Interest Check: Musician RP

Started by Leonis, January 20, 2010, 07:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonis

Would anyone be interested in a roleplay about the lifestyles of a modern musician? I was thinking primarily rock musicians, but I don't want to limit everyone's options. Would rockers, country singers, pop stars, rappers, and indie songwriters ever mingle with each other offstage? Even if we just limited it to one genre (and I was thinking it would be rock; surely not many would object...right?) I could still think of a million things to roleplay.

Of course, this would be more freeform and story-based. A stat-driven dice-driven system wouldn't be any good here. Anyways, tell me what you all make of this. I probably didn't explain myself well, so if you have any questions, just ask.

Spell

Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Leonis

Could I hear your reasons for joining? Not that I'm complaining or anything... :)

Spell

*Chuckles* Basic reason? I'm a musician myself in the rock scene, so I could really see myself playing this RP *Loves Groupies*
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Leonis

All right, I was thinking the character profiles would look something like this:

Name: (Include stage names if they have any)
Appearance: (Height, Weight, Eye and hair color, hairstyle and makeup, stage outfit and accessories, build and skin tone, noteworthy facial features...)
Style: (Styles of music that the musician plays. Be as broad or as specific as needed.)
Parts: (What instruments does the character play? Or does he sing? If he plays more than one part, bold the parts he plays the most in public performances)
Background: (Include personal background as well as the musician's career history. Include bands they have played in or are currently a part of.)
Best Cover: (If your character were to cover a real-life musician's song, what would best match their style and personality?)

I have an entire band I'm going to be profiling in the next post, so hang tight.

Leonis

Band Name: The Rockaneers
Style: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Glam Metal
Appearance: http://www.rockband.com/uploads/user-generated-content/100687/rendertron/The_20Gavinners-3000x2000_1.jpg (LARGE IMAGE WARNING!)
Members: From left to right in the photo:
Eddie "Sir Shredsalot" Sherman -- Guitar
Barry Beatnix -- Drums
Travis Tenorman -- Vocals
Hugo Hexxor -- Bass
Label: Silver Hammer Records
Staff:
Maxwell Edison -- Manager
Billy Shears -- Sound Technician
"Father" Paul Mackenzie -- Public Relations
Danny Steel, Aaron Smith, Acey Dici -- Roadies
Career History:
Travis Tenorman was the son of 70s teen idol Barry Tone Tenorman, who wrote chart-topping single after chart-topping single before joining Hair Metal band The Bed Hangers in the 80s with moderate success. Barry and his band fell out of favor when Grunge rolled around in 90s and became a shadow of his former self.
Still, Travis had some very big shoes to fill, but his low self-esteem caused him to buckle and he got a job at a rock and roll-themed restaurant, where he met then-employee Eddie Sherman and regular patrons Barry Beatnix and Hugo Hexxor. They soon became friends and discovered that they all played different instruments, and Travis still never completely gave up his dream of singing.
Hugo invited them to his makeshift studio, and a few jam sessions later, they produced their first song, "Renegade Rocker". When they released it to the public, it became a hit around town, and it was decided they should stay together and start a band. Part of their first song's lyrics, "I'm a-rockin' here all night" was often misheard as "I'm a rockaneer all right", so they turned this mondegreen into their band's name: The Rockaneers.
They went to the nearest record company and presented them with their hit. Maxwell Edison of Silver Hammer Records was impressed and signed them up and became their manager. Over the next few months they recorded and published their self-titled debut album of 17 songs in addition to "Renegade Rocker", it and a few others hitting nationwide charts after the album's release. They gained local publicity by performing live on the stage of the restaurant they used to work at, and just less than a year later they produced a second album before going on a tour around the United States, sharing the spotlight with a few other bands. During the tour it was leaked to the public that Hugo Hexxor was a recovering alcoholic, and that Barry Beatnix used to be involved with a street gang that was particularly notorious in the city he grew up in. After their tour, they produced a third album consisting entirely of covers of other rock band's songs, with mixed reactions among fans and critics. To make up for those that didn't like it, they have stated that they will produce a two-disk album of entirely original songs in the near future.

Shia

I'm rather fond of "NPC"-s, so it would be nice to play a musician's wife, if so, even if it's a part-time role. So do tell me if so :P
*hugs*

Leonis

That would be fine, Shia. Did you have something specific in mind?

Shia

As this role is rather part of the background, it mainly depends on which musician /=player/ wishes to be married :)) After all, it's his substory...

Meri

Name: Jeri Sauer, Stage Name:  Whiskey

Appearance:  Long brown hair, Brown eyes, 5’6”, 120 lbs.
Tattoo on left upper arm of bulldog with spiked collar, named ‘Betsy.’  Tattoo on ankle of a pink rose.

Style: Started in Country, moved to Pop Rock
Parts: Vocals, Lead Singer, Guitar

Background: Whiskey got her nickname as a child, due to her last name sounding like Sour, and her father’s penchant for said liquor.  At 13, sang backup for several budding country bands in local area.  Joined a band in high school, called the Spark Plugs, and found her love of rock.  At 17, became the lead singer in band called “Rage.”  Their first album, “Hard Liquor” hit the top 20 and the rest was history.  Rage signed with Yellow Rock Music and are best known for their song, “Cuts Me Like a Knife.”  Six months ago the band broke up, due to personal reasons. 

Whiskey wants to get back into a band while her notoriety is still high.

Best Cover:  “Feel Like a Woman” sung by Shania Twain

Stage Wear

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
                                            Thomas Edison

Leonis

I think we may have enough to begin the RP, but we need to decide how it should begin...

Carlissa

Oh, another Rock Band (I hope) RP! I got kicked-...encouraged to quit from the last one I was in, so this could be fun!

Would pregnancy be a problem in this? ^^
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Leonis

There was another one?

Well, I don't think it would be too much of a problem, for the most part, Carlissa.

If you can write up a character or band profile, that would be great!

Leonis

Viothiel

Name: Marlena [Mara] Stimme
Appearance: [image will change periodically due to hair color and outfit changes]
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 116 lb.
Eye Color: Crystal Blue
Hair Color: Varies, Currently Blonde [Naturally Blonde]
Stage Attire: Varies [I will have an image up or post it in the forum as to what it is at the time]
Make-Up: Varies
Hair Style: Varies
Build: Thin, Curvy, Petite
Skin Tone: Very Pale
Style: Rock, Metal, Rock Opera, Opera
Parts: Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Rythm Guitar, Keyboard [piano], Bass
Background: Mara is very promiscuous, she likes to flirt, drink, smoke, and just party, have a good time. She isn't exactly what one would call propper, she isn't very shy either. She enjoys a good concert, and though she is a musician herself, she fully supports, but rivals other bands, if that makes sense. She grew up in germany, the daughter of a wealthy set of parents. She was raised to be propper, and quickly found out she didn't enjoy being that way. She started hanging with boys and wrestling and playing in the mud at a young age, and only cleaned up when forced by her parents' maids. She took every change she got to disrupt regal parties and started playing guitar at the age of 12 and played as if religiously, learning everything she could about the instrument and such. She formed her band Schwarzes Kreuz meaning "Black Cross"[this link is a vocalization of how to pronounce the name of the band: http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/speech.asp?url=T2&dir=de&text=Schwarzes%20Kreuz ] at the age of 17 and sky rocketed to the Number 1 within their first week for their hit song "Ministry of Truth". Though, being the lead singer of a popular band, she has found herself needing a new outlet, something where she doesn't need to be the front man or sing all the time.
Best Cover: Rev 22:20 - Pucifer [I wish I had the version of myself singing it recorded, but sadly I don't....maybe if we record it soon I will post it though!]

Leonis

Viothiel

yeah peoples, I think we need another guy! xD

Darkcide

(If you'll have me.)

All right, I was thinking the character profiles would look something like this:

Name: Anthony Durden he usually goes by Tony Durden. (He legally changed his last name.)

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 240 lb
Eye Color: Dark Brown
Looks: Very attractive. He balances ruggedness with a more almost regal attractiveness to it. Very prounounced cheekbones with evenly sized lips that are larger but in proportion with the rest of his face. 
Skin Tone: Medium-Golden Brown
Hair Color: Black
Hair Style: Varies, it is very long and usually worn in braids or dreadlocks of numerous different styles.
Make-Up: Sometimes he will paint his fingernails black, and put small black designs over his eyes. Around Halloween he will wear Death Mask makeup.
Stage Wear: Tends to go shirtless a lot, however he always wears black pants. Usually cargos, jeans or slacks. With black boots. If he has something on his torso it is usually a wifebeater, a muscle shirt, or a black short sleeved shirt that fits snugly.
Tattoos: Several tattoos. Around 5-7 of them.
Build: Very muscular, he pays a good deal of attention to his body.
Style: Thrash Metal, Industrial Metal, Progressive Metal, Metalcore.
Parts: Guitar, Piano, Bass Guitar, Drums, Synthesizer, Keyboard, Programming, Vocals. It depends on the project. In his solo work he will record everything himself, however with Black on Both Sides he is the primary vocalist and Rhythm guitarist. He offers his services as a session musician for any of the instruments he plays or for vocals.
Background: Anthony has played music for his entire life. He was started on the piano early, and gradually shifted to the guitar. Throughout his growth, he picked up several other instruments as well as receiving singing lessons in his church. (He despises organized religion.) When he was around 14, Anthony started to discover music in the metal genre. Emulating groups like Slayer, Metallica, Kreator, Alice in Chains and Sepultura his style became far more aggressive and harsh. From a young age, he always had a heated relationship with the law. Being arrested numerous times for assault, vandalism and disturbing the peace. When his mother died, Anthony was 16 and this hit him deeply. His behavior got him expelled from 3 High Schools before he was sent to a Millitary School. Upon getting his diploma, he attended college where he double majored in Theatre and Music.

Throughout this period, he played in several different bands that never went anywhere. Eventually Anthony started a solo project where he played all of the instruments himself and used session musicians for live shows. The project was called Tonius Antronicus. It became an underground hit, and the music had a decidedly prog-industrial sound with grunge and metal influences. The live shows he would put on were the stuff of legends. Though he was known to assault violent hecklers. Afterwards he co-founded a thrash group with other notable Metal muscians of African American descent. They christened themselves Black on Both Sides and were another successful venture for him. He has enjoyed numerous accolades from prominent critics and publications, awards and charting success. Anthony frequently offers his service as a session musician and producer.

Outside of music he also does voice work frequently, has had a fairly solid acting career, practices martial arts and writes poetry and columns. He was recently tapped to write the music for a Broadway show.
Personality: Assertive, rebellious, and not one to back down from controversy. He is quite promiscuous and drinks heavily. Anthony also gets involved in politics and social issues of importance to him. He considers himself above all else to be an artist, and is a perfectionist who cares deeply about his fans and has stopped shows when mosh pits have gone out of hand.
Best Cover: Either B.O.B.S.'s cover of For Whom The Bells Toll by Metallica or T.A's cover of Man in The Box by Alice in Chains. Also his tribute cover of Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix is of special note.

Viothiel

ooh yay! Another guy!!!! We have a drummer! I'm excited! ^.^

Meri

Quote from: Viothiel on February 21, 2010, 10:35:37 PM
ooh yay! Another guy!!!! We have a drummer! I'm excited! ^.^

That makes two of us.  Come on over here, Tony.  Let's see what you got.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
                                            Thomas Edison

Leonis

Our band is currently in the recording studio, Darkcide, and they are expecting your arrival. You may walk into the RP whenever you're ready.

Angel Fire

Are you all still in need of a bass guitar player?  I am thinking that she could do backup vocals too... maybe some keyboards from time to time if it calls for her to do it.  Since we do have a lot of multi-talented players in the band, I am thinking that she is the one that actually pulls it off on stage.

I do have someone in mind... that is if this is what you all wish for? *looks in hope*

Edited to add a lil more about who I have in mind for my character... hopefully.
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Leonis

Yes, I believe we do still need a bassist.

Also, does anyone else get the references behind the names of the NPC staff members: Maxwell Edison, Father MacKenzie, and Billy Shears?

How about Danny Steel, Aaron Smith, and Acey Dici?

Angel Fire

Sweet!!  I will get her bio up VERY soon.

To answer your question... Acey Dici is pretty obvious, referring to AC/DC, so I am assuming that the rest are references to either band members of well known bands or parodies of well known people?  Hope that I am close *Smiles happily*
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.

Angel Fire

Name: Angelica Lowry

Stage Name: Codi Storm

Appearance (natural):

Height: 5'8

Weight: 140 lb

Eye Color: Deep blue

Looks: Wears a variety of makeup on stage, wanting to hide herself in the background

Skin Tone: Naturally light with reddish markings

Hair Color: Naturally dark brown

Hair Style: Varies except for the curliness.  Sometimes it is wavy and sometimes it is very poofy

Make-Up: Most of the time she will wear eye shadow or a lot of blush

Stage Wear: Nothing too flashy.  She will dress in skirts if the occasion calls for it but most of the time, she dresses down in a pair of comfortable jeans, a metal T-shirt of a band that she likes and a pair of Doc Marten boots

Tattoos: None to speak of, but she keeps the ones that she has very well hidden

Build: A tiny bit on the heavy side but with enough curves to accentuate her figure

Style: Thrash Metal, Progressive Metal, some Speed Metal and Death Metal.

Parts: Bass Guitar, Slight guitar, vocals, Keyboards (electronic)

Background: Angelica had been an outcast for most of her life.  She had been trying to find a way to express herself but it was not until she was 14 when she was spotted playing a guitar outside of a coffee shop in Santa Cruz, CA where the owner of the shop had invited her to join in and play a set.  She was a natural at the guitar but eventually she had found it too constrictive.  She had wanted the freedom to play what she had wanted but living out on the streets, that proved to be hard to do.  She struggled to make ends meet until at 19, she was spotted at that same coffee shop by a local musician that was wanting to put together a band.  She reluctantly took a chance at an audition and blew the the band away, eventually joining what would be Bryson's Guild.  The band was more of a cover band of 90's modern rock songs as she had played rhythm guitar but it was not until a transient from the city had introduced her to bands like Dream Theater, Rush and early Metallica that she had she had found her calling.  Moving to the Bay Area, Angelica started to try to catch onto the metal scene there and pick up pointers from the local musicians... going to most every show and watching the bass player move his fingers along the fretboard.  Eventually, she had come across an inheritance from her long lost family that allowed her to get the musical gear that she had needed to fulfill her dream... to be a part of a band where she can use her talents.

Eventually, she had seen an ad in the local Bay Area Newspaper about an up and coming band that was needing a bass player with multiple talents... and decided that it was time to move to the big time.  With a lot of shows in her experience, the local fans were saddened to see her go but they would always remember Codi Storm... the wild bitch on stage.

Personality:  There are two sides to her personality.  On stage, she is a wild woman who just can not stand still.  She will play her bass or other instruments with a wild fury.  The only time that she sits still on stage is when she has to sing background vocals or play a keyboard part to a song either on the keyboards itself or on a pedal.  Off stage, she is very quiet and shy, not wanting to attract too much attention to herself.  She will naturally sit at the corner trying to find new things for songs or maybe some ideas.  Though she is not a good lyricist, she would be glad to help if someone is stuck on a word of some sort.

Best Cover: Bring Me To Life - Evanescence (she does not sing the male parts of the song but she plays bass at the same time that she does sing)