News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

McCain's Running Mate

Started by Maeven, August 29, 2008, 09:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Quote from: kongming on September 02, 2008, 05:01:23 AM
Anyway, if McCain died in power, then that insane cultist Palin becomes president and then, the US will be renamed "The Holy States of Jesusland"

Kong, if I get within a fifty km radius of you, your getting a hug for making my night :)

CassandraNova

I'd like to refrain from discussing the details of Mrs. Palin's personal life that were announced yesterday; the pregnancy of her teenage daughter has no bearing on whether or not she is fit for the office of Vice President, or ideologically motivated on a variety of issues that I hold dear.

What actually caught my interest today was the announcement that Sarah Palin was apparently a member of the Alaskan Independence Party in the 1990s.  This is a group that advocates the secession of Alaska from the United States as an independent nation-state.

Not only was she a member of the party 10 years ago, but just this year, she spoke at the 20 Alaskan Independence Party convention in Fairbanks.  She had these remarks:

I share your party’s vision of upholding the constitution of our great state.  My administration remains focused on reining in government growth so individual liberty and opportunity can expand.  I know you agree with that.  We have a great promise to be a self-sufficient state...

Emphasis mine.

John McCain's motto -- and the motto of the RNC currently underway in St. Paul -- is "Country First."  I find it wryly amusing that he has selected as his VP nomination someone who was a member of a political party whose motto was and is "Alaska First."

ShrowdedPoet

. . .Ok, I probably shouldn't but I SOOOO had to post this. . .

The other day I was flipping through radio stations on my way to the hospital and I caught a little from the presidental debate in my search for good music.  So this funny scene pops into my head and it went a little something like this. . .

Four little kids are on a playground with the faces of the canidates and their running mates.  McCain is saying to Obama, "But you're inexperienced!!"  Obama replies, "But you're OLD!!"  McCain replies, "Well your running mate it is OLD!!!"  Obama thinks for a few minutes before replying with a snear, "Well your running mate has COOTIES!!!"  I burst out laughing and my little brother couldn't figure out what was so damn funny.

Just had to share. . .carry on. . .
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Sabby

Trieste

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on September 03, 2008, 01:32:23 PM
. . .Ok, I probably shouldn't but I SOOOO had to post this. . .

The other day I was flipping through radio stations on my way to the hospital and I caught a little from the presidental debate in my search for good music.  So this funny scene pops into my head and it went a little something like this. . .

Four little kids are on a playground with the faces of the canidates and their running mates.  McCain is saying to Obama, "But you're inexperienced!!"  Obama replies, "But you're OLD!!"  McCain replies, "Well your running mate it is OLD!!!"  Obama thinks for a few minutes before replying with a snear, "Well your running mate has COOTIES!!!"  I burst out laughing and my little brother couldn't figure out what was so damn funny.

Just had to share. . .carry on. . .

Heh! <3 Wonderful. :D

Schwarzepard

Quote from: CassandraNova on September 02, 2008, 10:21:21 AM
I'd like to refrain from discussing the details of Mrs. Palin's personal life that were announced yesterday; the pregnancy of her teenage daughter has no bearing on whether or not she is fit for the office of Vice President, or ideologically motivated on a variety of issues that I hold dear.

What actually caught my interest today was the announcement that Sarah Palin was apparently a member of the Alaskan Independence Party in the 1990s.  This is a group that advocates the secession of Alaska from the United States as an independent nation-state.

Not only was she a member of the party 10 years ago, but just this year, she spoke at the 20 Alaskan Independence Party convention in Fairbanks.  She had these remarks:

Emphasis mine.

John McCain's motto -- and the motto of the RNC currently underway in St. Paul -- is "Country First."  I find it wryly amusing that he has selected as his VP nomination someone who was a member of a political party whose motto was and is "Alaska First."

ABC has updated their article you reference.  The article now reads that Palin is not and never was a member of the AIP.  It also states twice that Lynette Clark, the AIP official who stated Palin was a member of the AIP, has said she is mistaken and retracts her assertion about Palin's membership.

ShrowdedPoet

Ons and Offs

ZK

I'd only be pro-book banning if the Necronomicon, Phonetik Manual and Passage of Ry'leh was real. But seeing as those are not actually real (in the sense of non-fiction). Book banning is horrible. Same for book burning, sure, I hate Gor so much I could kill the author, but I wouldn't burn the books. It'd be a waste of time, effort and other things. Boo book banning.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Sabby

The last things you Americans need is more pro-censorship.

RubySlippers

Well first the fact she belonged to or supported a minor political party is no matter to me as a Libertarian feel any state should be allowed to leave the United States they voluntarily joined it. Or they should be allowed to revert to territorial status if they want to as a simpler option. If she was a member or not its not an issue.

As for her religious beliefs she has First Amendment protections here to defend her even if she burned books for their "satanic" nature or has what some here consider extreme views. The fact is she is in a large number of other people who feel the same way.

And I consider her a Wise-Use Supporter as in a naturalist that supports accepting humans are part of nature and our existance has to be counting as part of natural order. So if we impact the environment the rest of the world has to adapt to it but we should exploit nature wisely with our best technology. As for promoting the oil industry what other industries are there in Alaska as I see it that was her job as governor to create jobs so how can I fault her for that? They need jobs and need money coming in to survive and there only so many options up there. I don't fault her here I fear Gore getting in and decimating our economy and Federal debt with more mandates from on high and more handouts to private industry.

As for gay issues its still fundamentally a states rights issue if the battle is to be made its up to local elections and state elections, even the president has limited powers to do anything in this arena. Abortion rights most likely also would revert to the states if Roe vs. Wade is overturned and I hope it is this should never have been Federalized. The states can regulate this and should as medical practice, that is all it is.

kongming

Quote from: RubySlippers on September 04, 2008, 09:44:12 PM
As for her religious beliefs she has First Amendment protections here to defend her even if she burned books for their "satanic" nature or has what some here consider extreme views.

Her beliefs fall outside First Amendment territory and into "Straight-jacket" territory. She funnels money into terrorist groups that seriously bomb abortion clinics (Pro-Life do a lot of killing, it seems), frown upon education and want to convert the country to Christianity at gun-point.

Oddly enough, I can't find the part of the Bible that says to do that. It actually says more than once that only the evildoers will try that with you (attempting to quell your faith with violence) and that you cannot force someone to believe, you can only show them the way. But that doesn't matter to complete lunatics.

Seriously. She belongs in a nut house, not the White House.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Schwarzepard

Quote from: kongming on September 07, 2008, 11:59:08 PM
She funnels money into terrorist groups that seriously bomb abortion clinics (Pro-Life do a lot of killing, it seems), frown upon education and want to convert the country to Christianity at gun-point.

What are your references, Kong?  I'd like to read them.

kongming

Here is the reference for her ties to them.

And here and here are some websites with more info on those insane groups.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

RubySlippers

Actually there is in the Book of Revelation where in the End Times ,according to the text, there with be the rise of an "Antichrist" and a "False Prophet" that will bring gods wrath 3 1/2 years of peace when they will attack the Church. Then Jesus in the final battle will come back with his army and angels to destroy evil and make everyone left that is good a Christian even the Jews, the rest will go to hell or be blasted from existance depending on the theologian you talk to.

So in fact they do expect a holy war to convert people to Christianity just its supposed to be Jesus doing it.

As for here views again she has a personal right to her beliefs and all, she as a private citizen can do what she wants and what court would allow Creationism in schools even most very conservative judges have ruled against that. Converting homosexuals well many evangelicals think we can be made hetrosexual so can I blame her for that, not really, although I think its not going to work.

Abortion well all that will happen if Roe is overturned is the battle will go back to the states where ,I'm sorry for saying this but its how I feel, should have been the original decision the application of the Constitution did stretch things in my opinion. And did attack the right of unborn children to live as citizens with the same rights to liberty as the parent if not higher being vulnerable. I personally think Palin is a bit extreme option out cases or incest and rape in all cases as well as self-defense when the mothers life is in danger. But lets be honest every state would likely support that added in and those amount to 0.5% of abortions the rest are for ,in my opinion, selfish reasons. What if they find a gene that says- this child will be a lesbian then the mother decides to abort the child? I consider that an abomination against society. If the mothers life is in danger then one can at least argue the existant life has the higher right of survival ,the mother, as sad as the loss of the child is. And I would include incest and rape if a minor is involved although a woman who is an adult should still have the child she has a duty to the unborn to let the child live even if she doesn't raise the child. Go ahead yell at me I'm entitled to my opinion and can make a great set of Libertarian based arguements to defend it.

But give her credit for this: she is sticking to her guns and not "changing her message" just to be popular I don't like her in all areas but she has not flip-flopped on anything as far as I can tell I have to respect that.

Storiwyr

Quote from: CassandraNova on September 02, 2008, 10:21:21 AM

I agree with you that the actual fact of her daughter's pregnancy has no bearing. But how she responds to that fact and USES it in her political campaign does. I've not been impressed so far. I feel that she's taking advantage of her daughter to make a point, and that makes me a little sick.
Lords, get to know me before you snuggle all over me. Sorry, but I get a little anxious! Ladies and Lieges, cuddles are always welcome, read my O/O for more detailed info.
"There's no need to argue anymore. I gave all I could, but it left me so sore. And the thing that makes me mad, is the one thing that I had. I knew, I knew, I'd lose you."

kongming

I certainly wouldn't hold that one against her, however I would use it as a perfect example of two things:

1) It shows that the Republicans never have a withdrawal plan (ZING! Oh, I am so funny)

2) It shows exactly how good the Republican-backed abstinence-only education works: not at all. It's been proven. There are studies and statistics that show this, but as usual they don't listen. Worse still is mixing it with the results of their "Quick, tell kids any bullshit to make them stop taking drugs" strategy: kids hear marijuana makes you impotent, and assume having a toke works as a contraceptive.

It's just become a bit of a joke, really, but I doubt it's going to affect her image much.

Ons/Offs:

Sherona

*twitches*

I have been looking for the amusing little clip of a Madtv or saturday night live, I generally don't watch that stuff but husband loves them. It was called Blue vs Red. And talks about the extremes of what each party Democrats and republicans must be like. "all Democrats celebrate abortions and promiscuity." and "all republicans melt at the word S-E-X and do nothing but pray all day" It was quite amusing that people tend to look at each party and think of the extremes. Its the same way with everything though, religions, scientists, etc and so forth.

One /can/ be conservative wtihout being uptight scared of the truth hiding under the bed for Rapture and the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ...and honestly right now I can not think of a single decent "all liberals are" stereotype to add in another example, but there are varying degrees. I dislike when people say "I have to believe in x becasue I belong to x party." No. This is not true.

Many people think (yes i know foriegn concept!) out what they support..hence why I don't claim any party but rather independant. I try to look at what each candidate brings to the table..

and despite the blog used as sources, I just really can't see Palin trying to use the office to evangelize or to force people into accepting christianity...scare tactics.

Still dont agree with her nor McCain's stances or policies but yeah...

ShrowdedPoet

I just did a summary of the first chapter in my U.S. History 2 book.  I think what Sherona is trying to say is very much like the way the book distinguished between views within ONE party.  Ultra Radical Republicans, Radical Republicans, Moderate Republicans.  I really love the way my history book is written!!!!  ;D
Ons and Offs

Vekseid

Wasilla has released electoral and financial information for the duration of Palin's tenure as mayor

All I have to say is, holy crap. It looks like she increased spending by nearly an order of magnitude.

National Acrobat

Fact Check .org on Palin

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_palin.html

It's pretty sad in today's campaigns that you need to do this sort of thing to make sure that you get the right information about all of the candidates because we are so quick to believe mass emails, the mainstream media and uninformed individuals. As an independent, it's sad that we have to do this for all candidates instead of the campaigns simply acknowledging the truth about the various candidates.

The Overlord

Trieste

The Overlord

As did I, especially since IMHO he's right on the money.

I do not want to say we should ban someone from public office simply based on their theological convictions, but now that he's brought it up...yeah, if you feel humans and dinosaurs were living side by side c. 4000 B.C., you should be banned from public office. That is Disneyland.

RubySlippers

Yes but Americans don't vote using their brains I think, I study all the parties and their platforms and then vote as I feel is best for the direct I want the country to take. And add to that only half the people more or less of people who can vote- vote. So a large number of people are out of the loop.

Its all about advertising and feel good messages while shredding the other side in that the Republicans made Palin the target for Obama leaving her the victim and freeing McCain from any real criticism- genius.