News:

Main Menu

The Macho Sperm Myth

Started by Lilias, August 28, 2018, 10:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

Long, sciencey read, but important insights into the practical side of fertility issues.

https://aeon.co/essays/the-idea-that-sperm-race-to-the-egg-is-just-another-macho-myth
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Sara Nilsson

That was a fascinating read :)

Inkidu

As an adult who has had several classes in biology and anatomy under his belt, I don't think I ever bought into the idea that there shall only be one. It's pretty clear in the volume used that this is a lottery approach. Though I tend to think that the article skewed a little too hard. I mean after all the female egg is still a passive recipient even if the supporting organs are much more active. It doesn't take an active role in screening anything.

Still an interesting read, but anyone who thinks that men stay reproductively perfect against the rigors of time is delusional. Though on both sides it should be noted that the dreaded 40 barrier for men and women is only a 1% increase of birth defects on average, which is statistically irrelevant.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.