Exalted: The Northern Lights (Exalted 3E Recruitment Thread!)

Started by Cessali, December 03, 2016, 05:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cessali

The Haslanti League finds itself in interesting times.

Vigilance and diligence has given the League's people freedom from many of the great oppressive powers of the world.  Their iceships range the White Sea, free from the tariffs of the Scarlet Realm; their airboats sail the skies, linking the many city-states into a cohesive economic network free from the manipulations of Guildsfaith merchant factors.  They are free to be who they are, but threats unheard-of since before the League's birth cast a shadow over that future.

The icewalkers, frequent enemies and rivals of the League's outlying member-tribes, have banded together beneath the the Bull of the North.  The Icewalker Empire is the only nation in recent memory besides the Haslanti League to have successfully repelled the Scarlet Realm, and they did so more grandly, and violently – and the Bull's hunger for conquest seems to know no bounds.

The restless dead have begun to rise in force.  Some say the ancient shades of bygone ages have been disturbed by reckless excavations; others tell tales of the deathknights of faraway Thorns, and murmur that surely the North hides its own share of secrets.  The priestly order that serves the Haslanti Ennead – the gods of ice, dreams, and fate who serve as the League's patrons – find themselves called with greater and greater frequency to tend such problems.

The Fair Folk, always a danger in the far North, sojourn from their wintry peaks with greater enthusiasm and frequency.  Survivors of raksha attacks claim that they are hunting an answer to some grave riddle, but more effort is being spent fending their raiders away and sabotaging their schemes than discovering what exactly that riddle is.

And all around them, the old rivals of the League watch with baited breath, hoping to exploit – or create – an opening to bring back the old, bad days.

The League's greatest asset – its openness and willingness to press on where few travel – is also its greatest weakness, for the peoples who have joined the League did so with the understanding that they would be allowed to retain their ways.  The majority of Haslanti tribes and city-states ferociously resist the idea that they should band under a single authoritative ruler, and this limits their ability to muster their complete strength as a whole.  Will the League retain its identity and diversity and successfully repel the dangers that threaten them all?  Will they find something new – or be forced to adopt it – and gain the strength to survive?  Or will they debate the proper course of action even as the Bull's legions are marching on their few fertile lands?

And in this building chaos, a handful of the the Solar Exalted are drawn to the young city-state of Crystal, as something from ages lost stirs in its sleep...

Greetings, E-folk!  I am seeking additional players for an Exalted 3rd Edition play-by-post game currently hosted on Elliquiy.  The game is currently set in the Haslanti League, in the city-state of Crystal; the three players and I have decided that three people is not enough to keep a game going at a brisk pace, so I am opening recruitment for three, four, maybe five more players.

The setting wiki, such as it's been developed, can be found here.

Characters will be Solars (or mortals, if they're deemed to fit), must be interested either casually or personally in the well-being of the Haslanti League, and must have a reason to be in the city-state of Crystal -- a young but vibrant mostly-mining community digging out feathersteel and ancient relics of a forgotten age.  ST preference will be given to Northern concepts.  The current players will also participate in deciding who will be joining them, to help make sure we get a coherent group, so you are welcome to bribe them with whatever tickles their fancy.

I am not mandating that the group be a perfect circle.  If the best characters that join us are all Twilights, then we will run one Dawn, one Night, one Zenith, and five Twilights.

Character Creation is nonstandard!

All Attributes start at 1.  Willpower starts at 5.  Essence starts at 1.  You do not receive and distribute dots of any sort; instead, you receive 425 experience points to spend on your character, bringing them up from scratch.  Story Merits are exempt from this, as I will award anywhere from three to thirteen dots based on your character concept, or perhaps more if needed.

I recommend floating your concept by us in the following format before you begin doing much in the way of necessary arithmetic.

Meta-game Guidelines

GAMEMASTER'S PHILOSOPHY

Yes, I think this is important.  Your heart may say "HOORAY EXALTED LET US REJOICE IN THE NEW AGE OF GODS AND MONSTERS" but there are so many ways to play this game, or ANY game, that I want everyone to be more or less on the same page as we get this started.
   Yes, this is a lot of data.  I'm a firm-believer in front-loading information because I think it's the easiest way for everyone to get an idea of what's likely to happen over the course of things, and I appreciate your patience.

On the Shift from 2E to 3E
   You may presume that much of the purely mundane sociopolitical and geographical of Ex2 is still mostly valid, save where 3E says otherwise.  Where questions come up about the preternatural side of things, presume that 3E is the dominating theme; think less in the style of Final Fantasy and more in the style of Earthsea.

On Metaplot
   When I GM, I come to the table with one primary intent: giving people a chance to be awesome.  I like to think my particular talents support that!  With that in mind, I'm only coming to the table with a handful of details about where this game may go with regards to the overarching story, and may well toss out everything I've planned thus far if I see a proposed idea that's even better.  My favorite campaigns are the ones where my players ignore a murder mystery to go chase a butterfly, and when provided with a butterfly hunt create a murder mystery out of it.
   This said, I prefer to have characters who are going to generate plot of their own volition or comport themselves in an entertaining fashion while attached to characters of the above sort.  You are free to create a character who does neither, but I am not sure you will have fun if you do so!  Caveat emptor.
   Where will this game go?  Very broadly speaking, I've found two ways Exalted tends to go: a great grand quest is adopted by the player characters and the campaign follows the events of that quest, or a great decision is made to forge a new and better world in the ruins of the old.  If I wasn't willing to be surprised at how things go, though, I wouldn't be running this of all games.

On the Posting Rate
   I will do my damndest to get out GM posts two to three days per week, or two to three days after I've got the first response to a GM post.  I will try to do more!  I cannot promise more than that, particularly in event of illness, holidays, employment, moving, and all the crisis events that might take place, but I know I can do three a week under most circumstances, so that is what I anticipate at this time.
   I ask that players be able to post either to the IC or OOC threads or the group Discord channel at least once in a week, so that I know you're alive and still active.  If I don't hear from you in ten days, I'll try to throw you a PM asking what's going on and seeing if there's something I can do to help; if I don't get a response or get a PM within two weeks since your last post, I will be obliged have to shuffle you aside into a period of narrative non-significance (honoring Intimacies in order of intensity) so the rest of us can continue.
   These time frames will condense significantly if there's a fight, social or physical, in progress.  Slowness is a game-killer no matter the medium, and PBP is slower than other formats.

On Alternate Meeting Zones
   If players are inclined, they are free to RP outside of the context of the thread; I only ask that you PM or send me a copy or synopsis of whatever happened so I have an idea of what's going on. 

On Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll (But Mostly Sex)
   I am probably not going to be doing more than fading to black when it comes to sexytimes with NPCs.  This is not because I am opposed to sex (or I wouldn't be gaming on E!); this is because I don't have the faith I'll be able to pay individual participants the attention they deserve if heat gets hot in that particular fashion.  Be advised!

On Character Death and Character Defeat
   Losing a character is often one of the most agonizing things in roleplaying.  Unless it happens at the Right Moment -- and honestly, it does sometimes happen at the right moment -- it takes time to get back up to speed, for everybody involved.  With that in mind, I'm borrowing something from FATE: Concessions.
   If your character is involved in a scene and things turn against them, you may offer a concession in exchange for a fair escape.  Characters whose concessions are accepted immediately leave the scene and may not affect, or be affected by, anything outside the terms of the concession.  A character involved in a debate may offer a particularly atrocious gaffe, embarrassing themselves in front of viewers, but in doing so avoid having to expose a darker secret in public.  A warrior fighting a duel on a rope bridge may offer to be knocked down off a cliff, their body unrecoverable by friend or foe until the next scene.  A thief may offer a town militia the concession of getting away white losing their hard-fought-for prize. 
   Concessions are offered out-of-character, and if accepted, immediately take effect at the speed of plot.
   NPCs will offer concessions as their motivations and inclinations direct them to do so, and will take concessions provided they are at all reasonable.  A merchant prince will likely accept a superior offer, a general will accept a victory for the day; a character you have repeatedly and crushingly humiliated is unlikely to accept anything short of exact-to-the-penny retribution for wrongs done.

On Stunting
   Ex3 stunting is usefully simplified from its previous iterations.  For the purposes of this game, you may always presume you are getting a rank one stunt.  If I evaluate your stunt as sufficiently cool, I'll let you know about additional successes and willpower rewards.
      How do you get better rewards from me?  If I can see it with the mind's eye as a sweet exchange of things in a kung-fu flick or a solid anime episode, you're probably set.  The more it -looks- like you're writing an extra hundred words to gain an additional success, then the less liable I am to give you those extra rewards.

On Meta-Expectations
      There are so many ways to play and GM that I'd like to make sure everybody's expectations are on the same page.  This is a tool I found courtesy Bankuei that lists a lot of the possibilities games can flow through; I intend to run a game where the bolded sentences are the dominant motifs.  Alternate possibilities are listed to acknowledge the fact that those modes exist and are being not emphasized in this particular campaign.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Same Page Tool – Checklist

Do you play to win?

a) Yes, you totally play to win! The win conditions are…
b) Good play isn’t a win/lose kind of thing

Player characters are:

a) expected to work together; conflicts between them are mostly for show
b) expected to work together; major conflicts might erupt but you’ll patch them up given some time
c) expected to work together; major conflicts might erupt and never see reconciliation
d) pursuing their own agendas – they might work together, they might work against each other
e) expected to work against each other, alliances are temporary at best

The GM’s role is:

a) The GM preps a set of events – linear or branching; players run their characters through these events. The GM gives hints to provide direction.
b) The GM preps a map with NPCs and/or monsters. The players have their characters travel anywhere they can reach on the map, according to their own goals.
c) The GM has no plan – the GM simply plays the NPCs and has them act or react based on their motivations
d) There’s no GM. Everyone works together to make the story through freeform.
e) There’s no GM. The rules and the system coordinate it all.

The players’ roles are…

a) …to follow the GM’s lead to fit the story
b) …to set goals for their characters, and pursue them proactively
c) …to fling their characters into tough situations and make hard, sometimes, unwise choices

Doing the smartest thing for your character’s survival…

a) …is what a good player does.
b) …sometimes isn’t as important as other choices
c) …isn’t even a concern or focus for this game.

The GM’s role to the rules is…

a) …follow them, come what may. (including following house rules)
b) …ignore them when they conflict with what would be good for the story
c) …ignore them when they conflict with what “should” happen, based either on realism, the setting, or the genre

After many sessions of play, during one session, a player decides to have her character side with an enemy. This is…

a) …something that shouldn’t even happen. This is someone being a jerk.
b) …where the character becomes an NPC, right away or fairly soon.
c) …something the player and the GM should have set up ahead of time.
d) …only going to last until the other player characters find out and do something about it.
e) …a meaningful moment, powerful and an example of excellent play.

A fistfight breaks out in a bar! The details of where everything is – tables, chairs, where everyone is standing -- is something that…

a) …is important and will be displayed on a map or grid, perhaps using miniature figures.
b) …is something the GM will describe and you should ask questions to get more information.
c) …you can decide on the spot using specific game rules (rolling dice, spending points, whatever)
d) …isn’t really that important other than it makes for an interesting scene- pretty much anyone can come up with details.

In order to really have fun with this game, the rulebook is something that…

a) …everyone playing needs to have read and understood before play, because the rules and setting are both very important.
b) …everyone should know the rules very well.
c) …everyone should know the setting very well.
d) …everyone at least should know the basics of the rules.
e) …everyone at least should know the genre the game pulls from
f) …Only one person needs to really know the rules and it can be explained in 10 minutes or less to everyone else.

This game runs best when the players take time to create characters that are…

a) …built to face challenges using the mechanics and stats.
b) …written with extensive backstories or histories
c) …given strong motivations and an immediate problem or crisis
d) …tied into the other characters as (allies) (enemies) (as either)
e) …written with some knowledge, research or reading up on the game setting, real history or an actual culture

Our current PCs...

Dawn Caste Mnemon Kyrion, by Wheresmycow, a Dynastic exile who drew Second Breath determined to slay a monster... on a Wyld Hunt.  On the run from his sister, who is mournfully leading the hunt to pursue (and bring back the heirlooms that Kyrion stole on his departure from sanity), and trying to do good deeds in order to prove to himself that he is not the demon he fears himself to be.

Zenith Caste Sarah Bethan Lifetouch, a mendicant doctor originally hailing from Gethamane who Exalted defending a hospital from the things that lurk beneath the hills.  Leaving the incessant weirdness of her birthplace to expand her knowledge, she was adopted by a powerful raksha who taught her the weird and subtle ways of the magical world, and left her with gifts to spread the good word of peace.

Night Caste Rurik, an assassin hailing from the faraway city of Nexus, who Exalted when he betrayed his order and survived their retaliatory murderers.  He has come to the far North seeking the shade of his dead wife, who his former master revealed had been tormented into undeath and sold far away as vengeance.

Still interested?  Float a concept by us, in the following format.

Name:
Caste:
Supernal:
Why are they in Crystal?
If this game was a movie, what would your character's cool scene or witty exchange be in the trailer?
What's your favorite part of Exalted?
What's your least favorite part of Exalted?

HairyHeretic

Name: Raven (former First Field Force Ashigaru from Lookshy)
Caste: Dawn
Supernal: Solar
Why are they in Crystal? Dreams. Dreams that haunt me every night that I did not journey Northwards. Whispers just beyond the threshold of hearing, a woman's voice, a woman's silhouette, backlit by a city of ice.
What's your favorite part of Exalted? Wuxia turned up to 11 :)
What's your least favorite part of Exalted? The Infernals. I never felt they fitted in.
If this game was a movie, what would your character's cool scene or witty exchange be in the trailer?

Raven lay on his stomach, watching the goings on in the Guild caravans camp some hundred yards distant. They had made camp for the night less than an hour before, and from what he could see, they were following the same routine as they had the previous night.

So, you still intend to do this? came the lilting voice in his head. Attack an entire caravan on your own?

"But of course." he murmured, though his unseen companion could hear his thoughts perfectly well. "I dislike the Guild on general principles, but slavers more so than most."

His mind flashed back to the ruin of the camp he had come across three days previously, the stench of rotting flesh and charred wood mixing in the air. Two, perhaps three families in the wagons, but to the Guild, profit on the move. They'd slaughtered those who'd tried to fight, those too old or too young to be of use, and made off with perhaps half a dozen fresh slaves. He'd made far better time than the Guild though, and caught up to them with the walls of Nexus still a day or two distant.

Now, looking down into the camp he could see the slaves they'd taken hobbled by one of the wagons. His fist curled tight around the haft of his shocklance as he saw one of the girls being dragged away from the rest, into one of the wagons, and screams made weak with distance began to rise into the air. In the camp itself little heed was paid to them.

Now, before you do anything rash, maybe you should think about how you're going to free those captives.

Raven nodded, exhaling a long, slow breath, and made himself loosen his grip on his weapon. He rose slowly to his feet, looking the camp over. The sensor augmentation visor of his ashigaru armour gave him more than enough light to see by, and between the gathering darkness and the armours camouflage systems, he would be effectively invisible to those in the camp. Even running at full speed, the most they would see would be a blur.

"It's simple enough." he said. "I wait til most of the camp is asleep, dispatch the sentries, bring them out, go back and cut the horse lines loose so they will reach Nexus before the caravan does, oh, and then steal the caravan master's strongbox. They'll need some coin to help set them up in the city."

Just like that?

"Of course." he replied. "This is one of my plans, remember?"

Yes, that's what I'm afraid off.

Raven chuckled, turning to look at the suns light fading in the west, then back to the camp.

"Soon." he whispered. "Soon."
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Cessali

Bueno.

Thanks for the sample, Heretic.  You only listed "Solar" as your Supernal -- did you have an inkling of which Ability you were going to mark accordingly?

HairyHeretic

I have a couple of different ideas, but I'd want to discuss a few things with you before settling on one.

What I'd like to try to do with this character is a gun kata martial art style, probably something between Righteous Devil and Steel Devil styles, using something like a force projection pike. In my head I have the idea of a pair of essence projection tonfa, for the paired pistol look. The feel behind it, the Righteous Devil suits much better, the whole judgement and redemption angle, but Steel Devil provides some nice dual wield melee techniques that Righteous Devil doesn't.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cessali

That -is- a cool idea.  The trick about implementing it as described is that neither of the martial arts you mention have tonfa-style stuff as part of their aesthetic, and I do want to keep MAs with their particular style weapons until I have an idea as to what breaks when they're toyed with.  If you want to homebrew a style that does use tonfa, I'd be fine with that; otherwise, I think you could do that aesthetic fairly well with a combination of Melee and Thrown.

Does that help?

Zaer Darkwail

Well, instead of mixing martial arts you could go for specific evocations with the pair of artifacts. Evocations can be after all be anything and any theme and thus dual wielding gun-fu sort attacks would fit for evocations. Or have basic quality 'when using martial arts these pistols count as artifact tonfa's and allow meld ranged combat charms with martial arts without penalty'. Or go as Jarick suggested to make pistols function well on melee x throw/ranged charms (as base ability unlocked before evocations which push theme further functional mode).

HairyHeretic

So, here's sort of what is floating around atm

The 2nd ed Wonders of the First Age book had Force Projection weapons as 2 and 3 dot artifacts. The 3 dot version carries a 'battery' of 20 motes, as well as allowing the Exalt to channel their own essence through it. I think slotting a hearthstone would probably allow them to recharge the same way the Exalt does, but I'm not as familiar with the 3rd ed artifacts as previous editions. I do like the idea of using Evocations, but for those I'd want them to the important stuff, along the lines of the RDS's Caress of 1,000 Hells ... on a killing shot the target finds themselves between life and death, with a final chance to repent. If they truly and honestly repent, the killing low doesn't land. If they don't, it does and they die.

I could do the weapon as a spear (same as the 2nd ed one), but honestly I prefer the image of the twin tonfa, as that's pretty much how the gun kata was done in Equilibrium, the pistols being used in a fairly similar manner to tonfa. Making them artifact tonfa would work with the overall feel, and match the image of twin pistols.

The Righteous Devil Form charm does allow for a firewand to be used as a melee weapon, but that's just an additional benefit of the style. From the RDS I'd think of using the following charms:
Kiss of the Sun Concentration
Righteous Devil Form
Azure Abacus Meditation
Dancing Devil Trigger Finger (though I like the idea of dropping the range down to short and having a 360 degree action - cue the Death Blossom :) )
Caress of 1,000 Hells (possibly through an Evocation)

While the Steel Devil Style uses blades rather than Tonfa, I don't think there are any other specifically dual wielding styles. The melee charms from this style would provide the counterpoint to the ranged ones from RDS
Double Attack Technique
Dual Slaying Stance
Twin Blade Defense

I haven't played enough 3rd edition to know if this would break anything. I don't think it would, as I'm trying to go for cinematic style here over mechanics. I'm not familiar enough with the evocations to know if anything like this is doable. Given the weapons project bolts of force, archery might make more sense than thrown though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Arsene

Exalted is one of the few WW games I hadn't looked into at all, but I just went through the 3e core rulebook and holy shit yes. I'm definitely going to make a character to submit to y'all. My one question is: is your campaign focused mostly on action/combat? Totally fine if so, I just want to know if a more talky Eclipse would fit in and be useful.

HairyHeretic

Eclipse caste are always useful :) I normally play one, but wanted to try something different this time.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

I'm thinking of rebuilding Azure Grace, a Night professional assassin, and seeing how well she does in Ex3.

And I can confirm that talky characters are ALWAYS useful, especially when they have the supernatural ability to make sure they're heard.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

HairyHeretic

And to talk to spirits. Fae. Deathlords. All kinds, really.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cessali

@Heretic:
3E Artifacts have two major changes from 2E stuff.  The first is that the 'magitech' aesthetic, and some of the attendant setting ramifications, have been taken out in sizeable chunks -- artifice, especially arms and armor, is now single-order stuff that might have kin but never a twin.  The second is that artifacts really don't have -much- in the way of starting-off powers the way that 2E stuff did, unless you're getting into the higher-order stuff -- an attunement bonus typically offers an free unlock of the first Evocation, a small bump to one of its stats, or sometimes rarely both (see also: Volcano Cutter).

Making ranged attacks with a weapon that isn't ranged is typically an Essence 2 effect out of the box (see also Solar Melee, the one Hearthstone that gives you fiery fists, Shining Ice Razor).

Having thought about this most of the day, I'm not entirely comfortable with merging two significantly-different martial arts styles to be used with the same weapons and potentially on the same attacks -- it was highly system-deforming in 2E, and I don't want to be the one to open that can of worms.  However, I have a proposal: would you still be interested in the character if we instead used paired artifact firewands, fitted with a long stock or a blade-y/bayonett-y fixture, that lets them also serve as close combat weapons without the need for a the RDS Charm to be active, and then went with Righteous Devil Style?  That would be well within my comfort zone mechanically speaking.

@Arsene
Every game I've ever run has had a potential place for an Eclipse, and the group thus far seems like someone savvy could mesh very well.  Eclipse immunity means you afford the group chances to get up to all sorts of shenanigans that might otherwise be shady at best!

@AndyZ
Go ahead and fill out that thing, if you would, and I'll add you to the list of interested folks.  Yay!

HairyHeretic

I've no issues with dropping the Steel Devil Style stuff, I can probably work around that with standard melee charms I imagine. The main issue I have with the firewands is that from the description, they're one shot flamethrowers, which doesn't really work with the gunkata theme I was trying to go for. That was why I was looking at the essence projection weapons from 2nd ed. Would it be possible to do Righteous Devil Style with those?

If we can't make it work, it's no big deal, I have a couple of other Exalted characters I can bring out, an Eclipse I've run in a few other games, and a Zenith ranger type who has been running a one man guerrilla war against the minions of the Mask of Winters :). Optionally I can put Raven together with a different build and leave the gunkata angle be.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 05, 2016, 05:50:00 PM
I've no issues with dropping the Steel Devil Style stuff, I can probably work around that with standard melee charms I imagine. The main issue I have with the firewands is that from the description, they're one shot flamethrowers, which doesn't really work with the gunkata theme I was trying to go for. That was why I was looking at the essence projection weapons from 2nd ed. Would it be possible to do Righteous Devil Style with those?

I would offer the suggestion of Phantom Arrow Technique being allowed for flame pieces and the like, or a custom Charm which works for Flame weaponry with Phantom Arrow Technique as a prerequisite.  You'll want a Flame Piece; it's a one-shot flamethrower, but more of a pistol than a rifle.  Page 589.

Flame pieces aren't mentioned as artifacts, but it would be exceptionally easy to create one as a medium Archery weapon with all the appropriate tags.  Tags: Lethal, Archery (Short), Flame, Mounted, One Handed, Slow.  Maybe Slow could be removed by spending a mote for each use and it's just designed to work well with Phantom Arrow Technique, and that's its initial Evocation?

Quote from: Jarick on December 05, 2016, 04:28:16 PM
@AndyZ
Go ahead and fill out that thing, if you would, and I'll add you to the list of interested folks.  Yay!

Pondering that major scene ^_^ It's in the brainpan, though.

AndyZ

Name: Azure Grace
Caste: Night
Supernal: Stealth
Why are they in Crystal?: Finishing up an assassin job.  It could even be already done if you prefer, just to get her into the right place.
If this game was a movie, what would your character's cool scene or witty exchange be in the trailer?  A bit long for a trailer as it ended up in my head, but it's below the line.  Not my best work but it gives an idea for the concept I'm pushing towards.
What's your favorite part of Exalted?  Being awesome and the ability to change the world.  So many White Wolf games leave you trapped and unable to actually progress and make the world a better place.
What's your least favorite part of Exalted?  The inconsistent power levels for the various Exalts.  In a mixed group, if you don't play a Solar, you won't really keep up.

Tepet Acerak opened the door to his study with a sigh, bringing out one of the books that held an answer to his mystery somewhere contained within its pages.  "Six," he called.  "How's the stew?  These old bones are nearly enough to..."

Six Soft Petals was laid out on the floor, unconscious.  A sharp blow, but whatever assassin had finally tracked him down apparently had enough compassion not to kill his servants.  Small comfort.

"Tepet Acerak."  The being with the Anathema mark moved with a sinewy grace, difficult to distinguish in any way, beyond the mark of the Wretched on its forehead.  "You should feel honored.  I don't usually take the time to reveal myself."

He glanced through the area, but his hidden weapons had been taken.  "It's not enough that I was humiliated before the Blessed Isle and sent to this fortress of ice, Wretched?  How much are they paying you?"

No matter how he shifted, trying to think of an escape, he could feel its eyes upon him.  "This isn't about your failed attack on the throne, your attempt to seize power or any other such nonsense.  This is all from that week you spent in Nexus."

"Nexus?"  He stopped to consider the various business deals, but they'd all gone smoothly.  Surely none of them would want him dead.

"You hired a prostitute," the Wretched explained, "broke her nose, sliced your name into her back, and then told all the world that she was a terrible lay and deserved whatever she got."

Silent, he all but ignored her words, trying to find a way out.

"One of her friends had associates in an assassin's guild, but no one had enough to pay.  She begged and she pleaded, even as the poor woman took her own life."  The blade flashed beneath a shadow.  "No one's paying me to be here, Acerak.  You're a special case."

Despite himself, he couldn't help but balk.  "You traveled all the way from Nexus because of some whore?"

"I had a few other targets, but I saved you for last."  When the Wretched finally moved, he found himself pinned, his good arm stuck against the wall.  Yet its hand was ready to catch his scream.  "My client had a special request, though.  If you can remember her name, I leave you wounded and bloody, but still alive."

Thoughts of escape under his own power vanished as he tried desperately to remember that one single meaningless night in Nexus.

"Well?  What was her name?"

Cessali

@Heretic
If you're willing to go through the work of rebuilding them as a 3E artifact, Evocations and all, then I'll definitely take a look.  They are unfortunately way too good out of the box to simply port over, given the subtler shifts in the 3E battle dynamic.  If that work, or using Phantom Arrow Technique to generate firedust for each shot you don't have loaded, is not really something that interests you (and I can't blame you if it isn't), I'll be happy to look other ideas!  We're not yet on a strict timeframe for submission completions at this point.

@AndyZ
Sveet action.  Thanks for your submission!

The writing sample gives me the impression that Azure is from way, way far away.  Do you have any investment in whether she's Haslanti, a foreign Northerner, or someone from months of travel distant?  The farther away her native stomping ground is, the more personal a reason I'd like to see her having for being this far out.  By example, Rurik is a Nexan, and he's come this far out because it's where the trail of his dead wife's ghost -- the one whom he first tried to leave the murdering business for -- has thus far lead.

Bear in mind that the League doesn't have a general policy on Solars the way the Realm and the Guild (and honestly most of Creation) does, on account of their isolation.  If you want her to actually be a known and valued part of the Haslanti intelligence/spy network, that's a valid option.

TFcommando

A few proto-pitches.

What about an airship pirate/corsair?  Someone who preys upon the caravan traffic of the enemies of the League under a letter of marque and thus a thin veil of deniability, or a patriot who fights for the League as a nation more than its current rulers (who she might be on the outs with)?  A Zenith with Presence Supernal for the terribly intimidating abilities.  That would be dependent on A) having an airship in the game and B) people flying around on the airship a lot, which might not work, of course.

Less well developed is an elegant courtesan/spy, Zenith or Eclipse, also with Presence and a variety of the seduction and sex-based charms.  What other RP forum will let you use them besides here?! :)  A behind the scenes type power, gathering information through a variety of means and using it for the betterment of the nation.  Fights with Dreaming Pearl style.

The invincible sword princess - knight-errant version.  Dawn with Melee Supernal from somewhere south of the League, full of drive to perfect her skills, but not for their own sake, but to be used for a worthy cause.  The place she lived before, a Realm tributary, was not worthy, based on arrogant Dragon-Blooded doing as they pleased.  She left there to find a place worth supporting (and because she probably killed a few DBs in a big, showy display). 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Cessali

Any of those sound generally viable.  A few caveats:

The League is more or less the exclusive fielder of airboats in the North (no matter how many times the occasional Lookshy envoy has wanted to detail their construction techniques and arrange for feathersteel shipments in trade), so a letter of marquee would be officially viable but act in fact as a very, very-thinly-veiled political disavowal of whatever the captain might do.  Having a PC who legitimately owns their own airship is an advantage in and of itself, but if this character doesn't want to be anywhere else but the air, I'd recommend reconsidering it.

The courtesan type, I'd want you to know that in my ST hat I tend to fade to black because I don't have all the time to engage in it as I'd like to -- not at all because I'm opposed, but more because I just don't have the time I'd like to have to do each such engagement out!

The third concept, like with all the foreigners, I'd just want her to have a personal reason to be in Crystal specifically.  Otherwise, any of these sound quite viable.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Jarick on December 06, 2016, 07:17:49 AM
@Heretic
If you're willing to go through the work of rebuilding them as a 3E artifact, Evocations and all, then I'll definitely take a look.  They are unfortunately way too good out of the box to simply port over, given the subtler shifts in the 3E battle dynamic.  If that work, or using Phantom Arrow Technique to generate firedust for each shot you don't have loaded, is not really something that interests you (and I can't blame you if it isn't), I'll be happy to look other ideas!  We're not yet on a strict timeframe for submission completions at this point.

That's fair enough. I haven't tried building an artifact with evocations yet, so let me play with that for a day or two and see what I can come up with. It may well need tweaking.

If it doesn't work out, as I said, I can easily switch over. My wandering Eclipse of many faces is the one I've run in the last few games, so he's easy enough to bring in. I'll see how I get on with this first though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TFcommando

That's always the issue with vehicle-based characters... a vehicle can be hard to stage manage.  You're right about the letter of marque being a thin cover.  Maybe she "stole" the airship and is "wanted" by the League (or at least parts of it), giving the government more deniability (to say nothing of keeping a Solar from being recognized as a in the employ of the League, which would attract Wyld Hunts and other unwelcome attention).  A patriot willing to be outside the law, as it were.  As long as the advantage and drama of having an airship gets used sometimes, that'd be satisfactory... not needing to have the whole game revolve around it.

Courtesan-wise, yes, definitely fade to black most of the time.  Just as you don't need to play out a Dawn punching out two inattentive guards, it'd be "The two nobles yield to your lips and after a few hours, can't even remember their own names" in this case.  The sex is the easy part, seducing and conversing is the more challenging part.

Dawn-wise, it could be the more egalitarian nature of the League that attracted her to Crystal, or that's what she says... Because she became smitten with someone in the ruling hierarchy, a complex to forbidden romance with other entanglements for one or both of them!

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Cessali

Sounds like a plan on all counts.  Any of those will do; submit your preference (or preferences?) in the form in the first post at your pleasure.

Zaer Darkwail

So far lovely ideas folks  :-) Just for note I am player who runs the nexian night caste solar in the game (dual wielding daggers which can be thrown and return to his hands or wielded in melee).

AndyZ

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 06, 2016, 02:17:52 PM
So far lovely ideas folks  :-) Just for note I am player who runs the nexian night caste solar in the game (dual wielding daggers which can be thrown and return to his hands or wielded in melee).

Wow...that's way too similar to what I was planning.  Okay, I'll try to come up with something else.

TFcommando

Now to decide which to do!

One thing... Essence will remain at 1 at chargen, right?
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Cessali

Yes indeed.  Only EXP gained after character creation will count for advancing Essence.

Arsene

Gonna try to fill out my little concept blurb for y'all tonight. I think I'm gonna go with an Eclipse diplomat, someone who seems unassuming and smiley but could make a battle-hardened warrior sob through words alone. All while still smiling.

Wheresmycow

Welcome those of you expressing interest!  I'm one of the other players, playing the Dawn archer/scholar Kyrion.  Figured I'd say to peeps.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Arsene

Name: Smiling Grave
Caste: Eclipse
Supernal: Occult
Why are they in Crystal?: Grave has spent their entire life in Crystal - appropriately - tending to the dead.
What's your favorite part of Exalted?: A fantasy setting inspired by something other than medieval Europe! Starting off as a powerful figure and not leveling up by fighting rats! Holy shit, y'all!
What's your least favorite part of Exalted?: Seeing as I've never played it before… I don't have one yet. I'm sure I'll find something to gripe about eventually, but for now it's all shiny and new and exciting.
If this game was a movie, what would your character's cool scene or witty exchange be in the trailer?:

The party is fighting their way through a castle. The other members have time to showcase their flashiest combat maneuvers as the group bests progressively more difficult foes.

Finally, they peer around the corner to survey their next fight. There's only one man standing there, but he's gigantic. An absolutely hulking beast of a man, covered in scars, muscles rippling beneath his skin, sharpened greataxe at his side. After a moment of silence, the party cautiously moves to step forward, when an arm extends to block their way.

The camera pans left, showing us the owner of said arm. Smiling Grave, a beautiful but waifish individual stands there, the same placid, serene expression on their face as always. They look like the man awaiting them could use them like a toothpick if he wanted to. "My friends, allow me to handle this one," they say smoothly, and step toward the barbarian, hands clasped before them as though they were approaching a prince.

The rest of the party turns away and moves out of view of the door, with the exception of one curious newcomer, who tries to keep peeking into the room. They are promptly dragged back by one of the older members. "Trust me, you don't want to watch this," he says.

The trailer cuts to the hulking barbarian wailing and sprinting out of the room in tears. The group looks into the room, where Smiling Grave stands, expression unchanged, waiting patiently.

"Shall we?"

Concept
The general feel I ended up going for was a psychopomp or a spirit medium. I wanted to have them be a straight-up diplomat, but the Occult Charms were so cool, and that combined with the North's focus on spirits and ancestors made me start thinking about someone who was a diplomat for the dead? Someone who speaks to ghosts and makes bargains with the afterlife. Happy to change anything that doesn't fit lore-wise, or to just hear any suggestions at all~

TFcommando

The Invincible Sword Princess was seeming kind of self-absorbed and so I came up with another concept... The Invincible Sword MILF, team mom with a grand daiklave.  A motherly but deadly army sergeant and trainer, she mustered out to start raising kids, her own and more she adopted. 

One day she got back to the farm to find everyone gone, strange signs all over... She started tracking them, ran into something terrible, Exalted and killed it.  Now she's dividing her attentions between finding her kids and protecting Crystal from whatever it was... And taking in more orphans.  I was thinking it could be a Deathknight or he Fair Folk to blame, or both... The FF might enjoy the drama in the wake of a Deathknight. 

Visually inspired by Cattelya of Queens Blade.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Zaer Darkwail

Cattelya is indeed lovely visual presented milf warrior :). Also more unusual female warrior concept.

Cessali

@Arsene:

Classy.  You've a few options from here!

The people of the Haslanti League place an tremendous amount of importance on one's dreams -- not surprising, given that two of their three patron-spirit-groups are smaller divinities of fate and of dreams -- to the point that the 'official' sorcerer's organization of the League are known as the Dreamseers.  Smiling Grave could very easily be one of their order, and have a personal focus on dealing with the dead, Haslanti or otherwise; this would give her more or less license to meander wherever she liked and still be on more or less official business.  While for the moment IC that there aren't any Dreamseers in the city, she could have been out doing something necessary for the order and then come back just in time to get involved.  Because Crystal is such a young city-state compared to the rest of the League, formed by a lot of people who are looking for a better life, there aren't many divergent traditions that have had any time to crop up or settle in, so I think this is probably your best bet for synching in with your concept as-written.

@TFCommando:
Sounds viable to me!  We'll say it was Fair Folk raiders for now -- they're one of the few groups out there that's really able to get to Crystal, given as it's so extremely geographically-isolated.  Fill out the form in the first post and I'll be happy to formally add you to the list of interested folk.

Arsene

Quote from: Jarick on December 07, 2016, 05:39:19 PM
@Arsene:

Classy.  You've a few options from here!

The people of the Haslanti League place an tremendous amount of importance on one's dreams -- not surprising, given that two of their three patron-spirit-groups are smaller divinities of fate and of dreams -- to the point that the 'official' sorcerer's organization of the League are known as the Dreamseers.  Smiling Grave could very easily be one of their order, and have a personal focus on dealing with the dead, Haslanti or otherwise; this would give her more or less license to meander wherever she liked and still be on more or less official business.  While for the moment IC that there aren't any Dreamseers in the city, she could have been out doing something necessary for the order and then come back just in time to get involved.  Because Crystal is such a young city-state compared to the rest of the League, formed by a lot of people who are looking for a better life, there aren't many divergent traditions that have had any time to crop up or settle in, so I think this is probably your best bet for synching in with your concept as-written.

Oh, I love this, thank you! That fits the character perfectly. I'm fine with them having been away on business, and this gives them a stronger personal tie to the well-being of the Haslanti League.

HairyHeretic

I think I'm going to scrap my initial concept. With the changes around magitech, he's just not coming together the way I want him to. I do have another idea coming together though. Dawn or Zenith, I want to check a couple of things to see what fits the concept better. Massive Northern barbarian type, who has a year or two of wandering the Scavenger Lands, and accompanied by a petite companion. I'll do a proper write up tomorrow evening after work, and when I'm not on my phone.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TFcommando

Name: Beka Telsi
Caste: Dawn
Supernal: Melee (swords)

Why are they in Crystal?  She settled in Crystal after leaving the army to take care of her children and is staying there to protect it from whatever attacked her family.

*The circle is in hot pursuit of someone and comes to a dead stop as a bizarre creature rises out of the ground, fifteen feet tall with three heads, none human and four arms, each tipped with a different bone weapon.*

"I'll take care of this, you keep going."  *We see her from behind as she takes her huge sword off of her back.  She brings it down, holding it to the side, touching the ground with the point.  The ground cracks under the pressure from it."

"I'll handle this."  She leaps up at the beast, her body and then her face filling the screen.  The camera cuts to the rest of the circle, moving again.

"CAN she handle that?!" asks one.

*A gigantic severed arm flies overhead, the bone spearhead that replaced its hand embedding itself in the ground*

"Looks like" says another.

The larger-than-life heroics, PCs able to shake and shape the world as they stand against powerful threats.

The more extreme moral relativism that is sometimes expressed in the (2e) books, making Abyssals or Infernals no better or worse than Solars as a general rule, or the idea that all Solars were terrible people in the First Age and deserved to die... and according to Sidereals, still do.  Not black and white vs. shades of grey, but that everything is the same grey. 

Also the "thousand dooms of creation," so many terrible things going on at the hands of hugely powerful NPCs beyond the scope of a PC campaign that will destroy everything without heroic intervention.  Big challenges are important, but there needs to be room to breathe. 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Thufir Hawat

I think you have enough players as it is, and I'd prefer a very small group anyway...but here's someone you might use as an NPC ;D!

Name: Wise Crane Ledaal (house subject to change, of course :P). That's Patrician Ledaal to you!
Caste: Night
Supernal: Stealth
Why are they in Crystal?
After serving as an Archon for years, he expected to be married to an Outcaste that was recently accepted in Ledaal House, as part of a deal between Houses. But she had the idea to try and persuade the Northern cities to join the Empire against the Bull...and an Anathema attack later, he was searching for her, and trying to come to terms with his own Exaltation. As a bonus, he needs to make sure to stay ahead of the letter summoning him back to the Empire!

People meeting after having tracked him to this place. However, they're searching for him for different reasons.
So they get into a fight, while he's looking, unnoticed.
A head falls over, and tumbles towards him. He looks away and sighs inwardly, unwilling to meet the gaze of a dead man he used to know.
When the winners leave, he decides they're not scathed enough. So he leaves, instead of stabbing them...but takes a memento from someone he used to know, and didn't make it.
It reminds him he needs to get better at using weapons.

Irrelevant for an NPC, but I like how violence never offers long-term solutions...and being bad at violence guarantees you'd never pass the short-term challenges.

The bean-counting >:)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

HairyHeretic

Name: Isbjorn
Caste: Zenith
Supernal: Still figuring this out
Why are they in Crystal? Dreams. Dreams that haunt me every night that I did not journey Northwards again. Whispers just beyond the threshold of hearing, a woman's voice, a woman's silhouette, backlit by a city of ice.
What's your favorite part of Exalted? Wuxia turned up to 11 :)
What's your least favorite part of Exalted? The Infernals. I never felt they fitted in.

"Let me go, damn you. Let me go, I haven't done anything." The spitting wildcat was held firmly between the two large townsmen, her long hair whipping back and forth as she tried to break free of the iron grips on her arms. Given that both stood a head taller than she did, and probably weighed half as much again, her efforts were rather futile, but that didn't seem to deter her any.

"Quiet!" The man's voice cut through both the woman's protests and the murmuring of the crowd that gathered around, ringing a space some 30 feet across. Head's turned in the direction of the order, and a thickset man with a shining medallion hung around his neck stepped forwards. "Quiet I said, and quiet I meant. I'll not say it again." The conversation from the crowd died, leaving an expectant silence in its wake.

"Now, girl, do you understand the charges?" he said, glaring at the young woman as he strode towards her.

"What charges? I haven't done anything?" she spat back, returning his glare with one of her own. "I was asleep til that goat-buggering lout stuck his hand in my shirt."

"Quiet! Quiet!" the official shouted, as the crowd started back up, one scrawny man sporting a fine black eye being grabbed by friends to prevent him jumping forwards with a belt knife drawn.

"Bitch damn near killed me, and stole my coin." he shouted back, waving a free arm in the woman's direction.

"Are there any who will speak for you?" the official said, turning back to the young woman.

His question got an incredulous laugh in return. "I don't know anyone in this .." her mouth moved silently as she discarded a few choice adjectives before they could loose themselves from her lips "... town. Yes, I slept in his barn, but if I wasn't cold and exhausted I wouldn't even have done that."

"You're guilty of vagrancy, tresspassing, theft and assault on a member of our community then." he replied.

"WHAT?" The volume of her response had most of those around her wincing. "I haven't done any of that. I demand a trial."

The official sighed and then nodded. "Very well." He turned to the side and made a beckoning motion. From out of the crowd stepped a man in a leather jacket that strained against his bulk. He was a good six inches taller and broader than both the men who held the young woman, and a grin spread slowly across his face.

"You have got to be joking." The young woman's voice wavered between resignation and despair. "Let me guess. Trial by combat?"

"As is the law." the official announced, over a background of rising chuckles and pointing. He looked around, raising his voice. "Should anyone wish to defend the guilt ... the accused, let them step into the circle and the truth will be seen."

The two men tossed the young woman to the ground. By the time she rose back to her feet, the circle had closed around her, leaving her alone with the brute that grinned down at her.

"I didn't do anything." she repeated, quietly. "Fine, let's get it over with." she continued, resignedly. "I'm sure you have innocent animals to molest or babies to eat or something."

Her eyes squeezed shut as he lumbered forwards with a snarl, and she winced as the slap of flesh meeting flesh echoed in her ears. It took her a moment to realise that she wasn't on the ground, or even sore. One eye cracked open, and in front of her a massive fist was held fast in the grip of an even larger one. Her eyes rose up and up, and she swallowed when she figured out just how tall the newcomer was.

A weatherbeaten face, a braid of hair dangling to the side, smiled down at her. "I believe you."

A curious whine caused her to lean past her saviour, where the man who moments before had been about to smash her into paste was down on one knee, fist and arm twisted in what looked a very uncomfortable manner.

Her rescuer turned a steely gaze towards the official. "And I will see justice truly done this day."

- - - - -

He's a brooding barbarian Icewalker from the frozen North. She's a runaway scion of House Iselsi. Together they fight crime!

Sort of.

He seeks Justice, I take care of all those ambiguous situations that we don't want him worrying himself about. Look, just don't mention that time at the place with the thing, okay, he gets uptight about that stuff, and I just want a warm bath and some pampering, not another lecture okay?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cessali

Sounds good for both submissions.  I'll keep applications open for probably another few days to give AndyZ a chance to put something together and anyone/everyone else a chance to also throw something up.

As it stands, we have...
Arsene volunteering Smiling Grave, an Eclipse-Caste Haslanti Dreamseer who is a regular mediator between the living and dead...
TFCommando volunteering Beka Telsi, a Dawn-Caste Haslanti local to Crystal, retired militia, full-time Orphanage-runner...
HairyHeretic volunteering Isbjorn, a Zenith-Caste wandering Icewalker pursuing justice and an end to nightmares.

Also, thanks for the notion, Thufir!  We'll see if/when I have a chance to put this guy into play.

HairyHeretic

I'm still planning to work on an artifact weapon, with powers along the lines of Righteous Devil Form and Caress of 1,000 Hells, but it'll be simpler to just go with a sword of some kind I think. I like the idea that it also somehow draws him to people / situations (or them to him?) where there is a need for justice, but not sure how to work that mechanically.

The law and justice are two very different things at times. Let me show you the difference.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Jarick on December 08, 2016, 05:57:14 PM
Also, thanks for the notion, Thufir!  We'll see if/when I have a chance to put this guy into play.
It was my pleasure. Use him if they encounter him, or if they don't, don't, he's just like any other NPC!

Also, good luck and have an epic Chronicle ;D!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

AndyZ

Looks like we need a Twilight.  Just got to think on a decent idea.  Anyone know if the crafting rules are decent?

Jefepato

Hey guys.  I'd be interested if you still want another player, although it looks like you have quite a few good submissions already?

Quote from: AndyZ on December 09, 2016, 07:23:59 AM
Looks like we need a Twilight.  Just got to think on a decent idea.  Anyone know if the crafting rules are decent?
I hate to say it, because I like a lot of things in this edition, but...the crafting system is really clunky.  You have to build a lot of small stuff before you can build anything cool.  And perhaps more importantly (because the first bit might work just fine, if you're down with lots of little crafting along the way), the Craft Charms are mostly going to see use in downtime.

(And yeah, I think it's really dumb that you have to build a bunch of trinkets before you're even allowed to forge a sword.)

On the plus side, if you do go hardcore on the Craft Charms, you can buy up a lot of successes easily.  If you want to do this without too much Charm investment, look at Experiential Conjuring of True Void and Unbroken Image Focus (under the Power subheading in Craft Charms).  See also Craftsman Needs No Tools (under Momentum), which lets you craft things much faster in addition to working without tools as the name implies.  So you can do all that with just four Craft Charms (though it'd need to be Supernal, the first two are Essence 2).

Zaer Darkwail

Well, the crafting dozen tiny trinkets is based on 'by crafting tiny stuff you gain resource to craft bigger things'. In short crafting tiny things you get craft XP which you save for bigger projects. Easiest way earn craft XP is perhaps cooking (which makes easily sense why you craft it everyday) or crafting wooden toys or such. Or build 'tiny models' for upcoming project.

Jefepato

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 09, 2016, 11:03:51 AM
Well, the crafting dozen tiny trinkets is based on 'by crafting tiny stuff you gain resource to craft bigger things'. In short crafting tiny things you get craft XP which you save for bigger projects. Easiest way earn craft XP is perhaps cooking (which makes easily sense why you craft it everyday) or crafting wooden toys or such. Or build 'tiny models' for upcoming project.
Well, yes.  But cooking would take a different Craft skill than most major projects.  I preferred the Second Edition way of dividing up Craft skills by elements which are fairly broad (and even then, people disliked it).

Re Z L

Quote from: Jefepato on December 09, 2016, 03:22:36 PM
Well, yes.  But cooking would take a different Craft skill than most major projects.  I preferred the Second Edition way of dividing up Craft skills by elements which are fairly broad (and even then, people disliked it).

There are ways around that of course.

Quote from: AndyZ on December 09, 2016, 07:23:59 AM

Craft kept some of the general stuff from 2nd, like the separate craft skills--except now instead of being split up by element types they're split by actual craft skills (such as cooking like Jefepato said).

I've heard some good things about the craft system, but it is a bit clunky as was mentioned already.  I wouldn't mind trying to do it (and in fact was pondering a Twilight to submit).

In terms of other Twilighty things, I've heard a lot of pretty good things about Sorcery which may be an option too.

I might see if I can piece something together...  I'm also putting together my own E3 game which I'll probably get going after the holidays.
A&A

Cessali

@Jefepato:
Five is going to be my upper limit for new PCs, so if everything looks good, I'm not adverse to taking one more on.

@AndyZ:
There are a metric crapton of fiddly bits in the crafting system.  (Some people have already, of course, figured out how to use it to 'blow huge gaping holes in the system' by RAW, though it's not as bad as the infamous Jeeves Wyld-Shaping situation of 2E ended up being.)  It's not hard to get good at shaping works of art; the difficulty comes in doing it -quickly-, which means (like Jefepato said) that your high works of art are going to involve downtime.  As such, while I'm not opposed to anyone taking up a Crafting skill, I very much recommend that if you do decide to get involved in artifice that the manufacture of items not be the single thing your character does competently.  Be a blacksmith, or an architect, or a weaver, or an alchemist; don't merely be "a crafter".

Also, yes, sorcery is amazeballs.  Moreso than in 2E, where it was still tremendously useful.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, focusing minor crafting is better for now. Example my own night caste has bit craft investment on being a blacksmith.

Jefepato

I wouldn't mind being a Twilight sorcerer if no one else wants to do that.  (The "best" part is that you don't really need Occult Supernal to do it, since Supernal doesn't get you higher-level sorcery any faster.)

Sorcery is awesome, although I wouldn't mind more guidelines on what sorcerous workings can do in terms of granting people special abilities.  Also, sorcerous workings do require downtime of weeks or more.  Although I think they probably should have Charms for doing them faster, as crafting does (the guy who wrote the working rules confirmed it was fine to have Charms enhance them somehow, and you'd really need to if you want the high-end workings).

HairyHeretic

If anyone is good with the mechanics of artifacts, I wouldn't mind a bit of help kicking my idea around. I sort of know what I want to do, in general terms at least, just not certain how to go about it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cessali

I've done a fair amount of Evocations for this game and otherwise.  What's your design intention for the artifact and what strokes (broad or specific) would you like it to do?

HairyHeretic

The central theme will be justice. I'm thinking a melee weapon of some kind, maybe a sword, maybe an axe.

For the base invocations I was thinking the weilder would gain something like 'Watchamn's Infallable Eye' for free, but draws the attention of those who are in need of someone to champion their just cause, or puts the wielder in situations where they will encounter such people. Maybe it's a Loom of Fate kinda thing, moving either people or scenes to where they need to be, if that makes sense. In addition,  'Judge's Ear Technique' while they have sworn to champion someone's cause, but only against those Fate decides are involved.

In terms of the more powerful powers, I would like to use elements of Righteous Devil Form and Caress of 1,000 Hells.

"Creation itself seems to hold its breath as the stylist cloaks herself in the majestic and terrible stillness of the Righteous Devil Form. An inescapable gravity seems to exude from her confident, unwavering posture, sending the innocent scurrying away to safety and calling the unjust to reap the whirlwind of judgment they’ve sown. The first time the Righteous Devil enters this form in a fight, she may roll to intimidate all enemies or inspire them with an emotion of shame, guilt, or remorse as appropriate to their sins."

"There is no sin beyond redemption in the fres stoked by the Righteous Devil. The Caress of 1,000 Hells sets an enemy ablaze with the fres of judgment, engulfing him in a swirling vortex of cobalt and gold flames. Within this hellish pyre, disembodied voices recount his sins and misdeeds, and offer him a single choice—repent, or burn."

This second one is the ultimate level power, one final chance to turn themselves around, and take the path of righteousness.

I've one or two other bits floating around, but that's the crux of it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cessali

Would take some jiggering around, but is broadly feasible -- the weapon sounds like starmetal-orichalcum, for the truthseeking and darknesspunishing elements.  Inspire those who need a champion to seek you out, attract the darkness to you for reckoning, possible options for expiation for those who might wish to turn from their ways.

The Judge's Ear-alike may be a bit much to add to the repetoire -- I'd want the determination of Truth to remain within the wheelhouse of the PC's capacities, rather than within a weapon's -- but when we're all settled here, I'll poke out some Evocations in free time.

HairyHeretic

If you look at Panthers story in canon, you have a strong theme of redemption, a life full of mistakes. A Zenith can provide that option of redemption, a chance for a new beginning for anyone who genuinely seeks it. I think that would be an element within the orichalcum.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cessali

Absolutely!  Defend the weak, spare the penitent, punish the wicked, and draw those who need aid to you -- or you to those who need aid -- all of that seems legit.  The only thing in particular I'm not sure there's thematic space for in this weapon is the Judge's Ear truth-measuring Charm, and that mostly because we're emphasizing the Shining Wandering Defender over the Mysterious Justice-Dispatching Wanderer.  If you want to be sure that you only attract people who -need- protection from, we could bake that into the initial effects -- something perhaps about sharing Principles, or only attracting those whose Principles are not in stark opposition to your own.

Granted, this could readily change if Arms of the Chosen opens things much more in 3E, but until then!

EDIT: And, if I'm going to be honest, I don't think the ability to measure deliberate lies from truths is good design space for a weapon that isn't -specifically- about playing with the definition of true and false, fact or fiction.  Definitely in line with Solar Charms, though.

HairyHeretic

I can pick that up as a charm instead then. I was trying to find elements that seemed to fit the theme of it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

Just to check: Zaer, would you object if there's another assassin?  I would imagine that Jarick could easily give us jobs big enough for both of us to work together...

Cessali

I figured as much on the testing the waters, yeah.  Better to air things out beforehand and all that so expectations are all on the level.

If there's anyone else who's been thinking about putting a character up but hasn't, please say so!  I'll be closing new entries on 11:59 PM CST on December 12th, as it looks like we have a decent new batch of folks.  From there, we'll get to the nitty gritty of putting characters together.

Arsene

Everyone's characters are really cool so far! I think there's especially neat potential for Isbjorn and Smiling Grave to have cool interactions, given Grave's Dreamseer position.

HairyHeretic

The icewalkers do have a healthy respect for the shaman types, yes :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Cessali

I am, but I've only got about five slots to add to the game.  For anyone who I end up having say no to, though, I am very much open to having people on an alternates/waiting list for the oft-inevitable case of player attrition, and it's not like I'm asking people to build full characters of yet.

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: AndyZ on December 10, 2016, 01:33:04 PM
Just to check: Zaer, would you object if there's another assassin?  I would imagine that Jarick could easily give us jobs big enough for both of us to work together...

I am not against for another assassin but if your char is from Nexus then it's quaranteed that they know about each other (if reputation alone as my char alias was Nightowl but it's possible they have met even while both were wearing masks on job and such).

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

Name: Virtuous Promise
Caste: Twilight
Supernal: Investigation.
Why are they in Crystal? Crystal has better libraries than her hometown.  Yes, even though it's a mining town.  Her hometown sucks.

Virtue frowned at the two men brought before her.  "What's this supposed to be about, then?"

"This ruffian attacked me!" the finely-dressed man proclaimed.  "I demand that he repay my damages -- no, triple damages --"

"Quiet."  She cut him off bluntly.  "What's your end of the story?"

"I was just asking for spare silvers," the other man, obviously poorer (dressed in rags, no less), insisted.  "He hit me first!  I never meant to fight him!"

"Okay.  And your 'damages?'" she asked, glancing to the other.

"He bruised me, here, when he assaulted me," he replied, pointing to his cheek.  It was a little discolored, if she squinted at it.

"Yeah, I get it.  He's lying," she pointed with her staff to the well-dressed man.  "The beggar told the truth.  Show this foreigner how we handle justice in Perrin's Crossing.  Virtue paused as the older men caught hold of the liar by both arms and began to drag him.  "No broken bones!  Well, maybe a rib or two, but nothing serious.  Minor offenses aren't a death penalty under my watch, and the weather's harsh out there tonight."

They quailed slightly under her glare, but nodded back sullenly, and hauled the screaming man away.

"You can't do this!  You can't do this to me!"

Virtue smirked at him.  "Sit back, and you'll see exactly what we can do to you here.  It'll all be over soon.  And stop whining, you're only embarrassing yourself."

His cries faded away into the distance, and she sighed.  She loved Perrin's Crossing, but she seriously needed to get away from this small-town crap.

They always thought she was young and naive, just because she was -- well, young, yes -- and kinda pretty.  Well, she'd teach them better, as many times as she needed to.

What's your favorite part of Exalted? I like the look of the new combat system, although I haven't played it yet.
What's your least favorite part of Exalted? I haven't played it yet either, but I really hate the new crafting system (already stated why upthread).

Re Z L

Name:  Dusk-Heralding Witch

Caste:  Twilight

Supernal:  Craft

Why are they in Crystal? 
Jibei's national treasures includes both the weaponsmiths at their disposal and the rare metals that they plunder from the underwater mines within their control.  The Witch stole away both such things from under the nose of Sword Prince Gensuji--after all she used to be one of those famed weaponsmiths.  Escaping north and east she left as much confusion in her wake as she could--giving the Hundred Kingdoms (frequent victims of Jibei raids) some information about the city's plans, as well as leaving subtle defects in the eastern defense-line that kept out raiding barbarians from the thick jungles of the east.  Making for the north, and the city of Chanta, she hid within the tree-city for a time until she was able to procure two things:  the assistance of a wood elemental and a small supply of Ironwood.  While obtained legitimately many thought she had somehow stolen it--and enslaved a servant of the forest--and so she was forced to cut her stay short and escape even farther to the north.  Having heard the stories of the famed Feathersteel she decided that she needed to acquire some for herself.  Rather than deal with the Haslanti directly it seemed more prudent to find some for herself and the small city of Crystal made itself an obvious choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cv2ueYnKjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g85U_MjrZY

The surprising diversity of the themes available to play and the high-magic and adventure that it presents.  Few other games give you the opportunity to fight gargantuan behemoths of world-ending potential in the way that Exalted allows.

The crunch of the game can sometimes be cumbersome.  The third edition seems to have greatly improved upon this by flat-out removing a number of concepts/rules from the former edition, but still a number of the rules can make certain concepts more difficult than others.
A&A

Cessali

Looks good -- thanks!  Adding Dusk to the list of submissions.

Cessali

We've got a solid number of interested people, so this is a reminder that we will close applications at 11:59 PM today Wednesday the 14th.  From there, I expect a few days of work and decision and Christmassing, but I'll hope to start getting back to people before the weekend is fully over.

AndyZ

Seems like we have a large group set up.  It may be best for me to just bow and let others take the spots.

Cessali

Recruitment officially closed.  Thanks to everyone who's stopped by and/or submitted a character; I'll be in touch by PMs soon to get this party started.