Interest check - Rogue Trader

Started by HairyHeretic, October 18, 2009, 11:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

The core Rogue Trader system is percentile based tests. Roll a d100, compare it to your modified stat, and pass or fail from there. If you don't have the skill you need, your stat is halved for purposes of the test. Each character gets a defined list of starting skills and special abilities.

The test can be modified by about +/- 30%, depending on how easy or hard it is. I'm tossing out a suggestion to make the dice rolling simpler, for those not familiar with system games, or Rogue Trader in particular. Dice rolling tends to be where system games slow down, so anything that can be done to simplify that is generally a good thing :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Chaos

That looks very workable, yes. I'm personally easy on system; what ever you think will run best works for me.

HairyHeretic

Well, the only reason I'm suggesting a system of some kind is give a degree of uncertainity over things like combat. Similarly, for someone who has appropriate skills (in character) but may not be as familiar with the 40k universe, a skill check lets the GM feed them the info they have, or would know.

Looking at the character sheets in the book, each class starts with a set of skills and talents. I'd think taking that as a starting point would work, and allow people to choose a few others, or swap around some.

Starting gear is going to be fun, because Rogue Traders tend to be INSANELY rich and/or well connected. You want a mastercrafted bolter? Not a problem. How about some xenos toys instead? A shuriken catapult maybe, or tau pulse rifle. Needlers, neuro disruptors, graviton guns, all available, and nothing but the best. Jokaero digital weapons, powerfists ... I think anything short of power armour seems to be available, and with the right implants you could probably get that too.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Primarch

If your still taking players, you just got your very own Primarch ;D
I'd like to play an Arch-Militant (Ex IG veteran)

Light rules or free form would get my vote, what you have above seems cool.

Voichin

I express interest to join as explorator. I'd prefer at least some system though.
Notable for bad manners and lack of empathy.

ONs and OFFs

HairyHeretic

Ok, sounds like we have enough to get going. Is anyone interested in playing the Rogue Trader themselves? They will be defacto leader of the group.

I've a few ideas kicking around for rules light, and I think I can work up something quick and easy, more or less what I've already suggested. Skills would modify the number of dice you'd roll. If you have the skill, you roll the full number of dice, if you don't, you roll have the dice (round up) using the appropriate stat.

That sound workable?

If so I'll set up an OOC thread tomorrow and we can move the discussions over there.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Primarch

Sounds good to me, is there anywhere on line that has a list of items/equipment?

HairyHeretic

Doubtfull, but if you tell me what you're looking for I can check. I have all the Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader books.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Primarch

Would a Shuriken Pistol, a Mastercrafted Chainsword & Carapace armour be possible starting equipment?

HairyHeretic

Easily.

Of course, keeping in ammo for the skurikat might be tricky unless your Rogue Trader is ok with handling xenotech. ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ptolemy

How exactly do we create our characters if we don't have the books, though?

HairyHeretic

If we go rules light, I suggested a method earlier, whereby you allocate dice to each stat from a pool. The starting skills are listed for each class as well. If you want other / different skills, tell me the sort of thing you want, and I can find suitable ones from the book. Similarly you can tell me what kind of starting equipment you want, and if it seems reasonable, not a problem. For rarer stuff, I'll probably toss a dice and see if you can have it or not :)

If you have the Dark Heresy books, I suspect a lot of the skills and abilities are similar. I haven't got the book read yet, but it looks like they want to make the two lines compatible.

If anyone else has suggestions for a rules light system, I'm happy to take them onboard.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ptolemy

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 21, 2009, 06:56:24 AM
If we go rules light, I suggested a method earlier, whereby you allocate dice to each stat from a pool. The starting skills are listed for each class as well. If you want other / different skills, tell me the sort of thing you want, and I can find suitable ones from the book. Similarly you can tell me what kind of starting equipment you want, and if it seems reasonable, not a problem. For rarer stuff, I'll probably toss a dice and see if you can have it or not :)

If you have the Dark Heresy books, I suspect a lot of the skills and abilities are similar. I haven't got the book read yet, but it looks like they want to make the two lines compatible.

If anyone else has suggestions for a rules light system, I'm happy to take them onboard.

What kind of skills does the Seneschal class have?

I have the Dark Heresy book, but I've never played it and I have only barely read it. Hopefuly it will come in handy, though.

Also, I haven't found anything in Warhammer fluff about ages. What would be considered middle-aged for people of our rank (The rogue trader himself and his senior officers.)?

Primarch

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 21, 2009, 06:20:11 AM
Easily.

Of course, keeping in ammo for the skurikat might be tricky unless your Rogue Trader is ok with handling xenotech. ;)

Easy you say? I should for bigger and better then. :P

Seriously though, as for rules and stuff, what you have seems to be fine. At this point the only way we'll know if it works is if we actually try it out. I'd suggest you post your own character's stat sheet, and how you worked it out, just so we can read it to clear up any confusion we might have.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ptolemy on October 21, 2009, 09:38:19 AM
What kind of skills does the Seneschal class have?

Barter, Commerce, Underworld Lore, Deceive, Evaluate, Forbidden Lore - Archeotech, Inquiry, Literacy, Speak Languages (Low Gothic, Traders cany)

Characters also have 500xp to spend on additional skills, most of which cost 100 or 200. They can also get stat increases (it would cost 200 to increase a stat by 10%) or get new talents.

In addition the life path chosen would see you get other skills and talents, to represent how you came to be where you are now.

I have the Dark Heresy book, but I've never played it and I have only barely read it. Hopefuly it will come in handy, though.

I'd say it will.

Also, I haven't found anything in Warhammer fluff about ages. What would be considered middle-aged for people of our rank (The rogue trader himself and his senior officers.)?

Between bionics and rejuvination drugs, someone of over 100 could have the body of a 30 year old.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Primarch on October 21, 2009, 09:38:52 AM
Easy you say? I should for bigger and better then. :P

If you're playing bodyguard to a mulitmillionaire, he's not likely to skimp on your gear, is he?

Quote from: Primarch on October 21, 2009, 09:38:52 AM
Seriously though, as for rules and stuff, what you have seems to be fine. At this point the only way we'll know if it works is if we actually try it out. I'd suggest you post your own character's stat sheet, and how you worked it out, just so we can read it to clear up any confusion we might have.

Not a bad idea. I'm still technically at work for another hour or so, but I'll do one after that, and probably move us to a proper OOC thread at the same time.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ptolemy

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 21, 2009, 10:15:36 AM
Barter, Commerce, Underworld Lore, Deceive, Evaluate, Forbidden Lore - Archeotech, Inquiry, Literacy, Speak Languages (Low Gothic, Traders cany)

Characters also have 500xp to spend on additional skills, most of which cost 100 or 200. They can also get stat increases (it would cost 200 to increase a stat by 10%) or get new talents.

In addition the life path chosen would see you get other skills and talents, to represent how you came to be where you are now.

I'd say it will.

Between bionics and rejuvination drugs, someone of over 100 could have the body of a 30 year old.

Alright, I have come to the conclusion that the skills in Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader are quite similar. Tell me, if I want to buy these skills..

Scholastic Lore (Beaurocracy)
Secret Tongue (Administratum)
Scholastic Lore (Numerology) + (Scholastic Numerology +10)
Scholastic Lore (Astromancy)

Can I can buy them? It ammounts to 500 XP in Dark Heresy. Also, does Rogue Trader have all the stuff about the backgrounds.Feral world tattos, world background (Be it Hive World or Imperial World, and how it influences your character) and such things?

MagicalPen

Having a recently growing interest in Warhammer 40K, I think I can be suckered into my first System (of a sort) Game, as long as some one would be willing to hold my hand through the process!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Primarch

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 21, 2009, 10:17:16 AM
If you're playing bodyguard to a mulitmillionaire, he's not likely to skimp on your gear, is he?

Not a bad idea. I'm still technically at work for another hour or so, but I'll do one after that, and probably move us to a proper OOC thread at the same time.

Customising my lead HQ's gear always was my favourite part of 40k....

By the way, once game starts, are we going to keep things quite by the rules, or more so make it a freeform game that brings in rules when we need them. Like say, I've got my two weapon choices, but should some unfortunate person receive a chainsword to the face and drop a nice Pulse rifle, would I have to give up a weapon or would the concept of "well its not unrealistic for a chainsword to hang off the hip, and my pistol to holstered on my leg, rifle could be slung over one shoulder" be allowed? (Assuming it doesn't get too crazy of course, like etc close combat weapons and pistols begin hidden in every nook and crany the human bodies allows. 

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ptolemy on October 21, 2009, 10:24:02 AM
Can I can buy them? It ammounts to 500 XP in Dark Heresy.

Sounds ok to me. Not sure I'd take the Scholastic Numerology +10, but thats just me. Also cos I haven't quite worked out how I'd fit that into a simplified system. Probably an additional dice for that skill or something.

Quote from: Ptolemy on October 21, 2009, 10:24:02 AM
Also, does Rogue Trader have all the stuff about the backgrounds.Feral world tattos, world background (Be it Hive World or Imperial World, and how it influences your character) and such things?

The Origin Path seems to cover that for RT.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Eeyore on October 21, 2009, 10:30:44 AM
Having a recently growing interest in Warhammer 40K, I think I can be suckered into my first System (of a sort) Game, as long as some one would be willing to hold my hand through the process!

Shouldn't be a problem.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MagicalPen

I'm probably one of the few people who has never rolled a dice in their life for anything.

I suppose I could take the Rogue Trader role since no one has stepped in that role yet.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Primarch on October 21, 2009, 10:36:35 AM
By the way, once game starts, are we going to keep things quite by the rules, or more so make it a freeform game that brings in rules when we need them. Like say, I've got my two weapon choices, but should some unfortunate person receive a chainsword to the face and drop a nice Pulse rifle, would I have to give up a weapon or would the concept of "well its not unrealistic for a chainsword to hang off the hip, and my pistol to holstered on my leg, rifle could be slung over one shoulder" be allowed? (Assuming it doesn't get too crazy of course, like etc close combat weapons and pistols begin hidden in every nook and crany the human bodies allows.

As a GM, I tend to be fairly easy going. My viewpoint in gear tends to be "If you're not taking the proverbial, it's good."

Now, I see nothing wrong with sword on one hip, pistol on the other, maybe a hold out pistol or knife tucked away, and carrying a long arm (say a heavy bolter with suspensors ;) ). For the richer types, jokaero digital weapons are built into rings .. needlers, lasers and flamers.

One big gun, and a handfull of smaller ones is fine for the more militant types. Heck, if you really want an eviscerator I'm sure you could have one, but not sure where you'd put it during a formal dinner :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Eeyore on October 21, 2009, 10:46:50 AM
I'm probably one of the few people who has never rolled a dice in their life for anything.

I suppose I could take the Rogue Trader role since no one has stepped in that role yet.

How familiar are you with the 40k universe?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MagicalPen

Not much beyond those two or three Omnibus I've read. I'm thinking that the RT might be a bit much given my lack of knowledge then?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry