News:

Main Menu

Tablet Question

Started by Pumpkin Seeds, June 05, 2013, 08:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkin Seeds

Was not sure where to put this question, but I am considering purchasing a Samsung tablet with a 10.1 inch screen.  Does anyone know how well roleplaying books read on a screen of that size and on the Samsung Galaxy Tab in particular?

Callie Del Noire

Depends on scale of the text in pdf. I know that Mutants and Masterminds worked good on my Kindle DX, BUT Pathfinder was eyestrain. (Works good on my iPad ..haven't tried it on the kindle HD I was given by a friend)

Depending on the quality of the display it could be good enough. I'd look around for the resolution of the tablet in question if you want to know.

I've played with a few tablets and all I can say is it depends on resolution quality and the type set of the RPG pdf in question.

alextaylor

They're ok. I still prefer books. The 10' and 7' tablets have the same resolution IIRC. And they're the same resolution as a Galaxy Note 2 or a S3, so you'll get less strain reading from a smartphone. But because of the formatting and padding of a lot of books, they're still better than reading from a smartphone.
O/O

Ebb

I have a 10.1 inch tablet and use it to read books. Reading most RPG books is a challenge, since many of them are laid out in 2 column format, with a lot of art, and with relatively small print. So you end up having to pan around a fair bit. But logistically it's hard to beat the ability to carry around 300 rulebooks and supplements on one lightweight device.

In general I find it workable for either straight read/skim-throughs of new books, where you're not jumping around a lot, or for quick reference to bits and pieces, depending on how well the publisher has done their indexing. It's not great for really "using" a book, like when you're making a character in a complex system and need to do a ton of jumping around between sections. Paper (and copious bookmarks) still works best for that.

Callie Del Noire

My only BIG complaint about PDFs for rule books.. is that you can't really do a bookmark well in most PDF readers on tablets.