What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Quote from: RedRose on December 07, 2017, 07:27:01 AM
I think Morocco (and possibly Turkey once upon a time?) have a similar ban.

Turkey banned the fez, a traditional men's cap for many years. The reason being that it was seen as some kind of pro-islamist statement. Modern Turkey wanted to be secular. But with Erdogan and his islamic party, such things have reversed: now islamic symbols and headgear are quite popular in Turkey.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

And here in Poland, our PM resigns:

https://www.politico.eu/article/polish-pm-beata-szydlo-resigns/

Actually, she was most probably *forced* to resign by the PiS leader Kaczyński and the rest of the PiS political committee. In spite of PiS's claims, Szydło has always been a puppet PM, tasked with managing the government according to Kaczyński's wishes. She had no political ideas of her own and she had little or even zero control over some cabinet members. She has been just a loyal pawn... and now, Kaczyński decided she had to go. So she resigned. Supposedly, she's going to be a vice-PM now, working under Morawiecki, who has been a vice-PM himself until today. So... she got demoted. On the wishes of a man who holds no official position whatsoever...

It was a bit of a sorry spectacle, really - the whole "Shall PiS replace Szydło" debate has been going on for at least a month. And it was a clear display of how little Szydło mattered in the PiS power structure: PiS officials were making comments on her, openly debated on her future... It must've been quite humiliating for her.

BTW. Note the way this whole change of PMs happened: Szydło didn't resign in front of the Parliament, she didn't give her resignation to the President... no, she was fired during a meeting by a party political committee. The President's approval and the Parliament's vote of confidence? Openly treated as mere technicalities. It's a power structure straight from the Communist era...

Beguile's Mistress

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hades

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 07, 2017, 07:53:24 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/363552-gay-man-denied-marriage-license-by-kim-davis-will-run-against-her

I saw that in the local paper today, since the county where this all happened is close by, and also where I went to college.  I wish I was still in college just so I could vote against her and hopefully serve up a lovely dish of schadenfreude.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Hades on December 07, 2017, 08:06:37 PM
I saw that in the local paper today, since the county where this all happened is close by, and also where I went to college.  I wish I was still in college just so I could vote against her and hopefully serve up a lovely dish of schadenfreude.

+1 ^_^

Blythe

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2017/12/05/Daryl-Metcalfe-Republican-conservative-heterosexual-Pennsylvania-House/stories/201712050160

That's some incredibly severe homophobia, given that Rep. Metcalfe couldn't handle a married man with four kids touching his arm without accusing him of being gay and going on a tirade, essentially. >_>

Oniya

Quote from: Blythe on December 07, 2017, 10:28:09 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2017/12/05/Daryl-Metcalfe-Republican-conservative-heterosexual-Pennsylvania-House/stories/201712050160

That's some incredibly severe homophobia, given that Rep. Metcalfe couldn't handle a married man with four kids touching his arm without accusing him of being gay and going on a tirade, essentially. >_>

Mr. Oniya got that in his notifications yesterday - the entire Oni household (including the cat) was just 'WTF? ???'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

New standard reply to office harassment. "I have a wife, I love my wife. Stop touching me all the time."

This should be done regardless of gender.

Lilias

Next stop: manly men are not even to touch themselves (no, not that way).

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

RedRose

That is so strange. Italians "gesture" a lot and definitely are traditionally not "unmanly". It is so cultural. Unless it somehow means that men should be stoic?  ???
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

elone

The new standard is that all men working anywhere must keep their hands in their pockets at all times unless on the computer/phone/eating.

On second thought, they might be accused of playing in thier pockets. WTF.  :P
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Avis habilis

Quote from: elone on December 08, 2017, 09:01:03 AM
The new standard is that all men working anywhere must keep their hands in their pockets at all times unless on the computer/phone/eating.

But grabbing/scratching yourself is manly, see, so they may get a pass on that.

gaggedLouise

Sounds like having their hands folded/connected behind their backs would be the only solution... ;)

Lilias

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 08, 2017, 09:58:29 AM

Sounds like having their hands folded/connected behind their backs would be the only solution... ;)

Parade rest is always an acceptable stance. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Because of the way my brain works, this comment left me listening to Weird Al's 'Polka Your Eyes Out. (helpful link) - particularly the last three clips in the song.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beguile's Mistress

It's like the situation with one of our legislators who asked a person not to touch him.  The person persisted to the point he angered the legislator who ranted at him in what is now considered and inappropriate way.  I say the other person bullied him.  Both are wrong.

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 08, 2017, 12:34:41 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/one-dead-scores-hurt-in-palestinian-day-of-rage-over-jerusalem/ar-BBGo33f?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

What can I even say?  Its sad that this really isn't all that uncommon. Just business as usual on Planet Earth. :(

And most likely, it's only the beginning of the angry response... :(

Strangest crime story here for some time: A man in his fities has admitted to killing his wife, diismembering her in the garage and then frying parts of her on the garden grill (this happened during the summer). Meanwhile, he had filed her as missing with the police, but before long, suspcions centered on him. Not sure if the neighbours caught the whiff of what was going on, when the man started grilling...  ::)

TheGlyphstone

Did he confess after the police...

*sunglasses*

...grilled him in an interrogation rooom?

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 08, 2017, 02:06:19 PM
Did he confess after the police...

*sunglasses*

...grilled him in an interrogation rooom?

He probably knew he had landed in hot water, by then. But I'm  not sure he has admitted to deliberately killing her - though just as in the Kim Wall case, it looks difficult for him to deny it seeing that he dismembered her and hid the body.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 08, 2017, 02:03:12 PM
And most likely, it's only the beginning of the angry response... :(

And the cycle of violence and hate just continues :(

Lustful Bride

So, the Amazon Key is already showing its darker side.

As if giving strangers access to your home with the push of a button wasn't bad enough.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/amazon-wants-a-key-to-your-house-i-did-it-i-regretted-it/ar-BBGl9yh?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Oniya

I described Amazon Key to the family, and Little Oni's response was essentially this.  Then she said that it would be a good reason to set up a display of live steel in the front room.

elone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 08, 2017, 05:46:00 PM
And the cycle of violence and hate just continues :(

Perhaps if Palestinians were not subjected to apartheid/colonialism/racism, backed up by the United States, then there might be less violence and hate. Who in the world thought that giving the Jews of Europe, America, Russia, etc. someone else's land would lead to any kind of peaceful coexistence. Balfour/Truman, nice move.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's