes in my roleplays, (in a hot scene haha). But I feel the need to swear when I release stress.

So funny someone mentioned BattleStar Galactica, I remember when they said "frack" all the time. It was so funny!
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
Ambition is like a V8 engine.
~Elvis Presley~