Clash of Dark Lords (Vs Thread)

Started by chaoslord29, April 10, 2013, 01:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaoslord29

Having not seen anything strictly prohibiting Versus threads, but also at something of a loss as to where to post anything resembling one, I firstly want to make sure that a hypothetical discussion of a contest between fictional characters is entirely appropriate on this or any other subforum here on Elliquiy. Hopefully goes without saying that I'm interested in an intellectual discourse here, not a flame war or a 'nuh uh'/'yeah huh' contest, or playing out an RP between them. It's more along the lines of gathering information and second opinions on a longstanding discussion between myself and some friends IRL, and some other forums I've broached the topic with.

To business then; assuming they were to meet on equal footing, in neutral ground, at the height of their respective power, without the constraints or contrivances of plot and story in play, and that their personal abilities are equally effective against one another, who would prove victorious in a contest of arms between:

The Betrayer of the Jedi, the Terror of the Galaxy Far Far Away, the Dark Lord of the Sith and Right Hand of the Galactic Emperor . . . Darth Vader!
&
London's Greatest Practitioner of the Dark Arts, the founder, leader and rule of the Neo-Pureblood movement, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named . . . Lord Voldemort!
Assumptions:

• Both dark lords are at the height of their power as taken from a combination of all available sources across the full range of media that otherwise lies within the realm of their respective canons.
  • Each combatant is going into the fight ignorant of any details of the other, starting 20 paces apart (about 60ft) on level, open terrain, and without weapons in hand.
  • Magic of the world of Harry Potter and The Force of the Galaxy Far Far Away are different expression of the same power; thus able to effect one another equally.
  • The duel will be conducted with isolation with no oustide intervention taking place by entities affiliated with either side.
  • A victor is declared when the opposing combatant is helpless/disabled/incapable of continuing the fight or defending themselves.

Discuss!
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

Moraline

We had someone that once posted a Superman Vs Goku thread. You're not that same person are you? It was a fun discussion.

PS you might really enjoy these guys on youtube "Death Battle!" http://www.youtube.com/show/deathbattle

On Topic:

I like Darth Vader way more, but Voldemort is a sorcerer and should be able to easily subdue and destroy the movie Darth Vader. Vader has to concentrate to much to make his powers work and he doesn't have the ability to expel force lightning or anything.

On the other hand...

The book Darth Vader (especially the Luke Skywalker as Vader would destroy Voldemort) as the book Vader is fully capable of almost all force related powers. He's also fought an endless stream of battles, wars, and duels that places him well ahead in training and experience. Voldemort is a manipulator, not a warrior. With no time to prepare, Voldemort would be outmatched, ill-prepared, and without his best tools (cheating, lying, manipulating, and his armies of cronies.)

Edit - Oops, I forgot to include:
DEATH BATTLE! - Luke Skywalker VS Harry Potter

chaoslord29

Quote from: Moraline on April 10, 2013, 02:18:58 PM
We had someone that once posted a Superman Vs Goku thread. You're not that same person are you? It was a fun discussion.

PS you might really enjoy these guys on youtube "Death Battle!" http://www.youtube.com/show/deathbattle

On Topic:

I like Darth Vader way more, but Voldemort is a sorcerer and should be able to easily subdue and destroy the movie Darth Vader. Vader has to concentrate to much to make his powers work and he doesn't have the ability to expel force lightning or anything.

On the other hand...

The book Darth Vader (especially the Luke Skywalker as Vader would destroy Voldemort) as the book Vader is fully capable of almost all force related powers. He's also fought an endless stream of battles, wars, and duels that places him well ahead in training and experience. Voldemort is a manipulator, not a warrior. With no time to prepare, Voldemort would be outmatched, ill-prepared, and without his best tools (cheating, lying, manipulating, and his armies of cronies.)

Edit - Oops, I forgot to include:
DEATH BATTLE! - Luke Skywalker VS Harry Potter

I was not that person haha, but my vote definitely goes for Goku, for many of the same reasons you listed here for Vader.

I should clarify in the initial post I guess that since we're assuming each character is at the height of their power, that both the books and the movies related to Vader and Vodlemort are in play. That said, I realize that in the Expanded Universe Vader is attributed some powers which conflict with the depiction of what the Force is even capable of in general. To that end, I think a case by case comparison is needed along the guideline that anything too extreme for the rest of Star Wars Canon will be ruled out.

Thus I am in agreement that Vader's superior combat expertise give him the needed edge to defeat the Dark Lord of the Wizarding World.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales