Currently Closed

Started by Envious, June 01, 2020, 11:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envious

Current Overview Information
  • 75% plot, 25% smut - each time I come back to this, I get more ideas that up the smut-level. who knows how this'll turn out
  • any orientation of character is welcome
  • typical human/monster fantasy setting
  • mostly a structured (goals and objectives) roleplay with a no-frills dice combat system (/roll 1-10 = 4 is 4 damage dealt)
  • i will give broad information to help build a fairly generic fantasy world, so don't let the amount of info scare you away it's not going to be super special stuff
  • even with all the info, there are going to moments where belief is suspended just to have some fun. just go with it
  • one-two multi-paragraph posts a week
  • this is something I've wanted to put together for a few months, but I have such limited time it's hard. I'll be fleshing out the idea below. You are free to make comments and ask questions.

Subject to Change Story Idea Elements

Not all Gods are loving.
Every Cycle, an Oracle is born. This human is a miracle maker made flesh and blood to bring peace to the land. Monsters have begun multiplying - orcs, goblins, and all manner of nasty beast come out to rape and pillage the land and its peoples. Diseases have begun spreading - illness and madness infects a once-healthy nation. Natural disasters occur - earthquakes, floods, droughts, and fires cause chaos and dwindle resources. But during this dark time, the Oracle is a beacon of hope. Not only does the Oracle smite evil and cure ailments, they can grant, to a far less potent extent, similar gifts to the Clerics of the Mother. The Oracle is exalted above all others; no Queen nor Cleric touches the reverence that the Oracle holds, for they are the are the Champion. This is the will of the Mother, Goddess of the Kuros Nation.

Good things will be taken away.
The people of Kuros are used to war. They see it every Cycle and prepare for it. There is a strong, centralized army, but even the smallest village has their own farmhand militia to stave off threats. When the Oracle is born and monsters encounters begin to surge, those villages are able to hold their own for years without the need of additional support. But then the Oracle reaches adulthood and villages become overwhelmed. Town become overrun. Cities become oversacked (yeah, I made up that word). There comes a turning point where the might of the people and the Oracle is not enough to keep the monsters at bay, and casualties rise in mass. There is only one thing powerful enough to turn the tide of the war, and that is a blood sacrifice. The death of the Oracle, the most loved thing of the people. This too, is the will of the Mother.

And you will face the wrath of a jealous God.
The Cycle is manufactured. The Mother grants her children a champion by providing them with an Oracle. Try as the Oracle might to recruit a force capable of ending the monster threat once and for all, they are always overwhelmed. The Mother whispers a promise: sacrifice yourself and I will save them all. In the end, the Oracle always does. The monsters vanish back to whatever hellish depths they had previously escaped from and a peace settles over the land allowing for the nation to rebuild and prosper for many years before the Cycle starts again. But what happens when the Oracle does not sacrifice themselves? What if they just disappear? This is not the will of the Mother.

World Building Propaganda This is flavor text, not black and white.

The Quest
It has been four months since the Oracle disappeared. The monster attacks have been sporadic, but devastating. There are several well-fortified cities that are still holding up against the odds and Whitehill is one of them. It's the Festival of Harvest. Usually a time of celebration, it's more a drunken debacle of misery. This is where you are at. Maybe you're a citizen, maybe business or pleasure has brought you here. Whatever your reason, the mood of the day is further ruined when Whitehill becomes the target of a monster raid. Our story begins with conflict, not socializing, and that pushes our characters together.

The Mother
The Mother is the Goddess of the people. She is not believed to be, it is known that she is. She, on her own terms, will let herself be seen by the people. She may even grant requests. Sacrifices are made in her name; she doesn't want you to burn incense or leave food, she requires blood. She is generally portrayed as a loving and protective mother, but there is a definite dark side to her that is rarely remarked upon. I imagine the Goddess to be similar to how Greek/Roman deities interacted with the people. She is not the only deity, but she is the only one that matters in Kuros. Common phrases could include: What in the name of the Mother? Mother's Mercy! By the Mother's Tits! Basically, swap god for mother and add lady bits when appropriate.

The Oracle
The Champion of the people is born every Cycle (the time between the birth of Oracles). They are the most powerful mortal. The Oracle is always loved by the people. The Oracle always does what they can to serve the people of Kuros. Their existence is governed by destiny - they are born, they become the hero that leads the fight against the monsters, they sacrifice themselves to save the people.

The Culture
People respect strength. From a young age, boys and girls are trained to handle themselves. It might be with a sword or it might be with a pitchfork, but citizens of Kuros know their time in battle will come. Despite this, the nation is not an overly zealous militarized zone - long stretches between Oracles means people want to take time to invest in things other than war. Several generations might pass by before an Oracle is born. Everyone acknowledges the Mother and knows her to be real, but they may have different opinions on how to worship her.

The Queen/Upper class

The Clerics/Religion
The Clerics who are granted their gift personally by the Oracle and treated with great respect. While the Oracle is alive, they require no aids to their magic; they can heal minor wounds and perform combat magic. If a Cleric has not been personally blessed by the Oracle, a Cleric is required to make regular ritual sacrifices to keep their casting strength. Not everyone can be a Cleric - either the Mother answers your call the first time, or she does not. If she does not, she never will. It is very common for people to save particularly well-bred animals for when a Cleric passes by so that they can use it as a sacrifice. It's considered special to eat the meat of a sacrificed animal. If the Mother likes the sacrifice, it can be weeks before the Cleric needs to make another. The Cleric has an internal gauge and knows when their power needs to be replenished.

The Army/Militia/People with Significant Combat Skills

The Average Citizen
Is your typical fantasy NPC.

The Naughty Citizen

The Relics

The Monsters

Wired Rabbit

I'm definitely interested. c:

This reminds me a lot of a old Sci-Fy show called Haven. The main character was a lot like the Oracle. She would appear in a small, coastal town (called Haven) every 27 years to cure the townspeople of their 'Troubles'. The 'Troubles' are supernatural abilities that the townspeople are cursed with, making them monster-like. But, for some reason, the main character is always immune to whatever a certain townsperson can do. After she cures them, the townspeople live harmoniously for a few years, but the 'Troubles' always return.

There's a lot of AU and time travel stuff in Haven too, and it's a fun show -- although some of the characters get shit endings in the final season, but that's TV for you.

EDIT: The extra '{list}' is coming from 'The Monsters{/li}{/list}{/list}' in your opening post. Just delete one of the {/list}'s after Monsters' and that should fix it for you. c:
Howdy! I'm Rabbit. I'm a fictional enthusiast.
Posts Owed: 2.
Active Characters: 0.
Response Rate: 2-5 Days.

KB

I'm always interested in some fantasy roleplay! And as of now have some extra time for a new roleplay.

Envious

Hi guys, and thanks for your interest. Also, thanks for your help with the list tag, but as you can see, I decided just to get rid of the whole world building lists and list is still popping up! That means there must be something wrong with my top list, but I'll save that for a different login.

Really, the tag is kinda earning its place at the bottom of the post now  :P

Wired: I saw part of Haven and that's a really good comparison! I hadn't thought about it when making it, but now that you say it out loud it seems very obvious.

KB: Yes! I love fantasy scenarios.

Wired Rabbit

I solved it, I think. You are right, your top list is the issue. In your first line, where it says 'Current Overview Information', there should only be one list before 'Current', not two.  ^-^

Quote from: Envious on June 09, 2020, 11:10:47 AM
Wired: I saw part of Haven and that's a really good comparison! I hadn't thought about it when making it, but now that you say it out loud it seems very obvious.

You should watch more of it. There's a decent love triangle between Audrey, Nathan and Duke but then William shows up in season four and OMG, blows everything out of the water. William and Audrey had such good chemistry. Also, Dwight has a fucking dope back tattoo.

What kind of fantasy characters are we allowed to create for the rag-tag crew of rescuers? Like, are we taking traditional DND roles (e.g. a level two fighter, wizard, cleric, rogue situation)?  :-)
Howdy! I'm Rabbit. I'm a fictional enthusiast.
Posts Owed: 2.
Active Characters: 0.
Response Rate: 2-5 Days.

Envious

I have some life stuff to prepare for, so I'll have even fewer moments to come back to this!

For characters, I'm actually not going to give much of an outline. I'll give some guidelines for things to expect within a role, but I'll typically let people make it up as they go along and expect them to stay within the previous script they've built for their character. In a pve setting, I don't find much of a need for detailed character sheets. I'll have something brief so people can get an idea of their character, but it will also allow for change to better fit the group dynamics once we get started.

Basically, have fun creating a human character and as long as a player doesn't try something outrageously wild in the story, it will probably be fine!

Envious

I just had some great life event stuff happen that's going to take up the extra time I have to start this. So my good news is your bad news - the start of this thread has been indefinitely postponed so that I can keep up with the other threads I've joined/am in the process of joining.