News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Roman Campaign: Pathfinder (Interest)

Started by swordwind, March 31, 2015, 11:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Quote from: Loki Aesir on April 03, 2015, 10:12:19 PM
This is the bronze age, roll a 1 and the thing is broken. Roll another and it is destroyed if I recall correctly.

I beleive it said masterwork and magical items were exempt though? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Chulanowa

Yup, masterwork weapons and armor lack the fragile qualities.

of course, it's maybe easier to just point out that Rome is well into the iron age, and uses steel for pretty much all their equipment (arrow and spearheads being a notable exception, sicne htye're disposable and mass-produced...) as did all their neighbors.

Can't make a lorica hamata out of bronze, after all!

D12

Clearly all these non-human races running about are slowing down the technological advancement of glorious Rome.

The moon demands we cleanse the lands.  :D
Quote from: Angiejuusan
D12 has earned the power of the GM's Laughter! This does nothing but tell the world you made the GM laugh out loud!

Chulanowa

Name: Alize Etexo
Nationality: Roman
Ethnicity: Iberian
Race: Human
Class: Swashbuckler 3
Deity: Whoever needs praying to!
Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=146822

Alize was born on the sea, or at least close enough to count; her father was a merchant out of Ecci, her mother a Iacetani he had taken a fancy to keeping aboard his vessel (so to speak.) The sea, her barbarian blood, and her fathers' mercenary ways would come to form the girl's future quite easily. By the time she was twelve, her mother had taught her where to stab a man who was causing  problem. By sixteen, her skill with the rigging and book keeping had her in her fathers' good graces.
   of course, Ruio had plans to just marry her off, like any other asset in his ledger. The trouble with that was that he didn't want his daughter marrying some savage Hispanian, or - gods forbid! - a Phoenician or Gaul! ...But the 'proper Romans" he envisioned for her future never appeared. Evidently a half-barbarian girl who could put some legionnaires to shame wasn't seen as worth the trouble. Unable to recoup his "losses" (i.e., the years he had spent raising a daughter) he suggested she find some way to put her talents to use.
   He probably didn't have piracy in mind, of course. Oh it started innocently enough, she offered her blades to another captain to fend off pirates, and amused by the notion of a girl claiming to be a soldier, he took her on. This didn't end well when plunderers swept off from the Sicilian coast. Well, it didn't end well for the pirates. A few tips like this helped Alize hone her skill and get real practice... but also exposed her to the waveswept life of sailors, full of wine, song, brawling, and whoring.
   It wasn't long before the lure of greater profits drew her to a new ship, a new captain, and a lot of risks to her neck. It was a wild time, and the Greek and Carthaginian traders her crewmates plundered rarely gave up without a fight.
   Though they tried to steer away from Roman cargoes, as such ships were dangerous sport indeed, it happened on occasion. One of those times, the ship yielded after a brief skirmish and - rather unbelievably - the two captains shared drink and stories! Whether one had been a former partner or the other a former pirate didn't seem to matter... and though Alize had been propositioned plenty of times before, it had never been with a job offer!
   She now plies her trades - the art of the blade, a passing grasp of most languages, and solid knowledge of ships - in the employ of a noble house in ecci.

Overall Goals: Maybe it's cliche, but Alize craves adventure. She's an explorer and wants to see new lands, learn new tongues, share wine with Scythian and Meroe alike, and keep their sons and daughters awake at night. She has an overwhelming lust for life, and wants to seize as much of it as she can as soon as she can.

Minor goals: ...But as they say, while in rome... She knows she needs better social graces, at least as the Romans reckon them. Especially if she's going to be taking hte silver of a noble house (through pay, rather than tipping over their dining cabinets.) She's not willing to let her combat skills sit idle, though, and often seeks out someone to test them against. part of her wants to "beat" her father in the merchant game... but she knows she has neither the patience or skills for that. yet.

D12

I've been looking through some of the other applications and, I hope this isn't out of line, but I have questions:

Loki Aesir: How do you have so much HP? I thought we were doing average or roll; are we still getting max for Level 1 or did you roll? 8+4+4+3+3 = 22 (1st+2nd+3rd+Con+FCB)?
You're having 'crafted' most of that stuff right, so you're paying half-price?
Can you have weapon focus in a shield? It's not a weapon. I know you can attack with it but it seems like; I'm pretty sure you can't have Weapon Focus in claws since they're not a weapon (they're a natural attack).
What're you calling Vulcan's Favored Weapon? Are you saying it's the Warhammer?
Since Masterwork bonuses and Magic bonuses to Attack don't stack, I'm a little confused as how you have a +7 to hit with the Warhammer. My math has it at 2+3+1 (BAB+STR+Magic)

kckolbe: How do you have so much HP? I thought we were doing average or roll; are we still getting max for Level 1 or did you roll? 8+4+4+3+3 = 22 (1st+2nd+3rd+Con+FCB) ?
I think you should only have 1 Bonus Spell for First Level with 18 Charisma. (Probably just shuffled your stats, I did the same thing a number of times)

Muse : Am I doing the math wrong here or something? Warpriests, Bards and Druids have d8 as their HD. If you have a d8 as you HD and +1 Con, 22HP is as high as you can get without rolling; and that's assuming we're getting full health for First Level. (And I didn't include full health for First Level on my own sheet, and she could really use it.)
Are we using third party? Isn't Open Minded a Psionics Unleashed feat? I don't think it uses Psionics iirc but I thought I'd ask.

RubySlippers: I'm not actually sure about that archetype thing, but that's not my call to make.
There is no Cure Minor Wounds spell in Pathfinder like there is in 3.5. As far as I know, there's Virtue but no Zero-Level spell that restores HP.
Are we allowed to take a drawback for an extra trait? I took Mute for the sake of flavor but if I can get an exta trait for it…

Chulanowa: Swashbucklers also have d8 as HD. Are there a bunch of rolls I'm not seeing here?
Shouldn't your daggers & chainshirt be fragile & bronze?

Ya'll do please look at my sheet too. I'm sure there's something somewhere I missed or messed up or could be made better. I've never made a Deaf oracle before and I feel like I missed or misread something somewhere regarding HP and really should read up on the hybrid classes more.

General discussion: are the hybrid classes any good? I made a Warpriest once but the game fell through and I never got to play him. They seem… niche-y.

D12 has earned the power of the GM's Laughter! This does nothing but tell the world you made the GM laugh out loud!

Muse

Swashbucklers have d10 hit dice and full base attack, Dee, unless you're talking about the rogue archetype instead of the Advanced Class Guide swashbuckler. 

Let me look at my hit points again.  Maybe I rolled. 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

D12

I may have been looking at the wrong Swashbuckler entry.
In my defense, who's bright idea was it to create a class with the same name as an archetype anyway?

Muse

Okay, 24 hit points looks right to me. 

1st hit dice 8
2nd 5
3rd 5 
Because the mean result of 1-8 is 5.  (0-8 is 4.5, but you can't get a 0  on the dice.  If the GM prefers I do it that way I can.) 

So that makes 18. 
Constitution +3 =21
Favored class bonus +3=24.  (Or 23 if we do the average dice rolls the other way.) 

Open minded is indeed from Dreamscarred Press.  (It's not a psionic feat, but it's an upgrade of a feat from the Expanded Psionic Handbook so they got to update it.) 

If the GM doesn't like it I'll manage without 3 skills somewhere and get something more useful in combat. 

Muse

Oh, and full health at first level is standard for pathfinder, D.  The GM is of course free to say do it otherwise but I didn't see anything that said we were doing it differently. 

D12

Okay so that's what I was doing wrong, rounding to 4 instead of 5.
Good to know since Oracles (my character) also have d8 as their HD.
We are getting full health for first level? I know it's standard for PF when you're starting at first level, but I didn't know if; because we were starting at 3rd, we just went with average.

Foxfyr

Quote from: D12 on April 04, 2015, 09:53:57 AM
I've been looking through some of the other applications and, I hope this isn't out of line, but I have questions:

Loki Aesir: How do you have so much HP? I thought we were doing average or roll; are we still getting max for Level 1 or did you roll? 8+4+4+3+3 = 22 (1st+2nd+3rd+Con+FCB)?
You're having 'crafted' most of that stuff right, so you're paying half-price?
Can you have weapon focus in a shield? It's not a weapon. I know you can attack with it but it seems like; I'm pretty sure you can't have Weapon Focus in claws since they're not a weapon (they're a natural attack).
What're you calling Vulcan's Favored Weapon? Are you saying it's the Warhammer?
Since Masterwork bonuses and Magic bonuses to Attack don't stack, I'm a little confused as how you have a +7 to hit with the Warhammer. My math has it at 2+3+1 (BAB+STR+Magic)

I rolled and got a 6, 7 on top of full hit die at first level.
In all the previous campaigns I played in the DMs never allowed starting equipment to be reduced as though it was crafted, so I didn't want to take that liberty without his approval.
My thinking was that shield bash shows on the weapon table and shields can be enchanted as magical weapons separately from defensive enchantments, so it seemed like fair game for weapon focus.
Yeah, Vulcan is the god of the forge so Warhammer as his favored weapon made sense.
Yes, that was a mistake on my part when I updated the sheet for the magical weapon. I corrected it.

D12

Can you afford all that other stuff if you don't craft your items? I mean I haven't actually tallied up the cost for your equipment (I'm not that invasive) but a +1 weapon is 2k by itself, +300 for a mwk weapon and +150 x2 for two Mwk armor pieces, that's what... 2600gp... a normal agile breast plate by itself is 400gp...

kckolbe

Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

D12

kckolbe

Not just weapons, btw, and not sure.  It was in the first post by swordwind.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

D12

Yeah this part right?

Quote from: swordwind on March 31, 2015, 11:36:08 PMTemple System:
As romans are a religious group of people the gods favor them for their praise with limited magical assistance from time to time. So to gain an enhancement to your gear you spend time praying and donating goods to a local temple.  This will allow you to gain a magical enhancement with a catch for you to remain loyal to Rome and its gods.
In game terms: 65% of total pricing for a magic bonus for weapons and armor and rings.
Sidenote:  Other nations and other gods will also follow this ruling.

If this does apply to starting gear I might turn my +1 Bronze Dagger (2k +1) into a Mwk Bronze Dagger (301) and a +1 Ring of Protection. (2k reduced down to 1300)

Chulanowa

As mentioned, Swashbucklers are D10 HD.
And yes, it's stupid to have named a whole class the same thing as an archetype. but that's a problem for pretty much all of the hybrid classes except for Bloodrager and Warpriest. something really dumb? There's lots of archetypes that have the same name as archetypes for other classes. And htne you have stuff like bards, who have a geisha archetype, and a lotus geisha archetype, and a dervish dancer archetype and a dawnflower dervish archetype...
I haven't finalized my equipment.

And you can have weapon focus in anything that the game treats as a weapon. You can certainly have weapon focus: heavy Shield (you'd have to specify, it couldn't just be 'shield" - and unless you have a feat for it, you couldn't focus bucklers or tower shields), as well as natural weapons (again, you'd have to specify.) You can even have weapon focus in your spells - I forget exactly what the categories are, I think it's "rnaged" and "tough" but might be whittled down to more narrow catergories like "ray," 'orb," "missile" etc.

D12

I knew you could have Weapon Focus (Ray) but I had to go to the Paizo FAQ to check on Weapon Focus (Melee Touch Spell) and Weapon Focus (Orb).

I'm seeing that Weapon Focus is a lot more versatile than I was under the impression it was with things like Weapon Focus (Grapple) or Weapon Focus (Bite) insert Mike Tyson joke here being street legal.

What strikes me as particularly odd is, if I'm reading the FAQs right, you could have Weapon Focus (Light Shield) and Weapon Focus (Shield Spikes) but if you bashed with a light shield that had spikes you'd only be allowed to apply one Weapon Focus bonus; which, while making rules-sense makes zero logical sense. I always assumed you had to take Weapon Focus (Shield Spikes) and use a spiked shield to use Weapon Focus -feats and Shield Bashing specifically because you couldn't take Weapon Focus in something that wasn't a weapon; and therefore needed to attach a weapon to your shield, but you learn new things when you ask questions.

Hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way by looking at their sheets, I simply enjoy learning and like looking at other people's builds. ^^

Chulanowa

Bite would be covered by weapon focus (as it's a specific weapon in the "natural weapons" grouping) but grapple wouldn't be, as that's a combat maneuver. You'd have to take Improved grapple or something (in which case you get a +2 bonus, and don't provoke Attacks of opportunity, so is actually better than weapon focus would be...)

You want a real brain-wringer? Brawlers are proficient with the use of shields as a weapon but not as shields. They're proficient in every weapon in the "close weapon" group, which includes shields. but when it talks about armor, they are explicitly not proficient with shields. So! A brawler can strap on a shield, and beat the crap out of people with it, but if he tries to use it as a shield, he takes the shield's Dex penalty on his attack rolls. You cna of course get around that with mithral and darkwood... but it's still a big dumb 'huh?"

D12

Honestly that's the sort of thing I've come to expect from the Hybrid classes. I don't really have any support for feeling like they're dumb classes, but I really wish Paizo had just done something to make multi-classing a more viable thing rather than just introduce single classes that are explicitly just two classes mashed together

Oh also; Weapon Focus (Grapple) is totally a thing.

QuoteChoose one type of weapon. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple (or ray, if you are a spellcaster) as your weapon for the purposes of this feat.
link

RubySlippers

I just wanted to get a basic character done, within the rules, for an acceptance into the game or not. Seemed to me a conniver would be good. I'm working on her background ideas likely a free Greek woman who worked out her Con for a few years until its established. But can still deal with things as a Burglar if needed.

If the traits aren't used changes won't impact the character much.

kckolbe

Quote from: D12 on April 04, 2015, 09:53:57 AM
kckolbe: How do you have so much HP? I thought we were doing average or roll; are we still getting max for Level 1 or did you roll? 8+4+4+3+3 = 22 (1st+2nd+3rd+Con+FCB) ?
I think you should only have 1 Bonus Spell for First Level with 18 Charisma. (Probably just shuffled your stats, I did the same thing a number of times)
General discussion: are the hybrid classes any good? I made a Warpriest once but the game fell through and I never got to play him. They seem… niche-y.

Sorry, somehow missed this.  I did 5s for average, since someone else mentioned that earlier.  In 3.5, though, I would have 23 (taking 4 on even levels, 5 on odd).  And I subtracted the extra bonus spell, my bad there.

Intro Thread

swordwind

Sorry for any delays. I've been a little busy. I like the character ideas but I see a few things weren't addressed by some of you. All of you are apart of a house for one reason or another. So multiple houses was never an option. All I need to see now was the connection you would all have to be at said house. Be general of course. I didn't plan on the group being larger then 5 and no more then 6. After I can get a connection rather then assuming I believe I will be able to start this. Thanks.

Muse

Aoiffe is Hadrian's concubine.  :)  Simple enough here. 

D12

Junia is technically temple property, so assuming the house has made nice with the temple of Luna; she could just be like, on permanent lone to them.