Firefly interest thread - They still make those?

Started by NiceTexasGuy, December 10, 2011, 12:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NiceTexasGuy

To emphasize once again, this is not about crunching numbers ... it's just provided to assist us in developing characters and reading the other's characters at a glance.  Once we have sufficient interest and commitment, we'll set up a couple of threads, one for OOC chatter (where we can also repost the character profiles) and the other for IC play.

Please fill out the following for your character.  Note that things like strengths and weaknesses may or may not also appear in any narrative you write up, but are desired here for quick reference.  IF YOU WANT A WEAKNESS (or a strength) TO REMAIN SECRET, YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIST IT HERE.  You can list it and say it's a secret and everyone should role play as if their character didn't know, but.... if you don't want to take the chance, you can leave it out and just notify the GM.

Also, I added a spot for religious preference.  Religion did play a part in many people's lives in the series and the movie, so I think we should include some mention of it.  Most people were either Christian or Buddhist.  Your character doesn't have to be a good Christian or Buddhist, and it's okay if the person hasn't been to church since he left home, and it's okay to list Agnostic, Athiest, or Animist, but I'd like to keep a bit of balance to reflect the real world as it will exist in this version of the future.

Weapons.  Yeah, I know, throwing knives strapped to every wrist and ankle and a hidden pistol under your hat, right?  In the real world, a person might only suit up like that on special occasions.  When the fighting starts, the character will have only what he or she has or is within reach.  Since we're not going to be crunching numbers, we don't need to be too specific regarding weapons (though you can if you want to add flavor to the post.)  Basically, pistols come large (the kind you see strapped to the hip which double as  hammers) and small (concealed or not.)  Rifles come small caliber (for hunting rabbit), and large caliber (for deer and people) and rarely might include very large caliber (for hunting elephants and water buffalo.)  Specialty rifles include sniper rifles, and those capable of full automatic fire (think  "machine guns" - though technically there are differences.) 

Player: 
Character name: 
Home world: 
Position on ship: 
Usual occupation: 
Religion: 
STRENGTH =
AGILITY = 
VITALITY = 
ALERTNESS = 
INTELLIGENCE =
WILLPOWER = 
Strength(s) = 
Weakness(es) = 
Skills & skill levels for each = 
Weapons = 
Other possessions = 
Biography =
Other notes = 

A list of skills is provided for your convenience.  As stated before, you're free to make up skills not on the list:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Animal Handling = Animal training, Riding, Veterinary, zoology
Artistry = Appraisal, cooking, forgery, game design, painting, photography, poetry, sculpting,
writing
Athletics = Climbing, contortion, dodge, juggling, jumping, gymnastics, parachuting, parasailing,
pole vaulting, riding, running, swimming, weight lifting
Covert = Camouflage, disable devices, forgery, infiltration, open locks, sabotage, sleight of
hand, stealth, streetwise, surveillance
Craft = Architecture, blacksmithing, carpentry, cooking, leather working, metalworking,
pottery, sewing
Discipline = Concentration, interrogation, intimidation, leadership, mental resistance, morale
Guns = Assault rifles, energy weapons, grenade launchers, gun smithing, machine guns,
pistols, rifles, shotguns
Heavy Weapons = Artillery, catapults, demolitions, forward observer, mounted guns, repair heavy
weapons, rocket launchers, ship’s cannons, siege weapons
Influence = Administration, barter, bureaucracy, conversation, counseling, interrogation, intimidation, leadership, marketing, persuasion, politics, seduction, streetwise
Knowledge = Appraisal, cultures, history, law, literature, philosophy, religion, sports
Linguist* = Arabic, Armenian, French, German, Hindu, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian,
Tagalog, Swahili, Swedish, etc.  English and Chinese are assumed, so you don't need to spend points for those two languages.
Mechanical Engineering* = Create mechanical devices, machinery maintenance, mechanical repairs, fix mechanical security systems, plumbing
Medical Expertise* = Dentistry, forensics, general practice, genetics, internal medicine, neurology,
pharmaceuticals, physiology, psychiatry, rehabilitation, surgery, toxicology, veterinary medicine
Melee Weapon Combat  =  Clubs, knives, melee weapon smithing, nunchaku, pole arms, swords, whips
Perception = Deduction, empathy, gambling, hearing, intuition, investigation, read lips, search,
sight, smell, tactics, taste, tracking
Performance  =  Acting, dancing, costuming, keyboard instruments, impersonation, mimicry, oratory,
percussion instruments, singing, stringed instruments, wind instruments
Pilot* =  Aerial navigation, astrogation, astronomy, astrophysics, space survival, specific types
of vehicle (gunships, hang gliders, helicopters, large cruisers, mid‐bulk transports,
patrol vessels, rocket shuttles, ultra‐light aircraft, short range shuttles, etc.)
Planetary Vehicles = Aquatic navigation, cars, canoes, equestrian, ground vehicle repair, horse‐drawn
conveyances, hovercraft, industrial vehicles, land navigation, large ground transports, military combat vehicles, powerboats, sailing, scooters, scuba diving, skiffs, submarines, yachts
Ranged Weapons  =  Blowguns, bows, crossbows, darts, grenade, javelin, ranged weapon smithing, slings, throwing axes, throwing knives
Scientific Expertise* = Earth sciences, historical sciences, life sciences, mathematical sciences
Survival = Aerial survival, aquatic survival, general navigation, land survival, nature, space
survival, specific environment survival (Zero‐G, desert, jungle, etc.),specific condition
survival (cold, heat, toxic, etc),tracking, trapping
Technical Engineering* = Communication systems, computer programming, hacking, create/alter technical devices, demolitions, electronics, technical repair, technical security systems
Unarmed Combat = Boxing, brawling, judo, karate, kung fu, savate, wrestling
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

Niferbelle

I'll get my butt in gear and put together a character sheet soon. What I'm thinking though is somebody from the shady side of the fence who's trying to turn over a new leaf. I'm also thinking she would make a good first officer so the captain and I may want to work out how that came about.

And understood about the time frame, Texas. Thanks for getting back to me! Having it set about the same time as the series to movie sounds good to me if it's good with everyone else.

NiceTexasGuy

Player:  NiceTexasGuy
Character name:    Thaddeus Bartholomew Green ("Bart" to his friends, and affectionately "Colonel Bart" to his troops)   
Home world:   
Position on ship:    Owner (non-resident)
Usual occupation:    Shipping
Religion:    Christian - protestant

STRENGTH =   7
AGILITY =  4
VITALITY =  4
ALERTNESS =  10
INTELLIGENCE = 13
WILLPOWER =  13

Strength(s) =    Business owner, respected community leader.
Weakness(es) =  Overall health generally failing.

Skills & skill levels for each = 

Pilot- transports - 5
Riding - 2
Zoology - 2
Streetwise - 2
Intimidation - 6
Leadership - 8
Pistol - 2
Shotgun - 2
Forward observer - 2
Administration - 14
Barter - 10
Marketing - 4
Persuasion - 7
Cultures - 2
History - 1
Law - 2
Politics - 7
Sword - 1
Tactics - 5
Mechanical repairs - 4
Veterinary medicine - 1
Performance - guitar - 5
Land survival - 2
Brawling - 2

Weapons =  Along with a variety of weapons in his safe, he carries a small concealable pistol in a vest pocket, and has another in a desk drawer.  Two swords hang on the wall behind his desk, and a hunting shotgun is on display next to the swords.
Other possessions =    n/a
Biography =   Born on a ranch, he started his own business at age 12, repairing junk farm and ranch equipment.  At 17 he left home to explore the 'verse, as a cargo hand on a transport ship.  Col. Green served in the war (the Independents, of course) and is owner of a transport business which was significantly devestated during the war.  He has spent the past few years building it back up, and has recently begun slowly selling off some of his assets.  (See below for a more complete biography.)
Other notes = 

Thaddeus Bartholomew Green ("Bart" to his friends, and affectionately "Colonel Bart" to his troops) was born on the planet Shadow to a hard boiled ranch forman and a very religious mother.  In his youth, he developed a fondness for collecting insects, playing the guitar, and dreams of interplanetary travel.  He started to show promise as a businessman when he was only 12, when he would charge business owners to haul off obsolete or broken farm and ranch equipment, repair what was salvageable, and resell it.  When he was 17, he left home to fulfill his dream of exploring the 'verse as a cargo hand on a transport ship.  For a short while he apprenticed as a ship's mechanic, but a planetside incident in which he salvaged a huge deal gone wrong brought him to the attention of the company's owner, who soon made the 22 year old a business manager in the company office.

When he was 25, Bart convinced his boss to sell him a damaged ship to repair and start his own freelance cargo operation on the side.  He began by contracting work with his boss' company.  Ten years later, he was married to the boss' daughter (Cynthia) and buying out his father-in-law's business.  It was a happy marriage and life was good, until his bride passed away, a victim of one of many diseases which had been unknown on Earth that was, attributed to the effects of terraforming.  Green then threw himself into his work, building up his business, establishing himself as a leader in the community, and eventually becoming a power broker in planetary politics.

When war came, he was on the fence politically.  Knowing the Alliance had the industrial might to eventually overcome the Independents, he urged his fellow leaders to continue seeking a political solution.  Nontheless, when the shooting started, he did the right thing and assumed his role as Colonel of the local Militia forces.  He also threw the full weight of his business enterprise into the cause.  While half his ships continued to function as interplanetary cargo carriers (after all, a nation needs an economy to survive) the other half of his ships were militarized and functioned as part of the "browncoat" Navy.

Col. Green's regiment and his business were devastated by the war, as most of those on the losing side were.  All his assets were "seized" at the end of the war.  The Colonel successfully negotiated the release of his few surviving ships and with the tattered remnants of his regiment, resumed building up his business.  He realized it would never be like it was in the old days, before the war, and that his health was beginning to fail.  It was to be expected -- the hardships of the war, the hunger, the weeks on end of exposure to weather extremes, the psychological strain of seeing long time friends wounded and killed.  Or dying of disease, just as his beloved wife had. 

Now determined to live out his final days as comfortably and peacefully as possible, he has begun selling off some of his company's assets ... his goal to eventually be free of the business altogether and enjoy his final days doing absolutely nothing. 

Or is it?
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
==============

Niferbelle

Player:  Niferbelle
Character name:  Christabel Lao (answers to 'Lao' or 'Bel')
Home world: Ariel
Position on ship: First Officer
Usual occupation:  Ex-Criminal
Religion: Atheist

STRENGTH = 6
AGILITY = 8
VITALITY = 7
ALERTNESS = 10
INTELLIGENCE = 9
WILLPOWER = 10

Strength(s) = Underworld Contacts, Attractive
Weakness(es) = Bum Leg, Wanted

Skills & skill levels for each
Streetwise  12
Stealth 4
Disable devices 6
Kung fu 10
Search 8
Pistols 6
Mental resistance 10
Communication Systems 6
Technical Security Systems 6
Leadership 2

Weapons = various pistols, an assault rifle she breaks out every now and then but it usually just stays in her bunk, her hands and feet
Other possessions = fake ID to get her past run of the mill checkpoints, an encryption code and frequency where she can always get a hold of Chang, tool kit for 'specialty' work, otherwise just normal clothes and gear
Biography = Bel doesn't say much about where she came from but when she isn't careful you'll find her talking proper enough to be from the Core Worlds. Whatever occurred. she obviously went wrong somewhere  as she spent several years with Chang the Hun's crew -- a pirate with a fearsome reputation throughout the Black but who's also known out in the rim as something of a Robin Hood-- and most figure she must have hooked up with him young. But she's not going to talk about that much either except to say that she tired of the life and that Chang let her go with his blessing. She's content now to make a mostly legitimate living aboard ship though she isn't above treading in some gray areas if it benefits the crew. There are probably only one or two aboard ship who know anything of her history to the rest she's an enigma.

Other notes = Bel wasn't so prominent in Chang's fleet that most Alliance officers would recognize her on sight but if she was ever picked up and run through the system, she'd definitely be arrested. She has scars on the left side of her body, looks like shrapnel maybe, and walks with a limp in her left leg when she's tired or been exerting herself. Seems like the kind of injury that will get worse with age. Chang has a few rivals who might take a go at her if they had the chance but Chang's reputation is serious enough that most of them know better and like their heads right where they're at.

NiceTexasGuy

N-belle, looks great.  You can work out with the Captain how Bel came to be First Officer, or we can say she came with the ship when he made the deal with the Colonel.  If it is the later case, we can work out the details via PM.

For everyone else, you can feel free to play out or conspire via PM's how your characters met and came to be on the ship.

Also, feedback on the character generation idea is appreciated.  I thought it helped me focus in on who my character is, but if you have other ideas or ideas of how to tweek the current process, feel free to chime in.

I realize some may think the process is getting too drawn out, but please stick with it, and we'll have the IC thread up and running soon.

For now, we should probably shift over to the OOC thread to discuss characters.  It is found here: 

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=340.0

(I titled it "Back in the Black" but don't know how to do that thing where I can make it link to the name.)
===
==============

Niferbelle

I'm glad Bel passes muster  :-) I was ok with the character generation. I play freefirn pretty much exclusively but having some guidelines in the generation process is a fair enough way to make sure everyone's characters are balanced out but happy not to be rolling dice later.

Kaya

Hi all,

I would also be highly interested in playing. I hope you still have room for one more. My character idea would be best described as a cross between Inara and River. But have a look for yourself if you like.

I have chosen not to hide anything from the other players, trusting that we all can roleplay well enough.

Player:  Kaya

Character name:  Rui "Angel" Wai Mun

Home world:  Ariel

Position on ship:  Registered Companion

Usual occupation:  Companioning

Religion:  Budhist

STRENGTH = 4
AGILITY =  10
VITALITY =  6
ALERTNESS =  10
INTELLIGENCE = 8
WILLPOWER =  12

Strength(s)
Allure
Angel is physically very attractive. When she desires companionship she generally doesn’t need to look far. Not only is she good-looking, but she knows how to make her looks work for her in most situations. Only rarely does her shwie appearance attract the wrong sort of attention. Benefit: With Allure, she gains a +2 step Skill die bonus on all actions keyed to appearance, such as: seduction, negotiation, persuasion, or winning beauty pageants.
Reader
Her mind is open to the thoughts and emotions of folk nearby.
Amazing Healing
As a side effect of her reader power, Angel heals much faster than normal. She also does not get scars from injuries (provided she survives).

Weakness(es)
Credo
Angel does not talk about her clients and keeps up the Companion Guild's rules to the letter.
Memorable
People tend to remember Angel. She can't easily blend with a crowd.
Weird Sexuality
While Angel can be perfectly normal (and she is most of the time), she has two things which spark her interest: a) Turning boys to men (being their first) and b) weird roleplays, also including pain and bloodletting.

Skills & skill levels for each

Conversation 4
Intuition 10
Kung Fu 10
Perception Sight 4
Persuation 10
Pilot Shuttle 6
Seduction 12
Singing 6

Weapons =  none

Other possessions

- Jewelry collection: Mostly gifts from clients, but Angel likes to show that she is doing well.
- Companion Material (tea sets etc.), Licence, Cortex access
- An extensive collection of Companion-style clothing (mainly in the Indian style). Angel likes to wear Cholis to long skirts which mostly are cut in at least one place to allow movement and show off her legs. These are examples of Cholis:

Biography = Angel's father was a Chinese man while her mother was half Japanese / half Italian. Angel was their only child, and she still remembers her parents as being truly loving and caring to her. But, as a child, she had no idea what her parents were doing for a living, that is, she didn't understand it. She was able to read their thoughts, but of course she had no idea what a Triad was. She was just four years old when her parents were killed in a shootout with local law enforcement, and Angel remembers to this day how her mother was gunned down while she tried to protect her child.

That experience made the young girl shut down completely, and social services thought she must be mentally weak and put her into an orphanage. She grew up there, making not many friends, because she was so introverted. But she was still able to read the thoughts of people around her, and she knew who wanted her best and who wanted something else. She never told anyone though, having realized that this ability is not something everyone posessed.

At the age of 12 it was becoming clear that Angel would grow up to be an astonishingly beautiful woman, and she got lucky, because a local companion house discovered her when she was playing by herself on the street. The companion made a considerable donation to the orphanage, and Angel was released to her care and brought into the companion house to see if the girl can become a companion herself. Within one year Angel's whole lookout on life changed, she opened up to others (still keeping her secret though) and learned a lot.

When the education focused more on the services a companion provided, Angel quickly showed an amazing talent. Mainly because she could tune in to a partner and know exactly what that partner wanted, but also because she had a natural skill at seduction. Her beauty which was blossoming fully now did not do any harm either. So she became one of the youngest registered companions ever, being released from training and taken on as a full guild member when she was 16.

Due to the trauma she suffered early in life she had developed a liking for the darker parts of companion service, and a few months back there was an accident involving a high government official. That official died while he was with Angel, and while the appointment has been kept secret, Angel thought it better to leave the central planets for a while. So she made her way towards the outer rim.

I am very open to suggestions from the GM or other players, so please do not hesitate.

NiceTexasGuy

Kaya, it looks like an awesome job of creating a character for the Firefly universe.  Thanks for your interest and for helping to make me feel like my feeble attempts at trying a "system" for character creation can work.

As you can see, there are several players who have already expressed an interest in playing.  The challenge in something like this is to maintain enough interest in enough people long enough to get something organized and underway.  At the same time, the original idea was to keep the number small and the game flowing.  I'm not sure where we stand now with several people who said they were interested.

My plan is to PM everyone with questions, suggestions, etc, as appropriate to gauge interest and work out the final details.  This in itself could take several days, awaiting responses and tweeking the relationships.

As for your character, Kaya, I have a couple of concerns.

First, I think she's absolutely perfect... which can be a problem if she's too perfect.  You probably read my little rant earlier about how we don't need a companion, but we can certainly have one if we want.  And, it's been established that "readers" exist in the Firefly universe as well.  However, as useful as it might be in real life, I think that may be a bit much for this game.  Maybe a Companion who isn't a reader, or a reader who in all other respects looks like a down-and-out vagrant?  I don't know, don't let me tell you what to play, but I think she's too perfect.

I welcome other peoples opinions too, of course.  If everyone tells me I'm full of **** then I'll accept that.  It isn't my game, it's our game, and I'm just the guy trying to keep us pointed in the right direction.

Also, her strengths and weaknesses.  I don't really see being a good companion as a weakness, for one thing.  I can see where it would limit her options in some cases, but that's like having large muscles won't allow a guy to reach into a small gap between walls.  It may be a limitation, but it's certainly not weakness.

Also, I don't know about the "amazing healing" aspect.  Medical science being what it is (or will be) I'm sure there will be ointments which will prevent scarring from minor lacerations and such.

Also (and this isn't just directed at you, Kaya) is I think there's a natural tendency when creating a Firefly character to fill him or her full of angst.  Sure, there's crime, there was a war, etc, so it's to be expected.  But at the same time, what fun is a ship full of emo characters?

One final thought.  IF there ends up being so much interest that we have nine or ten people wanting to play, might we be interested in two ships, two IC threads, and some occasional interaction between the two groups?
===
==============

Primarch

Kaya

Quote from: NiceTexasGuy on December 16, 2011, 11:47:57 AM
First, I think she's absolutely perfect... which can be a problem if she's too perfect.  You probably read my little rant earlier about how we don't need a companion, but we can certainly have one if we want.  And, it's been established that "readers" exist in the Firefly universe as well.  However, as useful as it might be in real life, I think that may be a bit much for this game.  Maybe a Companion who isn't a reader, or a reader who in all other respects looks like a down-and-out vagrant?  I don't know, don't let me tell you what to play, but I think she's too perfect.
Nobody is too perfect, if you ask me. And it would not make too much sense if everyone is broken, does it? I personally like the mixture of Inara and River, but of course it is your game. Did you think about the fact that being a reader is not all positive? Remember the blue gloves? I don't think that she is too perfect.

Also, her strengths and weaknesses.  I don't really see being a good companion as a weakness, for one thing.  I can see where it would limit her options in some cases, but that's like having large muscles won't allow a guy to reach into a small gap between walls.  It may be a limitation, but it's certainly not weakness.
I'm guessing you are talking about her credo? That is a disadvantage from the Serenity game, which I thought you would be using? I agree that it is not that big of a deal.

Also, I don't know about the "amazing healing" aspect.  Medical science being what it is (or will be) I'm sure there will be ointments which will prevent scarring from minor lacerations and such.
I'm not insisting on that. That was just an idea to make it easier for her in the game.

Also (and this isn't just directed at you, Kaya) is I think there's a natural tendency when creating a Firefly character to fill him or her full of angst.  Sure, there's crime, there was a war, etc, so it's to be expected.  But at the same time, what fun is a ship full of emo characters?
I don't see Angel as being "full of angst". Where did you get that from?

NiceTexasGuy

Kaya, without breaking down each point individually, let me just address them in a more general fashion.

First, everything I said was meant to be a genuine compliment, because I love your character.  Too perfect?  Maybe not.  Too awesome?  Maybe that's what I meant.  Beauty, Companion Training, and being a reader ... that's a person with some power.  I just see a character that if someone wanted to play her in a certain way, she would be way too awesome for everyone else to hold a candle to.  Maybe you plan to play her differently than what I think a lot of people would.  Voices in her head at inconvenient times?  Reliving her parent's deaths each time she sees a drop of blood, yet she keeps on cutting?  That could make for some interesting times.

As I said, it's our game, not my game ... I'm just trying to do my part to keep it balanced, but I'm not perfect, so I welcome other opinions.

Maybe "angst" wasn't the right word, and it certainly wasn't directed at you, but I just see a lot of characters having to deal with the darker side of their personalities.  It may not be unrealistic for a lot of people to have deeply seated emotional issues stemming from war or the murder of ones parents, I guess what I was trying to get at is that I'm also looking for the lighter, more fun side of the play as well as the nitty gritty darker stories.

To use the series as an example, surely Mal had "issues" from the war, but we still saw him laughing and playing practical jokes on people.  Zoe was with Mal the whole time, yet she didn't seem as "troubled".  Meanwhile, we had other characters on the ship who weren't dealing with the same sort of issues.  Wash was the comic relief who had no war stories to tell (one source suggests he was a military pilot captured very early on in the war, so missed all the fighting) and Simon missed the war altogether, his biggest problem growing up seemed to be being a good son and big brother in an idyllic family.  (That, and maybe he couldn't talk to girls?)

I think it made a good mix ... probably much better than if the entire crew was made up of Mal's old army buddies.   Maybe that's what I was trying to get across, in light of the general propensity to make a character who's seen too much drama (and yes, I did the exact same thing to my character, I know.)

So, I'm not saying you need to change her history, it's just food for thought for all of us.  In fact, I'm thinking of tweeking my character to make him someone whose militia regiment was relegated to some backwater theater who never saw any significant action.

Also, I wanted to point out that I don't think we're using the official Serenity game, it was just a resource I found online to help with the character generation process.  I can see how having the credo can be seen as a disadvantage, my mind was just looking at it from a different direction.  Again, it's not like we're too worried about the numbers, it's just a tool. 
===
==============

NiceTexasGuy

I realize everyone has a life outside Elliquiy, so don't think I'm trying to rush anyone  (it took me two days longer than I said it would to make my own character profile, right?)  I'm just trying to keep things moving so we don't end up losing everyone from lack of interest.

So, I'm of the impression this is where we are now with players and their characters:

====================================================

The "Required" characters with a more or less completed character profile:

NiceTexasGuy = The Colonel - the aging owner with health problems who is trying to sell off some assets, including the Firefly class transport Musashi Maru.

Teke = Cameron "Cam" Wynn - The Pilot - quasi-cowardly former Browncoat military pilot whose protocol in a crisis is (1) difuse the situation with humor, or (2) blow something up.

Primarch = Chase Spencer - The Mechanic - on the run with a price on his head

--------------------------------------------

Required position still pending info:

ShadowFox89 - The Captain, a former Alliance soldier who is living proof it isn't just the Independents who suffered from the war.

---------------------------------

Other crew/passengers who have submitted profiles:

Niferbelle = Christabel Lao (answers to 'Lao' or 'Bel') - (former criminal) streetwise First Officer with some technical aptitude and all the right contacts for the wrong kind of work - If ShadowFox decides not to play, maybe she can be captain.

RubySlippers = (Kaylyn Beautroix?) - Are you interested in playing an eccentric actress niece and chief cook?

Kaya = Rui "Angel" Wai Mun - A Registered Companion - Possibly with some tweeking of the character pending?

-------------------------

Others who have expressed interest -- Please let me know if you're still interested.  Crew? Or perhaps you'd like to test the waters as a passenger?  Please feel free to let us know.

Capone

--------------------------

Anyone else?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?
===
==============

Teke

Ok, first, thank you for that awesome description of Cam.  That was indeed what I was going for.  Step 1: Tell Joke. Step 2:? Step 3: Profit! Step 4: Blow it up.

Also, I am trying to be the comic relief, so others can have their drama.  I'm sure I can get some in there too, maybe my old crime buddies or some old soldiers, but for teh most part I'll cause trouble, not bring it.

As for Kaya's character, while I do think that she indeed might be a little too... overpowered would be my word, much like Ruby's initial character(or rather, still standing character).  I mean, she's a registered companion AND a reader.  That pretty much could be the definition. However, with her backstory she could very well be the most wanted person in the whole 'Verse, if Kaya is willing to change a couple things. So, Kaya, see what you think of these.
1. The accident was not covered up, and instead she is being actively hunted for the man's murder.
2. The Alliance's secret military does know she is a reader, and either was already secretly using her as a spy(she doesn't know), or want to bring her in to use as one.

Also, I would hope that at somepoint, or repeatedly, she takes on customers whose minds she reads contain either really good or really bad news concerning the ship or crew, but because of that credo, she won't tell them, and instead probably tries to take care of it herself, which may lead her into trouble and needing to be saved.

Also, it could be interesting when she has another "accident" involving a high profile person in the outer worlds, and we have to somehow dispose of the body and get away from someone because of it.

Last thing, if she is JUST getting outside of the core, she will have absolutely no contacts out in the black, so she's not going to be all that good until she starts making contacts and getting referrals.

Just some thoughts!
A&A

NiceTexasGuy

Teke, thanks for that input.  I like the idea about the dilemma of knowing those thoughts and not being able to tell anyone, trying to do it all herself.  I guess my mind is too limited.  And, I realize we don't want to plot everything out in advance, but I like that idea.  Kaya? 

I neglected to mention that it seems like a lot of people on the crew are going to be wanted by the law.  I wonder if we might want to limit that to just Chase Spencer  having any serious charges against him. 

Maybe the charges the authorities have on Bel aren't that serious (or rather, not something they can make stick?) but they want to arrest her and make a deal hoping to turn her against Chang.

Without looking back at his profile, is Cam also wanted?  That would obviously be a case of mistaken identity, lol.

But yeah, if Angel is wanted too, we might want to make her the last of the wanted persons on board.
===
==============

Teke

Cam is free and clear because I decided that your char took a liking to his Browncoatedness and gave him a "legitimate" job on the Maru as opposed to sending him to jail for a failed heist on one of the Col's shipments.  All laughs and explosions here!
A&A

Kaya

Quote from: Teke on December 16, 2011, 04:31:26 PM
As for Kaya's character, while I do think that she indeed might be a little too... overpowered would be my word, much like Ruby's initial character(or rather, still standing character).  I mean, she's a registered companion AND a reader.  That pretty much could be the definition. However, with her backstory she could very well be the most wanted person in the whole 'Verse, if Kaya is willing to change a couple things. So, Kaya, see what you think of these.
1. The accident was not covered up, and instead she is being actively hunted for the man's murder.
2. The Alliance's secret military does know she is a reader, and either was already secretly using her as a spy(she doesn't know), or want to bring her in to use as one.
Overpowered? Little old me? *bats eyelashes* ;-)

But seriously, i like option 2 more. Being 'officially' wanted for murder could put a serious dent in Angel's business affairs after all, and if there are already other wanted people on board, adding one more would not be good - unless we never want to land.

I like option 2 because that means Angel would have no idea about that, and if the Alliance makes a move, it would come completely out of the blue for her (pun intended, remember the blue gloves?).

Quote from: Teke on December 16, 2011, 04:31:26 PMAlso, I would hope that at somepoint, or repeatedly, she takes on customers whose minds she reads contain either really good or really bad news concerning the ship or crew, but because of that credo, she won't tell them, and instead probably tries to take care of it herself, which may lead her into trouble and needing to be saved.
It's not that she would say nothing at all, she might try to carefully influence a decision. If that gets ignored though, she would try to take things into her own hands. I really like that idea!

By the way, Angel would not tell the crew about her being able to read minds - for obvious reasons. That might happen at some stage, if she is able to fully trust someone, but even then it would be hard for her to share that secret.

Quote from: Teke on December 16, 2011, 04:31:26 PMAlso, it could be interesting when she has another "accident" involving a high profile person in the outer worlds, and we have to somehow dispose of the body and get away from someone because of it.

Last thing, if she is JUST getting outside of the core, she will have absolutely no contacts out in the black, so she's not going to be all that good until she starts making contacts and getting referrals.

Just some thoughts!
Yes, all of that is good and true, and would make for some interesting roleplay. Thanks, Teke! :-)

NiceTexasGuy

How would she be getting referrals or doing business by electronic means if she's wanted?
===
==============

Teke

First, thank you Kaya for your acceptance of my ideas, I try!  ;D

As for her getting work while wanted, I think that then leads to the secret military storyline better.  She was able to slip out of the core and maybe now she has to change her name, but they don't know where she is, so even though she stand out, they're not hot on her trail.
A&A

NiceTexasGuy

edit:  I totally misread something there while being distracted in real life.
===
==============

Niferbelle

QuoteMaybe the charges the authorities have on Bel aren't that serious (or rather, not something they can make stick?) but they want to arrest her and make a deal hoping to turn her against Chang.

I'm in line with this. She never would have been one doing the worst, most of what she did with the pirates was in a support capacity so there isn't anything too serious they could pin on her. Mainly she'd be wanted for being a known associate of Chang's and as a possible way to get to him.

Capone

Ah, just browsed through here and saw you noted my name above.

I will currently not be part of this game. Sorry.

lore

I think I might throw together an app for a surly doc with a good heart but a bedside manner that leaves something to be desired.

Teke

Quote from: lore on December 17, 2011, 03:35:42 PM
I think I might throw together an app for a surly doc with a good heart but a bedside manner that leaves something to be desired.
Well there's the other half of the "We don't need to have a doc and a companion!"  Seriously though, welcome aboard.  Can she be the stereotypical surly doc that's always drunk on whiskey?

Please can we have a mission based entirely and only on finding her more whiskey?!?  And can Cam blow it up? Puleeeeeze?
A&A

Niferbelle

By the way, I would rather not be captain. I would take it if necessary bit certainly if anyone else out there wants the role, go for it! And a surly doctor sounds fun!

Kaya

Quote from: NiceTexasGuy on December 16, 2011, 06:14:30 PM
How would she be getting referrals or doing business by electronic means if she's wanted?
I'd prefer if she was not officially wanted.

Quote from: Teke on December 16, 2011, 06:18:41 PM
As for her getting work while wanted, I think that then leads to the secret military storyline better.  She was able to slip out of the core and maybe now she has to change her name, but they don't know where she is, so even though she stand out, they're not hot on her trail.
That would be a possibility, but then she would know that there is someone looking for her. The other option would be that she has no idea about that at all. Which do you prefer?