News:

Main Menu

Movement Dreams

Started by Angelo, February 19, 2006, 10:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

((Excuse my english If I mess up,))

Have you ever had a dream where you are barely sleeping at all, and suddenly you move a limb or flex or shiver spastically in reaction to your dream? Because just this morning, I was almost awake I guess, and I smashed my heel onto the metal bar at the end of my bed from a dream that I can't remember. So I couldn't leave the house because of this rather bruisingly annoying injury. Anyone have any similar experiences with their dreams? Just curious. @@;
Boys and Girls of Elliquiy, looking for a femme-looking furry male slave that'll do anything? Give me a pm. o.o;  ((Furry as in my avatar.=3 ))

MagicalPen

I had a dream where at one point a jumped over a snow bank and hide behind it, but was laying on my arm. I woke up in the very same position.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Hannibal

I don't know if it is in response to a dream or not, but I often wake up suddenly when I move a limb or shiver spasmodically. Usually it is like I am suddenly falling, which is not good given I have a fear of heights :)
Happiness is a choice!

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5492.0

strangely made

The reason that happens is fairly easy to explain. It's down to a reflex action built into your brain.
A certain level of relaxation makes your subconscious think you are dieing, so your brain automatically stimulates a muscle (normally in your leg) to check that you are actually still alive.

Hannibal

Cool! Reminds of that Cat Stevens song with the line ... the dreams in which I'm dying / are the best I ever had ;)
Happiness is a choice!

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5492.0

Celestial Goblin

Happens very rarely to me, but i think at least once in life i punched my fist at something and awakened from the pain. I think it was a very violent dream and i actually started dishing out punches.

Lilac

Quote from: strangely made on February 20, 2006, 07:47:10 AM
The reason that happens is fairly easy to explain. It's down to a reflex action built into your brain.
A certain level of relaxation makes your subconscious think you are dieing, so your brain automatically stimulates a muscle (normally in your leg) to check that you are actually still alive.

It's called the myoclonic jerk.  The explanation I've heard is that, as the body falls into REM sleep and dreams begin, the brain interprets the relaxation and unexpected movement as a loss of control, and attempts to re-exert it.  It can also occur in normal dreaming where movement is involved, which is why most think the 'dying hypothesis' is lacking.