VBulletin

Started by Vekseid, June 25, 2008, 11:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Alright, a certain member has been trying to convince me of the glories of VBulletin.

Anyone have any opinions about this?

It's pricey, but donations are still coming, so it's not an overburdening expense.

Sherona

Sad to say, I have no clue what that is :x

Vekseid

VBulletin is the most popular commercial forum software on the Internet. SMF being one of the most popular free forum softwares.

Xillen

I never liked VBulletin. I dunno why, but the interface irks me to no end. The way new replies and stuff are working out... The way PM's work... *shudders*

I'm participating on another board which uses VBulletin, and I'd take SMF over it any time of the day!

Vekseid

rpg.net, dndonlinegames, myth-weavers, and enworld are all examples of role playing sites that use VBulletin. All four are significantly larger than Elliquiy.

Xillen

I've used RPG.net and ENWorld for a while, and I'm also on some smaller boards that use VBulletin, and I can work with it, but I just like SMF a lot more.

Is SMF's database gonna clunk up if we get more users?

Also, I've only used the forum. If VBulletin has full site integration, then that might be something worth considering.

Jeramiahh

While I'm not active enough with other forums to really give a dead-set opinion, I do like the way this forum's set up. Unless there's some really awesome new feature that might be added with vBulletin, I don't see any reason to change, especially since you're already overworked. =P
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Vekseid

Quote from: Jeramiahh on June 26, 2008, 03:37:13 AM
While I'm not active enough with other forums to really give a dead-set opinion, I do like the way this forum's set up. Unless there's some really awesome new feature that might be added with vBulletin, I don't see any reason to change, especially since you're already overworked. =P

Well that's just it.

There are dozens of cool features that VBulletin has : /

I can set things up to be similar - it's not like the three-column layout is something SMF ships with, but still.

Xillen

I prefer a better base interface than extra cool features, and the current interface that E uses, I prefer highly over any vBulletin board I've ever been on.

Trieste

I don't know ... I have an account on Myth-Weavers, and I don't use it a lot anymore, but when I did, even after running through a couple games on the site, I remember finding it annoying, counter-intuitive and frustrating. I have no idea how much of that has to do with the site admins or the software itself, but there you have it.