Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghosts ( Lesbian wuxia - accepting characters )

Started by Dhi, June 22, 2015, 03:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

Quote from: Crash on June 23, 2015, 06:10:49 AM
I am trying to meld Taoist alchemy (external) with a martial art.  Not sure how I am going to do that.  I do like your note on so fast they are invisible.  It kind of reminds me of the flowing, gliding movements of the monks from the recent 47 Ronin movie.
External alchemy is not only about potions, but also about external changes, including the necromantic arts of animating hopping vampires, and bringing inanimate objects to life, such as in the pulp wuxia film The Shadow where the villain has a CGI flying dagger. But a central theme to kung fu is emulating the strengths of animals, so a tincture might imbue someone with the speed of a tiger, the balance of a monkey, or the hardiness of a bear temporarily. Poultices were used to heal wounds- early Chinese herbal remedies- and elixirs did some truly amazing things like extending the lifespan, bestowing flight, or welcoming a demon into a body.

Fashions
Clothes in wuxia say a lot about a person. For the common person, this is usually a hemp or nettle yarn tunic belted with a sash, loose pants, and a padded jacket fastened with buttons of knotted cord. Women add to this long dresses, and, when working, an apron. Round woven straw hats offer protection from the sun and rain.

The wealthy indulge mainly in silks, and bright colors. Bureaucrats wear ritual capes as part of their offices, and an Imperial Minister's formal robes might trail behind him like a bridal gown. The idle rich of both sexes sport long fingernails to show that they're above menial labor. Elegant formal dresses are traditionally worn by well to do women in the cultures of wuxia; pictured left, they are the Japanese kimono with obi sash (left), the Korean hanbok (middle), and the Chinese hanfu (right).

Martial artists favor short, loose clothing for freedom of movement, and it isn't unusual to see far more skin than is modest on a kung fu master. These special people exist outside social conventions, and it's forgivable to bare a shocking amount of thigh and plunging cleavage.

Shoes are often cloth boots or slippers, with leather boots reserved for hard labor and straw sandals for the very poorest farmers. The wealthy cover their shoes with embroidery. Among cheesecake wuxia art, it's not unusual to see martial artists in narrow platform heels, perhaps inspired by Japanese geta (which elevated people above the filthy market floors) and the maiko okobo (used to train geisha in taking small, delicate steps).

Crash

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on June 23, 2015, 06:31:25 AM
Would a type of Drunken style work?  He is ingesting potions and such in place of actual alcohol or perhaps using alcohol as a base for the potions so he takes on a drunken appearance along with being empowered by the potion?

It is possible, but not sure that is exactly what I was looking for.  Not sure exactly what I am looking for actually. ;)

Perhaps the internal Taoist Alchemy is more what I am looking for. I like the three treasures and the golden crucible.  If course I will have my own smutty campy take on that.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Zaer Darkwail

Would this sort style work as basis for a (in)famous school; A group of monks who practice sensual tantrist meditative arts (think kama sutra; science of sex and carnal arts) and also drunken fist styled kung-fu mixed with opportunistic weapons (otherwise unarmed but they could pick a ladder and go crazy with it). They use narcotics (nay, they master all narcotics) over course their careers. Overall philosophy of the style or monk order is to embrace rapture of life and it's joys and not neglect no pleasure of life from your life to build rapture in yourself to reach for enlightenment (one nick names for style practitioners is called 'The grinning monk' as true practitioner of the style will die smiling, always).

Dhi

I think it could work. The monks might be viewed as a darker sect, as usually in wuxia the hedonists are the villains, and the heroes adhere to Confucian ideals. According to legend the Shaolin drunken masters were allowed to drink wine after receiving it as a gift of thanks from an official; otherwise monks were held to rigorous discipline. Maybe there's a similar story behind the Grinning Monks, who helped an emperor's romantically icy wife to discover her inner tigress.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, I will work with that then :). I will write a longer background origin but idea is that despite monks do sex, drugs and alcohol it's because they preach about joys of life and not deny yourself to experiment and find your own pleasure. However the unholiest thing to them is to find pleasure in selfishness (they do not promote cheating; they would rather spark romance and lust between established couple than lecherously seduce wife to stray example).

Chrystal

I have submitted a "work-in-progress" character, but as I have absolutely no idea what most of you are talking about, I am going to wait and see if some sort of guidance is forthcoming before I try and complete her.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Crash

Quote from: Chrystal on June 23, 2015, 04:21:36 PM
I have submitted a "work-in-progress" character, but as I have absolutely no idea what most of you are talking about, I am going to wait and see if some sort of guidance is forthcoming before I try and complete her.

I was just looking up Taoist Alchemy on the internets and trying to make it fit.  I think I am way over complicating things though. ;)

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Crash

I will work out a concept during my downtime at work tonight.  Should be fun reading it after I get some sleep.  Sleep deprived writing always sounds good at the time.  ;D

RedPhoenix

For some reason the idea of playing a spoiled merchant's daughter who wants to be a badass kung fu chick and who my daddy bribes some such person to train me is sticking in my head. An enthusiastic to the point of obnoxious apprentice type who happens to be usefully very rich and pretty? Just throwing it out there.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Idlewyld

I'm thinking of a courtesan who just happens to turn out to be the daughter of a sword master. Would that work?

Angie

I'm thinking of going with a Shaolin girl who has a lot of troubles and trauma in her past that she hasn't yet worked through, so her understanding of techniques is at mastery level, but her discipline is about as good as season 1 Prince Zuko (yeah, that's a timely reference, for those who don't get it that means her discipline would be on the low end of the scale). Very angry, prone to lashing out, all that fun stuff.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Chrystal

Well, my character is going to be the school janitor...

Um, no, not like that at all... More like this:

Yush... face claim is Liu Shi Shi.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Vercile

I'm sure you could make either work just fine Chrystal ~.^

I'll be working on my CS tonight, with a nice in depth back story and characterization. At least based on what information about the verse has been presented. :)

Crash

Quote from: Vercile on June 24, 2015, 03:26:22 AM
I'll be working on my CS tonight, with a nice in depth back story and characterization. At least based on what information about the verse has been presented. :)

Same here.

I will likely be using art for my character, but I also got inspiration from this image.

Vercile

Since there's a mix of Real and Animated character displays, I have to ask; Are we going by Animated, real or a mix of both?

Crash

I think the intent was for animated with a leaning towards cheesecake.

The image I am using for my character Here

I even plan on having an in game reason for the skimpy clothing.

Chrystal

That's great if you can find an artwork image that suits the character... That photo was the only image I found that comes close to what I'm looking for.

If someone wants to find me a nice painting of a Chinese girl wearing cheesecake-ish peasant clothing, please go ahead.

Crash

Not all Cheesecake, but might work...

Peasant Clothing is a tough one for sure.  Maybe the last one is closest to peasant and even that one is a stretch.

Images

vin26m

Quote from: Chrystal on June 24, 2015, 03:59:32 AM
That's great if you can find an artwork image that suits the character... That photo was the only image I found that comes close to what I'm looking for.

If someone wants to find me a nice painting of a Chinese girl wearing cheesecake-ish peasant clothing, please go ahead.

What do you think of these?

The character's name is Ibuki, and she's from the Street Fighter video game series. 

In the video game, she's a ninja, but her image might have that peasant/commoner look you're going for - fabric that is not silk, colors that are not bright, wraps instead of shoes, etc.  Also, she has a bit of cheesecake with the exposed hips and thighs.

Quote from: Dhi on June 23, 2015, 07:03:12 AM
For the common person, this is usually a hemp or nettle yarn tunic belted with a sash, loose pants, and a padded jacket fastened with buttons of knotted cord. Women add to this long dresses, and, when working, an apron. Round woven straw hats offer protection from the sun and rain.

Crash

I will have more about her school and her form of martial arts later.  I am too tired to write the rest up at the moment.

Background:

Early Tragedy
Shin Min was born in a village so tiny it didn’t have a name.  It was a poor village near the forest of Jeju.  The forest had a bad reputation as haunted, but Shin Min’s village seemed to suffer no ills from it.  This was explained by the village’s dedication to their ancestors who it was believed protected them from the ghosts of Jeju.  Despite the poverty of her village Shin Min was a happy child who played with her best friend Yu Fan-fay along the forest edge and in the rice paddies tended with care as their ancestors had done.  This pastoral tranquility was shattered by an imperial patrol sent to Jeju to assess the forest for harvesting lumber.  Shin Min village welcomed them with open arms giving the soldiers what food they had and entertained them with song and drink. 

The soldiers took advantage of the village’s hospitality and when they tried to take advantage of some of the village girls the elders reminded the soldiers of their duty.  The soldiers cut them down for their “disrespect” as they did with the rest of the village.  Shin Min and Yu Fan-fay escaped into Jeju.  When the soldiers attempted to follow they were chased off by the ghosts of Jeju swearing never to return to such a cursed place.  They told their commander that the village was attacked by the evil spirits of the forest and that it and the forest should be left alone.

Training
Shin Min-hee and Yu Fan-fay became lost in the Jeju for what seemed like forever before coming to the old vine covered wall of the Seonjo temple.  The Taoist masters had long cared for Jeju and the spirits within.  Long ago the forest had been cursed and the Seonjo masters worked to slowly undo this vile work and release their former ancestors from their torment.  The two orphan girls were taken in by the school and began their studies of the Tao with the school’s masters.  Shin Min possessed great balance with her and a respect for her ancestors that impressed her teachers.  She began her journey of the three treasures and her internal exploration of the golden crucible within herself.  Yu Fan-fay was bitter at her ancestors and sought her balance among the studies of the external alchemies of the Seonjo masters.  Despite their obvious differences Shin Min and Yu Fan-fay were even by the other’s side and they only grew closer as they grew older.  It was her love of Yu Fan-fay that blinded Shin Min to the bitterness Yu Fan-fay harbored in her heart toward the ancestors she felt failed to protect their village. 

Betrayal
Yu Fan-fay delved into the forbidden lore of the school’s former masters and learned how to entrap and control the ghosts of her ancestors.  She used her alchemy to bind the ghosts of their old village to her will and with their help Yu Fan-fay hunted down the soldiers that harmed their village and slaughtered many of them binding their ghosts to her as well.  Shin Min found out about the dark sorceries Yu Fan-fay was practicing and confronted her lover, pleading for her to stop and beg their master’s forgiveness.  It was these same arts that had cursed Jeju hundreds of years ago and Yu Fan-fay had undone much of the work the school had been working towards.  Shin Min wanted justice too, but not at the expense of the spirits of their ancestors.  Yu Fan-fay refused to end her quest for vengeance and was angered that Shin Min was unhappy with what she was done.  They fought that night for what seemed like hours until Shin Min was able to gain the upper hand, but could not strike her former lover down.  Yu Fan-fay summoned the ghosts of Shin Min’s family to fight on her behalf.  With Shin-Min unwilling to harm her family Yu Fan-fay used the distraction to escape.

Aftermath
Determined to put an end to Yu Fan-fay’s vengeance Shin Min chose to leave Seonjo before her training was complete.  She has wandered the Bamboo River looking for any signs of Yu Fan-fay and the remaining soldiers that massacred her village.  While doing so Shin Min has continued to hone the skills her master taught her and uses them to help others be that defending the innocent or healing the sick.  Recently she has come to the village of Pai Sun based on rumors that some of the remaining soldiers had been given positions in the honorable Lord Chiang’s guard and where ever rumors of the soldiers cropped up Yu Fan-fay was rarely far behind.

vin26m

Quote from: Dhi on June 22, 2015, 08:48:40 PM
Kongtong
The flow of the Tao, oneness with the universe, is best observed in the motions of the Kongtong. Fluid exercises meant to loosen the body to the subtle pull of Tao form the eclectic training of this school, founded on strong principles of community and chivalry. Because the Tao moves the body like a leaf in the wind, masters of this art are said to be perfectly inexhaustible. The students of Kongtong are an urban breed, trained in the use of unexpected weapons such as the fan, the weighted bracelet, the scarf, and the walking cane. These extravagant, unpredictable forms include Flower Form, Seven Harms Fist, and Between Heaven And Hell Grind.

I'm interested in playing someone like this:

Kitana went to the Kongtong school where she mastered dual wielding fans.  Each fan can be used to create gusts of wind, allowing her to blow opponents off their feet, glide, enhance her jumping and leaping, and even fly limited distances.  She can also use the fans themselves as projectiles which return to her hand after being thrown, or she can remove the four daggers and use them in melee or for throwing.

Dhi, please let me know if she seems like she would be a good fit for the game.  Thanks!

Dhi

Quote from: Muse on June 23, 2015, 05:33:11 PM
Oh! 

Am I too late, Dhi?
You're not too late. The amount of interest has really surprised me, though. I'm counting thirteen potential players, and that's more than we can gracefully fit into a party-based adventure.

So, I'd like to further develop Pai Sun and its sister cities, the Dragon Wall and the surrounding environs, and open up plotting to divergent stories that are player-driven instead of all bottlenecked around my replies. I know that wuxia may be a genre you're not all comfortable writing plots for, and if I turn things over without any guidance some may be at a loss for how to proceed. So I'm looking at a light sandbox to accommodate everyone.

Quote from: Vercile on June 24, 2015, 03:32:34 AM
Since there's a mix of Real and Animated character displays, I have to ask; Are we going by Animated, real or a mix of both?
The look I'm going for personally is inspired by Korean manhwa artists like Kim Hyung Tae, Huk Yo Suk, Kwon Yun Jeong, and Olivia830. A photographic style would be risky for me as GM because I may continue to need images... but if you find a real life model who really suits your character, go for it!

With luck we won't have a Who Framed Roger Rabbit divide between the two.

Quote from: vin26m on June 24, 2015, 06:02:54 AM
Dhi, please let me know if she seems like she would be a good fit for the game.  Thanks!
I do think so, and a Kongtong character would be great.

Quote from: Chrystal on June 23, 2015, 04:21:36 PM
Absolutely. The background you pitched to me is a great fit for wuxia, although working at the schools (each of which are remote from Pai Sun, as martial arts schools tend to be) and living in Pai Sun would represent quite a commute. It's not impossible, especially in the realm of wuxia, for a hard-working girl to bring pails of water each day to the four schools, scrub the floors, and still have time for rest. It's the amazing, impossible kind of stories that precede kung fu masters. But if you want something closer, something less fantastical, perhaps she no longer works on school grounds.

By the end of today I intend to develop the area a little better. Once I do we can open up world building and discuss stories.

In the meantime, how does this sit with everyone?

The Five Elements of the Tao
The cosmic forces of Yin and Yang shape all life in an imperfect mixture. Depending on where a person falls within this scale, they may be said to favor Water (almost pure Yin), Metal (mostly Yin), Earth (balance), Wood (mostly Yang), or Fire (almost pure Yang). Popular belief is that those of each element hew close to a certain personality type, have certain tendencies in love, and have strengths or weaknesses against the other elements. Even if untrue, these stereotypes may color others' perceptions of you.

Water
Those of the Water element were often born in the winter. History recalls many Waters who were receptive to demands, an indispensable anchor, at their most creative when under the strictest limitations, and they're said to be motivated by social bonds. In love, Waters are said to be pure submissives. In kung fu, the soft palm embodies Water, a flowing counter to the most severe strike, turning the enemy's own momentum against him. Water has the upper hand against Fire, falls to Earth, and fosters Wood.

Metal
Those of the Metal element were often born in autumn. Cool, curious, experimenting, Metals are thought to be especially attuned to their own unique voices and wonderful artists and speakers, often motivated by obsession. In love, Metals are said to prefer submission. In kung fu, Metal is embodied in the knife chop hand position, an open palm whose narrow striking surface is suited to exploiting a single vulnerable point. Metal has the upper hand against Wood, falls to Fire, and fosters Water.

Earth
Those of the Earth element were often born in the weeks of transition between each of the four seasons. These heroes tend to be sympathetic and adaptive to new opportunities ina changing world, often motivated by kindness. In love, Earths are said to be switches. In kung fu, the tiger claw hand position embodies Earth, able to deliver harsh strikes when needed but also divert an opponent's hasty attack. Earth has the upper hand against Water, falls to Wood, and fosters Metal.

Wood
Those of the Wood element were often born in the spring. Many of this element are pioneering spirits, incensed by the things in the world they feel ought to change, often motivated by competition. In love, Woods are said to prefer dominance. In kung fu, the snake hand position embodies Wood, a versatile offense with surprising angles of attack. Wood has the upper hand against Earth, falls to Metal, and fosters Fire.

Fire
Those of the Fire element were often born in the summer. It is written that these heroes are full of intensity and energy, driven by the passions of the heart, often motivated by fame and recognition. In love, Fires are said to be purely dominant. In kung fu, the punching fist embodies Fire, a direct strike which batters down defenses by merit of superior will alone. Fire has the upper hand against Metal, falls to Water, and fosters Earth.

RedPhoenix

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Angie

Oi, lots of players...I worry I won't be able to keep up with the rest of you, I might have to pull out of this one...
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!